2012 Formula One Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

He then likely would have been taken out by Senna, Perez, Webber, Massa, or maybe even his teammate Grosjean who all drove like a tool today.

I honestly don't recall Massa doing anything in particular. The incident where he spun was not his fault, imo.

Not that interesting, but worth mentioning: Vettel have five fastest laps this season and with two races remaining, no one can equal that, so he have won the DHL Fastest Lap Award... Wohoo...

its all up to Alonso now.

What more can he do, carry the car on his shoulders and run at the speed of sound? What Fernando Alonso needs is help from his design and engineering staff, or else even more help from Lady Luck.

Respectfully,
Steve

So you think Alonso would have done better? :D

Where did I mention Alonso?

Besides everyone knows Seb's agressive...

And lucky not to end his own race. Or two other people's races. And he robbed himself of the win.

No. I don't see the point of this retorical question here...

Denying those things occurred is the only way you can suppose Vettel drove well over the course of the full race.

No but at leat it was intertaining... The rest of the race was dull. It reminded me of the '90 F1 :D

Looks like you missed all the other overtakes and crashes then. Webber had more than a few tangles.

And I like when drivers drive on the limit... But we all you like to be Mr :grumpy: paints "know it all"... So I'll just let you be...

Not sure why either my or your preferences or my character come into it. Vettel made three stupid mistakes in the first half of the race, any one of which could have ruined his race or other people's races and which robbed himself of a podium. They were not characteristics of an "excellent" drive - were they?

No need to be vulgar. By the way that should be censored... Since you guys like censoring and infracting people over stupidities :sly:

No it shouldn't and no we don't. You have very little to gain from going down this road again.

Cut him some slack man, go learn 2 other languages other then the easiest one on the planet and then we will see how you do :)

Aside from the fact English isn't particularly easy due to its irregularity, I wouldn't go picking fights on the internet and throwing insults around based on my knowledge of the three other languages I've already learned.

Now go read my original post and tell me you find anything objectionable in it.

Did anyone watching the BBC coverage notice how at the end Eddie Jordan made some comment about that multi-car incident not being Romain's fault, then Jake Humphrey subtly remarked that it was Perez who was penalised, then later when they had been talking to Christian Horner EJ again said people shouldn't tear into Romain, that he didn't think it was his fault. For the love of...NOBODY SAID IT WAS HIS FAULT!

I generally find EJ good value if a bit daft and I don't bash on him like some people, but he seemed to completely misunderstand that situation.

Curious to know what others think of Pastor's drive. He clearly had the qualifying pace as he put the car into P4, but he seemed to be just about lacking in actual race pace. I guess a lot of that is down to the DRS zones perhaps, but I thought he had a very solid race, and the incident he was involved in was definitely not his fault. Still finished P5 and as if it wasn't clear already, proved he is a huge step up from Senna as the team's #1 driver. Can't see any way Bruno is around next year, although that is for another thread.

Pastor did okay. As you say, he was involved in an incident that wasn't his fault, but survived it. He qualified well and got good points - shucking off the "Only driver to ever win an F1 race and never finish in the top six of any other race" badge in the process.

Senna I thought did really well. He was taken out and facing the wrong way in turn 1 in the Force India incident putting him as last runner - in fact I think he arrived at turn 2 after both Vettel and De La Rosa who started from the pits - and still finished in the points (again).

Curious to know what others think of Pastor's drive. He clearly had the qualifying pace as he put the car into P4, but he seemed to be just about lacking in actual race pace. I guess a lot of that is down to the DRS zones perhaps, but I thought he had a very solid race, and the incident he was involved in was definitely not his fault. Still finished P5 and as if it wasn't clear already, proved he is a huge step up from Senna as the team's #1 driver. Can't see any way Bruno is around next year, although that is for another thread.

Have to agree, he seems like he's matured a lot recently although whether that is maintained we'l have to wait and see. I think the BBC said that Williams set the car up to qualify well at the expense of race pace and go from there. It didn't quite work out as well as hoped but I'm sure they're happy with 5th.

EJ saying he's a future world champion was a bit wild I thought though.

EJ saying he's a future world champion was a bit wild I thought though.

Oh, didn't hear that one.

Yeah, I suppose Bruno drove a fine race as well, but I'll admit he seemed to have dropped off my radar after his incident. I remember him being passed again by Vettel, but I didn't watch him as closely as I should've. Scoring points after all of that is a fine accomplishment.

I honestly don't recall Massa doing anything in particular. The incident where he spun was not his fault, imo.

Well, he drove into Webber as he went in too hot in the first part of the corner. Webber learnt from his earlier mistake I think as he gave Massa more (sufficient) room than he gave Maldonado. I'm sure that must have frustrated Webber even more as he dove back onto the track again, right in front of Massa. Massa seemed to be surprised by that, lifted the throttle as he went over the curb and span. Looked a bit clumsy and totally unnecessary.

Quote from AutoSport:

"I'm disappointed because we missed the podium today," said Maldonado.

"The car was so strong and the pace was as well, but we broke the KERS after the first safety car period and I was so effectively penalised.

"I spent all the race defending, trying not to get passed by all the other drivers.

"It is so difficult when you have a problem with the car, especially at this track."

I was impressed with his qually pace and his race manners, pitty about the KERS failure.

In a perfect world, we'll see Alonso finish 10 points ahead of Vettel in Austin, and they'll fight head to head in Brazil.

Although for the most boring track, it provided probably the best modern F1 race in the last decade.

I'd not go that far, unless you get off solely on people crashing into each other. The last few years have actually had fairly high standards of excitement anyway, and I can certainly think of a few other races which have been more entertaining.

