2015 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix

I must say, after watching that turn one incident for a few times after having slept over it, I really lost a lot of respect there for Hamilton. Really do not remember when I saw a title less deserved. I know he has the speed and talent and is better than Rosberg, and I know Rosberg wasn't always "fair" either, but one may wonder why, when you see such actions from Hamilton, never liked his all cocky attitude. We get it, you dated Scherzinger, are cool, laid back, a party guy etc., but still. Maybe Buttons title was somewhat equally little "deserved" in the redicilous Brawn GP. At least Button seems to be a rather sympathic guy though...

Maybe Buttons title was somewhat equally little "deserved" in the redicilous Brawn GP. At least Button seems to be a rather sympathic guy...
Button's title was well deserved. He and Rubens' didn't have a seat in F1 until a few weeks out, and for them to win the Driver's title and the Constructor's title is mighty impressive. But, I will give you that he is incredibly sympathetic guy, he could just live on that one title, but he wants another one before he retires to solidify his status. And as crazy as I might sound, next year will be his best chance yet.

I expect McLaren-Honda to be a force in next year's title.

My viewpoint on the Hamilton-Rosberg soap opera is this: The turn 1 move, from a racing moral standpoint, was dirty. Had there not have been contact, fair enough. But as with Suzuka, Lewis couldn't keep it clean to make the pass, even though in this case he would have likely cleared Nico either way as the inside to T1 is just that much better than the outside. But that didn't determine the race, which to me nullifies any argument that "Lewis stole the championship". In fact, Nico led more of the race than anyone else combined. As for the hat scenario, Nico was obviously pissed and Lewis, no matter if he was trying to play around or not, made a serious mistake in messing with him. Regardless, congrats to Lewis on a third title.

As for Button, how the hell did he not deserve the 2009 title? He ran the whole season on a single chassis, and was perfectly legal, as deemed by the FIA, and he even survived without any substantial car upgrades against the likes of Red Bull, McLaren, and Ferrari. In fact, the 2007, 2008, and 2009 titles are probably the most legitimately earned titles of the past 15 years. And Button never even gloats it.

So just because he has the inside line, it's ok for Hamilton to push Rosberg off track?

If he's ahead, yes.

If they're even stevens at the apex, yes. He technically has the racing line, and the rules only forbid drivers from deviating from the line to push other drivers off the track. The stewards typically have a very liberal view of the racing line, allowing any driver with the inside to block off the outside on exit.

If the inside driver is just... just... behind the guy on the outside, as Lewis was... to be honest, I've seen the stewards give out penalties for less than that.

The legality is arguable. I could see it going either way. But it was a pretty dick move.

Also, Button, lest we forget, came in third in 2004 behind the dominant Ferraris. Sure, he wasn't as sharp as in his younger years by the time he won the championship, but I think the years spent at McLaren outscoring Lewis prove that he's no pushover. Whatever he lacks in raw speed, he more than makes up for in racecraft and brains.

It was a fantastic race, probably the best of the season. Congratulations to Lewis for his 3rd title, even though sometimes he didn't seem to show a clean performance especially during the first corner of the race but he almost didn't put a foot wrong throughout the season.

Nico might accept the turn 1 thing but Lewis tossing a cap to Nico in the waiting room? Not nice dude.. I can understand how broken Nico feels, and I feel for him. It's owkey mate, your turn will come sooner or later.

My viewpoint on the Hamilton-Rosberg soap opera is this: The turn 1 move, from a racing moral standpoint, was dirty. Had there not have been contact, fair enough.

Some might say that particular seed was sown when Rosberg ran his wing into Hamilton's wheel...

Some might say that particular seed was sown when Rosberg ran his wing into Hamilton's wheel...

I think it started well before then. It's specifically a Hamilton/Rosberg thing though. I don't recall Hamilton pulling that move on Button or Alonso when they where his teammates for example. He's decided Rosberg is a push over so he'll push him whenever he can.

Anyway, it's for the team to sort out. Clearly they haven't done that.

I'm just waiting for the day when Rosberg has had enough of Hamilton's pointy elbow tactics and the red mist takes over. One day he'll decide he's had enough an they'll both end in the barriers.

I think it started well before then. It's specifically a Hamilton/Rosberg thing though. I don't recall Hamilton pulling that move on Button or Alonso when they where his teammates for example. He's decided Rosberg is a push over so he'll push him whenever he can.

