2013 US G.D. - Racecamp is finished! Nick McMillen (GumballCGT) is our champion!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 1,566 comments
Unless they offer in game incentives, for GT5 or GT6, I think it highly unlikely that GTA will achieve 2012 numbers and doubt it will achieve 2011 levels either. I suspect the majority of the seriously casual GT players won't bother unless the aforementioned incentives are offered and announced. I know I'm not all that concerned about setting times in the qualifying TTs since there's nothing really to be gained. Be nice if they changed that. I'll do my best to gold them all anyway, just in case.

Hey guys it's been awhile since i've been on, I apologize for that!

Anyhow, I think you guys make a good point. I don't think we will see numbers like last year for the reasons stated above. And not to many people are wanting to put in a lot of time in to be running 257,359 or something. we are going on day 4 now and the number is only 7,9xx, seems to be pretty low if 450,000 were going to get back on.

My thinking is starting within the next year or two if there aren't prizes to be gained for a least competing then a ton of people will start to drop out knowing they don't stand a chance. Looking at the numbers if you aren't within the top 1 percent you really don't stand a chance. We are in a very small company here....and thank god for that!

Hey guys it's been awhile since i've been on, I apologize for that!

Anyhow, I think you guys make a good point. I don't think we will see numbers like last year for the reasons stated above. And not to many people are wanting to put in a lot of time in to be running 257,359 or something. we are going on day 4 now and the number is only 7,9xx, seems to be pretty low if 450,000 were going to get back on.

My thinking is starting within the next year or two if there aren't prizes to be gained for a least competing then a ton of people will start to drop out knowing they don't stand a chance. Looking at the numbers if you aren't within the top 1 percent you really don't stand a chance. We are in a very small company here....and thank god for that!

According to this, there are 367,452 entries. I'm assuming that's world wide, so that would mean the numbers thus far are WAY down! http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/academy/2013/

I think that whether its 53,000,100,000, or 400,000 people that enter the competition it will always be tough to make it to the top 32. Statistically there are only so many folks that can lap at those top times. So even if the number is way down it will be tough for someone who is a casual player, or even someone who is 'good', but just might not have the edge.

Good luck to those who enter this year.

BrianM3, best wishes man; it was cool randomly meeting you at Daytona this year. Kill it!

Eh the fastest I've gotten in 2 1/2 hours is a 22.990.. Maybe they'll choose a different track in the coming years

So should I just practice my powersliding or something? I've been trying to go as smooth as I can, but the high ghosts just kill me in the middle of the corner.

So should I just practice my powersliding or something? I've been trying to go as smooth as I can, but the high ghosts just kill me in the middle of the corner.
I wouldn't call it powersliding. It's an exercise in coordinated smooth turning and releasing of the brakes to get the best trajectory to be on power early out of corners. You might be smooth with your wheel, but you have to be smooth with all of your inputs AND maximize the time spend on the edge of the traction circle.

I wouldn't call it powersliding. It's an exercise in coordinated smooth turning and releasing of the brakes to get the best trajectory to be on power early out of corners. You might be smooth with your wheel, but you have to be smooth with all of your inputs AND maximize the time spend on the edge of the traction circle.

I disagree.. What you're describing is trail-braking. What I've seen from a portion of the fastest lap replays, is controlled, and smooth power slides. The kind that, in reality, would destroy your tires in a short time, and not leave you fast enough to outlast a group of good drivers. It actually makes me question the authenticity of the contest separating the best drivers. Not saying these guys are the best, but you couldn't be consistent destroying your tires that way. And it would require you to pace yourself more. The fast guys would still probably come out to be the same, but at least then it wouldn't feel like "he who controls the power slide the best, wins" I would have preferred a time trial like the ones in iRacing, where you have to run a series of laps consecutively without a mistake, or have to start over again, while managing your tires.. I was going as quick and smooth as I could, and only managed 24's. I started sliding the corners and hit mid 21's. I just don't feel that's a good way to judge for what they're looking for.

I disagree.. What you're describing is trail-braking.
It is trail braking, taken to the extreme. But don't take this from me:

Weight transfer and trail braking are what I use just to get the weight right and slide right when needed. For example the sharp left as I approach I purposefully over trail brake to get what I want knowing I can straighten, accelerate and then turn slightly as a way to reduce the risk.

So yeah, on exit you might have to countersteer a hair while applying power, but that doesn't seem to be enough to qualify what's going on as 'powersliding'. There is sliding into the corners, but that's weight transfer done just right, via trail braking.

But, hey, I'm slow, I can probably get to high 18s at best and it would be painful, so I might be blowing smoke.

