2012 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 624 comments
I think the Mclaren will be dominant, it was at Singapore without being given a chance to show what it can do in a straight line. With Button's misfortune, If everything goes right this is surely Hamilton's race. Let's not forget in the last race Lewis actually went longer than Seb in the first stint.

Singapore and Suzuka are completely different circuits.

Isn't Suzuka like Singapore but mechanical grip is less of a priority? (which seems to be one of the Mclaren's weak points this year judging by Valencia and Monaco) and the Mclaren isn't lacking in terms of downforce.

I hope for Mclaren dominance, and it might happen considering how strong they've been in the past few races. And they're really due for a 1-2 one of these days, but then again they're also pretty amazing at messing up their own races.

Yes, but if anything, Suzuka should be even better for McLaren than Singapore. McLaren have generally been weak at circuits like Singapore where Red Bull have been fastest all year. McLaren's strength is high-speed aero performance, while Red Bull is best in traction and low-speed corners.

I'm guessing this weekend will look something like this when it comes to car performance: McLaren > Lotus (if hot) > Red Bull/Ferrari > Lotus (if cold)

Dark horse(s): Sauber and Williams.

Isn't Suzuka like Singapore but mechanical grip is less of a priority? (which seems to be one of the Mclaren's weak points this year judging by Valencia and Monaco) and the Mclaren isn't lacking in terms of downforce.

The only thing Suzuka and Singapore have in common is high downforce.

Singapore requires as much downforce as you can bolt on, good braking stability and traction. All corners are 90-degree corners, except for the last corner which is sweeping.

Suzuka requires high downforce, but still good aero efficiency for the straights. All corners are sweeping and high speed, so you need good aero performance. Only two corners require low-speed traction and only two corners require a lot of braking. Hungary is quite close to these characteristics, except that Suzuka is high-speed corners instead of mid-speed corners.

Ferrari are quite weak when you have to bolt on as much downforce as you can, but they have good aero efficiency. Same with Sauber. Red Bull is opposite to this, but they will still be quick.

And Red Bull must've something up their sleeve for this race on the updates side. They haven't brought many updates since Valencia.

Last edited:
Yes, but if anything, Suzuka should be even better for McLaren than Singapore. McLaren have generally been weak at circuits like Singapore where Red Bull have been fastest all year. McLaren's strength is high-speed aero performance, while Red Bull is best in traction and low-speed corners.

I'm guessing this weekend will look something like this when it comes to car performance: McLaren > Lotus (if hot) > Red Bull/Ferrari > Lotus (if cold)

Dark horse(s): Sauber and Williams.

Sauber are always a dark horse, Perez might be in a good mood after signing for Mclaren.

Well this is it, Suzuka! Nothing can top this circuit not even Spa. I know every inch of this track from GT and won two official Euro GT500 (series I race in) races here. Anyway I'm in love with this track!

I do have a slight problem, I'm celebrating my 30th birthday on Friday and I suppose I'll be partying hard up untill the start of Quali at 7 am. Which means I'll have to watch Q quite drunk! :D

Also...Ferrari complaining about Mclarens Wing!

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/284915/ferrari-complains-to-fia-about-mclaren-wing/

Last edited:
Both Saubers on the podium this weekend, mark my words.

Remember Kobayashi setting the pace in qualifying last year? I predict a Spa-like qualifying with pacesetting performance to follow. I know it happens a lot this year, but last year the Red Bull and Mclaren were always on top in Q1, even on the harder tyres. This year's Sauber is a lot stronger relative to the rest of the field, so they should do well.

In 2010 I remember watching the Red Bull flexi wing; that thing began to flex at an exponential rate as the speed increase, it was touching the ground in some high speed corners (Normally they only hit the ground if they've just landed after jumping a kerb). I'm curious if there are any videos around that show it.

