2011 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter.
  • 833 comments
As one of lone American-F1-&-moderators here, the battles over the trivial and mundane in this forum is boring. Why is that?

Why are they trivial and mundane? Or are you asking why are they boring?
Well, they are boring because they are trival and mundane, and they are trivial and mundane because some people take things personally and very seriously, usually requiring a full break down of the discussion/argument being had. Almost always its because driver X hasn't been called the greatest driver ever and people choose to take offense at that, subsequently taking the discussion into an argument over who said what.

:D :P

Yes, 80 points away from another RB driver. How about everyone else?

Don't misunderstand me here, I'm all for teamwork but not when it involves being told to back off to save face. A face that at this point doesn't need any saving whatsoever.

Well he's more points ahead of everyone else because Mark Webber is second in the drivers championship.

So do you think Sebastian Vettel will take pole position in Germany?

Slightly unrelated but in terms of sponsor recognition. I had no idea what Pennzoil, Zexel and Locicite were before I played GT3, you can imagine my reaction as a 12 year old upon seeing these brands in the B&Q weeks later. :lol:

because driver X hasn't been called the greatest driver ever
[sarcasm]OMG take that back, what do you know.[/sarcasm]

Good points raised (pun) about the pit lane exit. If a car breaks-down exiting the pits and cant make it up the little hill, its basically going to clog up the works for everyone else in the pitlane. Odd.

Indeed, I also fail to see the reason for it to have to go below the line of the track anyway. If there is enough room for it below the ground, then surely there is enough above it.

If there is enough room for it below the ground, then surely there is enough above it.
I don't think the pit lane is supposed to be a gimmick. The new main straight has a slight slope to it and it seems whoever was in charge of designing the pit facility felt that the end result was best (cheapest?) way to get a level pit lane.

Indeed, I also fail to see the reason for it to have to go below the line of the track anyway. If there is enough room for it below the ground, then surely there is enough above it.

I don't think the pit lane is supposed to be a gimmick. The new main straight has a slight slope to it and it seems whoever was in charge of designing the pit facility felt that the end result was best (cheapest?) way to get a level pit lane.

The straight between Club and Abbey is significantly uphill. Without the subterranean pitlane section you'd have issues with cars rolling away when stopped, which obviously isn't ideal.

What about the pit lane in Interlagos? That has got a huge incline and there are no problems. Cars have brakes and when they dont have wheels attached they arent on the ground. I dont see a problem with having a slight gradient.

Also, I have walked the road beside the main straight, I barely noticed a slope. The whole Silverstone area is relatively flat, considering as it was once an airfield.

Last edited:
Read the last two sentences. It's about you and your unfounded assumptions.

Ok cool. If you want to have a go at me my PM box is always open. Only tried to start a debate and you flew off the handle. I'll be back here to see you ever so insightful views if and when the opposite happens towards the end of the season.

Only_in_F1 out.

What about the pit lane in Interlagos? That has got a huge incline and there are no problems. Cars have brakes and when they dont have wheels attached they arent on the ground. I dont see a problem with having a slight gradient.

I think the pitlane at Interlagos is fairly flat as it's at the crest of the hill, it's steep upto it and steep away from it, but relatively flat in between.

The straight between Club and Abbey begins quite flat but then gets steeper, unless you terrace the whole pit lane and pit buildings, like they do at Donington, you'll have to either raise the height of the entrance or lower the height at the exit. Since there's less gradient at the lower 2/3rds it makes sense to do it the way they have.

Fair call, I had a quick look for pictures or terrain maps of the two venues, but to no avail.

Gradients of the areas aside, I still dont see why it is important for the pit lane to be flat.

Fair call, I had a quick look for pictures or terrain maps of the two venues, but to no avail.

Gradients of the areas aside, I still dont see why it is important for the pit lane to be flat.

F1 aside, any series where you get a driver change is going to be dealing with car's possibly rolling away or at least spare wheels rolling around. Add to that refueling equipment etc and pit personnel, who are probably looking in the other direction and it's a recipe for disaster. A gradient surface just isn't ideal if it can be avoided.

^ Well said, TheCracker...hadn't really thought about why it should be flat, but I'd imagine you would know better than any of us. I think the raised wall between the lane and the boxes are a great idea, but the width of the lane isn't much better than Spa's old one, which was quite narrow.

Silverstone's previously ginormous pit lane and facilities used to be the model for all other permanent circuits to follow, as I recall.

Hollidog
Did anyone watch any of the support races?

Just got around to watching the GP2 race this morning (Mason decided to be hungry, et al upon 4am). Anyhow, Guiterrez put on an awesome show early in, but that battle between Veitoris (sp?) and Bianchi has got to be the talk of the race!