Well, he did say he'd put Alonso in the wall if he tried a particular overtaking manouvere again when they were team mates (at Spa IIRC), though that was when he was going through his "God is on my side" and "No-one can overtake me on the outside" phase...

I sometimes wonder if it's because he's British. The sport has close ties to Britain, and I sometimes feel that there is an attitude that because of it, the sport owes Britain something. Remember when Kravitz and Croft were analysing potential driver moves a few races ago? Kravitz was mortified at the possibility of "only two Brits on the grid". Both of them - Hamilton and Button - are World Champions, but somehow that's not good enough.

I think Mercedes support both drivers - and I expect that behind the scenes Hamilton and Rosberg are as bad as each other. The difference is that Hamilton seems to have conquered pressure whilst in the car, Rosberg's frantic and squeaky radio transmissions suggest to me that he hasn't.

Does British Sky coverage favour Brits? I think it often does. Is Kravitz an utter prat? Oohhh yes.

The BBC's coverage is generally better (when Coulthard stops prattling). There's bound to be some British bias to the sport with it having begun here, with the great majority of factories sitting in the same small area of the country and with our innate sense of Imperial entitlement ( :D ), I think the BBC handle that better overall though. Remember that Sky's team consist of Ted "Are You Gonna Go a-Way" Kravitz, Brundle (former-president-of-BRDC), Pinkney (landed gentry), Herbert (plucky Brit underdog) and the only-son-of-a-champion-to-be-champion Damon Hill. Most of those people have offices at Silverstone so their bias to the track and the home country are inevitable.

Of course the British commentators are biased towards seeing more Brits on track. @prisonermonkeys has been known to moan endlessly about the Australian studio guys and their worship of any Aussies on grid. Anyone else here who watches the Dutch Sport1 coverage can back me up on how much time they bang on about Max. Everything that happens on track is compared to how Max is doing. They didn't go to the post race press conference last night so that the studio could interview Jos over the phone. These are the only 3 countries I have seen the commentary from, but I am sure the Mexican, Brazilian, Finnish.... coverage is simillarly biased to the local guys.

By the way, this is not trying to defend the douchiness of any reporters, just saying that it isn't unique to the BBC or Sky.

I'm just waiting for the day when Rosberg has had enough of Hamilton's pointy elbow tactics and the red mist takes over.

So like Spa 2014 then? :sly:

This whole hat tossing debate and scolding a driver for doing what literally every other racing driver has done over time seems utterly ridiculous to me. Some of you guys and others out there really do look for the smallest, pettiest things to justify your agendas, while forgetting how almost everyone has done the same things [or worse] in the past. Should you be applying equal logic and emotions to everyone else, you would have have a hard time finding anybody to support and spend your time dragging most of the grid over hot coals. Drivers are aggressive, they make mistakes, they push their luck and the rules, everyone wants to be the winner, its called racing.

But people getting all screwy over a driver passing a hat and calling it "spiteful", "douchey", "disrespectful" etc, come on now.

BBC wound me up, And they keep doing this to, I think its the forth time now
BBC only had highlight rights to this race and it was shown at 10:30pm right after the news
where some dope thought it was ok to just blurt out lewis was world champ, I avoided radio news and forums most of the day only to be told 2 minutes before the highlights started :ouch:
football scores get the "please look away now if you don't want to know the results" warning

BBC wound me up, And they keep doing this to, I think its the forth time now
BBC only had highlight rights to this race and it was shown at 10:30pm right after the news
where some dope thought it was ok to just blurt out lewis was world champ, I avoided radio news and forums most of the day only to be told 2 minutes before the highlights started :ouch:
football scores get the "please look away now if you don't want to know the results" warning

This was what exactly happened to me! The BBC should have the good sense to know that the highlights are right after the news and not blurt out that he won the championship in the opening headlines. I had avoided news all day! Yeah football seems to get much more respect in regards to this.

I've watched the T1 move a couple times now...and I really can't see what all the fuss is about. F1 fans are going soft me thinks.

Was it aggressive? Yes. What is completely clean? No. Did he block Nico's line? Yes. Was it legal? YES!!!!!

I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all, as most on this forum know a lot more about F1 than I do...but I think a lot of people's take on what is is a legal/clean pass leans more towards gentlemanly racing. F1 is NOT gentleman driving. Yes, you have to leave racing room....however, if two cars are side by side, the car on the inside controls the apex and thus the corner. Once the driver controls the corner, he no longer has to yield to anyone around him. The guy off the racing line must yield. Rosberg was on a line that was going no where. It is not Lewis's responsibily to leave a line for Nico.