Last edited:

Remember Kobayashi setting the pace in qualifying last year? I predict a Spa-like qualifying with pacesetting performance to follow. I know it happens a lot this year, but last year the Red Bull and Mclaren were always on top in Q1, even on the harder tyres. This year's Sauber is a lot stronger relative to the rest of the field, so they should do well.

Kamui on the podium, I don't know even with it being a home GP. His best finish this year was 4th and that was thanks to a Vettel penalty and a Hamilton puncture at the start.

Not favorite, but capable of upsetting the favorites under the "right" circumstances. Might even win if all the stars align.

EDIT - It's a tradition, Hyper is faster than me ;)

Kobayashi on the podium would make my week. He badly needs it as well because his seat is under threat.
Just a repeat of 2010 with the result a podium would put me over the moon.

Sadly I dont think Koba gonna get a podium, the biggest problem of Sauber is the lack of downforce and you still need some in Suzuka.

I do think he's gonna get a new contract with sauber tho.

While we're on the topic of Kamui, anyone read his interview on F1.com?

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2012/10/13857.html

F1.com
Q: What’s the first thing you do when you get home after a race?
KK: I wash my clothes. I don’t have a huge selection of clothes so whenever I get home I immediately wash my clothes. Sometimes I then have nothing for the day after.

Q: What’s your favourite smell?
KK: The smell of women

:D

It would be great to see but I can't say I don't have doubts. Sergio might snatch another podium but I'm not so certain Kamui could pull off a top-three finish. It pains me to say it as I very much like Kamui, but to me he seems to have lost much of what made him such a sensation during his first season with Sauber. He just doesn't put in those kind of performances now, at least not often. Perhaps it's just me but I no longer see him as a driver capable of making the most of the opportunities presented to him.

It would be great to see but I can't say I don't have doubts. Sergio might snatch another podium but I'm not so certain Kamui could pull off a top-three finish. It pains me to say it as I very much like Kamui, but to me he seems to have lost much of what made him such a sensation during his first season with Sauber. He just doesn't put in those kind of performances now, at least not often. Perhaps it's just me but I no longer see him as a driver capable of making the most of the opportunities presented to him.

People need to keep track of more than just the results - Sauber nearly always split their strategies with one driver starting on hard tyres and one on softer tyres.
Last season especially they tried to complete every race with one or two-stop strategies..presumably trying to luck into a good result.

Hence its not all down to Kobayashi's ability why he hasn't shone the same as Perez.
In all 3 races that Perez has reached the podium, Kobayashi was on the opposite strategy.

KK has had some good races this year, for example Barcelona. But he has been a victim of not only the car's inconsistent form but also Sauber's constant reliance on split strategies. He generally tends to get the short straw because he qualifies better than Perez - usually getting into the top 10 where he has to start on the softs he qualified on.

Its certainly not as one-sided as the WDC standings make it look.

People need to keep track of more than just the results - Sauber nearly always split their strategies with one driver starting on hard tyres and one on softer tyres.
Last season especially they tried to complete every race with one or two-stop strategies..presumably trying to luck into a good result.

Hence its not all down to Kobayashi's ability why he hasn't shone the same as Perez.
In all 3 races that Perez has reached the podium, Kobayashi was on the opposite strategy.

KK has had some good races this year, for example Barcelona. But he has been a victim of not only the car's inconsistent form but also Sauber's constant reliance on split strategies. He generally tends to get the short straw because he qualifies better than Perez - usually getting into the top 10 where he has to start on the softs he qualified on.

Its certainly not as one-sided as the WDC standings make it look.
I stand corrected! :) Also I said what I said completely forgetting the fact that Kamui is naturally harder on his tyres anyhow, so starting on worn softs is an even larger handicap for him.

I'm not sure I buy this theory that he's harder on the tyres than Perez. I seem to remember KK being right with him at Australia 2011 and one race that has always stuck in my mind was the 2010 European GP at Valencia - where KK managed his tyres well into the race and actually matched the race leaders pace and kept Button at bay with tyres that he had driven most of the race on! Then he went and put the soft tyres on at the end of the race and stormed past Buemi and Alonso on the last lap.