Now that I think about it...we haven't had a dedicated GP2 thread here. Does anyone else watch them?

Last edited:
I watch the GP2 and GP3 races at all of the events where they race. Usually pretty interesting. Bianchi did indeed have a great drive in race 1. How he managed to keep it together into the last sequence of corners Ill never know. Dont remember much of the second GP2 race as I was pretty jaded on account of it being 3am before they decided to air it.

Great drive from Sims in the GP3 race one as well, unlucky for Evans in race 2, got up to fifth from tenth in half a lap only to have an electrical fault. More bad luck in race 1, he went to the grid on wets but found that his rear wheels had no balancing weights on them, so he was having huge vibrations down the straights, unfortunately, the only wets he had left were the ones he used in practice on Friday, so he was the only one on used wets. Still, after taking no points, only three points off Sims for the lead.

Does anyone have information on engine use so far for the top teams? Is it still max 8 engines for the season?

Does anyone have information on engine use so far for the top teams? Is it still max 8 engines for the season?

I've been wondering this myself. The top teams have been very reliable all around, so they should be sitting pretty as far as engine supply goes.

Got back from Silverstone a few hours ago, so I have quite a lot to talk about!

The weather was much worse than I expected. It absolutely poured it down on Friday, and I was in the stands opposing the Paddock, so Kobayashi crashed literally right in front of me in FP1. So he was the first driver I got a proper look at. The rain seemed to time itself very conveniently as it would start raining just before each session, then stop just after!

I was surprised at how different each car sounds. The Williams' and the Renaults made particularly vulgar sounds, the Virgins were much quieter than the others, and noticeably slower exiting the corners, even more so than the HRTs. The strangest ones were the Lotus', they made a particularly deep rumbling sound on downshifts than stood out when all the cars were together and made the grandstands vibrate! They are all also much shinier than they appear on screen.

Saturday was good because the weather had improved a little, but it still rained. The GP2, GP3, and Carrera Cup races all had a fair bit of action in them, so they were nice to see. The GP3 cars all sound like old planes! It was a shame it had to start raining during Q3, that completely took the battle for pole position away, It then stopped about 15 minutes later.

The weather was fine on Sunday, up bright an early at half 6 to get our seats at the Becketts grandstand ('our' refers to me and my 2 best friends). The morning races were all good, I had never noticed how much elevation change there is in the circuit! Looks so much flatter on TV. I could see most of the track from there, except the Start/Finish straight, Copse, Club, Stowe, and Brooklands. It started raining in the middle of the Red Arrows display, which was mostly done behind the grandstand, so I couldn't see it. But it was absolutely soaked at Becketts, so it's no wonder Perez slid into the Pirelli sign on the way to the grid!

The start was amazing, I hadn't actually noticed Vettel take the lead, and the Earplugs mean't that commentary was extremely limited, but the cars are so loud! Buemi stopped in front of us, and I saw Kobayashi retire. People actually started leaving after Button retired and Lewis dropped to fifth not long after. The boos for the mechanic were huge!

It is also interesting to be able to see every car every lap, they were all running in groups, which made it more exciting. Perez pulled off the sole overtake at Becketts, on Schumacher, and in a very impressive fashion too.

The cheers were huge when anybody made a move or defended from one, especially when the McLarens did, it was deafening when Hamilton repassed Massa at the end!

I'm quite pleased with Vettel's performance even though he didn't win, because even if his first pit stop had gone to plan Alonso probably still would have won anyway, and I was furious with Schumacher for sending Kobayashi into a spin!

The drivers were all hysterical at the after party! Certain highlights include: "So, Jenson, bad race today, what happened out there?" "My wheel came off!" and "Kamui, you have always been a very good driver" "Yes." :D

Overall, a fantastic weekend, definitely going again next year!

The weather was fine on Sunday, up bright an early at half 6 to get our seats at the Becketts grandstand ('our' refers to me and my 2 best friends). The morning races were all good, I had never noticed how much elevation change there is in the circuit! Looks so much flatter on TV. I could see most of the track from there, except the Start/Finish straight, Copse, Club, Stowe, and Brooklands. It started raining in the middle of the Red Arrows display, which was mostly done behind the grandstand, so I couldn't see it. But it was absolutely soaked at Becketts, so it's no wonder Perez slid into the Pirelli sign on the way to the grid!

The start was amazing, I hadn't actually noticed Vettel take the lead, and the Earplugs mean't that commentary was extremely limited, but the cars are so loud! Buemi stopped in front of us, and I saw Kobayashi retire. People actually started leaving after Button retired and Lewis dropped to fifth not long after. The boos for the mechanic were huge!

