2008 Brazilian Grand Prix

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 518 comments

I'm from England.

Am I English or British?

:rolleyes:

Whoa, please don't be offended. I just was confused and wanted for someone to clear that up, I mean of no offense to you at all.

He's Scottish, but they show the Union Jack because it represents England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. For some reason they don't all count as separate countries.

To put in it religious terms, Scottish is like a denomination of British!

I think its because the UK government rules over all countries in the UK. So the UK is considered as a nation in everything except for certain sports.

Okay I see now.

Funny as it is, it seems a shame that Glock has become a scapegoat.
Or Scape-Glock. :(

He's now officially replaced Bourdais as the driver I feel sorry for.
Massa and Glock on my part. :(

Another question for everyone here, how was the race covered in your local papers on Monday? Where was the story and how long were they?

Last edited:
I don't get any local papers (Los Angeles Times, Orange County Register) but I doubt there was much in there about it.

I don't get the paper, but it wasn't even on the front-page of ESPN.com's website on Monday morning.

I was actually surprised, since Vettel's win was...

Strange, you'd think more Americans would gain an interest in F1 now that an African-American is world champion.
[/joke]

Another question for everyone here, how was the race covered in your local papers on Monday? Where was the story and how long were they?

Front page on all the nationals, and about 8 pages in the sport sections (F1 normally gets 2-3 at the most).

Whoa, please don't be offended. I just was confused and wanted for someone to clear that up, I mean of no offense to you at all.

You didn't offend, well the Scots maybe. His helmet had the scottish flag painted on it, white cross on a blue background. Makes up the background of the Union Jack flag. With a chin like that he was always from Scotland, win or lose.

DQuaN
I'm from England.

Am I English or British?

No mate, your from London. That a whole different kettle of fish!!!!!

I was surprised to find something about it in the first place. They had one snippet on Qualifying on Sunday, and a half-page (most of it a picture) on Monday on the race and championship. Better than usual, I guess, since we mostly get just a 50-word snippet on race and qualifying on Mondays. :indiff:

Local newspaper:

CA20081103.jpg

Hamilton and Massa both showed off their skills on the final few laps...but Lewis deserved it. It was a very exciting finale, one of the most exciting and best I have ever seen. Or maybe it is the best.

And Brundle next year for the BBC...yes please. He's been amazing on ITV. And hopefully next year they'll attach all those chin cameras to all the drivers' helmets, it's brilliant.

For the people in the USA Speed will have Formula 1 debrief tonight on the GP in Brazil.
Yea we'll have to listen to Hobbs be a Hamilton fanboy but it was an exciting race.

For the people in the USA Speed will have Formula 1 debrief tonight on the GP in Brazil.
Yea we'll have to listen to Hobbs be a Hamilton fanboy but it was an exciting race.

You can't be serious. As for th debrief, I'll watch that.

Last edited:
And hopefully next year they'll attach all those chin cameras to all the drivers' helmets, it's brilliant.

It's too low to see anything. I'd rather have that special thing they had on Alonso in 2006, which was higher up - you could see the helmet's point of view, but from a driver's height. I've seen a YouTube of it somewhere.. Probably on YouTube

It's too low to see anything. I'd rather have that special thing they had on Alonso in 2006, which was higher up - you could see the helmet's point of view, but from a driver's height. I've seen a YouTube of it somewhere.. Probably on YouTube

I think u mean this vid

It was Heikki with the R25 at Catalunya.

Alonso didn't have a bad season, considering what he was driving - but he didn't finish any higher than 4th place until the 15th round of the season!

Up until that point his score sheet looked like this:

4th - 8th - 10th - Ret - 6th - 10th - Ret - 8th - 6th - 11th - 4th - Ret - 4th - 4th

Last edited:
Kubica achieved the most with the least.

Hamilton had the highest average finishing position but Kubica had the second highest average ahead of Massa.

That with a Sauber-BMW that was sometimes the second best car but never the best.

Put Kimi in front of Kubica and I'll agree with the top 6.

I actually quite agree with the order.

Alonso made a terrific come-around from having a terrible car. There's something to be said about what he brings to the table in terms of car development.

Kimi was in the best or second-best car all season. He's likely the fastest man on the entire grid in terms of outright speed. Period. When he's on the ball, he's faster than Lewis, twice as fast as Massa and miles ahead of anyone else. That he didn't do any better with his season is reflected in the voting.

I would have put Vettel ahead of Kubica... but well... we'll need to see what next season brings.

Just found this on another site. I want Clive James back commentating. This is beautiful. Esp. with Piquet gets punted off.
It's the best bit of commentary I've ever heard: "We would have to wait another race to see if the Brabhams could go all the way half-full after going half the race half-empty". Brilliant! I just love the way he takes his time relating what's going on and using that very dry humour rather than James Allen's trademark "And it's Hamilton! Lewis Hamilton! Look at him go, he's right out there in front of everyone else! It's Senna-like! No, if Senna were alive today and he did it, he would be described as Hamilton-esque!!!" (at this point, we cue Martin Brundle pointing out that the race haven't actually gone anywhere because the race hasn't started yet).

Last edited:
Back