2014 Santander British Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
The teams aren't packing stuff away because there is a test there tomorrow..

Pirelli is testing 18" wheels on the lotus as well, I really rather see 15's or 16's myself with big tyres but the rules are really spoiling the sport now , I don't know how long I can keep watching F1 this year has been so lack lustre and boring if I going to be truthful... Soon as Bernie leaves the better the tax dogging smurf

Great race overall, shame about Rosberg but apparently there is some truth to Alonso's theory that luck evens out during a season. We'll see.

DOTD definitely Alonso, I do think there's just nobody in the entire field with that racecraft level. Honorable mentions to Bottas (he does know how to overtake) and to Ricciardo, for managing his quiet race with an underdog of a car to allow him a podium. More than outstanding, it borders on the unbelievable.

PS - Did anyone notice the Mercedes guy in the pre-podium room congratulating Ricciardo? He said something about Pirelli owing to Ricciardo the proof that their tyres lasted for an unbelievable number of laps. Very funny.

And yet, many drivers have been killed due to poorly installed barriers. See my avatar for just one example.

And these are the barriers jackie Stewart and lauder got removed with safer ones ... If I remember right jochen was under the old type that were virtually chest/head height.. Similar to the barriers on UK roads.

A lough if I am honest lauda did flip a little but I just think its frustration of battling these regulations constantly for decades he has little patience for them that is very clear, he just want to see the fire breathing racing that he enjoyed in his day , and so would I :)

Pirelli is testing 18" wheels on the lotus as well, I really rather see 15's or 16's myself with big tyres but the rules are really spoiling the sport now , I don't know how long I can keep watching F1 this year has been so lack lustre and boring if I going to be truthful... Soon as Bernie leaves the better the tax dogging smurf

It's been no more boring than any other year, so I think you're watching the wrong sport :lol:

As for today's race, was really good fun to watch, some great overtakes around the outside, which is what I love about Silverstone, a couple ruined by overly aggressive defending into Brooklands, but I'm not going into that because last time it happened at Bahrain no one cared :P On top of that you had a complete mix of strategies, or at least it seemed that way to me because I lost track of when everyone had pitted, which meant I had no idea where anyone actually was until the last 10 laps, which made it more interesting :)

Nico's gearbox failed at the first warm-up lap initially, got back, then started slowly failing again after his pit stop. That's why it seemed like Hamilton was faster on the primes. We'll never know if Hamilton could've caught up. At least the fanboys can shut up now, since it's all even with mechanical issues.

Bottas did great, then again he had a tier 2 car to the others' tier 3 cars.

Alonso was going off line a lot, got warned, did it again against Vettel ultimately prompting the latter to start taking liberties as well. Alonso's moves at Brooklands were far off. He tends to get really dirty when threatened. Sad.

Stars of the race to me were Button and Ricciardo.

edit

Kobayashi's fastest lap is only 8 tenths faster than GP2's. Forget tier 4.

Nico's gearbox failed at the first warm-up lap initially, got back, then started slowly failing again after his pit stop. That's why it seemed like Hamilton was faster on the primes. We'll never know if Hamilton could've caught up. At least the fanboys can shut up now, since it's all even with mechanical issues.

Bottas did great, then again he had a tier 2 car to the others' tier 3 cars.

Alonso was going off line a lot, got warned, did it again against Vettel ultimately prompting the latter to start taking liberties as well. Alonso's moves at Brooklands were far off. He tends to get really dirty when threatened. Sad.

Stars of the race to me were Button and Ricciardo.

edit

Kobayashi's fastest lap is only 8 tenths faster than GP2's. Forget tier 4.

I agree with most of what you said here, but the part where Nico's gearbox failure made him slower isn't true at all. Since the issue popped up then and there more so than a chronic issue that was being nursed all race as you claim. We've seen chronic issues this year from MGP and this wasn't one of them. This was an acute failure and looked more to do with the electronics than anything but we have to wait and see on that front.

Now I say this because I've looked at the FIA released times, and it shows Nico as third overall fastest of the race and doing so on lap 26. This means we can deduce that even the quite fast RBRs and Single Williams couldn't get to that time even with less fuel and somewhat fresh tires after Nico was gone. Vettel was the only one to pull a faster lap then Nico (other than obviously Lewis being the fastest) and did this on the final lap. Futhermore, Nico's lap times up to the incident show the same consistency and quickness as in his first stint and were faster than everyone other than the quicker Hamilton. If this was a chronic issue from the start of the race as you've suggested this shouldn't have been possible especially when he set his fastest time of the race two laps prior to the car expiring.

In reality Lewis had a better first stint than his team mate and also what looked to be a better second stint. I agree we'll never know if he could have passed him but he was on the move to catch him for sure. Also the last thing I don't agree with is the equalization. Lewis has had two DNFs and Nico only one, and really I wouldn't want to see this championship marred by who had the least DNFs. Unless Canada is equal to you? If so that's fine I rather not rehash that GP since you're the reason that thread was closed.

*Some actual facts*

There's little point in posting facts when they will just be ignored. I will find it refreshing if I can come into an F1 thread without BHRxRacer showing some bias or being a hater. Otherwise next time, he'll be the very first person I feel the need to set to ignore on any forum I've ever been on.

