2013 WRS World Cup : Team USA Discussions

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 224 comments
I should be on, but can't start until 9:30pm PT at the earliest.

I set up for the swing shift tonight :)

4-night.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be on by 8:45 PM Pacific myself. Let's just meet in the main lounge since there won't be anyone else on at that point anyway. :sly:

I'm open to practice whatever, but would like to start planning out our plan of attack for "team based" qualifying. Meaning trying to figure out how we work the system so our drivers each get a boost in their laps for quali. At the same time practice some pulling/pushing/tugging techniques.

Honestly, for met at least, Spa is relatively easy compared to Fuji. All qualifying is done at Fuji too so we may want to focus on that mostly until after we all qualify.

I try not to swim in the particulars to much so what ever youz guyz want to do I'm good w/ so I'll show up and go from there :)

I invited Team Canada to join us tonight... not sure if they can make it, but figured I'd let them know given they may be adopting Porsche. :sly:

I'll be on by 8:45 PM Pacific myself. Let's just meet in the main lounge since there won't be anyone else on at that point anyway. :sly:

I'm open to practice whatever, but would like to start planning out our plan of attack for "team based" qualifying. Meaning trying to figure out how we work the system so our drivers each get a boost in their laps for quali. At the same time practice some pulling/pushing/tugging techniques.

Honestly, for met at least, Spa is relatively easy compared to Fuji. All qualifying is done at Fuji too so we may want to focus on that mostly until after we all qualify.

I'll be there.

In the lounge now. Lefty was listed when I joined, but is now gone.

Fun practice last night guys. The qualifying format will be interesting.

Now is beyond the time to finalize the teams. Every driver needs to commit 100% to making the qualification deadline *and* the event if we are going with Plan A which is to split 4/3/3. If we even have one guy on the fence (unsure, indifferent, etc) we're going with plan B which is to have only 2 teams and split 4/4 and Porsche is going to drive for Team Canada.

If someone does feel like they would like to just sign up as a fill in they can prepare with the team. Run a qualification (solo) and even join another team if we end up not getting any cancellations. There are several teams with just 3 drivers.

Anyone (besides Porsche) willing to be a fill-in or willing to join one of the other teams? Jared -- since you didn't make the qualification deadline I'll ask you... are you 100% sure to make the event and qualification?

If we end up with two teams of 3 than one no-show or cancellation and those teams are DQ'd.

I'll be around this weekend and can run only one session each day so if there is something that is going on that is organized or if something is just going on for the team w/ a couple hr. ahead of time alert I can throw down 👍

I got a PM from Al, if T_L doesn't respond to him by the end of today, I am racing for Team Canada.

Had fun last night, especially trying things I have never tried before,so thanks everyone.👍
One of my biggest problems is getting too nervous when I am on track with other drivers. I have been trying to show up for more practices to get over that. :)

I am still in 100%, if you need to move me to another team that's fine, whatever will help make all this happen.👍

One of my biggest problems is getting too nervous when I am on track with other drivers.

The transition from TT to working w/ other around you is a learned skill and the only way is to improve is to spend the seat time. Working in the trenches on line w/ the unwashed masses is a great way to learn where your corners are, as in the corners of the rectangular box your driving in. The riffraff you cross paths w/ as well as the cheating moves they try to make, really prepare you for our version of respectful racing as well as sharpen up your preparation when another driver around you is having problems and might take you out by mistake.

The transition from TT to working w/ other around you is a learned skill and the only way is to improve is to spend the seat time. Working in the trenches on line w/ the unwashed masses is a great way to learn where your corners are, as in the corners of the rectangular box your driving in. The riffraff you cross paths w/ as well as the cheating moves they try to make, really prepare you for our version of respectful racing as well as sharpen up your preparation when another driver around you is having problems and might take you out by mistake.

Thanks Lefty, I am going to try to get as much seat time as possible.:)

It's official, Porsche is driving for Team Canada and Jump_Ace is not taking part (he hasn't responded in a while and is busy in the middle of a move to a new house). Also, Team UK Tees has disbanded due to a couple cancellations and thus we have to reduce the overall event to 12 teams to equalize the rooms/brackets (we sit at 13 now). Team USA will need to consolidate to 2 teams for sure which will get us to 12.

That means one additional driver (besides Porsche) is going to have to join one of the remaining teams with 3. Based on qualification times that would be Jared (who did not run the USA qualifier while everyone else did).

Jared, there are multiple teams with just 3 drivers at this point. I think Vinal and Dano (from UK Tees) are going to fill out teams UK and Nordic which leaves the two NE teams and Team Belgium as in need of drivers. The other option is to stay on reserve, run your qualifier this week and fill in if someone cancels out of the 8 on USA. Either way you are welcome to continue to practice with us of course as is Shawn.

