2011 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter.
  • 833 comments
I thought the same about the width of the pitlane after watching the race on Sunday. I presume there's a reason why it appears that narrow, it's not as if they couldn't make it any wider - that slightly odd grass section between the pit wall and the pit lane could have easily been utilised to make the lane wider. Maybe the FIA are now wanting the pit lanes narrower to avoid cars running side by side?

From my view at Club and also when looking right on to it from the stands on Friday, it didn't seem excessively narrow to me.
I think the grass and the distance of the team's pit wall makes it seem a lot narrower than it really is, as normally you would have the reference of the team pit wall, whereas here you don't.

I would have thought the FIA would have restrictions on the size of pit lanes so its not something they can easily get wrong?

Its certainly not one of the widest pit lanes ever though, I think Turkey or somewhere has that distinction.

It doesn't seem that bad from this angle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfpiHq4fnMU

The only thing is that cars can't really run side-by-side very well, but this isn't a requirement of a pitlane.

Ouch. 17 Cans? That is going to hurt in the morning.
For which one? :lol:

As it pertains to Webber, I can see where he's coming from. Watching the broadcast, the only time I heard the team on the radio was at the very last corner of the race... as I suppose the majority of us did. Not knowing the previous instructions, I thought it to be asinine to call orders at that point in the race. I think it's ridiculous to use orders like that at all, really. Besides, this was hyped up to be his weekend... not Red Bull's. He was the defending race champ, and he clearly loves the track. Had the team not flustered elsewhere, he probably would have been on Alonso's tail come that last turn. I'm like Mark, I want to see these guys going wheel-to-wheel. If a teammate is the only driver who is going to put pressure on the kid, let him bloody well do it...

Best part of the weekend was by far the GP2 race, more particularly what everyone else is talking about... such prowess...

Yeah, there were very impressive performances from Bianchi and from Grosjean, absolutely bolted it away when he took the lead.

Best part of the weekend was by far the GP2 race, more particularly what everyone else is talking about... such prowess...

See, everyone seems to be praising Bianchi here for this, but I felt when I saw it live and now even more when I can see it again and analyse it, that Vietoris was the more impressive driver here.
Before this, Bianchi had a fairly decent lead ahead and I think he made a mistake or at least lost a fair chunk of time letting Vietoris catch up and that started what you see here.

From there, Vietoris was all over him and Bianchi pretty much just drove the racing line until Vietoris passed him. Bianchi's move into Copse was very good but Vietoris' pass at Stowe was fantastic, he kept his foot in and Bianchi just left him room (and some grass!) to make the pass stick. Then Bianchi effectively lost control having a look on the brakes into the Club chicane and Vietoris luckily saw him coming and let him through.

Bianchi then went on to rebuild his old gap and win the race. Really it wasn't impressive from Bianchi because he put himself in that position and he only got back past through another slight mistake and some luck. Sure, Bianchi is very fast and he deserved the win, he also defended quite well and made a great re-pass at Copse. But Vietoris was the one who didn't put a foot wrong here and was more impressive to me.

Grosjean did as expected in race 2 - made a great start from 5th to 3rd then waited for the drivers in front to wear their tyres out and passed them with relative ease in one lap. He then built a 7 second lead and won the race. This guy really, really, really deserves another F1 chance. Its almost a waste of time having him in GP2 because he has so much more experience and speed than all the rest.
It was pretty much the same story in race 1, he started 10th or something like that and finished 4th. He's just on another level to the rest, its almost unfair to have him in the championship.

Its certainly not one of the widest pit lanes ever though, I think Turkey or somewhere has that distinction.

I presume you mean "...in F1". Some oval circuits have hilariously wide pitlanes. Seem to remember Indy was like that. Rockingham is too, the pitlane is getting on for wider than the circuit itself.

Yes, for F1, its pretty average. There was no need to make it any bigger really, I don't see what all the fuss is about. The only rubbish thing is the whole dipped end making the top teams difficult to see for the spectators, but this was apparently because the FIA decided to change the layout of the garages, the original plan was for the top teams to be the other side which was easier to see.

See, everyone seems to be praising Bianchi here for this, but I felt when I saw it live and now even more when I can see it again and analyse it, that Vietoris was the more impressive driver here.
Before this, Bianchi had a fairly decent lead ahead and I think he made a mistake or at least lost a fair chunk of time letting Vietoris catch up and that started what you see here...
As a spectator, I don't think you could really call one out over the other...

