120 Minutes of Thunder

• Thread starter left888
  • 190 comments
Im trying to learn what does what based on what i know from gran turismo, its helped a little bit in keeping the car stable. But im just not all that talented right now, perhaps a tutorial on what does what would really help.

Forget everything you ever learned on GT5, evrything on GT5 is backwards from reality, literally. iRacing's adjustmets are pretty much hand in hand with reality but work on a different curve if you will...

Thanks Jav! Ill check it out for sure, i just started my first quali session and i got 1'48.8 with low fuel. I didnt think it would make that much of a difference, almost a full second faster.

Thanks Jav! Ill check it out for sure, i just started my first quali session and i got 1'48.8 with low fuel. I didnt think it would make that much of a difference, almost a full second faster.

Good stuff! That's a pretty good time! Fuel load really makes the difference here, it'll be a pretty important factor in your strategy today!
Here's my Watkins Set if you wanna give it a try:
View attachment Jav_WatkinsR.rar
The fuel load on that set will only get you about 35 minutes of racing so you'll need to add about 5-7 gallons if you wanna make it trough the first hour...

Jav
Good stuff! That's a pretty good time! Fuel load really makes the difference here, it'll be a pretty important factor in your strategy today!
Here's my Watkins Set if you wanna give it a try:
View attachment 78597
The fuel load on that set will only get you about 35 minutes of racing so you'll need to add about 5-7 gallons if you wanna make it trough the first hour...

Thats another thing im worried about, i havent done any endurance racing yet and havent needed to pit. So im kind of unsure how long i can run or when ill need to come in. Either way im just wanting to have fun and not wreck myself or anyone. I imagine i wont be the fastest, but if i can be safe who knows.

Thats another thing im worried about, i havent done any endurance racing yet and havent needed to pit. So im kind of unsure how long i can run or when ill need to come in. Either way im just wanting to have fun and not wreck myself or anyone. I imagine i wont be the fastest, but if i can be safe who knows.

Just do your race, use the F3 display, whenever you're ready to pit set the ammount of fuel you wanna take on the fuel display and weather or not you wanna take tires. Delta splits display also helps to keep you consistent and on target. Just make sure you have those displays assigned to your wheel or an accesible device.

Jav
Just do your race, use the F3 display, whenever you're ready to pit set the ammount of fuel you wanna take on the fuel display and weather or not you wanna take tires. Delta splits display also helps to keep you consistent and on target. Just make sure you have those displays assigned to your wheel or an accesible device.

Definitely going to want tires. No reason not to when you're putting in a full tank of fuel. I might skip tires on the last stop, I expect that the Caddys will need somewhere from 2.25-2.5 tanks of fuel.

I'm definitely taking tires on my stop! I may loose a few seconds on the pits by running with a lighter tank on my first stint but I hope to gain some on the track on fresher tires. Let's see how this goes!
398 DPs have qualified at this moment and 219 Cadillacs! This is gonna be fun!!

You'll know your split once the race ends, you v=can kind of guess based on your quali possition on the series stats.

Was really great racing the first 40 mins, however I had to quit due to massive lag. ?!?!
Never happened to me before in iRacing. Had consistent 250+FPS but my "L" bar was fully red and so were the other bars too.

Girlfriend was asleep, no other PC's were downloading... just sad cause it was a great race!

Will upload a short clip tomorrow

Cheers

Chris

I think I was in split 3 in rookie, and lap one was a mess. Huge pileup in turn one, then few turns later another one, which I didn't make it through, it was a never ending pit deal.

I think the biggest thing I had happen is some Caddy just turned across the track as I was passing them coming up the hill through 2 and 3. I did have fun racing once I finally got out of the pits.

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=5947884&custid=79323

Finished 4th in my split with zero incidents. Started almost at the back too, feeling pretty good. :)

I had some hairy moments, narrowly avoiding some BIG wrecks. I think at one point I drove directly under a car flipping in the air because I had nowhere else to go, going to try to find it in the replay. Had to avoid some fairly stupid decisions by both DP's and Caddies that I was passing. Please people, if you want to let me by, don't slam on the brakes, it's a nice thought, but just slowly roll off the throttle.

Great racing overall in my split, it's weird that the Caddies started in front, I think that might have been an oversight by iRacing, kinda strange.

