2010 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Can we all just shut up about Hockenheim now and enjoy the end of what has been a very good year for F1? With Spygate, Crashgate, Liegate and the double-diff happening over the past few championships, that the biggest scandal of the year was a simple position swap (when those were hardly commented on in the last three seasons) is a God-send. Nothing to see here but racing, folks.

Can we all just shut up about Hockenheim now and enjoy the end of what has been a very good year for F1? With Spygate, Crashgate, Liegate and the double-diff happening over the past few championships, that the biggest scandal of the year was a simple position swap (when those were hardly commented on in the last three seasons) is a God-send. Nothing to see here but racing, folks.

So good I had to quote it twice.

2010 has been a very special season. To quote a GTP member's username, Pure Awesomeness.

Edit: Nevermind. Sond doesn't exist.

I haven't mentioned Vettel's win, so congratulations! :cheers:

Last edited:
What a cracking way to end the season. And I loved that end of season credit reel from the BBC, great stuff.

I believe Alonso's outburst is about the blocking maneuvers Petrov pulled in the last few corners as Alonso was just 0.1 seconds behind him as they started that lap. Petrov pulled out to block him at each corner... but he had a right to do so... I didn't see any double-block moves... just clean driving.

Apparently Alonso doesn't feel the same way... :D
To be fair to Alonso, while he didn't apologise, he had calmed down quite a bit by the time he gave the BBC interview and was quite clear it was just how racing was.

Congrats to Vettel. 👍

It’s a real shame that Webber had a poor race and lost out, but I’m just extremely glad Ferrari didn’t win the title.

Exactly, as a once great commentator once said, it's one thing to catch him, another to pass him and Alonso couldn't catch him and therefore couldn't pass him, end of!

Technically, Alonso often caught Petrov but just couldn't get past the lovely brightly coloured yellow car.

Would that be Murray Walker you are quoting from memory?

Well done to Vettel. It was well deserved. I thought they all raced very good including Alonso, but to have the cheek to complain to the Petrov straight after the race shows a bad loser!

Apparently there was no contact between Rosberg and Schumacher - Schumi spun without any help... Rosberg will probably be quite glad to know that, since it could have been a very nasty accident.

Was an awesome championship and glad i woke up early, yes 8am is early for me, to watch it. Vettle did exactly what he needed to do to win and all the pieces fell into place.

Apparently there was no contact between Rosberg and Schumacher - Schumi spun without any help... Rosberg will probably be quite glad to know that, since it could have been a very nasty accident.

Ya, I was wondering where Brundle thought he saw them collide. The onboard from Rosberg clearly showed several inches of space between them. Schumi just lost the rear end.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was awesome! Can't believe Vettel's finally done it! I LOVE PETROV

Last edited by a moderator:

At the point he was facing the wrong way, Schumacher also managed to drive forward slightly (towards Liuzzi's left). I can't help but feel if he didn't managed to move forward slightly and Liuzzi didn't managed to turn so far right Schumahcer might not have a head just now. The car practically scraped his helment.

To be fair to Alonso, while he didn't apologise, he had calmed down quite a bit by the time he gave the BBC interview and was quite clear it was just how racing was.

I've noticed this in other races... while the blood is pumping, he's very vocal. Minutes after he leaves the car, he's composed and calm.

Oddly... Lewis Hamilton, of all people, praised Alonso for his calmness.

And, of all things... for waxed legs...
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=394239&FS=F1

"He has shown over the years how solid he is mentally. He just doesn't care. You ask him questions about (the team orders in) Germany and he isn't bothered," said Hamilton.

Unfortunately... this year, it seems that Alonso just isn't that solid, mentally, when he's on the track...

2010 postions in 2009 points (pinched from Autosport plus today's results):

Code:
1st	Vettel		104
2nd	Alonso		101
3rd	Hamilton	100	Up 1
4th	Webber		 97	Down 1
5th	Button		 87
6th	Massa		 57
7th	Rosberg		 55
8th	Kubica		 52
9th	Schumacher	 25
10th	Barrichello	 15
11th	Sutil		 15
12th	Petrov		  9	Up 1
13th	Kobayashi	  9	Down 1
14th	Hulkenberg	  6
15th	Liuzzi		  5
16th	de la Rosa	  2
17th	Buemi		  1
18th	Heidfeld	  1
19th	Alguersuari	  0

Code:
1st	Red Bull	201
2nd	McLaren		187
3rd	Ferrari		158
4th	Mercedes	 80
5th	Renault		 61
6th	Williams	 21
7th	Force India	 20
8th	Sauber		 12
9th	Toro Rosso	  1
10th	Lotus	 	  0
11th	HRT	 	  0
12th	Virgin	 	  0

Ya, I was wondering where Brundle thought he saw them collide. The onboard from Rosberg clearly showed several inches of space between them. Schumi just lost the rear end.
Speaking of Schumi's rear end, I wouldn't like to have been anywhere near it after that accident :ill:

@ PeterJB: :lol: Happy much?

[conspiracy theory]Schumacher spun on purpose to help his fellow German and Race Of Champions team-mate Vettel win.[/conspiracy theory]

Was an awesome championship and glad i woke up early, yes 8am is early for me, to watch it. Vettle did exactly what he needed to do to win and all the pieces fell into place.

I had to get up early as well. Yes 12pm is early for me.:lol:

Great season and the right team won in the end. Hope next season can as entertaining 👍

Brilliant tactics from Red Bull there. Pitting Webber and forcing Alonso to go with him and taking him out of the championship therfore giving it to Vettel was a master stroke.

As an Aussie i would have liked to see Webber win but thinking back on the season and all the back luck Vettel has had coupled with his outright speed i believe he deserved the championship more than anyone else. As for Alonso i don't care if it was in the heat of the moment or not, that gesture to Petrov just showed how much of a dickhole he really is. Petrov: "I had a long battle with Fernando, but the car had good top speed today so I was able to control the situation: I just did my job. If he had tried a move, then I didn't want to crash with him, but it didn't come to that. I came here to fight, and race every other driver, and I think I showed today that I can fight.” Could'nt have said it better myself.

Although I was a little upset Webber lost the title, in the end it was his own fault. Had he not cracked under pressure in Korea and had he just jammed on the brake pedal, he may well have scored valuble points there. And then today he wouldn't have had such a mountain to climb. Still, congratulations to Vettel. Petrov did well to hold off Alonso too. Although to be fair, it is a tough circuit to pass on.

Great race - was proper exciting in the middle there when all the permutations (except Webber) could've happened...

Alonso = Cry Baby.
Vettel = Cry Baby (bit in a good way!)

My only confusion though - what happened to Kubica - racing so well - and then pitted onto the SuperSofts - was expecting to see him carve past Rosberg on his old tyres?!

Congrats to McLaren getting 2nd in Constructors with the 3rd fastest car.

And Congrats to Vettel for the win & WDC...

His reaction to winning has made me like him a lot more... now all he needs to do is to stop with that damn finger!!

C.

So So happy Vettel won the title :D, I feel he is such a genuine nice guy who has massive determination and when he missed out last year I had a feeling he would be a force to recon with this year. Maybe this could be the start of multiple titles for him.

Robin.

To alonso and his fans
Haha haha haha haaaaaaa
You sad losers.

And the point of this, was? I do not like him either, and personally I am thrilled that he did not win the title. However, there is no need to insult his fans. Besides, in the end it was the pit stratergy that screwed Alonso today.

Back