With that said, Vietoris was defiantly the presser, and he does indeed deserve most of the credit. His pass was very well played, and likely should have kept him in the lead afterwards. Actually, had he not kept his boot in it he might of just spun spun himself off. Potentially taking Bianchi with him, who was just as loose and squirmy on his outside.

But with Bianchi storming right back and throwing down the gauntlet, plowing through the wet, nearly out braking himself... I mean, what is there to say? And give him credit, as Vietoris was dancing behind early on, he did some wonderful mirror driving. He gave Vietoris just enough room not to lose a wing, but blocked enough to keep the lead himself.

Though I'm defiantly not taking anything away from Vietoris on this one. Overall, a bang up job from the both of 'em 👍

I also think that Bianchi really should have been leading by some margin and won the race fairly easily, he has clearly more talent and much more potential than Vietoris. Despite winning the race and showing far more speed than Vietoris, its not as impressive because its partly expected and he made more mistakes. Its kind of like Schumacher - he really should be doing better than he is, ok he has done some relatively impressive things on his comeback, but his reputation and the skills and natural talent we know he has make it less impressive when he is struggling to beat less experienced and slower drivers. Plus making mistakes never looks good. Ok, so Bianchi doesn't have that much more experience than Vietoris, but that race was not super impressive really, not for me anyway.

I just feel a little at odds with the Bianchi fanclub, the guy is clearly good but he really needs to sort out the mistakes and the consistencey. His reputation and his fans only work against him currently for me. Gutierrez has come in and has shown much more promise in this series.

The only thing is that cars can't really run side-by-side very well, but this isn't a requirement of a pitlane.

Yeah, but people will always try and take an advantage. And with all the people in the pitlane, it has the potential to be very dangerous. I'm surprised that in this day of safety, there isn't the requirement that the pitlane itself must be two and a half cars wide.

For which one? :lol:

For both of them, but the guy who drank 17 cans worth will be feeling a lot worse.

It was a great battle. I really must watch more GP2.

This guy really, really, really deserves another F1 chance. Its almost a waste of time having him in GP2 because he has so much more experience and speed than all the rest.
It was pretty much the same story in race 1, he started 10th or something like that and finished 4th. He's just on another level to the rest, its almost unfair to have him in the championship.

What are his chances though?

Pretty good, but it partly depends on Kubica's comeback (if it ever happens). Heidfeld isn't really what Renault want forever and is only a race-by-race contract. Senna is still rather unproven, Grosjean already knows the team obviously and knows Boullier well because he races for DAMS and for Gravity.

If Petrov had really sucked this season, Grosjean would be a dead cert for 2012 if Senna had come in and also proven unsatisfactory. But that isn't how its happened, so I guess we shall see where Grosjean goes after this year. Its really hard to see a seat other than Renault being open for him, Williams, Sauber, Force India and Toro Rosso all have their own young drivers to look at. Maybe Lotus or Virgin is a possiblity but again, both have their own young driver programmes and junior category race teams.

If Kubica doesn't come back or isn't the same driver, maybe, just maybe Grosjean will get the call-up. Its hard to see Renault going for that though, surely Sutil, Glock, Webber..etc are better possibities?

How long can Renault really afford to wait before looking on towards 2012? Surely they would have an internal deadline to see Kubica, at the very least, pulling some practice laps. With all this uncertainty, I don't think they can keep sitting on their hands much longer. Would hate to see RB out at LRGP under such circumstances, though. Has there been any updates on his condition? I just recall a small interview a couple months back now.

As for Grosjean, I would put my marks with him for now. Especially if he continues like he has this season. It's very possible he was thrust into the Renault too early and too fast.. some drivers excel at a young age, others take a couple years. I think had they left him in GP2 back in '09, he would've been better off developmental wise, and had that panned out we might not even be talking about this. One things sure, he is certainly making a case for himself again, albeit that much stronger.

I think its simply the Pirelli tyres which have snookered Webber till recently. Now he is consistently closer to Vettel, so it seems he's got a handle on them.
I really doubt the diffusers are the problem for Webber, considering he was closer at Valencia when the only change was a minor one.

By the way, Red Bull I think had off-throttle for the entire year of 2010. It was McLaren and the other teams who introduced it later.