In gentleman racing, block passing is not legal. In non-gentleman racing, block passing is completely legal.

It's not any different than T2 in Malaysia. Guys go outside through T1, but then get pinched off on the inside of 2. There is no obligation for anyone to leave them room. If they do not have the line to get to the T2 apex first, then they are not in control of the corner and must yield. No one is obligated to leave space.

I think the situation shows Nico's lack of racecraft to be honest. He got a poor start. He probably went into panic mode, and decided he needed to hold the outside line. He should know better than anyone that Lewis would try to block his exit. I think he was in desperation mode going up the hill, and decided a move into T2 was his only way to retake the lead. He should have A. got a better start, and B, should have tried to cut under Lewis instead of going around him (easier said than done I know, but that's my take).

In competative sports, if you want to win, never put yourself in a position where your biggest rival needs to gift you anything in order to have success.

and B, should have tried to cut under Lewis instead of going around him (easier said than done I know, but that's my take)

Not sure the cutback would have worked so well, going round the outside (assuming he had space) was a wider line, which meant he could get on the power sooner and be on the inside for the next corner, the guys on the outside seemed to get the better run off the corner. But yeah, it was pretty silly to assume he'd have space.

I think contact was his problem and not the overtake itself.
I always like to watch how Button and Kimi (most of the time) overtake. They always leave just enough space.
Also Rosbergs overtake was quite nice.

Not sure the cutback would have worked so well, going round the outside (assuming he had space) was a wider line, which meant he could get on the power sooner and be on the inside for the next corner, the guys on the outside seemed to get the better run off the corner. But yeah, it was pretty silly to assume he'd have space.
I 100% agree with you. I'm willing to be Lewis would 100% agree as well, which is exactly why he did what he did. There was no way in hell Lewis was simply going to gift Nico the inside line into T2.

Every single driver on that grid has more than enough experience to know that at COTA, lap 1, T1, taking the outside through 1 to get the inside at 2 is the basic overtaking move in that situation. It's racecraft 101....which is exactly why Lewis protected it.

Again, in my comfy armchair, it's easy to say he should have made the cut back. Maybe it would have worked, maybe not. But I think it would have been better than making the racecraft-101-drawn-up-in-the-classroom move that everyone was expecting, and which would have required his biggest rival to gift him space.

I think that the Rosberg-Hamilton situation is heading it's way to end up like the Vettel-Webber deal. Same first and Second year as Webber and Rosberg lost the championship the first and it went downhill. I also think Nico was angry about being pushed wide by his teammate twice in the first turn and with Today's cars making so much dirty air its really hard to get those positions back.

I think that the Rosberg-Hamilton situation is heading it's way to end up like the Vettel-Webber deal. Same first and Second year as Webber and Rosberg lost the championship the first and it went downhill. I also think Nico was angry about being pushed wide by his teammate twice in the first turn and with Today's cars making so much dirty air its really hard to get those positions back.
It's always dangerous when you have two amazing drivers...either goes really well or very very badly.

Was it legal? YES!!!!!

Debatable, last I checked intentionally going offline to run another driver off track that you're not even infront of was against the rules.

Also it shows a fair amount of ignorance with regard to racecraft (and quite ironic considering you said it shows Rosberg's lack of racecraft) to suggest the cut back would have been the better choice. The track was still damp, therefore the grippiest part of the circuit was the outside line, making it the best chance for him to stay ahead, and if he had cut to the inside he would of had much less grip and very little traction, especially where it's a tighter line. Secondly it's very risky to attempt a cut back at T1 on the first lap, because it's hard to tell who else is on the inside line following Hamilton, 9 times out of 10 someone will be right up behind him, and you'll just cut their nose off.

It's also quite ignorant to say that a driver has the "racing line" simply because they're on the inside. It's not automatically the better line, especially in the wet, and it most definitely does not entitle you to use the entire circuit regardless of whos alongside you. And if they updated the rules so that drivers had to give each other enough room to stay on track, it would make the racing cleaner and more exciting as it would open more possibilities. I'm glad to say that most of the time the drivers do give each other space, which is why we saw some really great overtakes around the outside of corners this race, it's just disappointing when the decide to lean on these technically legal, but dirty tactics to get ahead.

I won't get into all the nonsense about "gentleman racing", as I have no idea what series you're talking about that uses such a vague concept to dictate legal racing. At the end of the day, race series have rules, and the drivers race to the limit of the rules, so why you would think anyone would decide whether a move was legal based on anything other than the rules I have no idea.

