2013 NASCAR Thread

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 10,986 comments
Not looking forward to this weekend for NASCAR. I've been a fan since September 28, 2003. Most of the titles won between then and now have been won by Jimmie Johnson. Not cool seeing about half the time I've been a NASCAR fan a driver dominate the sport. Johnson will likely win his sixth career series title, so that will significantly reduce my viewership for 2014. He makes NASCAR not worth watching. And that's coming from a hardcore fan.

Meanwhile, the number 3 car will return to the Cup Series next year with Austin Dillon behind the wheel. For every track he wins at in the 3 car, that will be the last time I watch a race at that track. If two visits to the track, both are counted.

Its probably best that you just avoid NASCAR overall just to avoid any chance of this happening. I found much more enjoyment when I avoided the chase last year :)

Its probably best that you just avoid NASCAR overall just to avoid any chance of this happening. I found much more enjoyment when I avoided the chase last year :)

The thing I can't stand about NASCAR since Johnson made it to two or three straight championship victories is the mysterious caution where the yellow comes out for a spin or debris, but they never show the cause on TV. Or for something that's so subtle. All three of those happening at a point where it seems Johnson's out of contention for the win, then moves up in the field with the aid of said such cautions and wins or has a Top 10 at least.

Not looking forward to this weekend for NASCAR. I've been a fan since September 28, 2003. Most of the titles won between then and now have been won by Jimmie Johnson. Not cool seeing about half the time I've been a NASCAR fan a driver dominate the sport. Johnson will likely win his sixth career series title, so that will significantly reduce my viewership for 2014. He makes NASCAR not worth watching. And that's coming from a hardcore fan.

Meanwhile, the number 3 car will return to the Cup Series next year with Austin Dillon behind the wheel. For every track he wins at in the 3 car, that will be the last time I watch a race at that track. If two visits to the track, both are counted.

That make no sense at all. What connection do you have with the 3 that demands this? And while yeah JJ will probably win, how does that correlate to next season? For all we know he could crash out in half the races next year.

OK, someone explain to me why humanity en mass decided JJ Dominance = NASCAR automatically sucks. Maybe it's just because the internet either didn't exist or wasn't prevalent when Petty, Dale Sr., Jeff Gordon, Cale, or Michael Shumacher were winning everything. Jimmie and Sebastian Vettel (and Sebastian Loeb to an extent) have gotten ridiculous amounts of hate, just because they win alot. :odd:

I'm sorry, I just cannot wrap my head around this mindset. I can't call it logic because logic would be 'win a lot=get praised for it'.

At this point, I'm not even bothered with Kyle winning anymore. He's gonna be there and we can't do anything about it (and NASCAR will never do anything about it, which people should know by now).

And BKGlover, I totally agree. While its abit undesireable to not have your favorite driver win because someone is dominating, its abit unfathomable to irrational hate a driver because they win so much.

Lessons on CWTS I just learned:
-Matt Crafton, who has run 13 seasons in the series, wins the title this year, but has a grand total of three wins to his name.
-The owners championship goes to KBR, and I am confused as hell with it.
-Matt Crafton does not, in fact, lift.
-Ron Hornaday is showing his age.
-Mike Helton may legitimately need to retire.

That make no sense at all. What connection do you have with the 3 that demands this? And while yeah JJ will probably win, how does that correlate to next season? For all we know he could crash out in half the races next year.

OK, someone explain to me why humanity en mass decided JJ Dominance = NASCAR automatically sucks. Maybe it's just because the internet either didn't exist or wasn't prevalent when Petty, Dale Sr., Jeff Gordon, Cale, or Michael Shumacher were winning everything. Jimmie and Sebastian Vettel (and Sebastian Loeb to an extent) have gotten ridiculous amounts of hate, just because they win alot. :odd:

I'm sorry, I just cannot wrap my head around this mindset. I can't call it logic because logic would be 'win a lot=get praised for it'.

