2015 F1 Mechanics/Aero; Design predictions to win the WCC/WDC. READ FIRST POST

And by engine manufacturer, I include McLaren being Honda's works team as well. It has been a very tough year, but I think all involved still maintain it is the right reason since they could only ever be the second best F1 team if they remained a Mercedes customer.

Because it previously mentions that Hulkenberg and Rosberg have already taken their 4th engines for the season.

Because it previously mentions that Hulkenberg and Rosberg have already taken their 4th engines for the season.

Ah yes I missed that and read it as Nico Rosberg twice, thanks. So Lewis is the only one that is using the Phase 4, which I think was mentioned post Japan GP.

I thought Nico Rosberg was using the phase 4 as well? I know his 3rd engine (phase 4) was the one that failed at Monza and as a precaution it will not be raced. I believed it was replaced in Singapore with the updated engine as well though.

I thought Nico Rosberg was using the phase 4 as well? I know his 3rd engine (phase 4) was the one that failed at Monza and as a precaution it will not be raced. I believed it was replaced in Singapore with the updated engine as well though.

I don't know if they ever got around to refreshing it, I'll have to look it up. I know in Monza it had a water lead that damaged it and then he had to use a very old last leg prior version 2015 engine (the one that blew up in the race). However, after that I remember them electing to not run it in Singapore with him.

EDIT: Ah found something that said he ran it in Japan, so he should have it as well.

David Croft has an interesting theory: that Ferrari can't supply Red Bull with the 2016 engines because they have a contract with Sauber or Haas that guarantees them number one status among customers.

Michael Schmidt of Auto Motor und Sport is reporting that Ferrari will supply Toro Rosso, but not Red Bull, leading to speculation that Renault could purchase Red Bull instead of Lotus.

According to James Allen, they've offered engines to Toro Rosso, but elected not to supply Red Bull - and they justify it as needing serious infrastructure changes to supply everyone; changes that they think are not feasible.

Can believe that. They went from supplying Sauber and Manor-Marussia this year, to being prepared to supply Haas. Manor-Marussia is switching to Mercedes so that would mean Ferrari could supply another team without adjusting anything else.

Did they take the engines away completely?

Although Autosport says they're in talks with Renault again for 2016 engine supply.

Can believe that. They went from supplying Sauber and Manor-Marussia this year, to being prepared to supply Haas. Manor-Marussia is switching to Mercedes so that would mean Ferrari could supply another team without adjusting anything else.
Except that they're supposedly prepared to supply Toro Rosso, which would bring them up to the four teams that they're willing to supply.

It looks like brinkmanship - they're calling Red Bull's bluff. It's a pretty clear message that they won't let Red Bull hold the sport hostage, and that they will be the ones to decide who they supply engines to.

Red Bull have completely screwed this up. It's bad enough that they publicly condemned Renault at every opportunity, but to sever ties without a backup plan and then try to leverage the future of the sport against their own over-stated sense of self-importance? The last team to mangle a situation this badly was USF1.

And next year, Renault's power plant is the most powerful and most reliable plant on the grid.
But the contract isn't renewed for 2017.

:lol:

I'm sure sulking back to Renault with their tail between their legs for an engine deal would be drastically cheaper than the price it would cost them to leave the sport.
There has been the suggestion that Renault could buy Red Bull, keeping Red Bull as a sponsor and opening up the historical payment that Renault wanted. It would nean Lotus dies, but I don't think many people would care.

It's sad to see a team that's managed a podium finish this season vanish from the grid. I think the last time that happened was Onyx in 1989.

Did they take the engines away completely?

Although Autosport says they're in talks with Renault again for 2016 engine supply.

They're going to run on pure spite and anger collected from their non WDC/WWC winning seasons. So this year and last year. Which is good for an estimated 590 kW of power.

Sky say that the Renault contract still stands until 2017. I'm not sure how palatable a deal that would be for anyone but the possibility of a Renault engine remains.

Yes that I knew during that post and now, contracts aren't lasting especially in this business as we've found out...unless the CVC is involved. However, I'm sure they'll come out and say "yeah well we had to stay cause of the contract, but uh they better get their stuff together" just to keep the tough guy act. Also I'm obviously not the only one here who thought RBR had cut ties with Renault....the F1 grid thought so and they even claimed it. The post you've quoted me in is awkward to me is all.

Last edited:
Starting to get that feeling
What, do you think there's a conspiracy to muscle Red Bull out of the sport?

No, they're just behaving like spoiled children. I would much rather see them out of the sport than to have the sport give into their demands. No one team is so important that they are entitled to hold the sport hostage because they are not getting their way. Not even Ferrari (and they have tried this several times). Red Bull - and Red Bull alone - have been the architects of their own predicament. They have no-one to blame but themselves.

What, do you think there's a conspiracy to muscle Red Bull out of the sport?

No, they're just behaving like spoiled children. I would much rather see them out of the sport than to have the sport give into their demands. No one team is so important that they are entitled to hold the sport hostage because they are not getting their way. Not even Ferrari (and they have tried this several times). Red Bull - and Red Bull alone - have been the architects of their own predicament. They have no-one to blame but themselves.

Uh no, I'm starting to get that feeling that they're going to point their finger at every person possible, because they didn't like the hand dealt to them this season.

Sky say that the Renault contract still stands until 2017. I'm not sure how palatable a deal that would be for anyone but the possibility of a Renault engine remains.
Given Red Bull's treatment of Renault, any deal is going to involve a very large serve of humble pie.

Red Bull should know that their fortunes can and do fluctuate; the same goes for everyone else. Their position at the front of the field is neither guaranteed nor their right.

Red Bull should know that their fortunes can and do fluctuate; the same goes for everyone else. Their position at the front of the field is neither guaranteed nor their right.

It is, because it just is. Anything else is unfair/cheating/F1-hates-them and they're taking their ball and going home. They've been unable to make it their ball though. I'd hate to see two teams leave F1 but after a(nother) year of listening to them whinging I'm thinking it could be for the best.

Back