It is also interesting to be able to see every car every lap, they were all running in groups, which made it more exciting. Perez pulled off the sole overtake at Becketts, on Schumacher, and in a very impressive fashion too.

The cheers were huge when anybody made a move or defended from one, especially when the McLarens did, it was deafening when Hamilton repassed Massa at the end!

I've been too lazy to write my whole experience, but I can at least reply to yours. :lol: There is too much to describe!

I was sat at Club, with a great view of the start/finish, all of the final corners all the way back up to Stowe corner. While the new pit buildings obviously obscured what would have been a great view in the past, this was my first time and honestly, the view was great anyway, easily comparable to some of the better places to sit at other race circuits.

I took some £3 ear-defenders rather than wearing ear plugs and these actually made the commentary easier to hear! I couldn't hear the commentary when the cars were passing but I could hear it while wearing the defenders. It helped with a TV screen directly opposite and also being able to see when people pitted.

I'm surprised to read some people left! In my stand and all around that area, it didn't seem like anyone left, though I can't say I was watching the crowd much! I didn't hear any boos for Button's mechanic though there was plenty of disappointed groans when he retired!

I found the crowd to generally be good sports throughout really, I was expecting boos for Vettel or whomever but the crowd cheered and clapped Alonso both when he drove the 375 and also when he won the race. It was amazing to stand up with the whole crowd as we all saw Hamilton fighting Massa on the last lap, last few corners. I won't forget the cheers as he dived Massa into the last corner to finish 4th!

One of my other favourite moments was sitting in the stands as Button was on his lap to try and get into Q3, somehow the whole crowd worked out it was an important lap and there was plenty of shouting and cheering for Jenson to make it, which he did of course! Di Resta also got a fair few cheers for his impressive 6th place.

I got to see all the Red Arrows and all the rest of the displays, I was quite lucky really. Most of the action appeared to be either at the end of the Wellington straight into Brooklands or from Stowe to Club, so I saw most of the action of the weekend with my own eyes.

I can't agree the Porsches were much fun, their practice, qualifying and race were the dullest out of all, with not much happening at all. There was some nice fights in the race but the GP3 and GP2 were far better to watch.

Oh and I also had a pretty perfect view of all the podiums. :D Got myself some Pirelli rubber when they let us onto the track and also waved to Jake and the BBC crew in the pitlane.

I've been wondering this myself. The top teams have been very reliable all around, so they should be sitting pretty as far as engine supply goes.

Yep, the two engines (one Renault and one Ferrari engine, I think) that let go during Silverstone were the first two failures ALL season, I believe.

Webber is saying now that the team orders were "unnecessary". http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93033

Last edited:
Interesting how they all booed the mechanic for having a wheel gun that failed. Man that guy should get the sack.

It wasn't the wheel gun guy's fault, it was the lollipop man who raised the lollipop before the wheel gun guy could use the spare wheel gun. Go back and watch it again and you will see that he is quickly trying to grab the spare one and about to use it as the lollipop goes up - he never raised his hand.

I must say, these blown diffuser rules have seemed to hamper Vettel and help Webber. Let me explain why.

See, back in 2010, before Red Bull introduced the off throttle blown diffuser, Webber was giving Vettel a run for his money. This was because with the normal blown diffuser, it will favour the driver who is more aggressive with throttle use, so Webber got the best out of it. When the off throttle EBD was introduced around mid season, Vettel started to get the better of Webber, as Mark's dirving style's advantage was now negated. You can also factor in Mark's injury that he didn't tell anyone about as well.

Now that off throttle blown diffusers are gone once again, we see Webber now getting the better of his teammate. Took pole fair and square, and would have beaten him in the race. Now, if i'm right, Webber should now be closer to Vettel than he was before and maybe even manage to beat him sometimes.

I've been too lazy to write my whole experience, but I can at least reply to yours. :lol: There is too much to describe!

I was sat at Club, with a great view of the start/finish, all of the final corners all the way back up to Stowe corner. While the new pit buildings obviously obscured what would have been a great view in the past, this was my first time and honestly, the view was great anyway, easily comparable to some of the better places to sit at other race circuits.

I took some £3 ear-defenders rather than wearing ear plugs and these actually made the commentary easier to hear! I couldn't hear the commentary when the cars were passing but I could hear it while wearing the defenders. It helped with a TV screen directly opposite and also being able to see when people pitted.

I'm surprised to read some people left! In my stand and all around that area, it didn't seem like anyone left, though I can't say I was watching the crowd much! I didn't hear any boos for Button's mechanic though there was plenty of disappointed groans when he retired!