The 3 was used predominantly by the late Dale Earnhardt, and if their last name isn't Earnhardt, I personally don't think they should use the number. For JJ's probable championship win correlating to next season, it will only continue to cause a loss of interest. JJ dominating NASCAR is causing a loss of interest especially for me since I've only been a fan for ten years. Open-mindedly, JJ is a great racer, but I myself think that I don't use an open-minded opinion as much as I should. NASCAR is my first calling for motorsports, so I'm not yet at the point of being annoyed by Schumacher or Vettel's or anyone else's domination. NASCAR was the first motorsport I was ever a fan of. And I don't watch a lot of F1, and can't watch WRC. Those amazing, talented drivers you listed are some of the best their respective series have ever seen. Dale Earnhardt Jr is my favorite driver due to winning the 2004 Daytona 500. And the reason for not liking JJ is because no other driver has kinda not really had the chance to prove themselves with Johnson winning the title so many times. And I don't hate Johnson so much as having a strong opinion, and maybe a little bit of admittedly not knowing how to let something go easily.

Lessons on CWTS I just learned:
-Matt Crafton, who has run 13 seasons in the series, wins the title this year, but has a grand total of three wins to his name.
-The owners championship goes to KBR, and I am confused as hell with it.
-Matt Crafton does not, in fact, lift.
-Ron Hornaday is showing his age.
-Mike Helton may legitimately need to retire.

1. Yeah, that's hard to believe. Think that makes him the only driver to win at least one championship with only that many wins
2. I was so sure it was over myself, but then again that win by Erik Jones is what basically bounced that team back into contention. So in a way, Erik Jones saved Kyle's Ownership title.
3. Well if you recall, he's never scared :sly:
4. Meh, Part of me agrees but at the same time he's still got it actually.
5. I do agree as everytime he's in a position to speak, he's seems like he's losing his marbles abit.

The 3 was used predominantly by the late Dale Earnhardt, and if their last name isn't Earnhardt, I personally don't think they should use the number.

How do you feel about people using the 42 and 45?

I understand the connection some people get with numbers, but some people take it a tad bit too far. You should remember Dale for who he was and what he accomplished, not because he drove a black car with #3 on the side.

Can I break this down?
The 3 was used predominantly by the late Dale Earnhardt, and if their last name isn't Earnhardt, I personally don't think they should use the number.
I understand the sentiment here, but with only one set of numbers to work with eventually it was going to happen.
For JJ's probable championship win correlating to next season, it will only continue to cause a loss of interest. JJ dominating NASCAR is causing a loss of interest especially for me since I've only been a fan for ten years. Open-mindedly, JJ is a great racer, but I myself think that I don't use an open-minded opinion as much as I should.
Yeah, timing wasn't ideal, I'll give you that. At least you can admit stuff like that.
NASCAR is my first calling for motorsports, so I'm not yet at the point of being annoyed by Schumacher or Vettel's or anyone else's domination. NASCAR was the first motorsport I was ever a fan of. And I don't watch a lot of F1, and can't watch WRC. Those amazing, talented drivers you listed are some of the best their respective series have ever seen.
Understood, I knew NASCAR first as well, then drag racing and off-road racing, the Baja 1000 specifically, next. WRC and F1 came around once I was able to get Speedvision. First full NASCAR race watched was, unfortunately, the 2001 Daytona 500.
Dale Earnhardt Jr is my favorite driver due to winning the 2004 Daytona 500. And the reason for not liking JJ is because no other driver has kinda not really had the chance to prove themselves with Johnson winning the title so many times. And I don't hate Johnson so much as having a strong opinion, and maybe a little bit of admittedly not knowing how to let something go easily.
As one who has written off Jr., I have to give him a lot of credit for finishing well so regularly. Still, almost everyone has the chance to beat him week in and week out, but you can't base everything on chamionships. Jimmie does overshadow, but Jr. still got undeserved gobs of glory when he moved, then Penske and JGR have been able to stand up to Hendrick power regularly.

How do you feel about people using the 42 and 45?

I understand the connection some people get with numbers, but some people take it a tad bit too far. You should remember Dale for who he was and what he accomplished, not because he drove a black car with #3 on the side.

