1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
A car missing tampos is a mistake. A car with different wheels front to back is a mistake. (except Mattel has started doing that on purpose...) A car with no windows is a mistake. I don't see a wheel variation as a mistake, especially when they can be made in high enough numbers for people to find them all over the world, but not high enough for them to be easy to find.

Exactly, Non-Supers. Even then I'm sure there are exceptions, I can't remember them all.
Having looked up the regular T-Hunts online, most of them since 2012 are weak. They're almost all Hot Wheels originals that weren't very desirable to begin with.

A car missing tampos is a mistake. A car with different wheels front to back is a mistake. (except Mattel has started doing that on purpose...) A car with no windows is a mistake. I don't see a wheel variation as a mistake, especially when they can be made in high enough numbers for people to find them all over the world, but not high enough for them to be easy to find.
Well, if you're telling me they ran out of wheels and replaced them because that's all they had. Then surely that's someone's mistake? I see it no different as when they put the wrong size wheels on.

If putting on a different set (not size) of wheels nowadays is because they ran out of stock on the original wheels, then I wonder if all the wheel variations of the Hot Wheels pre-2000 were due to the same reason or if they were intentional.

I remember searching eBay and TTP everyday for MR2 wheel variations, my driving force was the dollar value shown on one website that was never updated.

Well, if you're telling me they ran out of wheels and replaced them because that's all they had. Then surely that's someone's mistake? I see it no different as when they put the wrong size wheels on.
I'd rather not hash this out back and forth all day and since I don't work for Mattel and am only going off of what I have heard, it is what it is.

But my opinion is, they are not mistakes because that would imply is was an accident. Hard to spit out 100,000 cars with one wheel and 5,000 of another by accident.

If putting on a different set (not size) of wheels nowadays is because they ran out of stock on the original wheels, then I wonder if all the wheel variations of the Hot Wheels pre-2000 were due to the same reason or if they were intentional.
I guess we'll never know. Unless someone at Mattel comes out and says it's been intentional all along. Until then (if ever) I'll just see them all as mistakes.
Hard to spit out 100,000 cars with one wheel and 5,000 of another by accident.
Easily explained if it was a mistake by whoever was responsible.

Way I see it is, they make a mistake and some people out there lap it up. Of course that's just my opinion. I don't expect others to share it. ;)
I'd rather not hash this out back and forth all day.
You don't have to. You see it one way, I see it another. ;)

Last edited:
I'd chime in, but you guys know what I think about errors & variations. :P
Having looked up the regular T-Hunts online, most of them since 2012 are weak. They're almost all Hot Wheels originals that weren't very desirable to begin with.
Yeah, that's kind of where I'm coming from, too. I think the last exception off the top of my head was the Treasure Hunt Mazda RX-7
4bf5cedfe4_zps999fa0ae.jpg

Found the pic from my post in 2013. :eek:

Love those Surf Rods. My fav:

000000.JPG

Pre-Tomicarama? Those were the days.
I think I "hunted" then. Not worth it, guys. :crazy:

P.S. Just paid $55 for TLV Super Silhouette Silvia(shipped). Would've been $52 & change w/normal shipping.

Weak yen has rebounded(:(), so the days of bonus discount by exchange rates are over(:(). Not great for Japanese economy, not pleasant for my wallet(:().

Anywho, I checked out Japan Booster website, and saw that it was $47-ish for the preorder + 710 yen postage.... $53.22 total.

According to their website, $50/(Free Ship) eBay rule do not apply on the website. Preorder can be combined only with other preorders of same release date. :grumpy: Pricewise, they seem to be pretty much right there with amiami now though.

Edit:

This is too cute.

TOY-SCL2-55362.jpg
TOY-SCL2-55362_02.jpg

Last edited:
Suddenly, a VW Multivan appears!
IMG_4212.JPG

IMG_4213.JPG
You're probably asking why I got this van. Well, the van I get driven in is a VW Caravelle, and this is the closest match to it.
But this wasn't the only purchase...
IMG_4216.JPG
My mum thought this was cute. She only wanted it for the caravan:lol:
IMG_4214.JPG
Let's just say that today was an interesting day...
However, I fear that I may need to go to the ends of the earth to find some Japan Historics:mad:

I think I "hunted" then.