Not really. Red Bull was quite far ahead in introducing their blown diffusers. They brought along their OTEBD at Monaco I believe, and for every race beyond Monaco, Vettel had the edge on speed. McLaren and Ferrari were only just bringing their blown diffusers in by Monaco I believe.

Pretty good, but it partly depends on Kubica's comeback (if it ever happens). Heidfeld isn't really what Renault want forever and is only a race-by-race contract. Senna is still rather unproven, Grosjean already knows the team obviously and knows Boullier well because he races for DAMS and for Gravity.

If Petrov had really sucked this season, Grosjean would be a dead cert for 2012 if Senna had come in and also proven unsatisfactory. But that isn't how its happened, so I guess we shall see where Grosjean goes after this year. Its really hard to see a seat other than Renault being open for him, Williams, Sauber, Force India and Toro Rosso all have their own young drivers to look at. Maybe Lotus or Virgin is a possiblity but again, both have their own young driver programmes and junior category race teams.

If Kubica doesn't come back or isn't the same driver, maybe, just maybe Grosjean will get the call-up. Its hard to see Renault going for that though, surely Sutil, Glock, Webber..etc are better possibities?

We have come to another situation where we have far too many promising people and far too few seats. DiResta has done a great job in qualifying but hasn't really delivered in the races. He's done well a few times but circumstances have got in the way. Sometimes it was his fault, yesterday was the team's fault. He has been pretty impressive and I think he'll stay at Force India. We also have Hulkenberg waiting in the wings. He impressed a lot of people last season and it's pretty much been taken as confirmed that he'll be joining force india in 2012. Williams' lineup looks solid. Barrichello wants to stay and the team want him to. Maldonado has his share of detractors, but Williams seem happy with him. Because of his money obviously. He looks pretty good in qualifying though. Trulli is probably on the way out. After yesterday, Webber may be on his way out of Red Bull, Vettel will remain. Ferrari seem to be fine with their lineup as do Mclaren unless those rumours are to be believed.

I would like to open a thread on the 2012 driver market as there is much to discuss. Too soon?

How long can Renault really afford to wait before looking on towards 2012? Surely they would have an internal deadline to see Kubica, at the very least, pulling some practice laps. With all this uncertainty, I don't think they can keep sitting on their hands much longer. Would hate to see RB out at LRGP under such circumstances, though. Has there been any updates on his condition? I just recall a small interview a couple months back now.

I think he is quietly going about his rehabilitation just now. You can rest assured Bouillier knows more than us.

HippieGiraffe
As for Grosjean, I would put my marks with him for now. Especially if he continues like he has this season. It's very possible he was thrust into the Renault too early and too fast.. some drivers excel at a young age, others take a couple years. I think had they left him in GP2 back in '09, he would've been better off developmental wise, and had that panned out we might not even be talking about this. One things sure, he is certainly making a case for himself again, albeit that much stronger.

The problem is that his performance was poor. Unless he suddenly comes up with megabucks, then has has a barrier to face. Although he was thrown in at the deep end, it can leave nothing but a bad impression with some team principals.

Last edited:

Before this season started, Senna was the number one choice if either driver couldn't make it or something. Now, as Grosjean has proven himself well in GP2, Renault would evaluate both drivers if they ever had to replace a driver. What Bruno Senna should have done this season was find himself a drive in GP2 as well, that way, he'd have a better chance at getting the Renault seat in the future.

I'm still all for Bruno Senna though, he just has never been given the chance to prove himself. Roman had half of 2009, and was underwhelming.

The problem is that he was poor. Unless he suddenly comes up with megabucks, it can leave nothing but a bad impression with some team principals.
He has a job, which he says keeps his head on straight away from the track. Some people fish, some do yoga, he prefers a workplace. Don't see how that makes him poor...

He has a job, which he says keeps his head on straight away from the track. Some people fish, some do yoga, he prefers a workplace. Don't see how that makes him poor...

Lol. I realised how that looked and edited my post like a minute before your post. Talk about bad timing. I didn't mean financially poor. I just meant he performed poorly.

I'm still all for Bruno Senna though, he just has never been given the chance to prove himself. Roman had half of 2009, and was underwhelming.

Well, to be fair, the 2009 Renault was a complete dog. Alonso outperformed that car, no doubt about it.

Well, to be fair, the 2009 Renault was a complete dog. Alonso outperformed that car, no doubt about it.