In fact, the video above from the 2010 Japanese GP was also a race where he had a longer stint than everyone else and put the soft tyres on at the end and stormed past everyone.
Funny that Perez' races at Canada and Monza were also races where he ran a longer first stint on hard tyres and then stormed the field on softs at the end.

One would have thought that Sauber might have employed this strategy more often rather than always splitting and attempting to stop less than everyone.

To me, both Perez and KK are pretty equal. Both have shown the same abilities in all areas with perhaps KK having the edge on overtaking prowess and qualifying speed. I think both are pretty equal in races and both can be consistent through a season when and where Sauber actually allow them to be consistent.

Both have earnt a chance at a top seat, its just unfortunate for KK that he has not been as lucky as Perez to score the podiums that catch the top teams' eye. Sadly it seems a lot of people seem to overlook him for this, but its not a unique story to Kobayashi as its a pretty common motorsports tale for so many drivers.

I'm not sure I buy this theory that he's harder on the tyres than Perez. I seem to remember KK being right with him at Australia 2011 and one race that has always stuck in my mind was the 2010 European GP at Valencia - where KK managed his tyres well into the race and actually matched the race leaders pace and kept Button at bay with tyres that he had driven most of the race on! Then he went and put the soft tyres on at the end of the race and stormed past Buemi and Alonso on the last lap.

In fact, the video above from the 2010 Japanese GP was also a race where he had a longer stint than everyone else and put the soft tyres on at the end and stormed past everyone.
Funny that Perez' races at Canada and Monza were also races where he ran a longer first stint on hard tyres and then stormed the field on softs at the end.

One would have thought that Sauber might have employed this strategy more often rather than always splitting and attempting to stop less than everyone.

To me, both Perez and KK are pretty equal. Both have shown the same abilities in all areas with perhaps KK having the edge on overtaking prowess and qualifying speed. I think both are pretty equal in races and both can be consistent through a season when and where Sauber actually allow them to be consistent.

Both have earnt a chance at a top seat, its just unfortunate for KK that he has not been as lucky as Perez to score the podiums that catch the top teams' eye. Sadly it seems a lot of people seem to overlook him for this, but its not a unique story to Kobayashi as its a pretty common motorsports tale for so many drivers.
I could be wrong. Perhaps it's his comparatively aggressive driving style that causes him to seem tyre-heavy to me. For once it would be great to see Sauber put both drivers on the same strategy so we could see who's best at getting the most out of their rubber.

It is indeed unfortunate and what's even more unfortunate is that the same thing can be said for a number of drivers, who clearly deserve better. But it seems to be the way in the sport now that if you don't reach a top team within two-three years, you're chances of ever getting a race seat at a front running team dramatically decrease.

Ok, I'm sorry but you cannot say that Kamui Kobayashi is as good of a driver as Perez. He just isn't. He can't have "bad luck" every single season he has been in F1. That's not bad luck anymore. Sergio Perez has more points right now than Kobayashi had in the 2010 and 2011 seasons combined. That's not really luck.

And in regard to whose better and managing tires, one instance two years ago doesn't show squat. Sergio pretty much dominates the field every single race when it comes to tire wear, and while that doesn't make KK bad, it doesn't make him just as good either.

I'm not a Kobash hater, I like him very much, but just because his die hard fans can make abstract arguments as to why he is great, we have to look at the facts, and the facts show Sergio being better in pretty much every way, with less experience to boot.

Ok, I'm sorry but you cannot say that Kamui Kobayashi is as good of a driver as Perez. He just isn't. He can't have "bad luck" every single season he has been in F1. That's not bad luck anymore. Sergio Perez has more points right now than Kobayashi had in the 2010 and 2011 seasons combined. That's not really luck.

