2012 Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix

• Thread starter joetoml1n
  • 933 comments
daan
Practice is always on a Thursday in Monaco. It's so that they can open up the track tomorrow to let the locals get about, so the place is only shut for 2 days running and not 3.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up đź‘Ť for a moment I thought it was Bernies latest idea :lol:

Lotus and Grosjean were surprisingly quick this early in the weekend which usually isnt the case. They are looking very good...And if Raikkonen can be up there we know he'll be right on Grosjeans pace if not faster.

By the way Kimi Raikkonen is just redefining the definition of Ice Man this season...

Famine
For a quick note, my brother and several other members of the Ariel Atom Owners' Club UK will be driving round the "circuit" on Friday.

My dad was going to go on that trip, but he couldn't get out of work for the time that they were going.. It was really disappointing, 'cause it sounds like a really good trip..

Practice is always on a Thursday in Monaco. It's so that they can open up the track tomorrow to let the locals get about, so the place is only shut for 2 days running and not 3.

Nope that's wrong actually, it was like that because before the Monaco GP was on the Ascension day (a holiday on thursday) like that more people could follow the GP, then the date of the GP change because Bernie wanted it to be in the same day as the Indy 500 race but they kept the system.

Don't GP2 quali on a Friday or something and then race on Saturday? D'Ambrosio was saying something about it earlier.

They open the track up when the sessions are done each day, and yes, there is GP2 and GP3 track activity qualifying tomorrow.

I read on motorsport.com that Lewis Hamilton has been asked to take a 10 million Euro paycut for next year year. Other than knuckling under, what could he do about it? Where could he go?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

I read on motorsport.com that Lewis Hamilton has been asked to take a 10 million Euro paycut for next year year. Other than knuckling under, what could he do about it? Where could he go?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

:crazy: how much does he make now :scared:

Lewis has shown interest in NASCAR after F1. I think it's too soon for that though.

He said that before a couple years back and last year after driving Stewart's car. Just cause he says it doesn't mean he's packing for North Carolina after this year.

Lewis has shown interest in NASCAR after F1. I think it's too soon for that though.

If he is doing a promotional stint with NASCAR, he isn't going to turn round and say they are a load of old crap. Jenson Button, had a spin in a DTM this past weekend, and said he would like to give it a go. Same thing, he wasn't going to say they were a load of old rubbish.

That was last year, and like I said, it's too soon for him to leave F1.

Yes and as dhandes just put it, they may be coached to say such things. Lewis also said he wouldn't mind doing GT racing when he drove the McLaren GT3. Doesn't mean he's heading out the front of the F1 gate anytime soon. Like I said, not sure why you say it's too soon, when no one is even talking about him leaving anytime in the near future. Now if he said he was going to race nascar in 2014 then I could see why you'd say what you said is all.

Also planning for future ventures isn't anything bad. If Lewis were to leave when he is say 35, that would still be his prime as far as a Nascar driver or GT driver goes.

Jenson also said he'd like to give V8 Supercars a try as well.

Edit: I didn't say Lewis was going anytime soon. He's still got nearly a decade left in F1 time if he chooses to do so.

More likely to go LMP or GT racing but who knows really, we're talking 10 or so years in the future here surely? A lot can change in motorsport in that amount of time.
I can see maybe Lewis and his brother Nick teaming up in a GT car or something for an endurance race in the future - assuming Nick keeps his racing career going.

I think the better question is where Lewis goes after McLaren and when he is going to leave? There are surely hardly any F1 drivers who remained at one F1 team for their entire career (other than those with a rather short career obviously). Lewis at Ferrari? Lotus?

More likely to go LMP or GT racing but who knows really, we're talking 10 or so years in the future here surely? A lot can change in motorsport in that amount of time.
I can see maybe Lewis and his brother Nick teaming up in a GT car or something for an endurance race in the future - assuming Nick keeps his racing career going.

