120 Minutes of Thunder

• Thread starter left888
  • 190 comments
Well you can get away with some things on both types that others can. It's probably a little hard to learn to only use your eyes to gauge things compared to what really happens in a car.

I'd say it has absolutely nothing to do with their experience in the real cars and everything to do with making all the decision you have to make when navigating a track. It would be like taking an F1 driver out of his car and putting him in an M3 (lets say he's never driven one quite like it). Completely different experience, but he's still going to be faster than you or me in that M3. But possibly slower than M3 owners who have had considerable track time in one.

You do things differently in a sim compared to real life just because a sim isn't perfect and there may be some different behaviors.

Speaking of real world experience, I have in last two weeks added one of those squash balls under my brake pedal to stop locking up the brakes or having issues. Someone was talking having 0 brake something, but I didn't really catch what it does or will help? I know my brake bias in my setup is like 52.4 or so but I'm really unsure if I need to change anything.

Also I've just recently started playing with FFB settings and been using 16:1 for trucks and Riley DP. High means you feel more or stiffer wheel, and lower is opposite?

Well there goes my plan!

I was sure I would qualify with a low-mid 1:40 since that's my race pace, and my best lap so far before qualifying was a 1:39.9x. I joined a qualifying session, and on race fuel without any draft, got a 1:39.5x. Figured I just got better, went into practice after that, in clear air still couldn't get lower than a 1:40.1x.

Oh well, guess I'll end up in a slightly higher split than I would have qualified in. Hopefully my consistency and crash avoidance skills will still get me a Top 5 overall.

I got my time down to 1'50.3, still need to figure out how all the adjustments work though. I was actually the 3rd fastest caddy in my session, so i dont feel too bad, but i know theres lots of room for improvement.

Speaking of real world experience, I have in last two weeks added one of those squash balls under my brake pedal to stop locking up the brakes or having issues. Someone was talking having 0 brake something, but I didn't really catch what it does or will help? I know my brake bias in my setup is like 52.4 or so but I'm really unsure if I need to change anything.

Also I've just recently started playing with FFB settings and been using 16:1 for trucks and Riley DP. High means you feel more or stiffer wheel, and lower is opposite?

High is more feedback. There's a "FFB Clipping" program that you should check out though. Your wheel can only put out so much force, if you have it too high, it can't give you different levels of feedback between a tiny bump and something bigger. That's referred to as "clipping".

Eric.
High is more feedback. There's a "FFB Clipping" program that you should check out though. Your wheel can only put out so much force, if you have it too high, it can't give you different levels of feedback between a tiny bump and something bigger. That's referred to as "clipping".

I will check into that, right now it is set on 16, sometimes I've ran at 14.

Just trying to maybe see if some adjustments will help me feel more comfortable and allow me to drive faster. It sucks working 12 hr night shift and having little practice time this week. I guess I'll wake up early tomorrow to get in some more time.

Trying to qualify for this damn event. I guess I'm going to start being that asshole that cuts off every DP while I'm on my quali lap. Who cares that I'm 0.6 seconds up on my personal best! He's in the faster car and can't figure out how to space himself from the slower ones, COMING THROUGH GTFOUTTA MY WAY!!!!

So the race starts at 5pm EST? According to the time conversion thats when it starts for the east coast. I havent tried to qualify yet, did some laps earlier today but finished off my ALMS season on here tonight so im all raced out for the day. Tomorrow im gonna hit it hard and try to find a good setup though.

6pm EST. You can actually go to the race tab and see it there now. Shows 5pm for me (Central time zone).

Eric.
Trying to qualify for this damn event. I guess I'm going to start being that asshole that cuts off every DP while I'm on my quali lap. Who cares that I'm 0.6 seconds up on my personal best! He's in the faster car and can't figure out how to space himself from the slower ones, COMING THROUGH GTFOUTTA MY WAY!!!!

Now that really sucks! I usually let Caddy's have the line til I can pass without messing them up like straights or corner exit.

***UPDATED***

Riley Daytona Prototype As of June 29, 2012 there are 370 entrants with an average age of 32.9 years with the youngest at 13 years and the oldest at 72 years.