Had a ton of fun though, and this was my first endurance race using my Derek Speare Pro Sequential and it made it AWESOME. I love this shifter so much, and it was great fun going through the first s-corners one handed with my other hand on the shifter. :) Thanks Derek!

I’m NEVER doing a rookie road endurance again. Lap 1 was a mess due to people spinning, locking breaks etc. The race was like that until about 5 minutes in because ¾ of the field were in the pits.

About an hour in I got t-boned through the S-bends by a spinning caddy and rear ended by a DP. I used my reset and as soon as I exited the pits was turned by an impatient DP. Finished 4th because of that and was 5 laps down
:grumpy:

Split three. Tenth place finish. Would have been finishing around sixth I think, but with 16 minutes to go I lost it in turn 5 under braking, slammed the wall hard. Got a tow, 2 minutes require repairs, 11 minutes or so optional. Took the required, launched down pit road, only to feel like I have no control arms attached at the rear end. I had gone too far to risk backing up and getting DQ, so I towed again (3 minutes...I'm sitting at the exit of pit road), then 11 minutes or whatever of "optional" repairs. Race finished two minutes before the repairs.

I only had three incidents before my spin. One was taking the grass to avoid a pileup out of turn 6 (and to avoid being ran over by those checking up mid turn and spinning). DP drivers were very good to us, one nearly dive bombed me and he hit the brakes and went off at T1. Another decided to run up besides me in the esses, which is a huge no-no.

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=5947877&custid=81879

I was in the 3rd split starting near the bk. I did not have fun! Y did the caddys start at the front!!? That was stupid! Within the first 5 laps someone dive bombed me into t1 and left me with a 20min repair! Ended up coming 14th out of 24 Riley's. The caddys starting in the front meant that for the first 4 laps everyone was doing caddy pace which in the Riley is about 10 secs a lap slower! It was carnage I wish I started from the pits but then again what fun is that?!

So the * indicates which split you were in? If so then i was in the 2nd split. Lap 1 was an absolute mess, caddy's everywhere were spinning and somehow i survived with minimal damage. My steering wheel was cocked to the right slightly but it didnt bother the handling much. I started 12th and worked my way up to 1st before i had to pit, then when i got back out i was in 4th just churning the laps away. Then BAM a DP slams me hard from behind and i go flying into the wall. Spent 18 minutes in the pits and went from 4th to 10th. When i got it fixed my wheel was cocked 30 degrees to the right, and i never really got up to full speed again. I did however manage to finish 9th and i had a blast overall. Cant wait to do it again!

I was 33rd out of 39, a 24 minute repair took me out of action. Other then a couple of poor DP's on the track I had a blast. I finished the race and although I had a high incident half of were from pulling over or getting bumped by DP's and half by not taking my line because I watch my mirrors too much. Overall I had a blast, great fun.

I wish iRacing always split by quali. That was the hardest racing I've had outside of league events. Best I could do was match the pace of the couple CTS-VRs around me. I feel like the start ruined both races...The Cadillac field got so spread out, with those giving up time to let the DPs through really getting separated.

How do they split by iRating when you don't qualify anyways? They said that's how this race worked. Dump the non-qualifying guys into the last split? So if a 4000 iR guy decides he wants to dominate the bottom split he can just not qualify?

Jav
So frustrated and pis_ed right now, I wanna punch someone in the face!

I feel you :ouch:

So i tried to save the replay, but it only saved the last 37 minutes of the race. Is this normal? I wanted to see the incident where i got taken out.

Thats what i was wondering. If iracing split by qualify times people could just sandbag no?

You'll find Sandbaggers in every opportunity possible and iRacing is no exception.

Jav
Arrghhhh!!! Sitting on the pits with 4 minute repairs! Lead the mos laps and got taken out from the lead with 20 to go! Got squeezed by a Caddy for no apparent reason! Damn it!
http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=5947879&custid=68646

That sucks Jav.

Yeah, sandbaggers might be a problem in some rare cases, but I think for the most part it wouldn't be a big deal. If you don't qualify and end up in the bottom split and win it, you would get less points than ending up in the top split and finishing a bit lower. They would have to restructure the points though to be based a flat system (1st place in top split gets 50pts, 1st place in next split get 25pts, etc) instead of basing it on the SOF.

Oh and thanks to Neil Hind who got me an awesome Autobacs paint job just a day before the race!

dp5u.jpg

If anyone else wants it, it should be in his free paints thread soon. Thanks Neil!

Back