2011 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter.
  • 833 comments
Wait, so Red Bull get their exhaust blown diffuser back?:yuck: And Maclaren and Ferrari won't. Vettel will win my miles!:yuck:

Wait, so Red Bull get their exhaust blown diffuser back?:yuck: And Maclaren and Ferrari won't. Vettel will win my miles!:yuck:

They get to map their blown diffuser to open up to 50% throttle now, whereas McLaren and Ferrari do not. (As I understand the new ruling).

Hence the public debate between Horner and Whitmarsh, with the latter asking how this equates to a level playing field.

It's incredibly complicated, but they have essentially gone back to engine maps they used in 09. So if it happens the Renault system is more suited to the EBD then so be it. Hardly engine equality.

Ferrari have been remarkably quiet in this all. Luca would usually be over this like a rash. I wonder what it means.

Ferrari have been remarkably quiet in this all. Luca would usually be over this like a rash. I wonder what it means.
It means Ferrari already have the V6 turbo engines installed with the boost set to maximum and are not telling anyone.

I'm afraid to say it but this is a joke. What's wrong with having all the teams in the same regulations?👎

The regulations are the same for all teams, they just govern different systems. The unfair bit is the timing of it mid season. Otherwise it would be perfectly fair regulations.

Right, I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

The Toro Rosso looks way better than the RBR.

I know it's trivial, but I'd really rather spend the race watching the STR livery.

I'm kind of agreeing with you on this one. Being an obvious fan, I'd rather watch RBR, but the Toro Rosso's livery is more aesthetically pleasing. Especially since the Gold "Falcon private bank" logos appeared on their sidepods.

The regulations are the same for all teams, they just govern different systems. The unfair bit is the timing of it mid season. Otherwise it would be perfectly fair regulations.

Does anyone have a link to the press conference between Horner and Whitmarsh. Saw a photo and it looked like handbags at dawn.

Off topic, but I got to meet Takuma Sato, Sebastien Bourdais and Helio Castroneves today. The first two names should ring bells with all but the most casual F1 fans. Takuma is very friendly.

Edit: I also got to snub Paul Tracy, which was satisfying. I hate the guy for reasons I'm not going to get into. Although he seemed very nice towards his fans which came as a surprise.

By the way did anyone else notice the Gran Turismo 5 segment during practise 2 on the BBC coverage, they interviewed the academy winner and the commentators discussed it.

Only way they can slow down Vettel is if they put him in a Virgin or HRT car.

Thats a great idea, they should switch Vettel and Riccardo for the race.

Now, on a more serious note, how did Williams and Sauber get the great performances out of their cars today?

oes anyone have a link to the press conference between Horner and Whitmarsh. Saw a photo and it looked like handbags at dawn.
Right here. I find this whole blown diffuser scandal a bit annoying, really. It's a confusing situation which the sport shouldn't even be in in the first place.

And people think Ferrari had the FIA in their back pocket!
Oh, isn't it obvious? Ferrari are clearly behind this one!

Last edited:
Right here. I find this whole blown diffuser scandal a bit annoying, really. It's a confusing situation which the sport shouldn't even be in in the first place.

Oh, isn't it obvious? Ferrari are clearly behind this one!

Thanks. I find it ridiculous even though my favourite team/driver stand to benefit. Having said that, Mercedes benz teams to get to use the engine overrun to help with the crank case pressure.

Thats a great idea, they should switch Vettel and Riccardo for the race.

Now, on a more serious note, how did Williams and Sauber get the great performances out of their cars today?

The commentators said they figured Williams and Sauber hadn't based their cars around the blown diffuser, so the ban wouldn't hurt them as much. I'm personally not so sure, others may have been sandbagging, but we'll see in qualifying. I'm hoping this will move Williams closer to the points and in the top 10 for qualifying. Go Williams!

The commentators said they figured Williams and Sauber hadn't based their cars around the blown diffuser, so the ban wouldn't hurt them as much. I'm personally not so sure, others may have been sandbagging, but we'll see in qualifying. I'm hoping this will move Williams closer to the points and in the top 10 for qualifying. Go Williams!

I'm hoping it will stop Kobayashi getting mugged by people in superior cars ala Montreal.

I'm hoping it will stop Kobayashi getting mugged by people in superior cars ala Montreal.

Yeah, if anyone deserves a faster car, its Kobayashi. He never stops amazing me, fighting with cars that are way out of his league. Awesome driver, not so awesome car. Oh well, 6 hours or so until we find out for good what the new regulations have done.

I just saw this. If true, this should help McLaren stay within 1 second of Red Bull on this track in qualifying trim.
Andrew Benson
A directive is issued on engines and blowing. Think it means Merc get their over-run fuelling but Renault not their 50% blowing. More soon

More tweets, sounds good to me.
A clearly angry Christian Horner is heading to talk to Charlie Whiting after decision not to allow Renault the concession they won on Friday

Horner refuses to comment. "I'm off to see Charlie now. I'm not going to say anything."

Renault's request for 50% exhaust blowing denied. Only allowed 10%. Mercedes allowed pre-agreed hot blowing. Possible Red Bull protest.

Last edited:
I would have thought they would have agreed something in the weeks before the GP. They have the data, they can talk to the engine manufacturers, why keep changing minds between practice sessions. Anyway hope it makes the Red Bull car unstable, which is probably what stable is for other cars. If Charlie does not change his mind again for this GP, it will be interesting to see if any Renault powered cars finish. Not being able to finish a race should stop Vettel :sly:. I'm off to see the practice session which should be interesting.

Murray Walker on BBC. :)
Great to hear Murray back on the commentary team!

I loved this:

Ted Kravitz: "Christian Horner not at his post, Martin Whitmarsh not at his post, Stefano Domenicali not at his post..."
Murray Walker: "Pistols as dawn..."

I'm afraid to say it but this is a joke. What's wrong with having all the teams in the same regulations?👎
It's less of a joke than having Mercedes engined cars with one regulation and the rest with another.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92941
The new limit counters a concession handed to rival Mercedes-Benz ahead of Silverstone - which has been allowed to keep firing half its cylinders as engine over run in a bid to ease crank case pressure.
No doubt Whitmarsh is fuming, his main rivals were going to get handicapped while his own cars weren't.

Looks like another "Red Bull vs. everyone else" situation, Mercedes got the permission for the overrun because their engines might blow up without it. Well, tough luck. Now when Renault got a permission for 50% exhaust flow (to avoid valvetrain damage) it's seen as a farce. How is it any more of a farce than the permission for Mercedes? Probably because it doesn't hurt Red Bull.

And, as it seems, they don't seem to be getting their 50% after all. Now could someone tell why it's important to not have Mercedes engines grenading themselves but Renault engines don't matter? Because it's good for someone's wallet to get a British winner in a British car for the British GP or because it's even better for someone's wallet to see Red Bull losing races? Because one thing is certain, that's not fair game for everyone.

Back