You can paint your cars now as specified in the OP (quoted below) and also each sub-team needs to coordinate on an official qualification time. We should try to qualify as a team and provide assists if desired, but if a time can't be agreed upon then you just do the qualifier independently. It's rather dubious if the assist can actually help, but it's fun and different at least.

Team USA Roster:

Confirmed:
  1. GTP_WRP001 - 1'35.802
  2. GTP_Gravitron - 1'35.906
  3. GTP_DZ - 1'36.291
  4. GTP_EDK - 1'36.427
  5. GTP_orsche - 1'36.574 (to Team Canada)
  6. GTP_LeftyWright - 1'36.792
  7. GTP_otxjto - 1'36.998
  8. GTP_RaceRyder - 1'37.590
  9. GTP_gman1647 - 1'38.824
  10. GTP_Jared93 - DNQ (to Team TBD)

Sub-Teams:
COKciwU2Wzt4FTpKnR_0_zps9f7cfe1a.png

Team USA Red:
  • Quali Date/Time: TBD
  • Livery: Patriot Blue Pearl Coat (Body) | Grand Prix Red (Rims)
  1. GTP_WRP001
  2. GTP_Gravitron
  3. GTP_DZ
  4. GTP_EDK
Livery_TeamUSABlue.png
(need update w/white rims)
Team USA White:
  • Quali Date/Time: TBD
  • Livery: Blu Daytona Metallizzato (Body) | White (Rims)
  1. GTP_LeftyWright
  2. GTP_otxjto
  3. GTP_RaceRyder
  4. GTP_gman1647

PS> Can someone from Team USA White put a Blu Daytona Metallizzato (Body) | White (Rims) car on share so I can update the Team USA White livery thumbnail?

Last edited:
Quali Date/Time: TBD ?

What is this :dunce:

The qualification lap we all ran was just to break out Team USA into subteams. We still have to do the qualification for the main event. For the main event there is the option to qualify as a team all together... i.e. all race at once instead of individually which gives you the option to pull/push like we were practicing the other night (you would be pulling or pushing someone on their timed lap during your un-timed out/in lap so you aren't impacted as the assister).

The date/time TBD above is the time you agree on with your sub-team to do the qualification together -- if you can agree -- otherwise you'll all just run the qualifier again individually. It has to be before Friday August 9th at 23:59 GMT. Does that make sense?

Per the event details:

Pre-Qualifying:
  • Each team and driver must pre-qualify for the event
  • Each team is then assigned a seeding based on the average of the top 3 drivers qualification times
  • Drivers that fail to qualify by the deadline will start behind all qualifiers ranked by handicap. As for the team average for seeding, drivers missing the qualifying deadline will be assign the time from the slowest driver on the team plus a 2 second penalty (only the top 3 are averaged per team so there may be no impact on the team). Basically, don't miss the deadline.

Qualification
  • Each team will qualify together in an observed pre-qualifying race setup with at least one approved qualifying steward present to verify the room settings and green flag the laps (via replay since they can't watch every driver at once).
  • The qualifying race will be set to 5 laps: one un-timed out-lap, two timed laps, one un-timed in-lap, plus one buffer lap so the race end timer never gets tripped.
  • Drivers are allowed to assist each other via draft (pulling or bumping) if they choose.
  • Drivers will be allowed to reverse off the grid and position themselves on the final corner prior to their out lap. But after this initial setup, no driver can go backwards again, but otherwise they can proceed as dictated by their "assist" strategy. Examples:
    • Relay: The first driver proceeds on his out-lap, while the others reverse and park on the final corner. As that first driver approaches his first hot lap one of the parked drivers begins his out lap and at the same time provides a draft assist, getting out of the way if desired prior to turn 1 or continuing to pull...
    • Train: Fastest driver goes first and pulls a 2nd driver.
    • No Assist: Drivers spread out and avoid draft as well as any possible interference.
    • Combination of the above.
  • Normal track boundary rules and penalties apply to each driver.
  • The final buffer lap can be used to assist, but take care not to cross the finish at the end of that lap. If the race finish timer is tripped that's the fault of the team and they will suffer if they can't complete their hot laps.
  • Drivers/teams may choose to forgo the team qualifying and run a solo session. By choice or because they prefer to run solo.
  • Any driver that DC's during a team qualification session before completing a single timed lap can qualify solo, but will only get one timed lap in their make-up quali race. Once a hot lap is completed no re-runs are allowed.

