2009 Brazilian Grand Prix

Mark Webber said it himself that Button is a worthy champion because....
A)He won the most races
B)He performed more overtaking moves than anyone else had done for the year

For all the couch seating experts in all of us, not a single one of us can contradict what Webber (one of the most respected man in the paddock) mentioned.

My own scorecard says Button's the only person that scored every single race apart from Spa...taken out by Grosjean.

All the complaints against button's 2nd half diminished performance...even if he had won every single freaking race....there will still be claims and bitchings that will sound like the following...

'HE WON BECAUSE HIS CAR WAS THE MOST POWERFUL'. -> a major sore point that's already beaten to death during Button's first 7 races.
Can we please give credit where it is due?

Button's 2nd half diminished performance are a combination of multiple factors, not simply because he was 'weak'. Yet he consistently scored at every single race apart from Spa.

I mean, jesus....after that stellar performance and those impulsive/bold overtakings he did from last night...I'm quite sure it was because he had a faster car, not because he's proven the whole year he's very skilled at over taking, right?

I wonder if anyone else actually did the same amount of overtaking last night, barring using pit strategies aside!

edit : on a sidenote, we need Kobayashi in the group for next year. First debut race, first time at sao paolo and causing massive heart attacks to drivers. Some dangerous driving here n there, esp the block he made on Nakajima but by gods, he can drive. I'm inclinded to say he's shown a better drive than Nakajima has done for the past two seasons!!!!

Last edited:
Awesome race especially Kobayashi and Button, congrats to Jenson for the well deserved title! They should have every F1 race in Brasil from now on! :lol:
A bit more serious: more tracks like this would really be good since modern tracks are kinda "soulless"...

SummAh77 well said. :cheers:

Wonderful result for Button... was gutted when Barrichelo got the puncture after Hamilton nudged past him... but even before that... Jenson had the title in the bag.

He pushed hard, ran a great strategy, and won. Fantastic result.

As for Rubinho... always a bridesmaid... I wonder what next season holds for the man?

On another note... I heartily agree with Trulli's fine for his behavior after the accident... though it was ruled a racing incident... if it was anyone's fault, it was Jarno... and for him to act that way afterwards was uncalled for... Hell... if I were Sutil, I'd have socked Jarno for taking me out...

But such was the nature of the race... so much overtaking... so much pushing... such great jostling up and down the field. I know it was due to the soaked qualifying sessions... but there was no shortage of drama at Brazil... this is always an exciting track to watch. 👍

Is Brazil jinxed? Are we to always watch Brazilian drivers lose the title in Brazil? :lol:

My GF screamed out Hadouken when Heiki set kimi on fire lol.
But as usual, the Iceman remained cool...instead of losing his temper Trulli like.

Trulli himself could have slowed down but went for the move and he spun out himself. In return, Alonso is the big loser. Well done Trulli! You deserve your retirement!

Congratulations to JB for the WDC, and Brawn for constructors. I would have liked to have seen Rubens extend the fight to Abu Dhabi, ultimately winning the WDC, that's just not how the cards fell. I think JB finally put it on the line today, making great passes and gutsy moves, I guess he can put his foot down at crunch time. He has done a good job keeping the wheels on the car all year, finishing well, that's what mattered. I know I said I wanted Rubens to win it in previous weeks, but I know JB really does deserve it. Next year will be telling of if it was the car or the driver, today though it seemed to be the driver.
👍

What race though, the first lap destruction, almost a slap fight, flaming Ferraris, exciting. Also great drive for Kamui Kobayashi, aside from his move on Kaz's Williams, he sure seemed like he was trying hard for a drive in '10 with anyone who was watching. Webber did the same thing to Kimi, just a less graphic outcome. Will there be championship celebrations in Abu Dhabi? I didn't see anything today, just wondering thanks.

Trulli spun and hit Sutil, and Sutil slid on grass to hit Alonso, so why the **** is he cursing anyone? It's his own ******* fault.

Trulli spun and hit Sutil, and Sutil slid on grass to hit Alonso, so why the bananas is he cursing anyone? It's his own banana-ing fault.
Fixed.

And if you'd been listening, Martin Brundle pointed out it was the typical situation where neither driver thinks they're to blame.

I think it's a case of picking the more inexperience driver...kinda like how Sutil took out Heinfield in Singapore and when interviewed what was to be done, Heifield recommended Sutil to 'get a brain'. Sutil has been in one accident too many in recent weeks....from singapore to japan to brazil, yesterday was the 3rd tangle he's been in. 3 outta 3 folks, it's too high a score!

edit : on a sidenote, we need Kobayashi in the group for next year. First debut race, first time at sao paolo and causing massive heart attacks to drivers. Some dangerous driving here n there, esp the block he made on Nakajima but by gods, he can drive. I'm inclinded to say he's shown a better drive than Nakajima has done for the past two seasons!!!!

For once I had mistaken Kobayashi for Sato!!!

By the way, congratulations to Brawn GP and Button!!!

I'm sensing impulse issues.

25% of men have impulse issues.

The rest of us don't think it's an issue.

Edit: Trulli and McLaren fined. Obviously McLaren's fine for "unsafely releasing" Kovalainen is exactly the same as that Ferrari were penalised for exactly the same offence last season.

Last edited:
First off, massive congrats to Button. Really a champions drive to win the title :cheers:

Now to the main point, the crowd. I think the brazilian fans are the worst in the whole calender. If its not one of their drivers winning they couldnt care. They didnt cheer Webber on his race win. They didnt really seem to care about Button winning the title. Then they get into this.

