1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,426 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
Being fairly new to the hobby I tend to think that whatever is being hyped up it's valuable will make me a profit so I would buy an extra or two hoping to sell it. Guess I won't be doing that anymore and stick to my original plan: only buy stuff you like regardless of hype

If you know what you're getting into and you have attractive offers, you can build your target audience.

I have 5 Matchbox Teslas left over that are still waiting for a buyer to take them away.

If you know what you're getting into and you have attractive offers, you can build your target audience.

I have 5 Matchbox Teslas left over that are still waiting for a buyer to take them away.

I got a few BTTFs and Mystery Machines and thought I could make a profit but after seeing what they were going for on eBay I ended up wondering if returning them was a better option... I have no clue what collectors want so I should stay away from selling for now

Ask wheelcollectors on eBay. Apparently it works for them and they overcharge on pretty much anything that has the slightest hint of being popular.

They have a huge following as far as I know so for people that are looking for a certain cast I guess paying extra for the piece of mind that the seller is legit I think it's worth it (at least for me it is)

So, I've come across abit of a conundrum: So I finally think I've found where Hot Wheels got the shape of the 1970s Toyota Celica:

6218498356_3a2c74b627_b.jpg

So it appears at first glance, its basically the rally car. The ducktail spoiler and chin spoiler along with the fender arches more or less make this a dead giveaway.

Here's the confusing part though: It turns out the Road racing versions also have these:

ac99d7bb1bd2c40e858044d09572ea0f.jpg

Basically, I'm confused. Is it the rally car or the Road racing car?

The only difference are the lights in front of the car.
You should search some info on about which version of the car raced first?
The road race or rally one. In the end, does it matter?
It's a nice looking car.

super-silhouette-nissan-silvia-s12.jpg

Having pop up headlights that don't actually pop up? -45% cooler, surely? :P

Ok, I dun goof'd, guess it loses about 5% due to the lack of "pop up" in pop-up headlights. At best, it loses 10% but still gains 20 back due to being a Super Silhouette car. :P

Man.... Sub Zero(wrong thread). From Wiki, I also learned that "Nihon(Japan) Radiator" is today's Calsonic. 👍

Another fun fact; you can tell the connection between Nihon Radiator and Calsonic because the Silvia's driver was a then young man known as "Japan's fastest man", Mr. Kazuyoshi Hoshino, now owner of the Impul tuning house. #themoreyouknow :sly:

The only difference are the lights in front of the car.
You should search some info on about which version of the car raced first?
The road race or rally one. In the end, does it matter?

Its not necessarily important but as someone who likes collecting these, its always nice to know what certain cars are based on. That and come on, Because RACECAR :P

My 2016 resolution of decreasing the purchases by 90% from last year has been broken. From today's haul, I've got over the limit by exactly 1 car. :lol:

Today's haul includes a lot of brand new castings, some I initially kept pushing away, and some that took me by surprise.

Chevy%2BCamaro%2BSS%2B2016%2B%2528FE%2529.jpg

Chevy%2BCamaro%2B2016_1.jpg

Chevy%2BCamaro%2B2016_2.jpg

Chevy%2BCamaro%2B2016_3.jpg

Once the lamps get painted in, this will look pretty badass.

2016 Muscle Mania - Forza '16 Camaro SS

I got a few BTTFs and Mystery Machines and thought I could make a profit but after seeing what they were going for on eBay I ended up wondering if returning them was a better option... I have no clue what collectors want so I should stay away from selling for now
It's tough to make profit on anything new. If you can find coveted chases(GreenLight Green Machine, M2 has various chases, Super Treasure Hunt, etc.), you can make some profit. Only other cars I can flip & make it worthwhile are cheap online steals. It's hard to do though if you are new. Seasoned collectors have good idea on how much cars are worth. If somebody lists $20 car for $4, that's something you can flip.
Another fun fact; you can tell the connection between Nihon Radiator and Calsonic because the Silvia's driver was a then young man known as "Japan's fastest man", Mr. Kazuyoshi Hoshino, now owner of the Impul tuning house. #themoreyouknow :sly:
I'm having tough time understanding this example, but I'm stupid.
My 2016 resolution of decreasing the purchases by 90% from last year has been broken. From today's haul, I've got over the limit by exactly 1 car. :lol:
How did you actually last this long? Impressive.
They tricked me, but I found it. In addition to the end bin like in the picture, they had another Ghostbusters things next to Power Rangers in the middle of another aisle. :crazy: These were the dual pack, which I prefer anyway. Ectos from Ghostbusters I & II. Thanks mang. 👍
Dude really, it's kinda general culture!
You sound like total otaku right now. Vintage car otaku.
Also we need a close up of the wheel.
I just put that in there as a joke, Cano. :lol:
A "low" cool from me. :P
Yeah, you are probably right.
####grumpy.jpg
Had to google that. I never knew what Calsonic did before. :lol:
I'm still not sure. Just radiators??? :lol:

I'm having tough time understanding this example, but I'm stupid.