Countries of Origin

USA ..... 149
U.K. ..... 44
Australia ... 35
Canada ... 22
Brazil ... 20
Germany ... 14
Denmark ... 10
France ... 8
Portugal ... 7
Italy ... 6
Belgium ... 5
Finland ... 5
Netherlands ... 5
Austria ... 4
Russia ... 4
Spain ... 4
Sweden ... 4
Hungary ... 3
Argentina ... 2
Greece ... 2
Mexico ... 2
New Zealand ... 2
Uruguay ... 2
Caribbean ... 1
Chile ... 1
Croatia ... 1
Greece ... 1
Hungary ... 1
Japan ... 1
Luxembourg ... 1
Norway ... 1
Poland ... 1
South Africa ... 1
Venezuela ... 1

Cadillac CTS-V As of June 29, 2012 there are 283 entrants with an average age of 32 years with the youngest at 14 years and the oldest at 71 years.

Countries of Origin

USA .... 103
U.K. .... 31
Australia .... 30
Germany .... 17
Canada ... 15
Spain .... 13
Denmark .... 8
Netherlands .... 8
Argentina .... 7
Brazil .... 5
Sweden .... 5
Italy .... 4
New Zealand .... 4
Portugal .... 4
China .... 3
France .... 3
Russia .... 3
Belgium .... 2
Austria .... 1
Barbados .... 1
Colombia .... 1
Croatia .... 1
Czech Republic .... 1
Dominican Republic .... 1
Finland .... 1
Greece .... 1
Hungary .... 1
Indonesia .... 1
Jamaica .... 1
Norway .... 1
Poland .... 1
Slovenia .... 1
South Africa .... 1
Switzerland .... 1
Turkey .... 1
Ukraine .... 1

Last edited:
And those are only the people signing up on ISR.

Currently qualified 75th, half a second away from my PB, which could still improve since I haven't had much clean air.

Man quali has been crazy today! Just impossible to get a clean lap in! Every time I've found the perfect gap to get a solid lap in I've either locked the wheels up or spun it on entry at T9! i think I"ll just sit on my lap and go for it from there! Just hope I get a good spot on my split!
How big are the splits gonna be for this thing?

Jav
Man quali has been crazy today! Just impossible to get a clean lap in! Every time I've found the perfect gap to get a solid lap in I've either locked the wheels up or spun it on entry at T9! i think I"ll just sit on my lap and go for it from there! Just hope I get a good spot on my split!
How big are the splits gonna be for this thing?

Should be filling up the pits, 43 cars.

Ok, that's what I tought. So let's say they go with 22 DPs and 21 Caddys I should be about split 5 towards the rear of the pack... Not liking that idea very much... Might even go for a pit lane start if that's the case!

Jav
Ok, that's what I tought. So let's say they go with 22 DPs and 21 Caddys I should be about split 5 towards the rear of the pack... Not liking that idea very much... Might even go for a pit lane start if that's the case!

I think honestly I'm going to start in the pits unless some how I start first few rows in my heat. I like the challenge of picking though the Caddy's while not worrying as much about guys overdriving.

It's going to be a fun race! Got to get stocked up on drink for the race, lol.

You have to remember it's a 2 hour race, the only strategy I'm thinking of is survival. The fastest lap setter is not necessarily going to win.

left888
You have to remember it's a 2 hour race, the only strategy I'm thinking of is survival. The fastest lap setter is not necessarily going to win.

Exactly why I think pits arent a bad idea to let some of the field spread out or take themselves out. Granted you do run risk of getting caught up in the mess as you work through traffic.

I don't know if I'll be able to race this evening.:grumpy:

Here in Ohio, we had some nasty storms come through last night around 4pm and power, cable, internet is still down.

I give up. Even if I can get a clear track Im so frustrated I cant put down a good time. Ill stick with being 110th place.

Ive been practicing for hours now, my best is a 1'49.6 so far. I might be able to shave some more but overall im happy with it. I still need to qualify though.

I’m in a bit of a dilemma. Do I qualify on my quali setup or with the race setup on the same fuel which is 2-3 tenths slower?

Its a real chore to qualify today. I think most waited for today (myself included) to qualify. Almost impossible to get a clear track for even 1 lap. Good luck.

Just laid down a 1'46.605, which was .3 improvement over PB and around .8 better than my previous Q.

Smuffy, everyone is running Q setups, they will be slower in the race too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Anyone getting in the last chance quali in 2 minutes? I'm throwing away my mirrors. :mischievous:
Lol!! You should've done that a long time ago!
Ive been practicing for hours now, my best is a 1'49.6 so far. I might be able to shave some more but overall im happy with it. I still need to qualify though.

Do you need a setup?

Jav
Do you need a setup?

Im trying to learn what does what based on what i know from gran turismo, its helped a little bit in keeping the car stable. But im just not all that talented right now, perhaps a tutorial on what does what would really help.

Back