2014 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Didn't watch the race live as it clashed with the football so I taped it and watched it last night...WHAT A RACE!!!

6QcxFg8.jpg

vCwoMSt.jpg

1549536_699222440136949_230118822_n.jpg

Fred: Yes this is Alo, can i speak to Ron?

Great race by Hamilton, Ricciardo and Perez

Ok race by Rosberg, Vettel, Hulkenberg, Massa, Bottas, Alonso, Kimi

Honorable mention for Massa's start. It is so incredible that I honestly thought he had jumped it! :lol:

Pressure is on:

- Rosberg
- Vettel
- Hulkenberg
- Both Williams drivers
- Stefano Domenicalli
- Ron Dennis

Also:
- I pity Grosjean because of Lotus
- I pity Lotus because of Maldonado

Irrelevance:
- I watched Sky's coverage for this race and noticed the brits saying "Ricciardo" the same way they say "Riccardo" (Patrese). That's almost as funny as hearing them say "Growjean" :lol:

^^^ That's the pronunciation he uses, and he does not use the correct one. :P

Anyway, no need to argue about it, I just browsed a bit too and it seems he acknowledges to have done some "englishification" of it, but doesn't mind other people to say his name the way (as he put it) "it probably is meant to be said".

Q: (Mike Doodson - Honorary) Daniel, some of us find it intriguing that your name is written one way and you pronounce it another way. Have you considered going back to pronouncing it the way that generations of Ricciardos presumably did in the old country? After all, it could be an important factor when Ferrari comes knocking on your door in a few years time.
DR:
An interesting question. I guess that growing up in Australia, coming from an English speaking country, to try and get people to say it as the Italians would, to roll the R and give it the expression, it doesn’t really come out the same way. I will always be known as saying Riccardo and you sort of cross out the second i. In Italy - as my father is Sicilian - they will say Ricciardo or however an Italian would say it, probably. So yeah, I say Riccardo because it’s a bit easier for most people. That’s how it was but I guess the Italians are more than welcome to say it how it probably is meant to be said.

Anyway, no need to argue about it, I just browsed a bit too and it seems he acknowledges to have done some "englishification" of it, but doesn't mind other people to say his name the way (as he put it) "it probably is meant to be said".

That is a correct pronunciation that he uses, lots of names have origins in other languages, especially in nations built on immigration (like the UK, the US and Australialand). That means they can have their own linguistic interpretations of words that should "clearly" be said anowther wee.

How would you pronounce Grosjean, inciduntalleye?

Last edited:
That is a correct pronunciation that he uses, lots of names have origins in other languages, especially in nations built on immigration (like the UK, the US and Australialand). That means they can have their own linguistic interpretations of words that should "clearly" be said anowther wee.

How would you pronounce Grosjean, inciduntalleye?

I would pronounce ... Grosjean ... of course. :P

But I get you. In my language we say "Londres" to signify London. As you say "Lisbon", to signify Lisboa.

I would pronounce ... Grosjean ... of course. :P

But I get you. In my language we say "Londres" to signify London. As you say "Lisbon", to signify Lisboa.

Personally I always call it Londinium, but then my friends will tell you I'm a little old-fashioned. We simply never discuss Lisboa :D

So like I said before the race, the next guy that says Bahrain's GP is boring is going to get shot. 3rd year in a row now we see a gripping race. Matter of fact I couldn't keep up with the action. I didn't know which battle to focus on.

It's a shame the safety car screwed up Hulk's, and Nico's already messed up strategy, but I thoroughly enjoyed everything else. If only the cars were louder.

Except Rosberg wasn't. Otherwise, there would be penalties.
He wasn't fully alongside him whenever Lewis squeezed him. Lewis had track position and is entitled to use all of the track. When Nico was alongside Lewis, they both gave eachother plenty of room and respect.
NO. According to Charlie in 2012, if the attacking car manages to get its front wing alongside the car ahead's rear tyres, you're allowed a full car's width. Hamilton gave NONE. He also nearly Maldonado'd Rosberg in one of the attemps had Rosberg not lifted and steered left. I think he learned from Webber's shove last year. There weren't penalties because they're on the same team, they're not going to report themselves to the stewards and Nico rarely complains about racing incidents anyway.

NO. According to Charlie in 2012, if the attacking car manages to get its front wing alongside the car ahead's rear tyres, you're allowed a full car's width. Hamilton gave NONE. He also nearly Maldonado'd Rosberg in one of the attemps had Rosberg not lifted and steered left. I think he learned from Webber's shove last year. There weren't penalties because they're on the same team, they're not going to report themselves to the stewards and Nico rarely complains about racing incidents anyway.

I agree. Rosberg got shafted a few times. Hamilton was being astonishingly aggressive for someone fighting his teammate. I imagine Nico had a few goes, and realised that Hamilton would rather run them both off the road than let him past.

Hamilton was unlucky with the safety car and strategies, but that's racing. Rosberg deserved more room than he got.

Hamilton was unlucky with the safety car and strategies, but that's racing. Rosberg deserved more room than he got.
I haven't seen the race on tv yet, so correct me of I'm wrong. Nico was put on the slow strategy, so he can attack with the softs in the last 8-10 laps, with Hamilton on worn tyres. Right? Then the safety car came out and they were both on the softs. That, along with Hamilton ALWAYS taking the inside and shoving Nico off at every attempt, made it impossible for a pass. I don't see how the safety car hindered Hamilton. I saw the opposite.