How can you not understand the example, Bonsai-jiisan? Surely Hoshino-san is a man of your era, in more ways than one... I mean, you're probably about the same age. :P

Ok, I'm probably exaggerating here, but Hoshino is far from being a mysterious man. First of all, he is known as "Japan's fastest man", I don't think his work has gone amiss in his own home country... And not only is he the owner of Impul, he raced just about everything, from Super Silhouette cars to Formula Nippons, as late as 2002 (and his career started in 1974)! And another fun fact I wasn't aware of; the Silvia Super Silhouette car he drove actually featured Impul's very first product; the D-01 steering wheel!

Since using Wikipedia is hip, here's one example for Japan's fastest man, and one for Impul. :sly:

How did you actually last this long? Impressive.

Thanks! I'm unimpressed by contrast.

I managed to keep the /64s to a low through a combination of visiting Walmart less, Walmart not having anything, and only distracting my eBay sessions with /18s instead.

I'm still trying to discover what the "Patio" trim level was on those TLV Geminis. Show car maybe? Even Google can't help.

How can you not understand the example, Bonsai-jiisan? Surely Hoshino-san is a man of your era, in more ways than one... I mean, you're probably about the same age. :P

Ok, I'm probably exaggerating here, but Hoshino is far from being a mysterious man. First of all, he is known as "Japan's fastest man", I don't think his work has gone amiss in his own home country... And not only is he the owner of Impul, he raced just about everything, from Super Silhouette cars to Formula Nippons, as late as 2002 (and his career started in 1974)! And another fun fact I wasn't aware of; the Silvia Super Silhouette car he drove actually featured Impul's very first product; the D-01 steering wheel!

Since using Wikipedia is hip, here's one example for Japan's fastest man, and one for Impul. :sly:
you can tell the connection between Nihon Radiator and Calsonic
But what does he have to do with the connection between Nihon Radiator & Calsonic? I'm honestly lost. :crazy:
Don't care, we still do. And by we I mean I.
Maybe later.
TLV June Batch and finally after a long log wait the Silvia Silhouette
I'm way behind on those R35's. Going to have to take up a 2nd job soon, maybe I can get caught up after that.
Digging the white GT-R.
I'm still trying to discover what the "Patio" trim level was on those TLV Geminis. Show car maybe? Even Google can't help.
I just checked the Tomytec page & it says that they were special version offered to select dealers. It mentions "mellow yellow" & "seychelle blue" body color made available only for the Patios. Japanese Wiki says Patio version came as sedans, either with 1.5L or diesel. I think they also came with year supply of Jamba Juice, but I'm only speculating.
Dude, early Christmas. Mine is still in Japab with other stuff in backorder lol.
Japab ain't no country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in Japab?
If this was Pulp Fiction reference, two thumbs up for you, Andy. Best part of the movie. Cano, screw you. :lol:

:lol:
TLV June Batch and finally after a long log wait the Silvia Silhouette

13507024_289301654792653_9202336391654232466_n.jpg

:drool:👍

I was going to order that blue Gemini originally with the Silhouette but I ending up passing on it because the Silvia was so freakin expensive. Might have to add it to my order next month, looks great.

Last edited:
Stupid phone. Screw you.

Screw you more.
:lol:👍
:lol:

:drool:👍

I was going to order that blue Gemini originally with the Silhouette but I ending up passing on it because the Silvia was so freakin expensive. Might have to add it to my order next month, looks great.
I whined like.... my usual self in the blog, but pricing is getting little crazy for 1/64, dude. Granted, great design, great execution, but when discounted price is nearing $50, it makes me nervous about the future of TLV collecting.

$60 for us down here, thanks to the current crappy exchange rates. :(
Well, before shipping. After shipping, it was like $52 & change if I recall correctly.

P.S. Weak Yen, Strong Dollar days are over. They are almost even now. I think free discount on every AmiAmi order thing due to exchange rates is over with. It sucks, but I'm not gonna lie, it was really sweet while it lasted.

But what does he have to do with the connection between Nihon Radiator & Calsonic? I'm honestly lost. :crazy:

Oh there's no actual connection between him and Calsonic/Nihon Radiator, if you were thinking I was implying such. Calsonic was just his main sponsor, and stood by his side even after the creation of the Impul racing team. The Super GT car fielded by the team these days still has that classic Calsonic blue, that's really it...

Back