With the 42 and 45, I have to say that I feel the same as I do with the 3. Its just that the earliest race winner's name I can remember is Earnhardt. Since I've learned exactly how popular Dale Sr made the 3, it seems like Earnhardt should be the only name to go with that number.
For remembering Sr, I do. Great racer and sadly, another racing driver gone too soon, to say the absolute least. Just like Gilles Villenueve, Ayrton Senna, and others. I was never around for the Senna era of F1, but certainly have learned a lot about him and how the series was in that era.

Wait, Lee and Adam Petty?

Kenny Irwin Jr. drove the #42 when he died, Adam was in the #45.

With the 42 and 45, I have to say that I feel the same as I do with the 3.

The main problem with that is that there have been so many driver deaths that there really wouldn't be many numbers left.

Link

I really is sad how little they focused on safety for the first 40 years of the series.

Kenny Irwin Jr. drove the #42 when he died, Adam was in the #45.

The main problem with that is that there have been so many driver deaths that there really wouldn't be many numbers left.

Link

I really is sad how little they focused on safety for the first 40 years of the series.

Really agree with that last statement. Quite a shame how something tragic has to happen to spark a change. And if I can remember correctly from reading, I think the Senna era of F1 was when the cars had around 1000 bhp, and his death that sparked the change in power level?

I decided to see what numbers drivers had when they had their fatal crashes(Only counting Grand National & Winston Cup).

1,01,3,4,05,8,16,22,23,26,27,31,37,39,42,43,51,54,64,70,77,78,92,187,248. (Current and confirmed 2014 numbers italicized)

Notably the 22 has had 3 drivers lose their lives with the number on the car(Fireball Roberts, Billy Foster & Grant Adcox).

I decided to see what numbers drivers had when they had their fatal crashes(Only counting Grand National & Winston Cup).

1,01,3,4,05,8,16,22,23,26,27,31,37,39,42,43,51,54,64,70,77,78,92,187,248. (Current and confirmed 2014 numbers italicized)

Notably the 22 has had 3 drivers lose their lives with the number on the car(Fireball Roberts, Billy Foster & Grant Adcox).

That's definitely a lot more than I thought, but given NASCAR and how they've been around for 60+ years its not surprising there's that many.

Exactly :lol:

Leave it to some uneducated dimwit on a sports show to declare a race car driver "not an athlete". And then his excuse is "actively". Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't driving a race for as long as these guys do considered doing something "actively"?

Exactly :lol:

Leave it to some uneducated dimwit on a sports show to declare a race car driver "not an athlete". And then his excuse is "actively". Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't driving a race for as long as these guys do considered doing something "actively"?

No need for a correction at all. You use your arms a lot more than you use your legs, but you're staying active. At least in a small amount.

I think the problem with fans and Jimmie is how long his domination of the sport has lasted, not so much as how he's won so many races. Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt, and even Tony Stewart are among the sport's greatest and have had major slumps. Jimmie? His worst year was 2011, and even then he still won 2 races and finished 6th in points, and he likely would've been up in the championship hunt if it weren't for Kurt Busch tangling with Jimmie for most of the Chase.

If Jimmie had at least one or two bad years in the time he's been racing, it's likely that people wouldn't hate him as much. There were people that hated Dale Earnhardt for a long while, but most of the hate against him went away around the mid-90's as Gordon started dominating the sport. Most of the hate against Jeff Gordon didn't start until around the mid-90's when he beat Dale Earnhardt and won his first championship, and it ended around 2002. Then came Jimmie's reign of supremacy. If someone else starts dominating and wins like Jimmie does right now, I'm sure people would start hating the new superstar and stop hating Jimmie so much.

One thing I don't understand is how people were more accepting of drivers being dominant in the early years of NASCAR. Even then, Richard Petty, David Pearson, and Cale Yarborough had haters as well.

Being only 38 years old, Jimmie can easily win a few more titles without much competition against him (unless as mentioned, another driver starts dominating). I liked Jimmie before I started really getting into NASCAR a couple years back, then I started to join the club as I sick of him winning (as you can see in some earlier posts), but then I've learned to respect him for who he is and start liking him again.