I found the crowd to generally be good sports throughout really, I was expecting boos for Vettel or whomever but the crowd cheered and clapped Alonso both when he drove the 375 and also when he won the race. It was amazing to stand up with the whole crowd as we all saw Hamilton fighting Massa on the last lap, last few corners. I won't forget the cheers as he dived Massa into the last corner to finish 4th!

One of my other favourite moments was sitting in the stands as Button was on his lap to try and get into Q3, somehow the whole crowd worked out it was an important lap and there was plenty of shouting and cheering for Jenson to make it, which he did of course! Di Resta also got a fair few cheers for his impressive 6th place.

I got to see all the Red Arrows and all the rest of the displays, I was quite lucky really. Most of the action appeared to be either at the end of the Wellington straight into Brooklands or from Stowe to Club, so I saw most of the action of the weekend with my own eyes.

I can't agree the Porsches were much fun, their practice, qualifying and race were the dullest out of all, with not much happening at all. There was some nice fights in the race but the GP3 and GP2 were far better to watch.

Oh and I also had a pretty perfect view of all the podiums. :D Got myself some Pirelli rubber when they let us onto the track and also waved to Jake and the BBC crew in the pitlane.

I got to basically every grandstand at some point during the weekend, and walked the entire track. I used earplugs, but they didn't stay in very well, and when the cars began to spread out there was a constant ringing sound from the engines. We weren't allowed on the circuit though, went straight to the after party! It stank of cigarette smoke the whole time, and everybody was drunk! There was a guy in front who drank 17 cans of Gaymers Cider, and crushed them on his mates head every time he finished one!

Generally the Porsches were less interesting, didn't help that I didn't know a single driver, but the other races weren't too bad.

I must say, these blown diffuser rules have seemed to hamper Vettel and help Webber. Let me explain why.

See, back in 2010, before Red Bull introduced the off throttle blown diffuser, Webber was giving Vettel a run for his money. This was because with the normal blown diffuser, it will favour the driver who is more aggressive with throttle use, so Webber got the best out of it. When the off throttle EBD was introduced around mid season, Vettel started to get the better of Webber, as Mark's dirving style's advantage was now negated. You can also factor in Mark's injury that he didn't tell anyone about as well.

Now that off throttle blown diffusers are gone once again, we see Webber now getting the better of his teammate. Took pole fair and square, and would have beaten him in the race. Now, if i'm right, Webber should now be closer to Vettel than he was before and maybe even manage to beat him sometimes.

I think its simply the Pirelli tyres which have snookered Webber till recently. Now he is consistently closer to Vettel, so it seems he's got a handle on them.
I really doubt the diffusers are the problem for Webber, considering he was closer at Valencia when the only change was a minor one.

By the way, Red Bull I think had off-throttle for the entire year of 2010. It was McLaren and the other teams who introduced it later.

It wasn't the wheel gun guy's fault, it was the lollipop man who raised the lollipop before the wheel gun guy could use the spare wheel gun. Go back and watch it again and you will see that he is quickly trying to grab the spare one and about to use it as the lollipop goes up - he never raised his hand.

I know. I said in my post they booed him for having a wheel gun that failed. I am well aware it wasn't his fault. Maybe I'll use a smiley next time.

^ Well said, TheCracker...hadn't really thought about why it should be flat, but I'd imagine you would know better than any of us. I think the raised wall between the lane and the boxes are a great idea, but the width of the lane isn't much better than Spa's old one, which was quite narrow.

I thought the same about the width of the pitlane after watching the race on Sunday. I presume there's a reason why it appears that narrow, it's not as if they couldn't make it any wider - that slightly odd grass section between the pit wall and the pit lane could have easily been utilised to make the lane wider. Maybe the FIA are now wanting the pit lanes narrower to avoid cars running side by side?

Which program were you watching? Webber was quoted as saying he had four or five calls to back off and he ignored them. Sounds like disobeying orders to me!

Read the part of my post you quoted again. I said "Webber didn't obey".

Ok cool. If you want to have a go at me my PM box is always open. Only tried to start a debate and you flew off the handle. I'll be back here to see you ever so insightful views if and when the opposite happens towards the end of the season.

Only_in_F1 out.

No, you pretty much launched into attack mode. I said "stop making unfounded assumptions". As it happens, I'm not going to Pm you.

There was a guy in front who drank 17 cans of Gaymers Cider, and crushed them on his mates head every time he finished one!

Ouch. 17 Cans? That is going to hurt in the morning.

Maybe the FIA are now wanting the pit lanes narrower to avoid cars running side by side?

I doubt it. It's probably less dangerous to give more room for things like that.

@ Famine: Warning noted. May I ask you two questions?

1. Why haven't I been given a warning before?
2. Why wasn't it given over PM? That seems to be protocol.

Back