It was a good race though. There was just a bit too much idiotic driving from a handful of people to consider it truly great.

By usual Abu Dhabi standards it wasn't half bad...

Best part of the race was the flashbacks back to 2005. Man do I miss that epic year's action between these two forces that are Kimi and Fernando. I think they're the perfect rivals ala Mika and Michael. Whenever they start really racing eachother (besides Suzuka) you just know it's going to be awesome.

Seems the team really put together an amazing set up to get Vettel up on top since their car's supposedly set up quite differently when he starts on pole (you can read here about how it's quite a risky strategy).

But as others said, he had a really great shot at winning the whole thing, and it would've been historic, but 3rd's more than enough for the job at hand, which is continuing his bid to win his 3rd WDC, and it's still a great feat.

Now that Austin's next, I'm more excited than ever and I can't wait to see if there's any mix ups such as this one again to make things interesting.

Was hilarious on BBC when they ran into Skys team. Brundle totally blanked them and did not look happy.

Not that interesting, but worth mentioning: Vettel have five fastest laps this season and with two races remaining, no one can equal that, so he have won the DHL Fastest Lap Award... Wohoo...

That means nothing to be honest, I bet a Toro Rosso could win it if they put on a set of softs with a few laps to go. :)

Just watched a replay,what a stunning race that was.Kimi was mega fast ,deserved victory,I was surprised That he kept the lead after the Safety Cars (That Ferrari isn't fast isn't it) ,great drive by Alonso 10 points is still a big ask though, How lucky was seb :eek: but kudos to him some great bits of driving and Kimi's interviews and radio talks :lol:

Wow, what a race.

Drive of the day, Vettel Vettel Vettel. A little scrapy and rough round the edges but 24th to 3rd is astonishing under any circumstances. Was it luck? Yes, partly. But he pulled off some fantastic moves and pulled it all together to get a podium.
For all those hating Vettel, imagine the exact same race but swap Vettel and Alonso around. Would you all be saying Alonso lucked into it and that it was bull:censored: and he didn't really deserve to be there? Something tells me you wouldn't.
I do love bias sometimes, it really makes these threads a great place to come to :rolleyes: Why can't people just accept Vettel has driven well? :(

Kimi, well we got to see why he is one of the most liked drivers on the grid. So happy he got a win :D

Alonso, really good race again. His usual sublime race craft and speed, just didn't have enough to get Kimi at the end.

Webber. A joke. The crash that took him out of the race wasn't his fault, it was Perez'. But the rest? I just didn't have a clue what he was doing, I bet Massa screamed a few choice words down the mic afterwards.

Hamilton, desperately unlucky again. A shame to see his last season in a Mclaren going so badly.

Button was a bit meh. Didn't have the pace and didn't do anything camera worthy all race.

Agreed 👍

One small difference of opinion... it's not bull:censored:, it's BULLGRIEF!!! :sly:

Yeah. Typical fanboy fest in here.

I have seen a great race with everything in it. Great overtakes and great racing, silly moves, stupid moves and unlucky ones.

Proper drive by Vettel, could have gone bad, but a man can have a bit of luck.

But the best for today was KIMI! And his awesome responds to his engineer. 👍

Wow, what a race.

Drive of the day, Vettel Vettel Vettel. A little scrapy and rough round the edges but 24th to 3rd is astonishing under any circumstances. Was it luck? Yes, partly. But he pulled off some fantastic moves and pulled it all together to get a podium.
For all those hating Vettel, imagine the exact same race but swap Vettel and Alonso around. Would you all be saying Alonso lucked into it and that it was bull:censored: and he didn't really deserve to be there? Something tells me you wouldn't.
I do love bias sometimes, it really makes these threads a great place to come to :rolleyes: Why can't people just accept Vettel has driven well? :(

Kimi, well we got to see why he is one of the most liked drivers on the grid. So happy he got a win :D

Alonso, really good race again. His usual sublime race craft and speed, just didn't have enough to get Kimi at the end.

Webber. A joke. The crash that took him out of the race wasn't his fault, it was Perez'. But the rest? I just didn't have a clue what he was doing, I bet Massa screamed a few choice words down the mic afterwards.

Hamilton, desperately unlucky again. A shame to see his last season in a Mclaren going so badly.

Button was a bit meh. Didn't have the pace and didn't do anything camera worthy all race.
:tup:but you shouldn't say it here!this is the F.Alonso fans club dude!Go somewhere else:sly:

Vettel starting last, finishes 3rd. People still making "lucking into it" excuses.

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

Vettel starting last, finishes 3rd. People still denying his raw talent with "lucking into it" excuses.

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

Where was this raw talent on display today ? He made one good pass on Button and that was pretty much it. Everyone was tripping themselves up or letting him past. I can't even say he was consistent, he crashed twice!

His car was set up to suit the race, rather than a mixed setup as shown by everyone else. He was in clearly the fastest car today. I honestly can't see what was so spectacular. On paper it sounds fantastic but the actual execution was far from mindblowing.

I'm not an Alonso fan btw, not by a long way.

Where was this raw talent on display today ? He made one good pass on Button and that was pretty much it. Everyone was tripping themselves up or letting him past. I can't even say he was consistent, he crashed twice!

His car was set up to suit the race, rather than a mixed setup as shown by everyone else. He was in clearly the fastest car today. I honestly can't see what was so spectacular. On paper it sounds fantastic but the actual execution was far from mindblowing.

I'm not an Alonso fan btw, not by a long way.

And he passed Button, but it took him 5 laps against the least aggressive front-runner on the worn, harder tire, while Vettel had fresh, new, soft tires.

Back