Hamilton was on the mediums. He was counting on his mid-race cushion to give him space to hold Nico off in the last stint. Nico was counting on the soft tire advantage to get him to the finish line first. His was a slim gamble because of that cushion, and because the team realized by the middle of Nico's stint that the mediums were actually pretty quick. This is why that cushion wasn't all that big before the safety car; though part of that was because Rosberg is naturally faster in Bahrain than Lewis... has been since last year.

Hamilton could not use the same tires, since he did two straight stints on the soft.

Rosberg had a terrific chance in the last stint, sitting up Hamilton's tailpipe with better tires. He thought he would have to make up that nine second gap and then try to pass Lewis. In the end, all he had to do was pass Lewis.

As for the moves... I think that Hamilton has been before the stewards enough times to know exactly what he can and can't get away with, by this point... :lol: ...so I don't think there was much of an issue there. Hamilton was ahead and on the racing line. He's not allowed to make abnormal maneuvers that would force Nico off:

20.5 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.
And while Vettel was penalized for a similar maneuver at Monza, there's a difference between squeezing someone wide in an area where you would normally point the car straight and carrying a line out of a tight and fast corner. If Nico had been on the inside, given the vectors the cars would be running, Hamilton definitely would have received a penalty for that one.

There were similar moves there throughout the race from others, and nobody was penalized. The stewards let the fighting get intense... which is what made this race so much fun to watch. The only penalty given in any corner last weekend was for Maldonado, because he was completely off the racing line taking a vector that ended up somewhere in Canada. That one was definitely deserved.

Could Hamilton have been a little nicer or a little more careful? Definitely. But he's a ruthless son-of-a-something-or-another (just like Alonso or Vettel). Which is why he's got a World Championship under his belt and the possibility of another by the end of this season.

If Nico wants to avoid becoming Lewis' Felipe Massa, he's going to have to dig deep and find his own mean streak. Because unless you're driving the undisputed fastest car on the grid and have a team-mate older than time itself *cough* Button vs. Barrichelo *cough*, nice guys don't win F1 Championships.

I haven't seen the race on tv yet, so correct me of I'm wrong. Nico was put on the slow strategy, so he can attack with the softs in the last 8-10 laps, with Hamilton on worn tyres. Right? Then the safety car came out and they were both on the softs. That, along with Hamilton ALWAYS taking the inside and shoving Nico off at every attempt, made it impossible for a pass. I don't see how the safety car hindered Hamilton. I saw the opposite.
Lewis was on the harder tyre, thats why he got hindered by the safety car. nick would not hehe been close enough to attack without the safety car.

Well my point was the commentators are pronouncing it correctly according to the man himself. Just like Vettel told them him name rhymes with kettle.

As for the moves... I think that Hamilton has been before the stewards enough times to know exactly what he can and can't get away with, by this point... :lol: ...so I don't think there was much of an issue there. Hamilton was ahead and on the racing line.

I think it's that it's well recognised by the drivers that you do not have to leave a car's width on the exit of the corner, unless there's a wall there. If there's runoff, it is legal to run the other driver into it, even if you're side by side. The most striking example I can remember is Massa v. Grosjean at Hungary, but it's not a rare occurence.

G
Also:
- I pity Grosjean because of Lotus
- I pity Lotus because of Maldonado

And last season we where all mind-boggled how they did not take Hülkenberg as their driver. Turns out it was a good choice for Hülkenberg to not go to Lotus and secure a Mercedes powered seat.

I think it's that it's well recognised by the drivers that you do not have to leave a car's width on the exit of the corner, unless there's a wall there. If there's runoff, it is legal to run the other driver into it, even if you're side by side. The most striking example I can remember is Massa v. Grosjean at Hungary, but it's not a rare occurence.

Which is wrong, they should have to leave room, but they all know they can get away with it so they carry on doing it.

Just wanted to point out, Charlie does not make the rules.

So like I said before the race, the next guy that says Bahrain's GP is boring is going to get shot. 3rd year in a row now we see a gripping race. Matter of fact I couldn't keep up with the action. I didn't know which battle to focus on.

It's a shame the safety car screwed up Hulk's, and Nico's already messed up strategy, but I thoroughly enjoyed everything else. If only the cars were louder.

This years race is the first one I've seen that has actually been entertaining. Last years race wasn't particularly special. The 2012 race was only exciting when Kimi caught Vettel and even then there was about 4 or 5 laps to go. 2011 was cancelled and I can't really remember 2010, only that they had a good idea to use the endurance circuit. I find the GP circuit too dull.

I've forgotten just how much faster these things look in person, TV really takes that away. The sound as well was much more pronounced, and that was the V8 screams rather than these new colourful sounds we are getting in 2014.

It's pretty incredible after a very, very good race and an incredible battle between Hamilton/Rosberg it seems plenty are still trying to find faults in the battle.

Move on, if Hamilton doesn't battle Rosberg to the bitter end the battle doesn't last half as long. If you don't like hard (and fair) motor racing then maybe tennis or badminton is more your thing, eh?

It's pretty incredible after a very, very good race and an incredible battle between Hamilton/Rosberg it seems plenty are still trying to find faults in the battle.

Move on, if Hamilton doesn't battle Rosberg to the bitter end the battle doesn't last half as long. If you don't like hard (and fair) motor racing then maybe tennis or badminton is more your thing, eh?

Indeed. If neither driver had any grievances no reason for the fans to.

Back