Are we not doing stages anymore like last year? If not that's messed up I think. It gives people like me who work 13hrs a day a huge disadvantage. Also, how the hell are you getting so much grip out of turn 4 (the really slow left)? I'm ahead of the fastest time up to that point, then he blows by me because he has much more grip! I'm seriously almost in tears, because last year I was 33rd, but told I hadn't registered (which is crap) so with Let_Canada_In out, I wouldve been in. This is seriously my last chance to win this thing I feel like. That one corner is just killing me. Any help is appreciated.

Are we not doing stages anymore like last year? If not that's messed up I think. It gives people like me who work 13hrs a day a huge disadvantage. Also, how the hell are you getting so much grip out of turn 4 (the really slow left)? I'm ahead of the fastest time up to that point, then he blows by me because he has much more grip! I'm seriously almost in tears, because last year I was 33rd, but told I hadn't registered (which is crap) so with Let_Canada_In out, I wouldve been in. This is seriously my last chance to win this thing I feel like. That one corner is just killing me. Any help is appreciated.
How could it be a disadvantage? 23 days to get a good time. Do you have a day off you could use this month? Also, last year? I think it was in sections 2 years ago.

As for the corner I'm no expert but:
Get the cars nose pointed at the exit before nailing it. You really need to keep the front wheels straight.
Feather the throttle until you have a clean exit. Then go WOT.
Keep it in 2nd and let the wheels spin. When you are about to hit the rumble strip shift to 3rd.

I know my laptime isn't anything to brag about, seeing as I'm just outside of the top 200, but I was close to knocking about 1 second off that time when I lost it coming out of Stowe.

Although I did run a 2'12 by straight cutting Maggots, Becketts and Chapel after the lap had already gone red. :lol:

How could it be a disadvantage? 23 days to get a good time. Do you have a day off you could use this month? Also, last year? I think it was in sections 2 years ago.

As for the corner I'm no expert but:
Get the cars nose pointed at the exit before nailing it. You really need to keep the front wheels straight.
Feather the throttle until you have a clean exit. Then go WOT.
Keep it in 2nd and let the wheels spin. When you are about to hit the rumble strip shift to 3rd.

No time off work because of a government deadline I have to meet. Last year was Twin Ring Motegi. We did several sections to cut down the number of people, then round 8(?) was a full lap around Twin Ring.

Thanks for the advice on the corner. It's driving me insane. I think the lead ghost is using hand-brake there because of how much rotation he's getting. His acceleration leaves me in the dust. I'm a really smooth, consistent driver, not a slide everywhere and be fast for one lap driver.

This is just my opinion, but I think that's the one mistake with GTA, consistency is not measured. Make us do 5 hotlaps in a row or something. But, that's just an opinion.

I know my laptime isn't anything to brag about, seeing as I'm just outside of the top 200, but I was close to knocking about 1 second off that time when I lost it coming out of Stowe.

Although I did run a 2'12 by straight cutting Maggots, Becketts and Chapel after the lap had already gone red. :lol:

I'm in the same boat right now. Stowe is a toughy. If you go just a mm too far you're invalidated. Come over to my place and do turn 4 for me and I'll do Stowe for you! It's a win-win.

Last edited by a moderator:
No time off work because of a government deadline I have to meet. Last year was Twin Ring Motegi. We did several sections to cut down the number of people, then round 8(?) was a full lap around Twin Ring.

Thanks for the advice on the corner. It's driving me insane. I think the lead ghost is using hand-brake there because of how much rotation he's getting. His acceleration leaves me in the dust. I'm a really smooth, consistent driver, not a slide everywhere and be fast for one lap driver.

No, last year was Twin Ring Motegi, but it didn't cut down the number of people, that was 2011.

And 33rd? Here are the 2012 results:
http://www.mygranturismo.net/rankings.php?sec=2&board=2-8-5&cy=us

Laptimes have been ever so slowly coming down and FINALLY broke into the 2.18's after chasing this one guys ghost down for days. But im sitting in 36th and just gonna try to make it to a 2.18.4 since i believe right now that that is the cut off really in the US.

I think that whether its 53,000,100,000, or 400,000 people that enter the competition it will always be tough to make it to the top 32. Statistically there are only so many folks that can lap at those top times. So even if the number is way down it will be tough for someone who is a casual player, or even someone who is 'good', but just might not have the edge.

Good luck to those who enter this year.

BrianM3, best wishes man; it was cool randomly meeting you at Daytona this year. Kill it!

Hey, thanks! Yeah it was nice meeting you as well. Sorry I couldn't chat more with you the crew chief doesn't really like us standing around shooting the stuff if you know what I mean. :sly:

I am slow as hell through Turn 4 and Luffields...I don't know whether to trail brake it into Luffields, or slice along the curbs. As for turn 4, I seem to have found a bit of speed by pointing the nose straight on exit, but I still am 2-3 tenths off of Ti-Tech through Sector 1. I am about .6 down after Copse. Then I gain .1-.2 through Maggots and Becketts. Chapel always is hit or miss. For me, that last sector is all blue time :) I love flying down into Stowe. I seem to gain about .05-.1 through there, but then I lose whatever I gained on exit of the last two corners.

