2012 Canadian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Ross
  • 766 comments
Racing is all about skill. If all we want to see is who can lap the fastest, we have qualifying.

The true mark of a good driver is one who can make a car lap consistently quickly in all conditions. Tires, no matter how good, will eventually go off. Having a driver who knows how to go fast while balancing the car on the tires is part of any racing discipline (except perhaps rally-racing).

Nothing artificial about it, despite the way they went about it. If the tires last longer, they'd simply have to make the races longer. I like it this way. Great drivers should learn how to drive around these issues.

It makes for exciting MotoGP racing... why not do the same in F1?

Man... Four am. I'm definitely not making it to the office today. But considering I'm taking a last minute vacation with my gals, that's not a big problem...

Racing is all about skill. If all we want to see is who can lap the fastest, we have qualifying.

The true mark of a good driver is one who can make a car lap consistently quickly in all conditions. Tires, no matter how good, will eventually go off. Having a driver who knows how to go fast while balancing the car on the tires is part of any racing discipline (except perhaps rally-racing).

Nothing artificial about it, despite the way they went about it. If the tires last longer, they'd simply have to make the races longer. I like it this way. Great drivers should learn how to drive around these issues.

The thing is the teams don't know how the tyre will perform from track to track, day to day, hour to hour. If it is cool, it favours some teams, if it is hot other teams have the advantage.

It is great to watch though. I don't expect it to settle down this season either.

True.

And isn't all the american racing all great cause of all the different winners and tight championships and startegies?

This has all, without the life endangering crashes (and yes... pace cars, even for imaginary debries).

Agreed 100%.

People that race with me online will agree that your description fits me pretty well. I hardly ever qualify up front or post fast laps, but some how end up battling for the win when it comes down to it.

Lewis Hamilton

fyeah.jpg

backpain-1292835351.jpg

Well said. I don't know who said it first but "racing is trying to win at the slowest possible speed."

Romain Grosjean absoulute stunner! Snuck up to second place! Fabulous drive from him!

Grosjean is going to win a race this year! He arguably kept his tires better than anyone else!

I can't tell if Raikkonen is trying or not. After Monaco....
Then to fall off the back of Perez...When Grosjean swept passed Perez...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Hamilton no.1 baby!!!

Confirms that he is the best on the grid for me. Bad pit stops, not on pole and still wins.

Actually, checking the results, kudos to Pastor Maldonado for moving from 22nd on the starting grid to a finish at 13th.

It was great seeing Hamilton get the win!! It's really hard being a Lewis Hamilton supporter with the 🤬 up almost every race but for once it all came together. I'll admit my heart sank when the car didn't get away in the pits, twice.

The thing is the teams don't know how the tyre will perform from track to track, day to day, hour to hour. If it is cool, it favours some teams, if it is hot other teams have the advantage.

It is great to watch though. I don't expect it to settle down this season either.

+1

If Ferrari and Alonso knew that the tires would go off so bad they would have pitted. It's almost like the gamble on when the track is dry enough on dry tires.

That said it's probably the reason Alonso has a chance at the championship.

DaxCobra
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Hamilton no.1 baby!!!

Confirms that he is the best on the grid for me. Bad pit stops, not on pole and still wins.

Thanks to terrible strategies by Fernando and Seb...

This race also reminds me of how much I hate DRS at this track. And also brings up the issue of whether DRS is even needed with these fragile tires.

Want to remove all variables from racing? Go watch go-karts.

A racing car must test a driver. They have to work to preserve their tires at all times. F1 has banned everything that ensures a driver will not have to preserve his tires... traction control... ABS... yes... they banned them because they took control away from the driver... but they also protected the tires from damage.

I was extremely unhappy when they said they'd have fragile tires. But now I'm digging it. Look at Perez. 15th to 3rd... while actually pushing it. That's partly car, but that's also a whole lot of skill.

These guys are watching their tires, but they're not babying them. All the winners were pushing hard. You want to baby your tires? You end up like Paul di Resta who dropped out of the points.

So, anyone know what happened to Button? He's a talented driver and won there last year, but finished 16th, after starting 10th.

Well... This is still sinking in, and delayed Pocono 400 starting now. Later guys.

You're awesome company as usual!

@nicky not go-karts... Drag racing. One way, one time... Fastest wins.

Want to remove all variables from racing? Go watch go-karts.

I was just saying my opinion. No need to get aggressive.

Teams build a car to work well on all the tracks. And then the tires throw in a curveball for the result.

I'd like to see DRS after turn 7 instead, no one wants to pass into the hairpin so they can get DRS and they can pass easily into the last chicane without it anyway as we saw with the amazing speed of the lotus.

He was ahead before he took the 2nd pit stop anyway!!

Alonso and Vettel had a chance to undercut. But instead of putting in several very fast laps when Hamilton went in, they chose to gamble on cruising to the finish on the tires they had on. A disastrous mistake.

The guys who were successfully one-stopping were guys who had held back enough during the start and middle of their stints to have enough tire left to finish the stint strong. Vettel, Alonso and Lewis all had to push to keep each other honest. Seeing Vettel's pace in the first stint... how both the McLaren and Ferrari were able to shadow him easily before his stop... you knew he would be undercut. In the second stint, it was Lewis, in the lead, who seemed to be struggling with tire wear at the end of that stint... he had a three second cushion... but only just... Alonso, when he got in clean air, could pull off a lap 5/10ths faster.

What would have been ideal for Alonso is if Lewis had been caught behind Webber... and he almost nearly was. Since he wasn't, Alonso's chance at an undercut went away. Vettel never had a chance unless Lewis had a stuck nut again.

Back