2012 Formula One Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

I seriously hope FIA will take a good look at the HRT. It's not the first time that car have had a serious failure. Two recent failures that come to mind, apart from the one today, is brake failure in India and Spa. That's very serious.

Narain didn't look too happy about it when he was interviewed.

Where was this raw talent on display today ? He made one good pass on Button and that was pretty much it. Everyone was tripping themselves up or letting him past. I can't even say he was consistent, he crashed twice!

His car was set up to suit the race, rather than a mixed setup as shown by everyone else. He was in clearly the fastest car today. I honestly can't see what was so spectacular. On paper it sounds fantastic but the actual execution was far from mindblowing.

I would have to agree. I thought his performance was a bit of a mixed bag really. No doubt he nevers lacks pace, but he had a lot of rather amateurish mistakes along the way which probably boil down to his relative lack of experience (compared to say Alonso or Button) when having to fight his way through the field at this level. Considering the circumstances, I feel he had the result of the day , but on a day where many were driving quite scruffy and carelessly, I think Kimi & Alonso were probably the class of the field at least when observing the front running teams (and those who finished the race). They were pretty much faultless, while Alonso had his usual electrifying opening laps, dragging his Ferrari past a few cars which were arguably stronger than his.

Regarding Vettel - Tbh, I can't really say I saw even one overtake that I was all that impressed with (lately Alonso has been pulling at least 1 move every race that has shown his experience/expertise), when taking into consideration the car advantage he likely had when making his way through the back half of the field, or the overtake he pulled on Button in the closing laps where he had the massive tire advantage as mentioned (how can anyone really be that impressed with that move when you consider the circumstances? :odd: I was more impressed by the fact that Button was even able to hang on for that long :lol:)

To start from 24th and finish in 3rd is of course an incredibly solid result, but the end result had just as much to do with luck (as many of Alonso results this year!) as it did his and the cars pure pace. I'm sure he was maximizing the cars pace when in free air (as he so often does), but he made far too many errors and quesionable mistakes along the way to be worthy of driver of the day IMO.

Vettel starting last, finishes 3rd. People still making "lucking into it" excuses.

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

I'm pretty sure 2 safety cars at a track like Abu Dhabi is pretty fricking lucky! Without those safety cars (and the incidents/retirements that caused them), I doubt Vettel would have made the podium.

That said, it was a good drive, but not perfect.

Bit of an amateur hour today, typically resulting in the more experienced drivers rising to the top. Definitely exciting to watch but it felt a bit like an Indycar race (for the wrong reasons).

Congrats to Kimi for his inheritance from McLaren.

Ardius
I'm pretty sure 2 safety cars at a track like Abu Dhabi is pretty fricking lucky! Without those safety cars (and the incidents/retirements that caused them), I doubt Vettel would have made the podium.

This. The safety car helped tremendously.

Having rewatched the race, I think Webber was just a complete nutjob today. :lol: It was like he acted insane on purpose to see if he could get away with it.

Someone said in the Indian GP thread that he was so in awe of Vettel's composure recently, and that Alonso being "unsmiling" was showing his mental weakness.

Well, after Vettel's shouting on the radio and raggedy Anne performance, I think that is null and void. It was a great result for him; 2 safety car periods and more GP2-esque incidents saved him losing more points.

Regardless, it is nicely poised now with 2 GP to go. SV has to be the favourite, given the performance advantage RBR have, however as we have seen, there are many unseen wildcards in the form of LH's pace and COTA. Alonso seems to be able to handle pressure more measuredly then SV, and it really is shaping up to be an exciting end to the season.

Correct, but lets play the stupid "if" game. Lets say all the same stupid incidents and collisions happened, but no safety cars, he would've probably ended up 4th.

Before the safety car, Vettel was behind the leader by 25 seconds.
During the safety car, Vettel was behind the leader by 13 seconds.
After he fell asleep and drove in to the DRS sign like a jackass and forced himself in to a pitstop, he was put at the back of the field and was behind the leader by 23 seconds.

So, that safety car did absolutely nothing for him because of him being a jackass.
Before the second safety car, he already had the fourth place. All the second safety car did for him was give him the opportunity to get third place, which he did.

Newey mentioned after the race that they were actually planning to not change his front wing because it wouldn't have been worth the extra 5 - 7 seconds that it cost during a pit stop. Well, until he damaged it further...

Honestly, I think he could've finished even further up if he didn't hit that DRS sign because that forced him in to a two stop race.
Someone said in the Indian GP thread that he was so in awe of Vettel's composure recently, and that Alonso being "unsmiling" was showing his mental weakness.