Bottom line: If someone is dominating a sport, people are going to hate them. To me, Jimmie is just a great driver, plain and simple, end of story.

I think the problem with fans and Jimmie is how long his domination of the sport has lasted, not so much as how he's won so many races. Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt, and even Tony Stewart are among the sport's greatest and have had major slumps. Jimmie? His worst year was 2011, and even then he still won 2 races and finished 6th in points, and he likely would've been up in the championship hunt if it weren't for Kurt Busch tangling with Jimmie for most of the Chase.

If Jimmie had at least one or two bad years in the time he's been racing, it's likely that people wouldn't hate him as much. There were people that hated Dale Earnhardt for a long while, but most of the hate against him went away around the mid-90's as Gordon started dominating the sport. Most of the hate against Jeff Gordon didn't start until around the mid-90's when he beat Dale Earnhardt and won his first championship, and it ended around 2002. Then came Jimmie's reign of supremacy. If someone else starts dominating and wins like Jimmie does right now, I'm sure people would start hating the new superstar and stop hating Jimmie so much.

One thing I don't understand is how people were more accepting of drivers being dominant in the early years of NASCAR. Even then, Richard Petty, David Pearson, and Cale Yarborough had haters as well.

Being only 38 years old, Jimmie can easily win a few more titles without much competition against him (unless as mentioned, another driver starts dominating). I liked Jimmie before I started really getting into NASCAR a couple years back, then I started to join the club as I sick of him winning (as you can see in some earlier posts), but then I've learned to respect him for who he is and start liking him again.

Bottom line: If someone is dominating a sport, people are going to hate them. To me, Jimmie is just a great driver, plain and simple, end of story.

And that possible new face for dominating NASCAR could very well be Kyle Larson. He's like V8 Supercars. The more I see, the more I like. Same goes for German Quiroga. And one day, JJ could very well be in the Hall of Fame. He deserves to be, and I am finally starting to use an open-minded opinion more toward him.

And the reason for not liking JJ is because no other driver has kinda not really had the chance to prove themselves with Johnson winning the title so many times.

Not quite understanding this one.

How is no one else getting the chance to prove themselves? The beginning of every season IS the chance for teams to dethrone the #48, and for 5 consecutive (about to be 6 out of the last 8), they haven't gotten the job done.

Simply being better than the rest of your competitors is no reason to dislike someone, unless I'm misreading something here.

How could I stop Jimmie from winning his 6th and final championship?

Well it would require you from walking away from the key board taking a flight to Miami, and trying to run with the NASCARs, thus cutting off JJ. However, I shouldn't promote your stupidity so forget I said anything :sly:

2wJJKi9.jpg

And this is why I believed my driver could win the chase this year or finish second if he didn't have a bad race but that'd require not trying to pull a 2011 Carl Edwards.

Last edited:
Really agree with that last statement. Quite a shame how something tragic has to happen to spark a change. And if I can remember correctly from reading, I think the Senna era of F1 was when the cars had around 1000 bhp, and his death that sparked the change in power level?
No. The Turbo Era was when the cars had over 1000hp. Turbos were last used in 1987.

No. The Turbo Era was when the cars had over 1000hp. Turbos were last used in 1987.

No they weren't they were last used in 88 and banned from 1989 onward. However, you're right about that guy not knowing when and why the turbo era ended. Also @Johnny1996 Senna's death prompted a change in aerodynamics that reduced it by a good degree. The sides were raised and the wishbones were strengthened to prevent such accidents again -though technically it didn't since more was done recently due to a open wheel death.

Even though they didn't die in their cars, feel free to add the 7 and 28, for Alan Kulwicki and Davey Allison. Both were active drivers in their prime when they lost their lives in aviation accidents in 1993.

Austin Dillon vs. Sam Hornish Jr. for the 2013 NASCAR Nationwide championship today at Homestead. Good luck to both, as well as all other drivers and teams.

I accidentally hit Post Reply early. My apologies.

Back