2015 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore GP

Seems like a setup issue. We may be seeing Merc trying something strange, this isn't typical sandbagging.

If neither car manages to get on the first row it'll be pretty interesting.

I'm expecting the Mercedes to at least get into the 1:44's. If not then they are seriously having issues at this track this year.

It is possible they're trying something new for this weekend. They have such a massive gap in the WCC that they can afford to throw away a weekend as a test session for next year.

They have been fastest to fastest by a country mile in every qualifying session this year, to all of a sudden be a second slower at a track which isn't extremely different to the circuits we've been to so far suggests they have the power turned down especially with rumours in Monza suggesting they'd actually made quite a step forward in power. Maybe they are struggling to get the tyres in "the window" with the tyre pressure changes and will have to make some changes to the design of the cars.

Rossi, Stevens, Maldonado, Ericsson and Nasr out in Q1.

Kyvat topped the times by 4 tenths over Hamilton.

-
Button, Sainz, Perez, Alonso and Hulkenberg all out in Q2.

Vettel topped the time sheets with an impressive lap, this time round.

Last edited:
Looks like the Mercs are having a genuine struggle to find that pace. I think we'll be looking at a Ferrari - Red Bull duell now in Q3.

Williams just about release Bottas out of the garage and into the side of Ricciardo. Yikes.

Vettel takes pole by half a second over Ricciardo! 1.43.885! Mercs in 5th and 6th. This should be a great race.

Wow, can I assume that this proves Ferrari and Red Bull actually have the better car than Mercedes? (aside from engine power of course)

or maybe even better drivers?

First non-Mercedes powered pole position since the introduction of turbo engines if I'm not wrong. Quite an achievement both from Mercedes for the streak and for Ferrari to finally beat them.

It's surprising how much Mercedes have struggled here. Last year they were just as dominant in Singapore as they were anywhere else, and their FP1 pace seemed to suggest it would be the same story again. They were quickest in Monaco and Canada too, so this is just baffling! :odd:

Shocking performance shown by Mercedes so far in Free Practice and Qualifying. Hopefully they figure out why they were so slow. Good lap by Sebastian, think it would have been closer if Daniel got better first and second sector though but he did seem out of reach with that lap.

Shocking performance shown by Mercedes so far in Free Practice and Qualifying. Hopefully they figure out why they were so slow. Good lap by Sebastian, think it would have been closer if Daniel got better first and second sector though but he did seem out of reach with that lap.

Both Toto Wolff and Lauda said that they're not going to just find 1,4 seconds a lap over night. A potential victory or podium finish will come by undercutting in the pits. Assuming those in front don't wipe out each other.

This reminds me a bit of 2013, where Mercedes had a great package, but couldn't manage the tires very well. Not quite the case this season, but at least for this race, it seems a bit like deja vu that managing the tires is the biggest issue at hand.

Jenson on the race tomorrow. :lol:

Jenson's interview in general. :lol:

Link to this interview???

This reminds me a bit of 2013, where Mercedes had a great package, but couldn't manage the tires very well. Not quite the case this season, but at least for this race, it seems a bit like deja vu that managing the tires is the biggest issue at hand.

Link to this interview???

Of course. I completely forgot about the effect the heat can have on the tyres. :ouch: Mind you Malaysia has the same sort of climate and Mercedes pace was not hindered there, was it? I know they had tyre issues that lost them the race but if I recall correctly that was problem caused by a strategic decision in qualifying the day before, and not the heat.

Back