2014/15 Premier League and General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Pagey279
  • 1,959 comments
It does look like a Track day ensemble from GM. I am sort of glad Arsenal got Puma, they do make some exciting stuff and I love the look of the new kit.

Read on Twitter that Cardiff have accepted a bid from QPR for Steven Caulker...

tinhat mode

Okay, here's a left field thought as to the lack of success of the English national team: English as the lingua franca, the mutual language. The huge success of English as a world language means that many, many, many top international stars speak it, and is going to be used at clubs where the players are a multicultural melting pot both here, and probably abroad as well. The Man City players have to have some semblance of English to understand each other, and if Bulgaria's Ludogorets Razgrad has Finns, Franks, Brazilians, Dutchies and Slovenians, are they going to speak Bulgarian or more likely English?

So when it comes to communicating on the field, English players can't really disguise what they're saying in their native language. Anybody else who speaks English is going to understand them, and that's going to be a large amount of players at the top end of the game. Thus, players who speak only English have no way of talking tactics on the field without others overhearing and understanding.

Conversely, the Dutch and Dutch players at other clubs can talk in Dutch and very few on the outside will understand them. The Romanians and Romanian players at other clubs can talk in Romanian and very few on the outside will understand them. The Czechs and Czech players at other clubs can talk in Czech and very few on the outside will understand them.

Obviously this isn't quite as true with regards to Spanish or French, two very widely used languages, nor am I saying that this is the only reason England are rubbish, but it's just a factor I don't think is considered but possibly should be.

/tinhat

Former Barca goalie Valdez failed the medical test for AS Monaco. Well duh, he is injured.

Very sad day for the whole of the footballing world. Easily one of the all time top XI :(. RIP.

Alfredo di Stefano.

He was going to be my next trivia question; probably the only player to have represented three FIFA affiliated countries internationally; Argentina, Columbia and Spain.

Great player of the era, sad to see him go.

Last edited:
i2j.gif

And he's gone... :(

Hasta Siempre Saeta...

ads-1-sized.jpg

diestefano.jpg

Still don't get the Chevy logo, couldn't they slap an Opel one atleast they'll still sell in Europe.
Because Chevrolet are our main sponsors now. I don't even think Vauxhaul/Opel are even a minor sponsor.

Because Chevrolet are our main sponsors now. I don't even think Vauxhaul/Opel are even a minor sponsor.

SO is the deal struck with Chevy or GM, I think the latter. Chevy will pull out of Europe so weird decision.

Ironic given that Chevrolet is actually withdrawing from the British and European market.

Very sad to hear about Di Stefano, the games first World Class player...

West Ham have made a bid of £12 million for Konoplyanka...

....and how about this, Ross McCormack has joined Fulham from Leeds for £11 million!, he is a good player but that's a Championship player going to one Championship team to another....ELEVEN MILLION POUNDS!!!

Didn't they just drop £11 million on Mitroglou back in January? And I use the term drop quite literally.

They did, McCormack was top goalscorer in the Championship last season so he is a good player but £11 mill is insane! that's up there with Luiz to PSG for £50 mill as the most WTF transfer of the summer!

tinhat mode

Okay, here's a left field thought as to the lack of success of the English national team: English as the lingua franca, the mutual language.

So when it comes to communicating on the field, English players can't really disguise what they're saying in their native language. Anybody else who speaks English is going to understand them, and that's going to be a large amount of players at the top end of the game. Thus, players who speak only English have no way of talking tactics on the field without others overhearing and understanding.

Conversely, the Dutch and Dutch players at other clubs can talk in Dutch and very few on the outside will understand them. The Romanians and Romanian players at other clubs can talk in Romanian and very few on the outside will understand them. The Czechs and Czech players at other clubs can talk in Czech and very few on the outside will understand them.

Obviously this isn't quite as true with regards to Spanish or French, two very widely used languages, nor am I saying that this is the only reason England are rubbish, but it's just a factor I don't think is considered but possibly should be.

/tinhat
The English national team should learn to communicate in Esperanto. Problem solved.

They did, McCormack was top goalscorer in the Championship last season so he is a good player but £11 mill is insane! that's up there with Luiz to PSG for £50 mill as the most WTF transfer of the summer!

Imagine the wages he'll be on too, you can't pay that and not give him premier league wages.:crazy: So much for financial fair play once again.:embarrassed: Fulham are likely to go the way of Portsmouth if they continue their current path.

Sanchez looks to be rapped up soon, a stellar signing and hopefully more to come. Debuchy as well looks to be all but done.

Sharing this with you guys :)

I was 6 years old when I watched this on TV. Still one of the best goals I've ever seen.

The player is Antonio Mohamed, from Toros Neza of the Mexican 1st division. Best Argentinian player I've ever seen (IMHO of course) :cheers:

The English national team should learn to communicate in Esperanto. Problem solved.

You've still got the problem of Wayne Rooney. Until he retires, England might have better luck communicating with grunts.

DK
You've still got the problem of Wayne Rooney. Until he retires, England might have better luck communicating with grunts.
Rooney's dialect should be considered as a language of its own.

Back