Ouch.

image.jpeg

Also it shows a fair amount of ignorance with regard to racecraft (and quite ironic considering you said it shows Rosberg's lack of racecraft) to suggest the cut back would have been the better choice. The track was still damp, therefore the grippiest part of the circuit was the outside line, making it the best chance for him to stay ahead, and if he had cut to the inside he would of had much less grip and very little traction, especially where it's a tighter line.
I'm repeating myself now...but you just clearly explained exactly why Lewis would make the move he did, and why Nico should have anticipated that Lewis would do what he did, and taken action accordingly. Nico put himself exactly where Lewis wanted him. That to me shows a lack of racecraft.

In order to make a move on the outside work, Nico should have brsked later and gone out way to the right, rotated the car quickly, and then straight line launched out of the corner. If you watch the replay, Kvyat did exactly that...and it got him into 3rd.

Like I said before, I'm coming at this in hindsight from my armchair, so it's easy to play the shoulda woulda coulda game. That said, playing the game, I think Nico should have tried the cutback, or gone deeper and farther right before turning, as opposed to what he did, which is place his car where it gave Lewis a chance to block him.

And you can get off your high horse with all that calling me ignorant BS.

It's also quite ignorant to say that a driver has the "racing line" simply because they're on the inside. It's not automatically the better line, especially in the wet, and it most definitely does not entitle you to use the entire circuit regardless of whos alongside you.
In that particular corner, at the angles at which they approached, Lewis had the racing the line and control of the corner. There is no rule which says a driver who controls the corner must yield to a driver who is not on the line.

Also, weather conditions in no way shape or form change the racing line. The racing line is the racing line. If a driver decides to venture off the line to search for grip, it is their choice. That's the whole trade-off in the wet. You sacrifice the line for grip...but the line itself does not move.

And if they updated the rules so that drivers had to give each other enough room to stay on track, it would make the racing cleaner and more exciting as it would open more possibilities. I'm glad to say that most of the time the drivers do give each other space, which is why we saw some really great overtakes around the outside of corners this race, it's just disappointing when the decide to lean on these technically legal, but dirty tactics to get ahead.
To me this sums up the awkwardness of your arguement.

You admit that the move was legal within today's rule set. I understand that you may not like the rules, and that you may want to see them changed, but that doesn't have any impact on the "legality" of the move. And it certainly doesn't give you the right to call me ignorant for sharing my opinion on what took place.

There is already so much precedent within F1 alone that should make this move a complete non issue. Check Schumacher vs Montoya at Imola in 05 or 06. Montoya was much farther along side and still got run off the road. JPM called Schumacher "blind or stupid" afterwards, but then immediatly shrugged it off, saying, "But hey, that's racing."

Here's a fun fact comparing the two situations. Both of the drivers who were run out wide (Nico and JPM) haven't won any world championships. Both of the guys who did the running out (Lewis and Michael) are multiple time WDC.

In the world we live in, at the top level of any form of competition (or business for that matter), it is human nature, and in the case of pro athletes, 100% expected that the athlete will do anything and everything, tip-toeing through the rulebook, to win. In any sport, all of the greatest champions excel at this. It's basically where the saying "nice guys never finish first" comes from.

To me it seems like you want all the drivers to approach overtaking from a sort of "moral high ground" position...and that's just not a reality in top level competion, of any kind. As long as it's within the rules, drivers will, and should, do whatever is necessary to secure the postion. If you don't like it, the sewing circle is that-a-way --->

Overtaking in F1 is ruthless. It always has been, and I hope it stays that way.

I won't get into all the nonsense about "gentleman racing", as I have no idea what series you're talking about that uses such a vague concept to dictate legal racing. At the end of the day, race series have rules, and the drivers race to the limit of the rules, so why you would think anyone would decide whether a move was legal based on anything other than the rules I have no idea.
Nonsense :rolleyes: Please. You're on a motorsport form and your going to act like you don't know the difference between competative and non-competative (ie gentleman's racing) is. Calling me ignorant :lol:

Actually I think you're just misunderstanding the point I was getting at. Lewis and Nico did race to the limit of the rules. I was implying that some people on this forum, in my opinion, seem to lean more towards thinking that F1 overtaking is more in line with gentleman's rules when in fact it is not. I was not trying to say that Lewis and Nico were racing to some gentleman's rules outside of F1's rulebook.

Back