There's little point in posting facts when they will just be ignored. I will find it refreshing if I can come into an F1 thread without BHRxRacer showing some bias or being a hater. Otherwise next time, he'll be the very first person I feel the need to set to ignore on any forum I've ever been on.

You'd think I'd know this by now since I've probably (next to @niky and @prisonermonkeys) had the most arguments with said user. I guess my tendency to prove a point took precedence over reason, thanks for setting me right 👍.

f-hamgold53b9d6980016f143.jpg

The gold one. Hamilton said in the interview why don't they make trophies like this anymore.

Lewis admitted he learned a lesson this weekend. Hopefully he can really push now.

Everyone had their knives out yesterday, questioning Hamilton's judgement ...

Even Hamilton admitted he screwed up, so the negative comments were in order.

Exactly

No, the negative comments were little more than shots from the clock tower. It's always the same story - the one thing the British people like more than a British success story is a failure. If Hamilton had stuck to that lap and missed pole by a thousandth of a second, he'd still be subject to the same level of vitriol. Admitting to his mistake just makes the critics feel less guilty, or worse, satisfied.

Hope you're not tarring me with this brush. Some of your replies are quite odd.

I stayed up to watch the race:mischievous:
But it was interesting, and I'm surprised that Ricciardo lasted 37 laps on the medium compound.

Was a great race, great podium, nice to see Lewis win his home race, though I'm not a huge supporter I do still feel glad for him. Was really rooting for Button to be on the podium as well, but I guess he just didn't have the car to do so. Great drive from Bottas and glad to see him up there! Happy for Williams! Also, awesome to see Ricciardo get third, gotta love Ricciardo! :D

Good to hear that Kimi is ok as well after the pretty big impact at the start. Though of course I agree with Lauda about the red flag, I mean 1 hour to repair a bit of barrier is a bit ridiculous....but never mind. A great race.

A lough if I am honest lauda did flip a little but I just think its frustration of battling these regulations constantly for decades he has little patience for them that is very clear, he just want to see the fire breathing racing that he enjoyed in his day , and so would I :)
It is nice that Niki Lauda will come out and actually say what he is thinking, whether you agree or not. I partially agreed with what he had to say - an hour seemed excessive to fix the barrier, but it probably had to be done before the FIA/Charlie would let them race again.
Since Kimi hit that spot once, the chances of it happening again, while infinitesimally small, are above zero. Having said that, how much was the integrity of that barrier compromised by having a dent in it? It wasn't a tyre barrier torn away exposing concrete, and there was another fence right behind it anyway.

-----

Pretty much all of the trophies that lend their design to the race sponsor are as ugly as sin. The fact that this one seemed to have been made of 'marital aid' rubber didn't help any.

Having said that, how much was the integrity of that barrier compromised by having a dent in it?
F1-barrier.jpg

If another car had hit the same spot at similar speeds/angle, I think the nose of the car may have pierced the barrier. Of course the chances are slim and in hindsight repairing the barrier was unnecessary, but taking that risk was also unnecessary. They had time to repair the barrier and could have taken an extra 1.5 hours before the race was in danger of not going full distance.

They needed to fix the barrier however the time taken was too long, 20 mins tops.
You do realise that these are segments of safety fencing that are designed to withstand the impact of a Formula 1 car pulling over forty-five times the force of gravity, right? Because that's exactly what Räikkönen did, and the barrier stayed in one piece. As a result, they're quite difficult to get apart. Any weaker, and Räikkönen could have gone straight through it, up over the hill behind it, across the circuit access road that crosses the circuit there (and which buses frequently use), and into the support paddock. All while airborne.

I'm sure the system could have been designed so that segments could be replaced in "twenty minutes, tops". But then you'd be in here complaining about safety standards and questioning why the barriers separated in the aftermath of the dead Ferrari driver. I know that sounds flippant, but a separating armco barrier is what killed Jochen Rindt.

It was a contest piece http://www.santanderchallenge.com/disenios.php

This was the submission i believe:
http://www.santanderchallenge.com/disenio.php?codigo=l5Sd

Would have been a nice trophy if someone in account didnt decide " I know! I'll make it myself! With glue! And markers!"
The image of the contest submission looks much better than what the drivers ended up getting, but still doesn't hide the fact that the design was still very much dictated by the sponsor logo.

I think making it from metal instead of papier-mâché would have been better. One gold one silver and one, you guessed it, bronze.

@BHRxRacer Nico said himself that he started having gearbox issues after the first pit, he was complaining at the start about his clutch not the gearbox and Hamilton said he was saving his tyres at first after fighting his way through but then he started pulling back a few tenths a lap before Nico pitted. Hamilton was much faster on the hard than he had been on the medium tyre so the strategy would have probably won him the race if his speed alone wasn't enough to close and pass Nico.

...Okay, so other than that you really don't have proof. Look you hate Vettel good for you, stop pushing your biased view on the rest of, damn.
- Vettel complained obstruction (firm but fair) by Alonso.
- Alonso complained of the continual encroachments (illegal) of track by Vettel.
When Vettel passed Alonso went out of the track and he should had to return position. In addition it should be noted that Vettel had boundless even in the previous curve (curve Arena).
Moral of the story is, Vettel is so strong that with a clearly superior car and fresher tires he had to make illegal maneuvers in order to pass Alonso. Oh and do not tell me Ricciardo beat Vettel again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back