Its all good having passion for your own drivers and wanting them to do well, but having some 🤬 respect for everyone else.

I agree, and as the local commentator said KOB speaks superb English which is rather unusual among Japanese drivers - no offense intended.

Congrats to Button, a deserving Champ!

Last edited:
First off, massive congrats to Button. Really a champions drive to win the title :cheers:

Now to the main point, the crowd. I think the brazilian fans are the worst in the whole calender. If its not one of their drivers winning they couldnt care. They didnt cheer Webber on his race win. They didnt really seem to care about Button winning the title. Then they get into this.

Its all good having passion for your own drivers and wanting them to do well, but having some 🤬 respect for everyone else.
Just wait and see us in the Rio Olympics, it'll be a blast! 👎

For the discussion of whether Button deserved it, the championship can be divided into two parts: the beginning where he had some Schumacher-esque races, and the end where he was an average driver who was beat fair and square by Barrichello and the competition. If it was a car problem, he would still manage to follow Rubens pace, which he didn't. So you do have the feeling that if the championship ran a little longer he would lose his first place. But he still managed to have a great first half of the season, consistency, and winner's luck.

The problem is that Brazilian people can be very passionate. If they like something, they like it a lot, but it can go both ways. You can have something as beautiful as the ending of the 93 race, and you can have a deep hatred like they did with Glock last year. I didn't see the video because I'm in school right now, but I saw it mentioned something about racism. If that's the case then there's no explanation for it.

Edit: I don't think Button was the best driver of the day. It's true he overtook a lot of people, but it happened because he started on 14th. So if he started 13 positions behind his teammate, it's clear a lot of the cars in between were much slower.

Edit 2: Just saw the video and although it's sad that people would throw peanuts at him, it really has nothing to do with racism. And it's unfair to rate all Brazilians fans negatively because of what one person did.

Last edited:

I do have to agree with you but that's not true at all. Trust me on this. We were mad at Barrichelo for not winning but then again, he did an outstanding job this year too bad now he is going to Williams whom might have to use Cosworth engines, crap engines. Anyways, Button really impressed me on his championship win, he drove really aggressive and that's what a champion should do, you should deserve it and he really did. I take back all I said about him, still he should stop being so selfish sometimes, take from Alonso, you need to calm down and let it play, step by step. Until this day, I still don't know a driver like Ayrton Senna, not because he was good but because of his character.

Edit: I don't think Button was the best driver of the day. It's true he overtook a lot of people, but it happened because he started on 14th. So if he started 13 positions behind his teammate, it's clear a lot of the cars in between were much slower.

Latest headlines!!!

Buttons admits he's weak and the reason he won is because his car is fast!
Button admits if it wasn't for his fast car, he wouldn't be able to overtake anyone!

Case closed...let's move on and discuss about the next race! It's really starting to grain heavily for a lack of a better word.

Latest headlines!!!

Button admits if it wasn't for his fast car, he wouldn't be able to overtake anyone!

Case closed...let's move on and discuss about the next race! It's really starting to grain heavily for a lack of a better word.

First, internet forums are a place for people to debate. If you don't wanna debate about that topic there's one option for you: don't bother posting.

Second, it wouldn't make a lot of sense coming to the "Brazilian Grand Prix" thread and posting it's time to talk about the next race. If you wanna talk about the Abu Dabhi race, then wait for the thread.

Third, if you read the last few pages you would see people saying Button was the man of the race. Well, do I not have the right to disagree?

Third, if you read the last few pages you would see people saying Button was the man of the race. Well, do I not have the right to disagree?
tibiquera, I get the impression he disagrees with Button being a "worthy" champion (seriously? Who else was there?), and so has decided to make up some BS about Button acknowledging the car as the source of all his worldly ability to support his opinion, then posting it as fact on an internet forum and then trying to use the "end of discussion" line to have the final say and block people from disagreeing with him.

Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

And of course the very next question would be...

SummAh77... Do you have a source for these two statements? I ask since, if you've made them up and put them forwards as genuine, your GTPlanet experience may get very briefly interesting.

First, internet forums are a place for people to debate. If you don't wanna debate about that topic there's one option for you: don't bother posting.

Second, it wouldn't make a lot of sense coming to the "Brazilian Grand Prix" thread and posting it's time to talk about the next race. If you wanna talk about the Abu Dabhi race, then wait for the thread.

I was going to say something along the same lines :yuck: But didn't bother posting it at the time...

These two statements?
If so I don't think that was meant serious, if you read previous page he said JB deserves the title...
just saying because to me it looks a bit unfair to attack him, but then sarcasm is not for everyone :)

People should learn sarcasm doesn't carry on the internet without excessive use of smilies. In fact, conveying emotions in general is pretty difficult in text form.

Hmmm...I supposed I didn't make it clear enough in my first post then?
I originally had thought in my previous it was obvious I made it ALL UP to spite others that were discrediting Button's drive. I mean, isn't overtaking slow cars part of the race?
(I even included a specific quote)

There's major discussions in the FOTA/FIA on how to assist in overtaking and lo and behold, we have viewers commenting on 'it's only natural to overtake slower cars'. The fact is, it's bloody difficult to overtake a car in a race. Why else would FOTA/FIA keep introducing rules to aerodynamics if overtaking was a piece of cake?

But apparently, by posting a smile, it will help readers to understand 'yes the following you just read is sacarsm'.

I suppose intelligence cannot be depended on days :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I hope I put enough smiles in this post.

Back