What time zones are my teammates in (Lefty, otxjto, and RaceRyder)? I'm in central. Generally, I can be online between 9:00pm-12:00am eastern (maybe not 3 hours straight, but during that time period). Can we set up some practice together this week (other Team USA folk are welcome to join)?

As for painting the car, which vehicles do the colors come from?

Blu Daytona Metallizzato comes from the Alfa Romeo Brera which is a premium car. Not sure which white it is.

The car is tradeable also... I plan to send the car for Team USA Red to each of the other 3 drivers (DZ, EDK, Gravitron) over the next day with the correct paints. It's a stock tune so there is nothing to worry about there.

It's just plain white. The crazy thing with GT5 is the same color (same name) can look different so just look for a nice pure white.

PS> Can someone from Team USA White put a Blu Daytona Metallizzato (Body) | White (Rims) car on share so I can update the Team USA White livery thumbnail?

Tim, I just put one on share.👍

What time zones are my teammates in (Lefty, otxjto, and RaceRyder)? I'm in central. Generally, I can be online between 9:00pm-12:00am eastern (maybe not 3 hours straight, but during that time period). Can we set up some practice together this week (other Team USA folk are welcome to join)?

I am in Mountain time, I missed practice today because one of my sons surprised me with a visit, so we have been goofing off today.:)

I can make practice at those times starting Monday night if you want.

Tim, I just put one on share.👍

Got the picture Joe. You can take it offline and use the car now if you need it.

DZ -- I sent you a car painted in the Team USA Red livery.

EDK, Gravitron -- I sent you the two paints.

EDIT: That blue (Blu Daytona Metallizzato) looks lighter than I thought (more of a Finland blue). If you guys on team white prefer the darker blue, that's up to you. Just let me know what you choose and if you change it share the car quickly so I can grab it. After looking at it I think the darker blue version with white looks better. Team Red will stick to the chosen colors.

Livery_TeamUSAWhite.png

You might the blue below with white rims instead of the red rims shown:

ly4Ymm4UhSWoSqp9ay_0_zps5d1b1d35.png

Last edited:
To: Team Red (EDK, Gravitron, DZ, WRP)

When are you guys available to do the qualifier this week? I'm available most nights, but not until 8:30 PM usually... I can make an exception if we have a firm date and show up a little earlier one night. I would want at least 30 minutes prior to the run to really zone in on Fuji... Everything time I go back it takes a few laps to get back in the groove... wish the qualifier was at Spa instead!

I know EDK, Gravitron and myself are in Pacific time zone. Not sure about DZ.

NOTE: If we can't schedule a time all together we can split into groups. I know Lucas and I are often on late and we can just do a combo run late night one day this week. EDK is usually not on very late. I'm thinking Thursday night is probably my best option.

To: Team Red (EDK, Gravitron, DZ, WRP)

When are you guys available to do the qualifier this week? I'm available most nights, but not until 8:30 PM usually... I can make an exception if we have a firm date and show up a little earlier one night. I would want at least 30 minutes prior to the run to really zone in on Fuji... Everything time I go back it takes a few laps to get back in the groove... wish the qualifier was at Spa instead!

I know EDK, Gravitron and myself are in Pacific time zone. Not sure about DZ.

NOTE: If we can't schedule a time all together we can split into groups. I know Lucas and I are often on late and we can just do a combo run late night one day this week. EDK is usually not on very late. I'm thinking Thursday night is probably my best option.

I'm in the same time zone as you guys, I can run every night, Tuesdays and Thursdays will have to be after 8:30 pm and Wednesday may not be the best time since I get my wisdom teeth out that day

I'm in the same time zone as you guys, I can run every night, Tuesdays and Thursdays will have to be after 8:30 pm and Wednesday may not be the best time since I get my wisdom teeth out that day

👍 Thursday after 8:30 PM Pacific is perfect for me. Around 9:15-9:30 PM Pacific would be perfect as it will give me time to properly warm up. Just not sure if EDK can make it as he is pretty much an early bird. :sly:

I'd be up for some mock team quali runs on Tuesday night after 8:30 PM if you guys are up for it. Basically, I plan to practice every night this week with the exception of Wednesday

I should be good for every night, after 8pm-ish.
I have post-work evening errands M and Tues, but should be done before 8. Wed thru to Sat looks free, caveat kid stuffs randomly popping up. Thurs quali sounds good to me. 👍

I will be in main lounge in about 30 mins. Al is there. I feel good about Spa, but I need work on Fuji. Quali is important so have to switch into that mode soon. If we quali on thurs can do final race strategy touch up on Friday.

Back