2013 WRS World Cup : Team USA Discussions

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 224 comments
Hey guys, I'll be there in a bit. My oldest is having a hard time going to sleep. When he knocks out I'll join for a bit.

Qualifier for Team USA:

GTPorsche:

1. 1'36.574
2. 1'36.633

Steward: GTP_otxjto

Last edited:
On line splashing around was a hoot tonight in DZ lounge, to bad you didn't show up over there Kevin. we would have come and got ya if we had known.

On line splashing around was a hoot tonight in DZ lounge, to bad you didn't show up over there Kevin. we would have come and got ya if we had known.

As I said in here before, I am not on his friends list............

Qualifier for Team USA:

GTP_LeftyWright69 :

1-1'36.792
2-1'37.273
Steward: GTP_otxjto,gman1647

GTP_gman1647 :

1-1'38.824
2-1'39.090
Steward: GTP_otxjto,LeftyWright69

Qualifying in main lounge do not enter till i repost.Thanks

Last edited:
I'll be joining shortly... as soon as the post is made that it's open.

Lounge open.

Qualifier for Team USA:

EDK

1-1'36.427
2-1'36.872

Steward: GTP_otxjto

Last edited:
Jared & Dale... we're in the main lounge... will be here for the next 50 minutes until the quali deadline. We've had 8 drivers qualify so far.

Dale showed up in the lounge at 9:58 PM Pacific, but wasn't quite ready to quali and I couldn't stick around so I couldn't qualify him. We have just 8 that qualified by the deadline so far. If someone is available right now to go observe Dale, please do.

So here is where we are at:

Team USA Roster:

Confirmed And Qualified:
  1. GTP_WRP001 - 1'35.802
  2. GTP_Gravitron - 1'35.906
  3. GTP_DZ - 1'36.291
  4. GTP_EDK - 1'36.427
  5. GTP_orsche - 1'36.574
  6. GTP_LeftyWright - 1'36.792
  7. GTP_otxjto - 1'36.998
  8. GTP_gman1647 - 1'38.824

Confirmed Drivers:
  • GTP_Jared93
  • GTP_RaceRyder

Reserve Drivers:
  • GTP_Jump_Ace

The question is what do we do now. We have 2 guys that didn't qualify (Jared, Dale) and one (Jump_Ace) that didn't qualify and is going to just be a fill-in if we need an extra.

If we have just the 8 qualifiers the teams are:

Team USA Red (4): GTP_WRP001, GTP_Gravitron, GTP_DZ, GTP_EDK
Team USA White (4): GTP_orsche, GTP_LeftyWright ,GTP_otxjto, GTP_gman1647

If Jared and Dale *both* still want to take part:

Team USA Red (4): GTP_WRP001, GTP_Gravitron, GTP_DZ, GTP_EDK
Team USA White (3): GTP_orsche, GTP_LeftyWright ,GTP_otxjto
Team USA Blue (3): GTP_gman1647, GTP_Jared93, GTP_RaceRyde

If only one of Jared and Dale are in then we've got three teams of 3:

Team USA Red (3): GTP_WRP001, GTP_Gravitron, GTP_DZ
Team USA White (3): GTP_EDK, GTP_orsche, GTP_LeftyWright
Team USA Blue (3): GTP_otxjto, GTP_gman1647, [GTP_Jared93 OR GTP_RaceRyde]

What do you guys say?

I'm reluctant to have 3 teams of three to be honest as we know someone is going to have a change of plans. If we do that, each guy has to be 100% committed.

We need to decide on this by end of day today so we can start working as a team on team qualifying and also race tactics.

Also, if anyone has an agreeable swap from the above sub-teams, that's fine with me as long as both drivers agree. (I.e. if two drivers agree to swap teams). But at least now we've had quali so we have a "fair" way to break them out by pace which should be the best setup for working together in the race and qualifying.

Dale and Jared -- we need to here from you. And the rest of you please weigh in.

So how many laps are you guys getting on one set of tyres?

At Fuji I can go 13 laps, but it's very tricky toward the end, especially if you are in dirty air the last couple laps. During the practice race I ran 11 laps + 13 laps. The car is a bit better on tires with lower fuel so best to short pit and do a longer 2nd stint. Also might want to adjust your BB so it's lower in the back for the race versus quali to save those rears and keep the car from getting too loose.

We need to test if it makes sense to do 2 stop and just go 7/8/9 instead. That might be a good strategy depending on track position, etc. If it's very close between 1-stop and 2-stop the single stop involves much more risk of a crash.

At Spa? Not sure yet.

Since we know that people can have scheduling issues and nothing is 100% I'd have to say wo/ 100% from Jared go w/ the sure bet :dunce:

3 teams of 3 would hurt our chances for points wouldn't it?

Since it's looking like I'm on USA White in every scenario, I think I'll go ahead and paint my car in those colors.

I'm kind of the swing man on this, so I'm reluctant to take a strong position. I will say that my race pace is more likely to match the top team than the second team, just baed on my practice lap times, etc.

Also tend to agree with Tim's point on someone likely dropping out, as well as Shawn's about odds of scoring optimum points.

Based on all of that, I think 2 teams of 8 would likely be best. But I am OK with any scenario, and flexible to change paint schemes, as required. ;)

Dale qualified 1'37.590, but he didn't have a steward to watch and didn't make the deadline, but nobody was available to watch and that was his time.

Jared didn't make the practice race he signed up for today, he quit the Fuji race after 5 laps and didn't qualify in time, so...

I do have an idea... Team Canada is not getting a response from T-L so likely they only have 3... we could send one driver to our neighbors to the north. It looks like Dale wants to drive, he took part in the practice race at Spa today so we are 9. Between us and canada there are 12 drivers committed... makes sense to me!

Thoughts? We'd have to ask Team Canada, but they can't be hurt by a 4th driver.

Would any of you volunteer if Team Canada would take one of our drivers?

Haven't gotten around to painting my car yet, but even if I had it wouldn't be a big deal to me if I had to change it again... if one of us were to switch to Canada to fill out their team.

Haven't gotten around to painting my car yet, but even if I had it wouldn't be a big deal to me if I had to change it again... if one of us were to switch to Canada to fill out their team.

So you are OK if Team Canada needs a driver to swap teams?

I haven't heard back from Al or the rest of team Canada with my proposal. I think they are giving T-L one last chance to respond, but if he hasn't so far and he is on reserve anyway, there isn't much hope.

I'm sure they'll be glad to have you and we'll be sad to lose you, but it's probably better for all teams if we are a solid 4 per team. You can paint the car red (and secretly paint the tires blue and you'll still be red/white/blue :mischievous:)

PS> Funny video Lefty. :lol:

I'm on the fence, as I would potentially harm the effectiveness of a two-team USA squad, but splitting into three would potentially place some confirmed drivers participation in jeopardy. It sounds like a two team USA squad is the way to go, though.

Yeah, I'd gladly volunteer to help Canada out, if they need a 4th driver and there aren't any other drivers they could pick up. I'm not sure who is still a free agent at this point, or needs a team due to others dropping out.

Isn't there a UK team using red body with blue wheels?

Yeah, I'ed gladly volunteer to help Canada out, if they need a 4th driver and there aren't any other drivers they could pick up. I'm not sure who is still a free agent at this point, or needs a team due to others dropping out.

Isn't there a UK team using red body with blue wheels?

I was joking about the blue wheels... and yes Team GB has that exact scheme now that you mention it... red with blue wheels.

Back