2008 Brazilian Grand Prix

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 518 comments
That way well be true but the irony of Glock not being able to cope with it on the last lap I cant get away from!... sure it was raining on the last lap but it was also raining for the few laps before that... didnt seem to be struggling then. Its almost unbelievable what I saw on TV and thats why I refuse to believe it was a simple as the water stopped Glock's car.

It rained a lot harder on the last lap than on the preceding couple.

If Glock did it deliberately, aside from him doing the same lap time as his teammate, aside from if he'd pitted for wet tyres he would've been behind Hamilton anyway, then why was he 5.4 seconds slower than Hamilton from Juncao to the finish line? Why didn't he cruise up behind him?

I agree, water or not it does not effect Glocks ability to try and block a driver challenging for the position.

Glock stayed on the racing line. If you want to know how hard it is to keep a car on dry tyres in the wet on track, have another look at the last lap of the Belgian GP, when a) Heidfeld and Alonso drove around the Toro Rossos like they were standing still and b) Massa, on dry tyres in the rain, on the last lap recorded a 2:45.209, whilst Glock, on wet tyres, managed a 1:59.401.

I love the concept that Glock did it on purpose.

He was driving a Toyota - a team who have been allegedly blackmailed by Ferrari since an alleged espionage incident back in 2004, but with no obvious connection to McLaren.

The Toyotas ran near-identical last lap times of 1'44. Trulli wasn't trying to give his place up to anybody and was driving the same car on the same tyres.

Last, but not least, compared to the mostly-dry lap 2 laps previously, Glock was losing 2 seconds in every corner. If anyone thinks he had any degree of control of placement and speed in any given corner - and sufficient to block Vettel and Hamilton - while he was soiling himself trying to keep the damn thing on the circuit, then they're absolutely delusional.

And if you think about it it's better this way. If Massa had won the championship everyone would keep saying FIA is Ferrari something something, and how they stripped Hamilton's point to protect Ferrari, etc. It would not be good for Felipe's image at all.

This way he earned much more respect, even from Lewis' fans.

Anyone heard about Massa's advice already?

He sent his brother to the Toyota garage, advising every single member to take off their Toyota shirts before leaving the circuit. Toyota members were seeing leaving the circuit with Ferrari shirts and Brazilian flags wrapped around them :lol::scared::ouch:

He sent his brother to the Toyota garage, advising every single member to take off their Toyota shirts before leaving the circuit. Toyota members were seeing leaving the circuit with Ferrari shirts and Brazilian flags wrapped around them :lol::scared::ouch:
I hadn't head that. Awful nice of him to tip them off; Sao Paulo does have a bit of a reputation for being a rough city. I think there was an incident a few years ago when some Toyota guys got help up while on their way to the circuit.

And, just for the record, even the Briton's arch-enemy Fernando Alonso returned to the McLaren garage after the race on Sunday to personally congratulate Hamilton.

Gosh, it seems Alonso isn't the devil incarnate overall.:rolleyes:
I think Eddie Jordan summed up my feelings in a BBC TV interview yesterday.

"Hamilton did not deserve the win at Brazil, Massa did. But either would have been worthy champions".

I'm fully bracing myself for yet another wave of Hamilton being force-fed by the mass media. Ho-hum.

Frankly, that really surprised me... Alonso's gracious tip of the hat to Hamilton. But Massa's advice for Glock doesn't surprise me... he's a genuinely nice guy, and he'd probably hate for violence to be done on his behalf.

RE: Conspiracy theory... and to think... Trulli knocking Hamilton down a spot in qualifying... then pretending to almost hit Hamilton leaving his pits... and Glock pretending to push Hamilton for an overtake mid-race... just so people wouldn't catch on that they were secretly helping him. My word... how sneaky. :lol: Next thing you know, the FIA will be admitting that they really didn't mean to give McLaren all those penalties... it was just to spice up the championship is all... and they were planning for Lewis to win all along. :lol:

I read somewhere that they were seen leaving with Brazilian soccer shirts on. I could be wrong. :dopey:

...and they were planning for Lewis to win all along.
While this is obviously humour it gives an interesting side to the conspiracy theories.

It's almost common knowledge nowadays (or at least seems to be) that Ferrari has to win no matter what and FIA does its best to ensure it. The result, Ferrari is the evil and shouldn't be allowed to win. But who remembers the very open statements of Mr. Ecclestone, the man who runs the entire circus, saying that he definitely wants Hamilton to win the championship? Quite a coincidence seeing the huge PR value of a British driver winning in a British car as the youngest World Champion ever, as well as the first non-white champion... and then it miraculously happens while Ferrari screws up in the pits more than in the last ten years combined. Just another theory to throw in the mix.

