2014 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

Abit late to the party, but that was one exciting race I've seen in F1 for a long time. Battles throughout the field including teammates, plus no team orders at the front between Hamilton and Rosberg. Was a good scrap between them two, and I think it was a great decision aswell to have the race under the lights. 👍

I've forgotten just how much faster these things look in person, TV really takes that away. The sound as well was much more pronounced, and that was the V8 screams rather than these new colourful sounds we are getting in 2014.

Was at a boxing tournament, at the anniversary for "Flash" Elorde (the Philippine's best boxer ever... until Manny came along). His son went into the ring with a Thai contender for a title bout. It was over in less than a minute. I turned my head, turned back and the guy was down with a broken cheekbone and a shiner that looked like a horse kicked him in the face.

Paid attention to every single round of every fight after that. Still missed half the punches... even the ones that are easy to see on TV. Next time the judges' scoring pisses you off, you've got to remember, they see even less of the fight than the TV audience does, which makes the fact that they're about 90% accurate an amazing feat.

Some fantastic stuff. Really drives home the point that it's a team sport, all the work the race engineers are doing during the race, both receiving and giving information to the drivers to keep the cars on the proper pace.

Also, Lewis' fake-out "I have no power" radio message gave me a chuckle, even after hearing it live.

I agree. Rosberg got shafted a few times. Hamilton was being astonishingly aggressive for someone fighting his teammate. I imagine Nico had a few goes, and realised that Hamilton would rather run them both off the road than let him past.

Hamilton was unlucky with the safety car and strategies, but that's racing. Rosberg deserved more room than he got.

LOLWUTT usually i agree with everything you say Imari but damn... some of you seem to have a short memory. If that wasn't fair what the 🤬 do you call this? Nico ran both Fred and Lewy of the track.

Karma is a 🤬 :lol:

Btw Nico had the faster tyre and DRS and he still couldn't pass Lewis. Lewis wins end of story.

Last edited:

Also, Lewis' fake-out "I have no power" radio message gave me a chuckle, even after hearing it live.

He probably didn't charge his ERS sufficiently on the safety car in-lap, Rosberg was significantly faster for a short amount of time after the safety car pulled in.

He probably didn't charge his ERS sufficiently on the safety car in-lap, Rosberg was significantly faster for a short amount of time after the safety car pulled in.
No he wasn't. For the first few laps immediately following the safety car period, Hamilton pulled away from Rosberg.

Then Rosberg caught back up and then he had a few goes and then the softs went off and he dropped back then pegged the gap at end.

No he wasn't. For the first few laps immediately following the safety car period, Hamilton pulled away from Rosberg.

Ok, I just remember Brundle saying something along the lines of what I said about a lap after the message was broadcast.

Probably because he was charging up his ERS on the straights which reduces acceleration(you can clearly see it by the engine note on engines).

LOLWUTT usually i agree with everything you say Imari but damn... some of you seem to have a short memory. If that wasn't fair what the 🤬 do you call this? Nico ran both Fred and Lewy of the track.

Karma is a 🤬 :lol:

Btw Nico had the faster tyre and DRS and he still couldn't pass Lewis. Lewis wins end of story.

It wasn't right when Nico did it then, it's not right when Lewis does it now.

Is this somehow an inconsistent position for me to take, or are you just trying to stir trouble?

Nico could have passed, but he wasn't prepared to do it at the risk of ending both Mercedes races, and Lewis was clearly willing to take that risk to defend. Nico made the right call and settled for second, but it doesn't mean I don't think that Lewis was driving over-aggressively.

It wasn't right when Nico did it then, it's not right when Lewis does it now.

Is this somehow an inconsistent position for me to take, or are you just trying to stir trouble?

Nico could have passed, but he wasn't prepared to do it at the risk of ending both Mercedes races, and Lewis was clearly willing to take that risk to defend. Nico made the right call and settled for second, but it doesn't mean I don't think that Lewis was driving over-aggressively.

They are probably both fine with it, they are hard racing duo and have done this for a long time together. I wouldn't be too worried over it and I rather see this happen then what happened last year in Malaysia.

