2011 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Akmuq, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

I wouldn't just say him because Di Resta is also doing an absolutely brilliant job. So no doubt Perez is doing very well and still doing well even after the Monaco incident but Di Resta shouldn't be forgotten. So far Maldonado is a little bit of a dissapointment perhaps due to his car not being on par with the others.

EDIT:

Anyway, talking too much of the front runners I'm forgetting the back markers. Team Lotus of Heikki Kovalainen finished around 13 seconds behind one of the Williams. Pretty impressive effort by Team Lotus with them lapping both the Virgins...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. Sach

Sach

No need for what? [​IMG]

He's competitive.

He's playing the Ferrari game at this point. He's a hell of a driver, but he's not in a position to compete for the rest of this season. Harsh reality at the team right now. He will be gone next year.

3. Tom

Tom Premium

Highlights will be posted on the BBC F1 website and also a Race Edit will be posted on formula1.com in about a weeks time if that's any good for you? Also do you not have some interactive red-button service where you are, surely they'd repeat it on that?

4. Cap'n Jack

Cap'n Jack Premium

Australia does not but the race will be replayed on channel 10 at 10:30, GT4me.

Thoroughly enjoyed the race although it seemed way too short after watching the Bathurst 1000! That was a nicely fought race at the front end of the grid. Well done to Button for winning and of course congratulations Vettel for taking out the 2011 world championship!

5. Famine

Famine Administrator

That was a nothing anyway. Button had to complain to make it official, but I don't get why it was even referred to the stewards.

Perez, on Maldonado.

Not to mention Sutil passing Kobayashi through 130R, Hamilton's puncture in Spoon/130R allowing Button past, Hamilton and Massa "colliding" again, Alonso passing Vettel on-track, Vettel not managing to get it back despite quite an effort to, Hamilton passing Massa and Rosberg, Schumacher taking Webber's nose clean off, Buemi's wheel not going on, Rosberg passing Di Resta through Dunlop, a side-by-side drag race in the pitlane (Rosberg and... Kobayashi?) and both Lotuses finishing on the lead lap.

It was a good race for Suzuka.

6. Sohvakettu

Sohvakettu

Vettel got quite emotional when BBC showed him a compilation of other back to back world champions with him being the latest addition to the list :)

7. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

That's impressive.

8. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

Kobayashi did one earlier on a STR, I think Algy, he went in deep then cut back and got the drive out of the turn.

Great drive today from all of the top 3, Webber could've been up on the podium too without Hamilton blocking in qualifying.

9. Anghammarad

Anghammarad Premium

Come on. Im trying to make GT4Me feel better about missing the race.

10. Famine

Famine Administrator

Lightning struck the outside broadcast transmitter and no-one saw the race. They did 33 laps behind the safety car due to a solar eclipse.

11. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Not to mention the lead 3 finished less than 3 seconds apart.

12. Saidur_Ali

Saidur_Ali

I ended up missing most of the race. Thanks for filling in the details :sly:. The broadcasters were trolling Vettel in the end, the technical glitch just happened to have him talking as Fernando or him talking in his crying voice while showing him in the press conference looking like he is talking as normal.

Anyway I woke up in time, then decided to go back to sleep a little bit (As you do). Next thing I know most of the race is finished of the race I was about to start watching. Only watched the last 5 laps, and thinked to myself what happened to Lewis and how Alonso is in 2nd place and closing up on Jenson for victory and also how Vettel lost out to the other two. Will watch the re-run to get a better idea of what happened.

Congratulations to Sebastian and also to Jenson for the victory. :tup: to Sergio for doing a very good job of getting in the points while being ill.

13. Alex.

Alex. Premium

Fernando Alonso to Vettel: "Now we will see who is the youngest three time world champion"

14. daan

daan Moderator

You missed Kobayashi overtaking an STR coming out of the hairpin, and Webber overtaking Sutil also into 130R.

15. Hollidog

Hollidog

I liked the conversation in the watch room between Jenson and Seb. Jenson saying something like "did you not see me on the start?" and Vettel responds with "you were not half way past, I had the line" then I can't remember the rest.

16. Peter.

Peter.

Slower car? You mad? You really think the Red Bull is a slower car? At a track like Suzuka? Absolutely not. This track with all its high speed corners is almost perfect for the RB7.

Lewis drove too slow to the line, yes, a mistake by him, but it doesn't mean he wouldn't nor does it mean he doesn't deserve pole.

17. Prince.M5

Prince.M5

The air between Hamilton and Massa hasn't cleared yet again with Hamilton said "The only thing I have to say is that I can't see anything in my mirrors; they vibrate so much down the straight and I had no idea he was there so maybe that's something we can fix and then I won't have [any] problems with him."

Now Massa is complaining with the FIA but if I remember correctly they did investigate the incident and the outcome was a no action taken during the race.

18. GOTMAXPOWER

GOTMAXPOWER

Clearly not this weekend, McLaren have kept working on this years car and it showed, Button isn't usually a great qualifier and nearly took pole.