And in regard to whose better and managing tires, one instance two years ago doesn't show squat. Sergio pretty much dominates the field every single race when it comes to tire wear, and while that doesn't make KK bad, it doesn't make him just as good either.

I'm not a Kobash hater, I like him very much, but just because his die hard fans can make abstract arguments as to why he is great, we have to look at the facts, and the facts show Sergio being better in pretty much every way, with less experience to boot.

Well, this season for Kob has been alot better than last season, although admittedly not consistent. As you say he isn't as good as Perez and hasn't really showed alot of eye opening stuff this season. Or, certainly not enough for any notable team to see.

Kob deserves to be in a faster car. Atm he is the Button to the Lewis. Only ever shines every now and then. (ok if Lewis ever finishes :dunce:). I feel his head isn't where it needs to be at the moment simply because of the performance and the attention situated around Perez. I believe once Perez has moved and everything has settled down again, Kob will be back in the picture.

And, if he had finished well or even had a podium in Spa, who knows how things would be now. His confidence would be an all time high. But what happened certainly seemed to do the opposite :nervous:

Kobayashi on the podium would make my week. He badly needs it as well because his seat is under threat.
Just a repeat of 2010 with the result a podium would put me over the moon.

[youtube vid

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Expect more of this next season.

It is possible to have bad luck every season - it's not impossible. Not saying that it is in KK's case though. You can't really compare year-to-year results, especially 2011 to 2012 because the cars and their relative competitiveness has changed a great deal due to mega aero work by the Sauber guys considering their relative budget. They saw a sneaky solution with the exhaust set-up that other teams promptly copied. KK easily outscored Perez in 2011, but points are neither the whole story, and it was Perez' first season so it's not really worth putting too much emphasis on.

What Arduis said was that they mostly run counter strategies with the Sauber. Which can have vastly different results. Sometimes Perez's poor qualifying actually seems to help in that regard.

And as just mentioned, KK managed a 2nd place Quali run at Spa and never got the opportunity to do anything with it thanks to a certain flying Frenchman. He's managed respectable finishes of 4th, 5th, but they're not as noticed as podiums of course. I personally think due to the tires and the way they wear, that KK's better qualifying occasionally is a hindrance. Perez is able to choose his tires (fresh ones) and run a counter strategy in some situations - and it seems to work. Kimi had a similar race in Bahrain - Qualified 11th, and thanks to a tire advantage being a benefit that race - finished 2nd.

I don't dislike Perez, obviously. I think he's quite the driver, but I simply rate KK similarly as well. He certainly deserves a drive in a better car for sure. Ferrari for a 1 year deal would be interesting. In any case, I'd look forward to watching Suzuka. A fantastic, technical track. Good memories racing it virtually as well!

I feel pretty much the same way. Kobayashi and Perez are two of my favourite drivers. I liked Kobayashi immediately and have followed him since his debut. But since the start of 2011, he's been in the shadow of Perez. As Ardius pointed out, there are underlying reasons. Given the circumstances though, Kobayashi was never going to get picked over Perez. Kobayashi is still an excellent driver, but in my opinion Perez is in another class. He's as good as Alonso.

Last edited:
I feel pretty much the same way. Kobayashi and Perez are two of my favourite drivers. I liked Kobayashi immediately and have followed him since his debut. But since the start of 2011, he's been in the shadow of Perez. As Ardius pointed out, there are underlying reasons. Given the circumstances though, Kobayashi was never going to get picked over Perez. Kobayashi is still an excellent driver, but in my opinion Perez is in another class. He's as good as Alonso.

We'll see next year but I dont believe Perez is as good as Alonso. What Fernando is achieving this year is truly amazing. I'm not a fan of him but still there's no driver on the grid atm that can manage a week-end of F1 like Alonso is.

I think that's a bit much, quick when on the right strategy but as good as Alonso in only his second year? He would probably have won a race or two by now if he was. I don't think the Sauber is that much is slower than a Ferrari.

Back