2008 Launch Thread

• Thread starter Lee
  • 458 comments
It was "their feature" ever since the viking horns left. I'm not surprised it's there, either.

I just hope Ferrari gets rid of that Davy Jones front nose.

They probably left it out for the launch because it looks better without it, unfortunately they need it so don't expect to see it going anywhere soon.

After following up on the two launches so far, it has got me wonderin.........

McLaren, like many of the other teams, gets all their drivers and test drivers suited up, invites the press, invites all the important people, rolls their car on stage and puts up a little show for their debut.

On the other hand, Ferrari just snaps a few pics in their garage and calls it a "launch". Why is Ferrari so conservative?

After following up on the two launches so far, it has got me wonderin.........

McLaren, like many of the other teams, gets all their drivers and test drivers suited up, invites the press, invites all the important people, rolls their car on stage and puts up a little show for their debut.

On the other hand, Ferrari just snaps a few pics in their garage and calls it a "launch". Why is Ferrari so conservative?

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/gallery.php?catID=3224&startat=0 They had their drivers n stuff there.

Ferrari just dont feel a need to make a big fuss about it.

The TF108 looks good! 👍

The nose and front wing reminds me of the Mclaren, and the sideview reminds me of the BMW Sauber 👍

Wow. That is looking really smooth. Really small air inlets on the sidepods, really awesome job with the new nose cone, mirrors behind the front wheels. I’m honestly impressed. Personally I’ll be surprised if it’s really slow. It does look the business and should IMO be a big improvement on their 2007 car. 👍

Yeah agreed with Blake and Ash, that car is looking nice. Seems Toyota might have got their game together.

Now they just need to sort out the drivers side of things. :ouch:

Toyota has certainly dipped into the mixed pot of other teams inspiration. Rear reminds me of a BMW, Ferrari-esque aero covers for the rims and what I feel the Williams inspired nosecone and McLaren bridge wing.

If it doesn't bring them anything better next season I truely worry about them staying.

F1Technical has a few interesting pieces on the TF108. It certainly looks like it's up to the job...

Longer wheelbase to aid aerodynamic possibilities, some pretty radical suspension-designs (similar to the F2008's, which in turn were based on the TF107's), and an MP-4/22-styled sidepod exhaust. This Toyota actually looks really slick.

main.php

its nice to see Toyota keep up with their tradition of copying some of the other manufactures ideas lol

Toyota's car looks quite impressive both construction and paintjob wise. 👍

The wheels are for brake cooling and helping divert air to the rear diffuser.

its nice to see Toyota keep up with their tradition of copying some of the other manufactures ideas lol

Take a good look at the F2008's front nose-wing construction. Then look at the TF107's. Who's copying who?

What's with the Bonneville flat-face wheels that are popping up all the sudden?
The wheels are for brake cooling and helping divert air to the rear diffuser.

Actually, a technical article by 'Racecar Engineering' analyzed those disks and found that, together with the special tyre-gas, it forms a cooling system for the tyres as well as heat moves from the tyre to the rim, and is there freed through that disk.

Am I the only one bored by Toyota's livery?

No, but Force India's red/white bores me even more. It just looks like a test-livery, something I'd seen on a preseason car.

Best red/white combos are either the Aguri flames, or the Marlboro McLarens and Alfa Romeos.

Take a good look at the F2008's front nose-wing construction. Then look at the TF107's. Who's copying who?

Of course, since the TF107 was such a good car, SIKE. I hope for your sake you were being sarcastic.

That car looks fantastic. However, to me a lot of it seems to represent a McLaren and a Ferrai. The nose and wing for example. It has the same sort of bridge wing idea as the Ferrari F2007 did at the end of last season. The nose cone is similar to the McLaren as it is lower to the ground than before. And the ir intake above the drivers head seems to be two rolled into one. Still, the fact that they were both championship contenders last year makes copying these concepts not a bad idea at all.

Of course, since the TF107 was such a good car, SIKE. I hope for your sake you were being sarcastic.

The Tyrrell 019 wasn't a very good car. It did, however, revolutionize aerodynamics, and every single Formula 1 car since the mid-'90s is inspired by it.

Toyota brought on a new concept. The rest of the car may have sucked - but for whatever reason, their radical nose was found efficient enough, by Ferrari, to be used on their own single-seater. So no, I'm not sarcastic.

That car looks fantastic. However, to me a lot of it seems to represent a McLaren and a Ferrai. The nose and wing for example. It has the same sort of bridge wing idea as the Ferrari F2007 did at the end of last season. The nose cone is similar to the McLaren as it is lower to the ground than before. And the ir intake above the drivers head seems to be two rolled into one. Still, the fact that they were both championship contenders last year makes copying these concepts not a bad idea at all.

That'll be a McLaren MP-4/22, Redbull RB3, or Williams FW29

Whenever the regulations remain stable for a few years (4 years now, 2005-2008), teams start inventing radical solutions (see Ferrari wheelcovers, McLaren bridgenose, Renault mass-dampers), or the obvious: Copying the fastest teams.

Also, MP-4/23 shakedown at Jerez:

90095.jpg

90088.jpg

90096.jpg

90087.jpg

I predicted all cars would put their mirrors behind the front wheels. Ferrari did it and now Toyota's joined in.

That thing above the chimney on the Mclaren looks rather weird, as if it's a cross used for praying while they're driving...

I predicted all cars would put their mirrors behind the front wheels. Ferrari did it and now Toyota's joined in.

Tells how much teams care about their drivers having it easier.
"Hmm... putting the mirrors behind the front tyres gives great aerodynamical advantages"
"But sir, the driver can't see anything from them if they are to the far sides of them..."
"Silence! We need to go faster! Move the mirrors!"

I really suspect the advantage they get with that mirror setting is that significant it should be done with the sake of the driver's rearview sight. Like someone already said about Lewis' pass on Kimi at Monza. With proper mirrors it might have never happened (on that lap on that turn I mean).

But anyhow, I like the way Toyota executed the idea. The mirror mounts actually look like they have a meaning, they're not just sticks.

Back