Hamilton was nowhere near to Button all weekend so how could he have beaten him and Vettel, as for deserving pole he doesn't since he was only 3rd quickest.

19. Sach

Sach

You deserve poll for the fastest qualifying lap(s), not for any other reason (barring penalties).

20. Brend

Brend Premium

Nicely done Vettel! You are truly one of the greats. :tup:

My boy Di Resta had a great race up until the last 9 laps or so. He done well though and is keeping Sutil in his sights, he WANTS this no.1 drivers role. :D

Alonso was fun to watch, Forza Alonso. Webber? Did he race? :lol: Hamilton is just out of sorts at the moment. He just looks bored. Button was great to watch, fast...very fast.

21. Ardius

Ardius

You should read what happened in the press conference!

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2011/10/12629.html

:lol:

22. Brend

Brend Premium

Handbags at the ready! :lol:

23. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Nice! :lol:

24. PeterJB

PeterJB Premium

This time round I'm not too bothered about him winning it, but I did see it coming a mile off. I think he can continue like for several years until the next major rule change, as the others are at the age where they're unlikely to get any better than they already are.

25. Bigbazz

Bigbazz

Jenson on form again, and congrats to Vettel.

26. hornet_burnout

hornet_burnout

1st congratulations to Vettel and RedBull. Probably the fastest man, on the fastest car, so this is no surprise. Which is why it pained me to see his boyish move on the start.

He should be more confident and mature by now. But he still struggles on 1 to 1 battles and does not hesitate to block or push even when it's against his interest and should to be conservative and just finish the race to be world champion again.

The only thing bigger than his talent to drive a race car, is his ambition. I hope this new world championship helps him get that under control. Otherwise, it won't be long until he finds himself in the same league as M. Schumacher or A. Prost, and feels he has to take out another driver to become Word Champion again. Next year won't be as "easy" as these last two.

And any discussion about who had the line, or position, or whatever to me comes second to putting another driver in danger by pushing him into the grass on a straight as he did, or as Schumacher did in Monza.

As for Hamilton, it's yet another racing incident... I don't think he should get a penalty, not this time, nor most of the last ones. I don't think he's seeking contact, but he should be "advised" to improve his skills of contact avoidance.

Button is however the man of the moment. He is one of the most complete, intelligent, consistent and overall excellent racing drivers ever.

His successes are usually discarded as someone else's merits (Brawn) or mistakes (Vettel, Hamilton, etc). That is very unfair. Speed, consistency and intelligence granted him his Championship, and the good results he has got this year. All generally by fighting fair, without touching or pushing anyone off his path.

He has made the most spectacular overtakes I've ever seen on F1, especially those over the outside proving he has the speed, the skills and the courage to go with his brain.

I expect to see him get some serious performance out of the McLaren still this year, and hope he has the conditions to fight for the title next year.

27. Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

Hi HBurnout, I wouldn't be too critical on Seb over this, truth is that these guys do it almost every race, he learned with the older ones.

About Button I agree entirely he is in his prime, but maybe calling him "... one of the most complete, intelligent, consistent and overall excellent racing drivers ever ... " is a bit too much :)

The fact is, and this relates to what I say in both previous paragraphs ... none of these guys can compare to the older generations when ONE mistake (or ONE mechanical failure, if you drove a Lotus) could be your last. They all do too many mistakes, they all have too many offs, they all have too many contact with other cars.

Granted, I think Button and Alonso can compare to guys like Stewart, Lauda or Prost. Rarely a wheel in the wrong place during entire weekends, almost during a full season. With pace above and beyond what's expected.

But guys like Schumacher, Hamilton and Vettel, 40 years ago, would either be banned from racing or killed in their rookie year.

PS - Of course, 40 years ago, they wouldn't drive like they do now. The question is ... would they be skilled enough to be champions AND survive?

28. Peter.

Peter.

Button does fine in qualifying. Not as good as Lewis is though over 1 lap. Like I said, in qualifying, Lewis is usually somewhere like 1 or 2 tenths faster than Button, give or take a few hundredths, so pole was definitely a good possibility if Lewis got that lap.

And about the speed difference in cars this weekend, Vettel did make a few mistakes on his lap, so he might have been able to get another 2 tenths if he had another go.

29. CarolinaBlue704

CarolinaBlue704

Anyone watch the BBC Forum? I was amazed at the number of fans in the grandstands when Vettel came out to celebrate on track. It looked as though hardly no one had left. This is an hour or so after the podium ceremony. The sun had already set and the fans had no way of knowing if Vettel (or any driver) would come out. Yet the fans stuck around anyway. Those are some dedicated fans in Japan...

It was well worth staying up all night to see the race. Great drives from both Button and Alonso. And Vettel clinched his well deserved title like we all knew he would.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  30. RTSolvalou

RTSolvalou (Banned)

Good race, was very happy to see Petrov beat the Force Indias after FI said they would overhaul Renault this weekend.
    I was disappointed that Webber was told (in code) not to kick Vettel off of the podium though, but hey, F1 politics.