2015 NASCAR Thread - And then there was 1

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 10,978 comments
In other news, Tony Stewart has a pet pig named "porkchop".

upload_2014-12-29_17-35-51.png

upload_2014-12-29_17-36-34.png

Interesting development, guess that renders the eutechnyx forums obsolete now. Does explain the silence that's been around for quite abit.

I still predict NR2003 fans will still trash it and say it sucks, regardless even if it isn't trying to be better then NR2003.

While I'd love for a new NASCAR game to be on the level of EA's Thunder 2003 and/or 2004, and with that note that I've never played the PC games, having played what Eutechnyx put out I'm not holding my breath for much more than a half-decent game. Call me overly-cynical, but it's kept money in my pocket.

EA had it's issues, but overall most of their games were atleast 7-9 out of 10 depending. The latest ones all failed in way too many ways, I gave up after the first one with all their patches. My best memories were of 09 racing all night long at Daytona race after race.

I just hope they bring back the lower series too, and don't worry so much about damage models or perfect graphics, the game play has to come first.

This. You couldn't beat any NASCAR racing games by Papyrus for the PC. Then EA got the exclusive rights. That was it for me playing NASCAR on the computer (or console for that matter).
I remember playing those for hours on the old Windows 95 PC

I loved the old Papyrus NASCAR games for the PC. Had a wheel and pedals for the PC and everything.

I do have EA's NASCAR '09 (last one I bought) and it was fun, but nowhere near as good as the Papayrus games.

EA's NASCAR games after...to be BRUTALLY honest...2004 couldn't hold my interest for long. 2005 was OK, but the gameplay was drastically different from 2004, though after playing some of 2002 I think 03 and 04 should probably be filed with GRID 1 and Warship Gunner 2 as good anomalies (at least for me), then 07-09 on PS2 are just intertangled memories of all-around awfulness, so much so I can't decipher which one did what specifically. That said, NASCAR Dirt to Daytona is lots of fun, and somewhat unique due to racing on dirt tracks, even if in what looks to be an 80's Monte.

On the NR2003 subject, I'd think about it if 1) it didn't cost more than my electric bill, and 2) I knew it would operate on W8.1

The main thing I didn't like about the EA Sports NASCAR games - as I mentioned before - is how the same handful of drivers always finish up front. If you were to race a season in each game from NT2004 through NASCAR '09, you'd always see Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. at the top of the standings with a mad amount of wins. Every time.

Maybe if they made a game that, I don't know, ACTUALLY WORKED, it would be good. NTG was a good to great game stuck with horrible glitches, bad AI, and horribly managed (2013 cars costing like $40 total in Inside Line, long delayed patches or even no patches). If they just improved on those three basic things, people would buy NASCAR games again. NTG had good physics and looked great. Those three things + horrid online killed it.

The main thing I didn't like about the EA Sports NASCAR games - as I mentioned before - is how the same handful of drivers always finish up front. If you were to race a season in each game from NT2004 through NASCAR '09, you'd always see Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. at the top of the standings with a mad amount of wins. Every time.
And before that, it'd always be Dale Jarrett and Mark Martin, correct?

And before that, it'd always be Dale Jarrett and Mark Martin, correct?
Yup. Actually, here's what it was like;

NASCAR '98 through NASCAR 2001 would always be won by Mark Martin. NT2002 and NT2003 would be dominated by Dale Jarrett. From NT2004 on, it would always be Jeff Gordon or Dale Earnhardt Jr., with Tony Stewart occasionally squeaking by.

Back when I played Thunder 03 I rarely saw Jarrett win races. Maybe I got a good copy.

Speaking of the EA games the last I played was 09 which wasn't good. To me the best in order went like this:

1: Nascar Thunder 2003
2: Nascar 07 (first one I played)
3: Nascar 06 Total Team Control
4: Nascar 05 Chase for the Cup

I did play 08 and 09 but they couldn't even hold a candle to those four.

To be fair, now that I think about it Jarrett was more consistent, one career mode season I remember him having 3 wins but 32 top tens and won the championship by a country mile over Stewart in T2004.
Gordon really wasn't that great in T2003. In a career mode season on the Gamecube (so far only one, I pick up and play through a season every couple of months), he won once and finished 8th in final standings, waaaay behind Jr. in firsr.

The worst thing about 08 and 09 was not only the AI being woefully unchallenging, but then the physics were awful. It wasn't a matter of you fighting the AI so much as it was trying to get the damn car around the track. No wonder most of that game's community was involved in setups. Even I, someone who normally didn't mess with anything, had to resort to making some myself.

Post since my last on NASCAR games.

Dale Jr. is about the one constant from 02 on, and while others I can't list the usual leaders well for most games I can 03-05.
NT03 (PS2): Dale Jarrett, Jr., Mark, Sterling Marlin (remember him?), Bobby Labonte, Tony, Ricky Rudd, Jimmie, Newman, Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick, Matt Kenseth. Kurt, Bill, and Michael Waltrip popped in from time to time.
NT04 (PS2): Thinking about it, simply replace Mark with Kurt, then mention Bill and Ward from time to time and you're set.
2005: In general order; Harvick, Jr., Stewart, other big names, everyone else.

Going back to 2004, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to keep thinking it had more music tracks than most others.

The worst thing about 08 and 09 was not only the AI being woefully unchallenging, but then the physics were awful. It wasn't a matter of you fighting the AI so much as it was trying to get the damn car around the track. No wonder most of that game's community was involved in setups. Even I, someone who normally didn't mess with anything, had to resort to making some myself.

First clue about 09 on PS2 was that there was a second driving mode. "Easy mode"? "Simple mode"? Whatever it was called, if you decided to turn, even if you were on the outside at Daytona, you went at full lock, and without any resistance.

Back