But who remembers the very open statements of Mr. Ecclestone, the man who runs the entire circus, saying that he definitely wants Hamilton to win the championship? Quite a coincidence seeing the huge PR value of a British driver winning in a British car as the youngest World Champion ever, as well as the first non-white champion...

He was interviewed on the Interlagos grid by British TV and when asked who he wants to see win, he said 'he didn't mind' or words to that effect.

greycap: Ecclestone basically owns *Formula 1*, not the FIA. The two are entirely different, and have what's known as a productive working relationship: each hates the other's guts, but they both know they need each other. :)

:lol: I think we should open a "Conspiracy" thread or, even better, ask Jordan for a "Conspiracy theories" subforum! :dopey:

We could even vote for the best conspiracy theory.

Here's mine: Ecclestone has very compromising tapes of the entire Ferrari crew, provided by Stepney(carefully edited so he doesn't appear in them). Therefore, and because he wanted Hamilton to win, he told them to:
a) get the wet setup of Massa's car totally wrong in Silvertsone;
b) put some "white powder" in Massa's car (Hungary)
b) release him from the pits every time Sutil was passing;
c) Switch to green light when the fuel hose was still attached to the car (Singapore).

:D

That way well be true but the irony of Glock not being able to cope with it on the last lap I cant get away from!... sure it was raining on the last lap but it was also raining for the few laps before that... didnt seem to be struggling then. Its almost unbelievable what I saw on TV and thats why I refuse to believe it was a simple as the water stopped Glock's car.

I agree, water or not it does not effect Glocks ability to try and block a driver challenging for the position. I guess he didnt want to be the guy Hamilton rear ended into and then the whole of the UK would be at his neck. It guess was easier to let him through then potentially cause some accident.

Robin

Along with all the pretty damn obvious evidence that Glock was running on dry tyres, wet track and had run a similar lap time to his teammate Trulli, there is also words from Glock that also help explain his innocence:

Q: Did you realise the significance of Lewis Hamilton fighting with you on the final lap?
TG: To be honest I was racing for Toyota and my place which is the correct thing to do. I didn't even know that Lewis was directly behind me. The team told me that Sebastian Vettel was catching me and they kept me updated on his position but I was concentrating so hard on keeping the car on the track. I didn't even know that Lewis had overtaken me until after the race. I was passed by three or four cars on the final lap and it was not easy to keep track of what was going on.

Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2008/11/8642.html

Can we please stop with the conspiracy theories? It's spoiling a fantastic end to a rather dodgy season (FIA-wise) and its also disrepecting Glock's sportsmanship.

Can we please stop with the conspiracy theories? It's spoiling a fantastic end to a rather dodgy season (FIA-wise) and its also disrepecting Glock's sportsmanship.

Well said 👍 The lad's been easily the best rookie of the year and has shown that he has got potential 👍

While this is obviously humour it gives an interesting side to the conspiracy theories.

It's almost common knowledge nowadays (or at least seems to be) that Ferrari has to win no matter what and FIA does its best to ensure it. The result, Ferrari is the evil and shouldn't be allowed to win. But who remembers the very open statements of Mr. Ecclestone, the man who runs the entire circus, saying that he definitely wants Hamilton to win the championship? Quite a coincidence seeing the huge PR value of a British driver winning in a British car as the youngest World Champion ever, as well as the first non-white champion... and then it miraculously happens while Ferrari screws up in the pits more than in the last ten years combined. Just another theory to throw in the mix.

So what went wrong last year? If they wanted to fix the championship in Lewis's favour why not do it last year? And how do you fix a championship by penalizing your driver with points loss opposed to his main rival who gets bumped up to gain more points not once but several times? How do you arrange that although his rival wins the race he just creeps into the correct position to gain enough points to take the championship, by overtaking that person on the last few corners of the last lap?

For the people in the US, Speed is about to air the race again in five minutes

Also, is David Coulthard Scottish or British? He seems to have a Scottish accent but they always show a British flag next to him.

Last edited:

Also, is David Coulthard Scottish or British? He seems to have a Scottish accent but they always show a British flag next to him.

I'm from England.

Am I English or British?

:rolleyes:

Scottish when he crashes

British when he does well.

I'm from England.

Am I English or British?

:rolleyes:

Haha, oh dear....someone needs to brush up their geography and politics.

He's Scottish, but they show the Union Jack because it represents England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. For some reason they don't all count as separate countries.

To put in it religious terms, Scottish is like a denomination of British!

He's Scottish, but they show the Union Jack because it represents England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. For some reason they don't all count as separate countries.

To put in it religious terms, Scottish is like a denomination of British!

I think its because the UK government rules over all countries in the UK. So the UK is considered as a nation in everything except for certain sports.

When he was doing well, he was British. When he crashes, he was Scottish.

And that was before I read only in F1's post above...

Back