Well, after Vettel's shouting on the radio and raggedy Anne performance, I think that is null and void. It was a great result for him; 2 safety car periods and more GP2-esque incidents saved him losing more points.

Regardless, it is nicely poised now with 2 GP to go. SV has to be the favourite, given the performance advantage RBR have, however as we have seen, there are many unseen wildcards in the form of LH's pace and COTA. Alonso seems to be able to handle pressure more measuredly then SV, and it really is shaping up to be an exciting end to the season.
Vettel should be able to handle the pressure just fine. He did in 2010.

Interesting tweet by F1 Fanatic: https://twitter.com/f1fanatic_co_uk/status/265161402040332288

I think people are disregarding Webber's incidents as well when considering Vettel's drive today. Twice Webber was involved in an incident and removed from Vettel's path when Seb was approaching. Had Mark been able to keep on the track and continue fighting, Vettel may have lost a bit more time.

Driving standards this race are moronic.

They all should be suspended (except Raikkonen, Button, Alonso) and replaced with GP2 drivers for the next one.
I loled. This race was pretty close to typical GP2 standard of late. No reason to replace these guys with GP2 grads, they can produce GP2-type entertainment on their own.

:tup:but you shouldn't say it here!this is the F.Alonso fans club dude!Go somewhere else:sly:

You're generalizing people who are simply being factual and logical about Vettel's race today for Alonso fans, because they aren't praising Vettel as much as you want him to be.

Vettel's performance today reminded me of Button's last year in Montreal -- which if y'all remember was the very definition of ragged. But epic stuff, in both cases.

Lol with Kimi: "Leave me alone, I know what to do." Yes, he has won a few races before. And clearly hasn't forgotten how.

Another stalwart drive from Alonso. When he says 2nd was the best result available, you believe him. From other drivers it might be an excuse; from him, it's just the plain truth.

Webber's drive was worse than anything Maldonado or Grosjean have turned in this year -- and that was before he got collected in the Perez smash-up. Surprising stuff from a guy whose driving standards are usually class-defining.

Speaking of Perez, re-entering the track and diving for the apex was truly a brainless move.

I wonder if Webber is closer friends with Alonso or Vettel. It didn't seem like he was willing to Toro Rosso* out of the way.

*(2010)

Vettel should be able to handle the pressure just fine. He did in 2010.

Short memoryatism.

Webber and Alonso were the favourites for champions in 2010. RBR managed to pit Webber out of contention and Ferrari blundered into doing the same, allowing SV to ghost into the win at the Marina that year. He wasn't under pressure as he wasn't the favourite.

Mike Rotch
Short memoryatism.

Webber and Alonso were the favourites for champions in 2010. RBR managed to pit Webber out of contention and Ferrari blundered into doing the same, allowing SV to ghost into the win at the Marina that year. He wasn't under pressure as he wasn't the favourite.

And he had no idea he was champion until he crossed the line, if I remember correctly.

Centura
I seriously hope FIA will take a good look at the HRT. It's not the first time that car have had a serious failure. Two recent failures that come to mind, apart from the one today, is brake failure in India and Spa. That's very serious.

Narain didn't look too happy about it when he was interviewed.
Well, they do have a budget of about £3.50. They have improved this year, but I was expecting them, and Caterham and Marussia, to be much closer to the midfield by now. This is their 3rd year.

TyrrellRacing
Where was this raw talent on display today ? He made one good pass on Button and that was pretty much it. Everyone was tripping themselves up or letting him past. I can't even say he was consistent, he crashed twice!

His car was set up to suit the race, rather than a mixed setup as shown by everyone else. He was in clearly the fastest car today. I honestly can't see what was so spectacular. On paper it sounds fantastic but the actual execution was far from mindblowing.

I'm not an Alonso fan btw, not by a long way.

Someone talking sense!

I fail to see what was so special about Seb's drive today. Who did he actually overtake by racing? The usual 6 at the back plus??

Hulkenburg/Rosberg would have made life

Yes, 23rd to 3rd looks great but it was no where near the great drive some are making out to be. Was it anywhere near JB's drive from Canada 2011? No, Schumi from Brazil 2006? No.

Look at it this way. However unlikely, imagine if nobody had crashed, no safety cars, where would today's drive by Vettel had gotten him? 9th? 8th? 7th at a push?

If Bruno Senna could finish in 8th after facing the wrong way at turn 1 then it should be expected for Vettel to finish higher than that. If Grosjean wasn't holding up a long train of cars, he would've had to overtake maybe 5 other people.

Back