This is just what I have found. Currently sitting @ 2:17.856. I think that puts me top 5 for the US.

Anybody got tips for Luffields? I'll pay you in Trident Layers.

This is just my opinion, but I think that's the one mistake with GTA, consistency is not measured. Make us do 5 hotlaps in a row or something.
That will just put people with busy schedules like you at a bigger disadvantage. Kids with all the time in the world will still have enough time to keep running those 5 laps in 'balls to the wall' style until they post a crazy time, crashing badly 1000 times, but making it on 999th.

Even iracing-style safety rating requirement won't work.

That will just put people with busy schedules like you at a bigger disadvantage. Kids with all the time in the world will still have enough time to keep running those 5 laps in 'balls to the wall' style until they post a crazy time, crashing badly 1000 times, but making it on 999th.

Even iracing-style safety rating requirement won't work.

Possibly they could set it up so we run 5 laps then it locks after the 5th for 3-4 hours. Then 5 more laps are available before locking after the 5th and so on....Just a thought but I do like the consistancy idea.

My thought has always been, run 2 or 3 tracks that are custom and allow us to do 8-10 laps. Once complete you are done and the fastest times move on to the final time trial. Part of being a racing driver is being able to learn new tracks quickly, finding your marks, and etc.

Giving us 28 days or so to run as we please really does nothing but show who can be fast while putting 700 hours into just driving laps. I would want the guy that can go fast in only 5-10 hours

Possibly...
People will then practice with back-up accounts/friend's PS3s/ whatever else.

I mean I get the whole consistency point, but it only makes sense if the amount of time allowed per competitor is the same, which is impossible to enforce.

It could be enforced in person or at a stage of the competition after the TT. Say another online round in a pre-determined time slot with some judges to observe.

But to be honest, I think consistency is more of a mental skill and can be developed at a later stage. So the approach of selecting people who can at least once achieve the best level of hand/leg/eye coordination is good enough.

I wish I could be selected for this but sadly I haven't gotten my wheel as yet. I would love to go through the training, it looks very interesting and I know that I will learn a lot and grow as a better driver. Such a dream though :-(. Although I know GTA has a partnership with Nismo, I would like to stand out and be a the first MR driver for Nismo, but the car concept I have in mind already.

Find a SCCA Drivers Lessons in your local area or try a go-kart track with a school in it.

KingBestJr
Im ready to rip my hair out at least what I have left lol

Same. Losing mine and I'm only 28. And this isn't helping.

Put in 2 hours tonight (well, this morning as it's 3am) and picked up a couple tenths. This car is so badly set up it's really hard for me to mimic what others are doing. The skill set required for sliding the car into the corner just isn't in my bag of tricks. Gotta figure out how to get a couple more tenths, then I'll be happy.

Same. Losing mine and I'm only 28. And this isn't helping.

Put in 2 hours tonight (well, this morning as it's 3am) and picked up a couple tenths. This car is so badly set up it's really hard for me to mimic what others are doing. The skill set required for sliding the car into the corner just isn't in my bag of tricks. Gotta figure out how to get a couple more tenths, then I'll be happy.

To me the car just feels inconsistent on entry and exit. Still plenty of time left ill eventually nail a lap I hope haha.

Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but it feels like the car handles better on shorter runs than it does after 10-20 consecutive laps. I don't think it's actually happening since tire wear isn't a factor, so heat in the tires shouldn't make any difference.

Find a SCCA Drivers Lessons in your local area or try a go-kart track with a school in it.

What he said! ^ I recommend Evolution Performance Driving School. I did that a while back, and MAN it was helpful! I already thought I was decent, but they prove that their is always something to learn! And it's really reasonably priced! :dopey:

http://evoschool.com/

FINALLY !!!!! Lol got a 2:18.378. Was on pace for a .1 coming down that last straight before last couple turns, but I always choke in right hander after straight so I drove into corner way to.easy but no complaints at least I beat my previous best lap. :dopey:

What he said! ^ I recommend Evolution Performance Driving School. I did that a while back, and MAN it was helpful! I already thought I was decent, but they prove that their is always something to learn! And it's really reasonably priced! :dopey:

http://evoschool.com/
Make sure it's gonna be a well-organized one, without major events nearby on the day of the school. The one I went to this spring was understaffed, had us work courses (something I didn't think was common, since I worked the school some years back when the region I ran with hosted the school but I didn't have the dough to swing it), which were very short to begin with.

Back