2014 Santander British Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow no one worked out why the grid girls had vintage looking outfits? Its 50 races at Silverstone and they were wearing 50/60s style outfits!

It's a bird, it's a plane... It's a E22!!

GMVQ7aJ.jpg

The question... who gets the drive of the day?

Alonso had a lot of scraps, but there's the question of whether his defense on Vettel was completely fair. (I'll have to watch it again) Definitely, Alonso was very rough on that defense.

Bottas had a lot of overtakes, but he has a very fast car. That Williams is Mercedes fast at this point, and nothing else can touch it. So it's natural he overtook a lot of people.

Ricciardo, Ricciardo... slow car... and yet he overtook Mercedes-powered cars on track through sheer grit and determination. And on a one-stopper brought the car home on the podium. Now that is amazing work.

Of course, it should be noted that where the guys on podium finished is representative of the respective pace of their cars... but still, Bottas and Ricciardo had to really work for their pay today.

Fantastic race, delighted for Hamilton after yesterday and the last few races, Bottas my DOTD...

Ricciardo, Ricciardo... slow car... and yet he overtook Mercedes-powered cars on track through sheer grit and determination. And on a one-stopper brought the car home on the podium. Now that is amazing work.

It's a hard one between Dan and Valtteri for me. It depends on what you like more, the extreme stint nursing, or the raw force of Bottas's offense. I'll give it to Bottas though because he just drove a perfect race and Dan had some weird moments trying to get around Hulk.

The race was pretty good, could've been better had Kimi not had that bad shunt and Rosberg didn't have a retirement, but it certainly livened up the championship, so I'll take that for sure. But I think Lewis had a good chance at getting into a real back and forth situation with Rosberg which probably would've been epic to watch.

I had Alonso as my DotD until he started overdoing his defense against Vettel and then throwing his toys out of the crib thinking Vettel should give him the position back.

Once again the FIA did warn him...not sure if your feed is transmitted through a rock or what but for a third time he was warned. Alonso was warned during his gains and overtakes going off line when racing Button. Button also reported track limits on Alonso. Alonso even got a flag warning for this, yet it didn't stop him doing it again on Button after the flag or on Vettel.

You only take issue with Vettel cause your other bias to see him and RBR be in trouble and out of the lime light. Now for what Charlie really said, he said that drivers who gain an advantage in any way either passing or gaining will be penalized, don't cherry pick.
The warning is Charlie non-sense for make happy people like you. The warning doesn't give back any position.
You actually penalize someone for cutting the track or you don't.
If you don't, than don't tell all the drivers about this warning BS since you are not going to penalize them anyway. Let them race like real men.

When Alonso closed the door Vettel started crying like a baby, if this is how he react I can't imagine what he could have done if he was racing against people like Mansell or Senna. Seriously just shut up and drive. Vettel is good driver but need to stop crying. I'm sure Lewis Hamilton would have been perfectly ok with how Alonso closed the door.

About the Drivers Trophy's, didn't they have a nice Golden one that they gave out? And not that Santander one that looks like its made out of plastic....

The warning is Charlie non-sense for make happy people like you. The warning doesn't give back any position.

Neither did the warning to Alonso what's your point? Other than trying to claim so random conspiracy crap.

You actually penalize someone for cutting the track or you don't.
If you don't, than don't tell all the drivers about this warning BS since you are not going to penalize them anyway. Let them race like real men.

I agree with this, and that's my point. No one should by crying for Vettel or Alonso to get a penalty unless they want both to get one. Because both abused the limits and both were given a free pass. Thus the FIA looks stupid for making a big media hype on this and then not delivering. They delivered in Austria and seemed to ride that to here but not do the same.

When Alonso closed the door Vettel started crying like a baby, if this is how he react I can't imagine what he could have done if he was racing against people like Mansell or Senna. Seriously just shut up and drive.

Well this isn't Mansell or Senna what do they have to do with this other than nothing, your red herring isn't needed really. Both should have seriously shut and drove, and in the end if you watched the interviews both had to laugh at themselves for realizing how stupid they sounded on live television, even if it was the heat of the moment. Why you're only acting as if one driver (one that you're documented not liking hence the continuation of bias) did this during that battle is somewhat humorous.

Alonso didn't lose sixth place thanks to Charlie Whiting's "nonsense". Off-limit warnings have been given a number of times now.

I'd rather have driver's warned first before being penalized because penalties for simple mistakes in the heat of battle would be too much. (They have to penalize it for qualifying because an invalid lap is invalid). If anybody actually benefitted excessively from not actually getting penalized for going off in this race... well... that would be Alonso.

---

As for penalizing either driver in that scenario... tough call. I think they erred on the side of: "Just let them sort it out on track"... in other words... don't interfere with the racing.

I agree with this, and that's my point. No one should by crying for Vettel or Alonso to get a penalty unless they want both to get one. Because both abused the limits and both were given a free pass. Thus the FIA looks stupid for making a big media hype on this and then not delivering. They delivered in Austria and seemed to ride that to here but not do the same.
That is my point as well.

Well this isn't Mansell or Senna what do they have to do with this other than nothing, your red herring isn't needed really. Both should have seriously shut and drove, and in the end if you watched the interviews both had to laugh at themselves for realizing how stupid they sounded on live television, even if it was the heat of the moment. Why you're only acting as if one driver (one that you're documented not liking hence the continuation of bias) did this during that battle is somewhat humorous.
The thing is Vettel do this everytime. He always call Charlie for help don't try to deny that.

Lewis on his charge past the cars between him and Nico.

Valtteri Bottas on the first stint... multiple overtakes.

