2012 Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix

• Thread starter joetoml1n
  • 933 comments
I thought even Ferrari's original package was good actually, despite being underwhelming, it was consistently underwhelming, and that was more important, and got them the points. (And by Ferrari, I mean Alonso :lol: )

and that was more important, and got them the points.

Getting Alonso the points. Even Ferrari themselves have told Massa that the pressure is on to deliver now. Sure he's only the #2 but so far we have DNF, 15th, 13th, 9th and 15th for a grand total of two points. No Ferrari driver should be scoring that poorly.

I backed him for the win before his practice results lol. Surely this is his last chance, Ferrari don't want to paint higher numbers on their car next year.

I wonder though; if Massa is leading near the end of the race, and Alonso is behind him, the team will of course call him aside, but will he do it? even if he wins/podiums in Monaco, he'll probably be back in the ball crawl next race or may still get dropped soon, so it'd be cool to see him stick it to them by keeping the win.

Personally, I wouldn't move aside this early in the season. I wasn't exactly happy about what happened at Hockenheim. However, Massa will move aside if he is in the same position. As much as I like the guy, I don't see him being in that position soon. Or again for that matter.

Did anyone hear about the bomb scare in the paddock?

The Guardian
Bomb disposal expert called to F1 paddock for Monaco Grand Prix

• Controlled explosion carried out on suspect package
• Police seal off area before package was blown up

A bomb disposal expert was called in on Thursday to undertake a controlled explosion of a suspect package in the paddock for this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix.

A small white plastic box was found discarded outside the entrance to the media centre, the Salle d'Exposition near La Rascasse.

Local police initially closed off the entrance to the media centre at around 9.45pm local time, forcing journalists leaving to exit through a back door.

The area was then sealed off to allow the bomb disposal expert to check the package over before he eventually declared it suspect.

A small crowd that had gathered, including a handful of journalists and photographers, were pushed back to a distance of around 50 yards in between the motorhomes belonging to the Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA.

As the expert prepared to detonate, the group was asked to retreat a further 20 yards near the entrance of the McLaren motorhome.

Finally, after 20 minutes working on the package and wiring it up, it was eventually exploded, creating a considerable noise and leaving shards of white plastic strewn across the floor.

It is the second time in successive years that a bomb disposal unit has been summoned to the paddock ahead of the Monaco race.

Last edited:
I think Massa's the kind of guy who does well when there's a good solid car underneath him, but underperforms when the car isn't where he wants it to be.

Robin.
Did anyone hear about the bomb scare in the paddock?

I didn't until you posted about it.

Freaky stuff, least nobody was hurt.

I backed him for the win before his practice results lol. Surely this is his last chance, Ferrari don't want to paint higher numbers on their car next year.

I wonder though; if Massa is leading near the end of the race, and Alonso is behind him, the team will of course call him aside, but will he do it? even if he wins/podiums in Monaco, he'll probably be back in the ball crawl next race or may still get dropped soon, so it'd be cool to see him stick it to them by keeping the win.

I would love for this to happen. But I do believe that even though it is within the rules, that Massa and Rob Smedley would not take the order kindly, especially after last time and how it's been such a long time since his win. Smedley wouldn't give the order if he was in a race winning position.

On the edge of being binned by Ferrari, I think Massa would either ignore the order completely or wait until the last corner of the last lap, I don't think he wants to submit to Alonso's dominance if Ferrari want him to 'raise his game' as they kind of contradict eachother.

Last edited:
I would lose for this to happen. But I do believe that even though it is within the rules, that Massa and Rob Smedley would not take the order kindly, especially after last time and how it's been such a long time since his win. Smedley wouldn't give the order if he was in a race winning position.

On the edge of being binned by Ferrari, I think Massa would either ignore the order completely or wait until the last corner of the last lap, I don't think he wants to submit to Alonso's dominance if Ferrari want him to 'raise his game' as they kind of contradict eachother.

I think what Ferrari may be wanting him to raise is game so he can actually help Alonso and take points away from others. Or even take a win when Alonso has a bad weekend. At the moment Ferrari might as well be a single car team because Massa isn't really helping.

Since Massa blew any chance at a championship in the first 5 races, they would expect him to move over. And now that team orders are allowed, it's a no-brainer.

Chqr
Perez to Ferrari
Webber to Mercedes
Hamilton to Red Bull
Di Resta to Mclaren

Schumi leaves the sport.

Where does Massa go? Force India?

When did this become the 2013 Driver Transfers thread?

Take this discussion about seat swaps to the designated thread.

Meanwhile, Massa is saying that Sunday's polesitter is very difficult to predict, with Lotus, McLaren, Red Bull, and even Ferrari and Williams looking capable of it.

Peter.
Meanwhile, Massa is saying that Sunday's polesitter is very difficult to predict, with Lotus, McLaren, Red Bull, and even Ferrari and Williams looking capable of it.

Unfortunately I can only be sure of 1 thing, it won't be him.. 👎

Hamilton, Raikkonen and Maldonado. They could be set for pole today. I won't be surprised either if a Red Bull made it to the pole. A Sauber on top is surely going to be awesome!

... This will never end!

Not sure if this is the thread to post it in, but has Hamilton been taking Stress Management lessons or something. Just been reading an interview and this is what he says

Q: Lewis, so far you seem to be finishing either third or eighth, but that cannot really satisfy you. No doubt you want to change that this weekend…

Lewis Hamilton: Of course I want to change that. But I have to confess that it is also great to wake up in your own bed, to only drive down the road and you are at work. I run around the circuit here quite often so I know almost every inch, which makes me hope that it will be a good weekend for me and the team. Sure, finishing eighth is not exactly a dream result, but on the other hand we have finished in the points at every race, so the first step has to be to continue with that. A win would be a bonus.

That's a pretty calm response and the total opposite from what was going on last year.

You think Raikkonen can gets some hints from Trulli about steering systems....This steering issue is just plain sabotage for the Lotus team..They have only have one trouble free weekend.

Im confused. He says that the faster rack didnt work so how does he make it around the hairpin if they have reverted to the original?

It was Kovalainen's. He didn't do the 'fireman' again, did he?

No he didn't, I just couldn't remember which driver it was. Should have known though.

Better question is, is it sad that I expect a Kovalainen blow and burn special each year that he drives one of those pretty green and yellow cars?

Which track surface is the most grippy? A Bone dry or humid? I've always noticed that when it is humid it feels "sticky"...does this actually translate to more track grip?

Back