I think the better question is where Lewis goes after McLaren and when he is going to leave? There are surely hardly any F1 drivers who remained at one F1 team for their entire career (other than those with a rather short career obviously). Lewis at Ferrari? Lotus?

Unless something big happens, I reckon Lewis will see the end of his career at McLaren. He is adamant about being in a winning car, and McLaren wont be keen to get rid of him while he is still good. Once Hamilton slows down with age, no top team will want him.

:crazy: how much does he make now :scared:

I think he makes about 20 million Euros/yr right now.

He is performing far better than he was last year, and if he keeps it up and McLaren stop fooling around on pitstops, he may well walk away with his second championship. Mercedes will appreciate this, and might consider him as replacement for Schumacher. Force India probably has too far to go to become a team suitable for his talents.

It's all still to play for, and he may hope to stay at McLaren. But he is in his last contract year, and at an impasse with McLaren on a giant 50% haircut. The Pressure is on!

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

I think Ferrari is definitely out of the question with Alonso being there for very likely a long time.

Lotus is an upstart, I dont think he will trust them to provide consistent top cars.

Why was he asked to take the paycut?

For his immediate future staying with McLaren, even through a paycut would be the right move. Taking a bigger payday to join an unproven team can have disastrous consequences, like Villeneuve moving to BAR.

On the subject of the race, the Monaco Grand Prix has been one of my favorite races ever since I can remember. Certainly a top 5 race for me in the motorsports year. Despite being so tight, Monaco is one of the very best street circuits in the world with a great flow to it that most purpose built tracks lack.

Lotus used to be Renault/Benetton. They have nearly always been there or thereabouts. So they are not an upstart - they are no less a promising prospect than McLaren - who have failed to deliver plenty of times already. People always consider McLaren as a top team but they've not really had much championship success lately.
I'd add Red Bull as a possibility but its looking uncertain whether they can find their form again. Newey might have a few duff years ahead like his McLaren days. Not to mention Red Bull clearly are looking at Vergne or Ricciardo at the moment.
I think Ferrari is a genuine possibility. I also think Alonso isn't so against having Lewis there as perhaps he was a few years ago.

Unless something big happens, I reckon Lewis will see the end of his career at McLaren. He is adamant about being in a winning car, and McLaren wont be keen to get rid of him while he is still good. Once Hamilton slows down with age, no top team will want him.

As I said though, very few long-term F1 drivers stay at just 1 team. Somewhere down the line either the team or the driver won't perform to expectations or better offers will be made from elsewhere.

gorsad
If Lewis does move to another team, who'll replace him at Mclaren.

There lies the problem. Turvey? I wouldn't rule it out, remember that McLaren took a rookie on with Lewis.

Is Lewis Hamilton moving confirmed then?

On topic, I was mighty impressed with Kovalainen's engine expiring. It has always fascinated me watching engines explode!

Tom
There lies the problem. Turvey? I wouldn't rule it out, remember that McLaren took a rookie on with Lewis.

I think Turvey is much more likely to be farmed out to a different team first. Fair enough, McLaren took a chance on Hamilton, but he'd stormed through the feeder categories in a way that Turvey hasn't.

Is Lewis Hamilton moving confirmed then?

No. I think may be tempted away with a better offer if one comes up. But he's in one of the best teams. If he does move, I think money will be a deciding factor, along with the promise of a good car.

McLaren have got the best overall package this year. They'd have more than just the one win under their belt if they hadn't have cocked up those pit stops. Hamilton will probably come good second half of the year.

As for Monte Carlo, I'm rating a lights to flag victory for the polesitter, save for the lead changes during pitstops. I don't think DRS is that useful around Monte Carlo; I don't really remember it helping much last year, except when Hamilton and Maldonado came together...

I think it will be won by whichever of the frontrunners has the best tyre strategy whether that is the polesitter or not. I must say that Romain has looked strong so far, and is a sign that Kimi will be strong if they can get the car to his liking. I'm going to predict a McLaren win here. They have the strongest car. They just need to iron out the mistakes. I'd like to see either Romain, Kimi or Vettel win though.

Back