Were you "collecting" back then though? :P
Pricewise, they seem to be pretty much right there with amiami now though.

Yeah, I noticed that back when the CR-X's were up for pre-order. More or less is exactly the same price as AmiAmi. Nice to have another option. 👍
You're probably asking why I got this van.

Not at all. Great haul mate. 👍

Were you "collecting" back then though? :P
I was. I'm thinking about quitting though. You know what I'm talking about.
Yeah, I noticed that back when the CR-X's were up for pre-order. More or less is exactly the same price as AmiAmi. Nice to have another option. 👍
Which reminds me; I noticed that white CR-X was already sold out on Japan Booster. On amiami, looks like still available..... but for how long?

Am I the only person who barely bothers posting new stuff here and mainly sticks to Instagram/other social media?

The upload dialog on here sucks with my phone haha.

There are a few GTs being sold on eBay for about $30, and says it's being shipped from the US. Did these guys buy from a Malaysian seller meaning stolen goods?

I've come close to buying that Aston couple of times. Trigger shy. I also saw that mainline BMW race car for the first time today, passed. Picked up few hot wheels track cars for da nephews, that was it. I think I did receive the package from @Speedracer8218 though, along with a single car purchase nobody would care about I got from TTP online. Yay.
Am I the only person who barely bothers posting new stuff here and mainly sticks to Instagram/other social media?

The upload dialog on here sucks with my phone haha.
I don't bother posting everything anymore, but when I do, most of it will be on here, and/or my blog. I am now active on Twitter. I follow @Spacegoat @Niku Driver HC @RCKakashi14 & @Jordan on there, also hot wheels/minicar related people like Lamley, Race Groove, etc. If anybody else from here are on Twitter, please add me & my blog account: @a6m5zero & @minicarpics164

Cool thing about Twitter, tweet something tagging Hot Wheels, GreenLight, or Tomytec(TLV), and they'll occasionally give you a "like". :D
I only post my purchases here and I use a PC to do it. That's what people used to do before all of these newfangled internet phone thingies.
There are exceptions, but I'm pretty much the same. When I do post from my phone, it's been only on Twitter.

There are a few GTs being sold on eBay for about $30, and says it's being shipped from the US. Did these guys buy from a Malaysian seller meaning stolen goods?
I think that case is close enough to release that they are not stolen. Some stores may get them very soon.

Going through Sold listings on eBay, looks like the average sale price is around $25 which isn't terrible.

On amiami, looks like still available..... but for how long?

I'm quite surprised that both are still available, considering how popular that CR-X casting is. :crazy: Interesting to see how long the Silhouette lasts too...
Cool thing about Twitter, tweet something tagging Hot Wheels, GreenLight, or Tomytec(TLV), and they'll occasionally give you a "like". :D

I never got a like for my Nismo GT-R GT3 suggestion. :(

Dang I wouldn't mind having that Karuwaza myself.

The Huracans still go for over $20. I can only imagine the outrageous numbers for these Trofeos to be over $35.

I don't have any modern Lamborghinis. I wouldn't mind a Kyosho version one day.
I'm quite surprised that both are still available, considering how popular that CR-X casting is. :crazy: Interesting to see how long the Silhouette lasts too...
They are lookers, too. I can't wait to get mine, but... *checks tracking* Mine's still in Tokyo. :crazy: On cheap shipping from amiami, they used to take just one day to ship out of Japan, another day to arrive at LAX. Then L.A. Customs & USPS would spend a week or more before sending it out, arriving in Oregon three days after that.

Not sure what changed, but these days, It takes roughly one week before it even gets out of Japan. :( L.A. is still as reliably slow as ever.

Have you tried getting that white thing off the windshield yet?
I never got a like for my Nismo GT-R GT3 suggestion. :(
If it's not in Engrish, they probably don't understand(It's okay, it's not racist if I say it lmao).

Back