2014 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

That doesn't excuse Maldonado from the fact that the driver exiting the pits has the responsibility of yielding to anyone that is coming down the track at full speed to them.

Exactly right. He proved yet again that he's a loose cannon.

I might just leave this here

NwggUp4.jpg

I don't get it.

Anyway yeah, as someone said the pace of the W05 at the end was scarily fast. Someone said the 1 lap pace isn't that fast but remember, races win points, not quali. Without any major errors I can easily see them winning every race.

Last edited:
I might just leave this here

NwggUp4.jpg

Where did you find that? I didn't get it :) And he is a pilot, given that the native language of FIA sports is French. Just pedantry :D

It was a nasty looking crash and shows a good reason why tracks should be all hard-surfaced. It's interesting that if I was going to pick three drivers to have a rollover crash in any given race I'd put both Maldonado and Guttierez on the list. :)

That was a great race. Huge win on the psychological front for Hamilton, that was Rosberg's race to win really. Ricciardo drove excellently as well.

Maldonado's incident highlights to me the danger of the lowered noses. There is no way Gutierrez would've flipped in the same situation last year.

The tires touching caused the flip, not the noses...
Tires touching?! Watch it again and you'll see Maldonado's front wing went beneath the car of Gutierrez, causing it to flip mid-air.
Tyres touching. The car flipped quite quickly, due to the two rotating tyres throwing it in the air. If it was primarily shoveled over by the nose of Maldonado, the flip would have been much slower, Guitierrez's car would have ridden up almost to the cockpit of Maldonado and Gutierrez may not have got back on his wheels. Besides, there was little damage to the front of Maldonado's car.

It was definitely the tyres. If it had been the wing/nose the lift would have been gradual as it went further under, not an instant flip as we saw. That's what happens when two rotating tyres touch.

I agree it was the tire contact. Otherwise the right rear of the Sauber probably wouldn't have had the reaction it had.

It was definitely the tyres. If it had been the wing/nose the lift would have been gradual as it went further under, not an instant flip as we saw. That's what happens when two rotating tyres touch.
If it were only the tyres, none of the cars would have went airborne, once the angle of which Maldonado's car came from would not allow it. The car flipped because Maldonado's front wing went beneath Gutierrez's car first, causing it to lift a little, and when his lifted tyre made contact with Maldonado's left-front tyre, it amplified the flipping mid-air.

If it were only the tyres, none of the cars would have went airborne, once the angle of which Maldonado's car came from would not allow it. The car flipped because Maldonado's front wing went beneath Gutierrez's car first, causing it to lift a little, and when his lifted tyre made contact with Maldonado's left-front tyre, it amplified the flipping mid-air.

Not being rude but have you see two tyres collide at speed before? What happened yesterday was a perfect example of what happens when two tyres, spinning at different velocity and angles collide.

The exact moment the tyres collide is the exact moment the Sauber violently flings into the air.

If it was more than just tires, Maldonado would have received damage from it.

I'm not aware of his car being damaged from that incident.

Not being rude but have you see two tyres collide at speed before? What happened yesterday was a perfect example of what happens when two tyres, spinning at different velocity and angles collide.

The exact moment the tyres collide is the exact moment the Sauber violently flings into the air.
Yes. I have, and I also know the theory behind physics quite well to know how it happens. It's the low wing that caused the flipping, if the wing were a little higher, Maldonado would have only rammed Gutierrez out of the track.

If it was more than just tires, Maldonado would have received damage from it.

I'm not aware of his car being damaged from that incident.
You didn't see the race then. The right corner of his front wing got slightly damaged after the incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the wing caused it why was the flip so sudden and violent? The wing went into the sidepod of the car, yes, but it didn't contribute to the lift.

If the wing caused it why was the flip so sudden and violent? The wing went into the sidepod of the car, yes, but it didn't contribute to the lift.
Because it involved his wing AND the tyre. Why aren't people understanding this!?

Because it involved his wing AND the tyre. Why aren't people understanding this!?

I'm understanding the POV, I just don't believe it to be true. Watch it in slow motion, the car is perfectly planted on the floor right up to the point the two tyres collide. That caused the flip, not the wing.

I'm understanding the POV, I just don't believe it to be true. Watch it in slow motion, the car is perfectly planted on the floor right up to the point the two tyres collide. That caused the flip, not the wing.
Well why is Maldonado's wing damaged after the crash then? 💡

Because it hit the sidepod, like I said. It didn't contribute to the flip but yes, it's a trivial point so let's leave it there.
I never said that the wing caused the flip, just that it was involved in the crash, that's all.

UnpleasantHiddenApisdorsatalaboriosa.gif

The wing is damaged because the tire had to go through the wing before it hit the other tire.

As you can see in the animation, the first lift is when the two tires hit. Then Esteban has the rotten luck of having his flipped car land on the other drive tire, whose angular momentum catapults the car back in the air.

While a higher nose might have mitigated that contact, the angle at which they hit means the nose wasn't involved much in the collision, and Gutierrez might have been flipped regardless.

I agree with people saying it was the tire contact that led to a flip. By itself that t-bone was not violent enough to do it. If not for the tyre contact they both might've been able to continue the race. Honestly, I think it's a minor mistake from Maldonado (sure, he should've been more cautious coming from the pits on cold tires) + really bad luck. Punishment he got is certainly enough, if not harsh.

Back