It was, but it would have been nice if Romain was able to get near the points. In the 7 races Romain entered, Alonso scored 3 good points finishes and with a bit of luck (not had the wheel issue at spa, not been innocently taken out at Interlagos) he could have had more. I didn't expect too much from Romain, but like I said, he wasn't even near the points once.

Lol. I realised how that looked and edited my post like a minute before your post. Talk about bad timing. I didn't mean financially poor. I just meant he performed poorly.
Gotcha :lol:

But quite frankly that is exactly what I was talking about earlier. Had they kept him in GP2 for the rest of the year, he would've came out better. Instead, that dismal ride and his un-experience literally took him two steps back, after a giant step forward in terms of his career. It had to of had an effect on his psyche too. But he's fought his way back to the top of GP2, so I'm defiantly optimistic to see him wheel the bigger car once again. I just hope its a decent enough ride this time around.

Gotcha :lol:

But quite frankly that is exactly what I was talking about earlier. Had they kept him in GP2 for the rest of the year, he would've came out better. Instead, that dismal ride and his un-experience literally took him two steps back, after a giant step forward in terms of his career. It had to of had an effect on his psyche too. But he's fought his way back to the top of GP2, so I'm defiantly optimistic to see him wheel the bigger car once again. I just hope its a decent enough ride this time around.

I can understand where you're coming from. It's a difficult decision? Turn down a mid season drive and hope you'll get one for next season or grab the opportunity? If it was me, I'd be inclined to do the latter. I bet Romain wishes he stayed in gp2. Had he stayed in GP2 in 2009, do you think he would have beaten Hulkenberg? Either way, he impressed in GP2 back in 2009 and could be in the middle of his second full season of F1 just now if he stayed put.

Guys I missed this race and I would LOVE to see it, can PLEASE somebody provide me with a link, download whatever? Thx in adavance...

Hey I totally missed this before. Apparently Alonso's SECOND lap was not in the program but turns out he enjoyed the car so much in "parade" rhythm that he couldn't help himself from doing a second, more LIVELY :sly: lap. Funny Ecclestone's face when he realizes it :lol:

Spanish commentators voices are very annoying, but the second lap and all the oversteering is well worth watching the video 👍

[YOUTUBEHD]W-0XbEqtwEc[/YOUTUBEHD]

^Yeah, Alonso got plenty of cheers after that second lap! Needless to say the crowd at Silverstone appreciated Alonso actually chucking the car about for a change! So many classic cars are just driven around at an ordinary pace but Alonso was really going for it!
It made Alonso's victory later on all the sweeter.

Hey I totally missed this before. Apparently Alonso's SECOND lap was not in the program but turns out he enjoyed the car so much in "parade" rhythm that he couldn't help himself from doing a second, more LIVELY :sly: lap. Funny Ecclestone's face when he realizes it :lol:

Spanish commentators voices are very annoying, but the second lap and all the oversteering is well worth watching the video 👍

He did a proper powerslide right in front of my grandstand! Went down quite well with us!

Looked great 👍

3.00 lap time is pretty meh though. ;)

I like how he is wearing HANS even though Im pretty sure those cars dont even have seat belts, let alone 6 point harnesses like they do today.

Interesting aside about those six point harnesses, according to a mate of mine in F3, you have to position the belts and your testicles in exactly the right place because, as you basically lie down in a formula car, and the braking forces are so great, there is a risk of your testicles going back up inside you. :nervous:

I dont know about you guys but any talk of testicle pain makes my old fella wince in anxiety.

On drivers of the future, I dont see any seats really opening up until at least the end of 2012, I am not sure about the very bottom teams, (HRT etc) but at the midfield and front teams, there arent to many available. That is too say, that Massa doesnt find himself ousted from Ferrari if his season doesnt improve to a level slightly below that of Alonsos and more similar to Buttons. I dont know who would take his seat though. I dont think Webber would go there, in fact I think when Webber leaves Red Bull he will probably leave F1. He also has a GP3 team that he is working on with Christian Horner, although I dont know how good that relationship is at the moment. He has said himself that watching his drivers is more exciting than racing himself.

For all the talk I cant really see Hamilton leaving McLaren, I dont think anyone else will take him, unless he wants to do development for another team, but he wants to win championships and nothing else.

I dont think Vettel will leave Red Bull until Newey leaves. I imagine they will probably go somewhere as a package deal.

Back