17 Years Later, The Porsche 911 GT3 (996) Car Is Finally Coming to Gran Turismo

VXR
I will probably try that at some point.
I have too many consoles to go out and fork out cash for a steering for each one. This solved it for a fraction of the cost. I use my G27 on my PC, PS3, PS4 and XBox One. I'm pretty sure it works on my PS2 also IIRC.

I have too many consoles to go out and fork out cash for a steering for each one. This solved it for a fraction of the cost. I use my G27 on my PC, PS3, PS4 and XBox One. I'm pretty sure it works on my PS2 also IIRC.
The eye watering price tags are what have scared me off of wheels in general, regardless of whether they'll remain confined to one platform or not. Using a wheel would be fun but I don't have a good setup for one.

Also, I hope the NSX Type R is a six figure car in game so it's eligible for you know what.

Finally, we are seeing some new Porsches for the first time with the 997 GT3 and the (in)famous 996 GT3.

As for people suggesting the Alfa 156 TC, BMW 320i ETCC and the Lexus IS200 GT-1, they could be shoved into Gr.4, since the former two are obviously Touring Cars, while for the IS200, well, it could be a Mégane Trophy beater for all intents and purposes.
They would all be fun entries into Group 4. Especially the Lexus.

The eye watering price tags are what have scared me off of wheels in general, regardless of whether they'll remain confined to one platform or not. Using a wheel would be fun but I don't have a good setup for one.

Using a wheel has changed me for racing games. I can't go back to a controller. There are some cheap solutions for wheel setups. Even some DIY setups that won't hurt the wallet.

The biggest news for me is that the 996 and 997 GT3s will be manuals. Those of us rocking wheels with shifters will cream our pants. I was hoping for the manual 911R and Cayman GT4 street version, but this is certainly welcome news! PD please bring in some air-cooled goodness too! (hint: 2.7 RS with ducktail! RWB 993! Singer DLS!)

I like the 996, i think Porsche was brave enough to try something new and succeeded, in my opinion. Obviously, I'm part of a minority group.
To me, the 964 is the best looking 911 generation, followed by the 991 gen.

The crux of the issue is that PDs output is slow, so there is less chance that each update will include cars that people like. More (non duplicates) is more.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the 996 GT3 has a full cage instead of the usual roll bar, which is weird. Why would they do that?

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems like it's the Clubsport version.
All the better for a Cup series. Just hope the suspension is extra tight. I'm talking Gr. 4 tight. The 991 GT2 squats, dives and rolls too much for me.

It will be around 80K. But, if we get 2002 version too, that will cost around 120K.
The kei cars got a bit of a discount in price. I'd like the price higher because it's classic status similar to the E30. That could have been a 50k car, but it's one of those icons. Sure, the GT-Rs can be seen as icons as well. It's just the NSX-R is the first Type R.

I'll say, when the hakosuka, Ken-Meri and ZG arrive, they'll get prices in the Toyota 2000GT range.

Using a wheel has changed me for racing games. I can't go back to a controller. There are some cheap solutions for wheel setups. Even some DIY setups that won't hurt the wallet.
I'd love to use a wheel but I'm not willing to spend the money. And I don't know how to have a good setup. I'd be stuck putting it on a coffee table.

I'd love to use a wheel but I'm not willing to spend the money. And I don't know how to have a good setup. I'd be stuck putting it on a coffee table.

My first setup was literally 3 pieces of pressboard nailed together, and my couch. Believe me when I say that a FFB wheel hooked onto literal garbage, is about a 20,000% improvement over a controller. Do what you need to do to get a wheel.

My $0.02

My first setup was an Ikea table. Simple, cheap and did the trick until I got this:
item_XL_4529463_1080994.jpg

I got it for free from work basically through a rewards program. Absolutely fantastic piece of equipment!

My first setup was literally 3 pieces of pressboard nailed together, and my couch. Believe me when I say that a FFB wheel hooked onto literal garbage, is about a 20,000% improvement over a controller. Do what you need to do to get a wheel.

My $0.02
I have the means to get a wheel, I just don't want one because I'm dumb.

VXR
That's absolutely awesome news, and the 997 version as well!

The decision to get a wheel for my PS4 and not my XBO seems entirely justified right now.
Get a Fanatec CSL E for PS4, it's PS4, PC, and Xbox compatible.
Or get the Drive Hub adapter, it makes all Supported Wheels, both PS4 and Xbox compatible..

https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/allconsoles/drivehub/

use code gtplanet10 for 10% off

list of wheels supported..
https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/allconsoles/drivehub/#tab-product_editor_328_tab

We do need more Porsches, and I hope one day we will have the extremely fast 2018 911 GT2RS, so far this car has been a Forza Franchise "exclusive".
Even if we can't there are a lot of cars that should come to the Porsche roster. Like the 918 or the 962.

Also, I hope the NSX Type R is a six figure car in game so it's eligible for you know what.

If it is, THEN, even I'll start doing it.

I need to suck it up and drop $200 for the VR goggles...

As for a cheap rig, look into Playseat Challenge. I got mine for around $180 picked up during Black Friday sales. The T300 Alcantara wheel was around $300 as well.

I doubt the NSX will cost much. Under 200k credits would be reasonable.

I got an info that 997.2 GT3 made its debut in 2009.

...Yes, in GTS, it's currently referred as a '08 car.
Is this a mistake?

The 997.2 came out in 2008* - but in US terms that's a 2009 model year.

(*Although the GT3 version probably didn't come out at the same time)

Latest Posts

Back