Probably because he was charging up his ERS on the straights which reduces acceleration(you can clearly see it by the engine note on engines).

No, I'm sure that one's "hearing".

I think "seeing" would be when the light flashes. Or is that one a smell? Let me lick at my dictionary...

I think Rosberg's reaction after the race said it all - he'd had a great race and, while I'm sure he was gutted not to take the win, he and Hamilton have raced together for a long time and they know the score. They just need to keep the cars together.

Will they crash into each other during the season? They showed a lot of skill in not doing so in Bahrain, would they get away with that at Monaco or Montreal? Parp :)

Lewis has shown great judgement in the past when going wheel to wheel on a number of occasions.
One that comes to mind is with Jenson at Istanbul, after Seb and Mark had their, ....altercation.

The tires touching caused the flip, not the noses...

After seeing some replays, that is indeed correct. I am surprised Maldonado only got a five grid spot penalty to be honest, that was completely idiotic. They seem to be reducing the penalties for on-track indiscretions and increasing them for pitlane mishaps.

I hate to be seen to defend the Disastor, since he is fully responsible for his own actions, but a pit exit that dumps you out into the track at that point looks like a very bad track design feature as well.

I hate to be seen to defend the Disastor, since he is fully responsible for his own actions, but a pit exit that dumps you out into the track at that point looks like a very bad track design feature as well.

Pretty much all tracks are designed in the same way, it's up to him to safely rejoin the track and he had plenty of chance to do that. Instead he chose to come straight out and stick his nose where it wouldn't go.

Who runs the FIA?

They are bloody idiots.

Riccardo leaves pits early with a loose tire, stops no damage done=10 grid place penalty
Malfuctionardo flips a car, wrecks a car=Stop/go penalty

Who runs the FIA?

They are bloody idiots.

Riccardo leaves pits early with a loose tire, stops no damage done=10 grid place penalty+A 10 second stop go penalty
FTFY

Who runs the FIA?

They are bloody idiots.

Riccardo leaves pits early with a loose tire, stops no damage done=10 grid place penalty
You answered you own question.
Potentially dangerous error obviously deserves a harsher penalty than a bonehead decision by a repeat offender :rolleyes:

EDIT: Pastor gets 5 grid spots next race too.

Since the Webber incident last year they clamped up on the pit stops so if a car is released without the wheel properly attached it's pretty a 10 place drop straight away.

Since the Webber incident last year they clamped up on the pit stops so if a car is released without the wheel properly attached it's pretty a 10 place drop straight away.
Yeah, we have accepted that, but are struggling to understand how Pastor's dangerous actions are worth less of a penalty than RBR's potentially (ie can lead to something dangerous) dangerous error.

Yeah, we have accepted that, but are struggling to understand how Pastor's dangerous actions are worth less of a penalty than RBR's potentially (ie can lead to something dangerous) dangerous error.

You can't dish out penalties based on the outcomes of the incident, rather on what he did. Yes it was a stupid lunge move but it could have quite easily have just ended up with a spin and damage for both. You can't dish out a heavier punishment just because he happened to flip, you have to judge it on the action, not the outcome.

You can't dish out penalties based on the outcomes of the incident, rather on what he did. Yes it was a stupid lunge move but it could have quite easily have just ended up with a spin and damage for both. You can't dish out a heavier punishment just because he happened to flip, you have to judge it on the action, not the outcome.
Bollocks.

Different sport, I know, but a rugby league player in Australia just got suspended for 7 weeks for a dangerous tackle - 3 weeks for the tackle, 4 weeks for the broken neck he inflicted. If there was no injury, I think would would have missed a week.

I take it this is what the FIA use to make the decisions on penalties.
12106_big.jpg

Each number has its own penalty or penalties.

So if two cars were alongside each other, one made a tiny movement that caused the other to spin out and barrel roll down the track, you'd give them more of a penalty than if someone swerved on a straight but the other driver just spun out into a run off area?

Who runs the FIA?

They are bloody idiots.

A loose tire that could kill anybody in the pits.

Back