Alonso overtaking Kyvat with a multi-corner feint and switch. Then taking Ricciardo as he was held up by Hulkenberg. Then taking Hulkenberg. Then Magnusson.

Ricciardo on Hulkenberg... taking several laps to finally find a way around the faster Force India.

Then there was the epic multi-lap battle between Alonso and Button.

Then there was the double feint Vettel pulled on Magnusson.

Hammer time... too bad Nico retired right before getting nailed.

Then there was the big prissy catfight between Alonso and Vettel.

-

Yup. Pretty average race, all in all. :lol:

Once Rosberg retired, them two pretty much rescued the race by themselves. Mind you, Bottas deserves an honourable mention too. After yet another weekend of terrible luck for the Williams team, he bought them some salvation; salvation from fourteenth on the grid, might I add? Although I didn't stick around to watch the podium ceremony afterwards, I hope he saved up some of the champagne. He certainly deserves to savour it.

How though, it was red flagged, we saw Alonso carve the field from the back of the grid pretty much to the top five only to be beat out by a fresher tire Vettel. You also had Bottas do the same. We had another amazing start from Hamilton and showing that he doesn't need a front row grid spot to be in the top two spots. Then we saw him catching his team mate and it would have only been more fun if Rosberg didn't break down.

It wasn't average, much of last year was average this is above average, but I agree not completely great or amazing.

Maybe the red flag put a damp on it, I would still say it was a good race at best, race of the year? Nah

That is my point as well.

Yeah I got that from the last quote that I just quoted...

The thing is Vettel do this everytime. He always call Charlie for help don't try to deny that.

Well I don't know what you're talking about, since this is the first time this year really I've seen either drive whine. I've seen both do it in the past, but I wont agree with you. For two reasons, one I don't really know and two I doubt you do yourself. This is just an attempt to paint Vettel as an annoying undeserved 4 time WDC among other things to you.

Maybe the red flag put a damp on it, I would still say it was a good race at best, race of the year? Nah

Which I agreed with if you saw my post.

Yes, Vettel is such a spoiled brat this year. See the races where he blocked his team-mate after being ordered to let him past?

Uh... oh, yeah... he didn't. :D

Yes, Vettel is such a spoiled brat this year. See the races where he blocked his team-mate after being ordered to let him past?

Uh... oh, yeah... he didn't. :D

Wrong Niky he only blocked because he's a spoiled brat that didn't want to listen. Come on you have to let HKS have both ways on the subject of how Vettel is a spoiled brat. :sly:

Yeah I got that from the last quote that I just quoted...

Well I don't know what you're talking about, since this is the first time this year really I've seen either drive whine. I've seen both do it in the past, but I wont agree with you. For two reasons, one I don't really know and two I doubt you do yourself. This is just an attempt to paint Vettel as an annoying undeserved 4 time WDC among other things to you.

Which I agreed with if you saw my post.

Yeah sort of replied to everyone with one post :lol:

Alonso didn't lose sixth place thanks to Charlie Whiting's "nonsense". Off-limit warnings have been given a number of times now.
Would have been better to close an eye in those turns where the inertia of the car lead the car to go out with 4 tyres. Allow everyone to do this and let them race like real men instead of causing the lamest and childish chit chat radio talk on F1 I've ever heard.

Last year (or two years ago) he called a colleague "watermelon" for causing an incident where was more Vettel fault than "watermelon" fault. :) He also complain a lot because he know he can get an advantage from all this complaining.

Would have been better to close an eye in those turns where the inertia of the car lead the car to go out with 4 tyres. Allow everyone to do this and let them race like real men instead of causing the lamest and childish chit chat radio talk on F1 I've ever heard.
taming inertia is racing. But yea warnings are silly. Should probably gravel or grass it up like someone on sky suggested.

Even though Kimi Raikkonen had crashed out and was hurt right at the beginning was a real shame, and Rosberg being forced to retire due to a failed gearbox, and some bitching from a 4-time world champion and supposedly professional driver, it was a fantastic race. Great battle between between Vettel and Alonso too. 👍

With Bo77as finishing 3rd in Austria, and 2nd today, could that be a sign that his first victory in F1 is near? I certainly hope so.

Marcus Ericsson's retirement had gone completely unnoticed, I only learned that after the race.

The teams aren't packing stuff away because there is a test there tomorrow..

Last year (or two years ago) he called a colleague "watermelon" for causing an incident where was more Vettel fault than "watermelon" fault. :) He also complain a lot because he know he can get an advantage from all this complaining.

...Okay, so other than that you really don't have proof. Look you hate Vettel good for you, stop pushing your biased view on the rest of, damn.

Maybe not the race as a whole, but some of those battles qualify for best battles of the year. Classic stuff between Button and Alonso there... then Alonso had to go all ape-dookie when shutting the door on Vettel.

Some of the strategic overtakes both drivers lined up were very praiseworthy... I think more memorable, actually, than the easier overtakes Bottas had. (though Bottas had an epic drive)

Maybe not the race as a whole, but some of those battles qualify for best battles of the year. Classic stuff between Button and Alonso there... then Alonso had to go all ape-dookie when shutting the door on Vettel.

Some of the strategic overtakes both drivers lined up were very praiseworthy... I think more memorable, actually, than the easier overtakes Bottas had. (though Bottas had an epic drive)

Agree with that, that Vettel-Alonso scrap is one of the best dog fights I've seen. Button and Alonso was stunning as well.

I'd give drive of the day to Alonso to be honest, Bottas still had the 2nd best car out there, Alonso's only stupid move was during the restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back