2012 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 624 comments
Is it just me or is it really sad that Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda still attend almost every single Formula One event?

Huh? They both work in motorsport...

I'd turn your question around; "Is it just me or is it really cool that two champions from the hardcore F1 days still love the sport enough to continue to work there?"

Just sayin'

So, it was just me. Sure, I can understand they love the motorsport, but they are now up in their 70s and it have been like 40 years since they raced. I think it's time to put the sport aside, especially their opinion on every single little detail.

The main thing I have been annoyed at when it comes to those two is that they have to share their opinion on every single little detail, and they are very vocal about it every time. I still stand by what I said, but I respect that others didn't feel the same. I can definitely understand that.

Anyway, I'm surprised that Red Bull look stronger than McLaren. I am also surprised that Mercedes is competitive at a track like this.

Lotus continue to **** up Kimi's weekends. Seriously, give up the DDRS already. It's just distracting. If you don't want to give it up, put it on Romain's car during practice, so that he can try to get it to work. It's much more important to get a good base setup for Kimi, which so far this weekend, they've failed completely for Kimi.

I just came back from work and am really excited about the qualifying. :D

~

Last edited:
It looks like Vettel could take a big bite out of Alonso's lead, unless Alonso pulls some magic. But if Vettel wins that will be at least 7 points.

Goshin2568
The difference is that I'm arguing for Perez because I believe he is the better driver, not because I'm a loyal Perez fan. And yes, he may be speaking completely objectively, but the fact that A) He is going against popular opinion, and B) He is obviously a strong Kobayashi supporter, makes me think that the opinion might be out of a natural defense for the driver, as you said, rather than an objective view of the two drivers' talent.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion. But just because it's a popular opinion, it doesn't mean that it is completely true...

But nevertheless, there still must be some good reasons why Perez is rated highly, even though I think most people are too quick to dismiss Kobayashi without looking at the various underlying reasons that the stats don't seem to show IMO.

Centura
Lotus continue to **** up Kimi's weekends. Seriously, give up the DDRS already. It's just distracting. If you don't want to give it up, put it on Romain's car during practice, so that he can try to get it to work. It's much more important to get a good base setup for Kimi, which so far this weekend, they've failed completely for Kimi.

Hopefully Lotus can get their act together, especially for Raikkonen's title hopes.

Ok, so I'm up far too early for a Saturday, but I'm very excited about the qualifying. Just got to creep downstairs so to not wake my parents up.

Anyway, I'm surprised that Red Bull look stronger than McLaren. I am also surprised that Mercedes is competitive at a track like this.
RB and McLaren look fairly even, with perhaps RB looking better on the harder tires and McLaren looking faster on the softs. I'd place my money on Hamilton getting pole because of it, but the race could go either way.

But yes, Mercedes have been a little surprising.

Anybody else noticing a lag between the sound and video?
It's usually off by a few tenths, but right now it's off by 3-4 seconds.

Same here. Is it just on TSN?

Ferrari, why send out Massa on the softs. Webber isn't going out and TR aren't going to beat his time. Just a waste of tires. :indiff:

SagarisGTB
Same here. Is it just on TSN?

Ferrari, why send out Massa on the softs. Webber isn't going out and TR aren't going to beat his time. Just a waste of tires. :indiff:

Yeah exactly, they're in no way in danger of not making it, yet they decide to use the softer compound....

I think Schumacher desperately wanted to save a set of soft. Rosberg used a set of soft.

Senna /facepalm
Yes, you got held up, but stop waving your god damn arm and focus on driving instead.

Centura
So, it was just me. Sure, I can understand they love the motorsport, but they are now up in their 70s and it have been like 40 years since they raced. I think it's time to put the sport aside, especially their opinion on every single little detail.

To be in your 70's and still be involved in motorsports is something special. Just because you may be old/outdated doesn't mean you should just give it up, especially if you love it as they obviously do.

About Di Resta's complaining, the commentator here said "Do young drivers want 20 meter wide tracks or what?" :lol:

Looking like it will be a tight run for pole, I suspect a 1:31.2 will get it and that it will be presuming they get through:

Vettel
Hamilton
Alonso

Commentators on Sky F1 when Kobaiashi got pole in Q1 earlier: "And the crowd now erupt in to a polite ripple of applause" :lol:

The main thing I have been annoyed at when it comes to those two is that they have to share their opinion on every single little detail...

I agree with you on this part. After every incident, one or both of them will have their say. Every time!

I find Jackie Stewart extremely annoying as well, don't know why, I just do. Anyway, Vettel on pole for me at this point.

At this rate, Ferrari's title aspirations are about as legitimate as Sauber's. It feels like 2010 all over again.

Centura
Senna /facepalm
Yes, you got held up, but stop waving your god damn arm and focus on driving instead.

If there was an award for hand waving, he'd win it.

Matty
Commentators on Sky F1 when Kobaiashi got pole in Q1 earlier: "And the crowd now erupt in to a polite ripple of applause" :lol:

I'm guessing that was Brundle.

albteman015
Vettel just got a huge break there.

How exactly? Yes, we were robbed of an exciting finish, but no one was going to take pole from him.

That was an anti-climax. Though I think the result was settled anyway. Hopefully the race won't be a boring one, though looking at the pace of the Red Bulls I think it might be. :indiff:

What a great track!! Fact is you just have to love Suzuka if you're motorsport fan.

I think Kimi won't put that spin into his career highlights package from this track next to his glorious 2005 win from 17th on the grid (Fisico could say a thing or two about that race also).

What was the problem with Hamilton's car?

Shame about Webber's lock up in the hairpin.

Great drive by Kobayashi and de la Rosa.

Kobayashi passed Raikkonen when he was in the spoon beach and improved his time, possible penalty there. Hopefully not.

Last edited:
F1 fan
How exactly? Yes, we were robbed of an exciting finish, but no one was going to take pole from him.

Championship wise. Instead of being fourth , Alonso is now much further back which is probably going to decrease that lead big time tomorrow.

Latest Posts

Back