2015 NASCAR Thread - And then there was 1

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 10,978 comments
That would be the best thing if Honda, or better yet, Nissan with a V8 Altima...

And maybe Jaguar, and Ferrari, and Lamborghini, and Audi...

And they all come in and destroy Ford and Chevy..
1. As a Chevy fan, There is no way they will be destroyed at their "own" game. Especially since this is GM's "anchor" racing program. Ford, eh, you got me. They care a lot about the sport, but are getting owned as their lead factory team is being reduced to nothing more than a glorified engine shop.

2. @Ganon83 is right about foreign manufacturers. Especially since quite a lot of them now operate in the south. Buuuttt...

3. Honda could feasibly come in to go after Toyota and Chevy. Then face problems trying to build a good engine. But on the other hand, they could feasibly build the best cars in the field.

4. VW/Audi I can't see coming in short term unless NASCAR allowed openly owned/funded/ factory teams. I believe that's what's holding them up IIRC. You can bet that if they do come in, they will steamroll everybody except for the few seasons Chevy drivers can hang on.

5. Same for Nissan except they might be open to working with an existing team. Either way, they'd clean up, possibly force Ford and Toyota into oblivion, and start a huge Nissan vs. Chevy brand war.

either way, can we all just agree that Dodge/SRT/Ram/Mopar deserve a comeback? Amirite???

JGR news. Darian Grubb is out as the 11's Crew Chief and will be Carl Edward's Crew Chief in the 19. Dave Rogers will be the Crew Chief for the 11 and Adam Stevens will be the Crew Chief for the 18. 20 will still be Jason Ratcliff.

1. As a Chevy fan, There is no way they will be destroyed at their "own" game. Especially since this is GM's "anchor" racing program. Ford, eh, you got me. They care a lot about the sport, but are getting owned as their lead factory team is being reduced to nothing more than a glorified engine shop.

I would say its more of a changing in the guard. Penske is now the lead Ford Team and its immediately apparent in their first two years. While they aren't as dominant as the HMS/SHR Chevys, they are up there every week as opposed to Roush's Trash hardly doing anything apart from falling behind.

3. Honda could feasibly come in to go after Toyota and Chevy. Then face problems trying to build a good engine. But on the other hand, they could feasibly build the best cars in the field.

Honda is already against Chevy in Indycar so I could definitely see Honda trying to take down Chevy in their most important series.

4. VW/Audi I can't see coming in short term unless NASCAR allowed openly owned/funded/ factory teams. I believe that's what's holding them up IIRC. You can bet that if they do come in, they will steamroll everybody except for the few seasons Chevy drivers can hang on.

I think Audi wouldn't exactly be against doing it in a way that isn't a openly funded effort. They already do so via their customer racing program.

5. Same for Nissan except they might be open to working with an existing team. Either way, they'd clean up, possibly force Ford and Toyota into oblivion, and start a huge Nissan vs. Chevy brand war.

For sure, Nissan would. They do so already in some of the Short Off-Road racing series so it wouldn't be a surprise, they'd likely start with the Truck Series since they have their name already associated with truck racing competition.

either way, can we all just agree that Dodge/SRT/Ram/Mopar deserve a comeback? Amirite???

If they actually make competitive cars that can compete with everyone else, then yeah.

I would say its more of a changing in the guard. Penske is now the lead Ford Team and its immediately apparent in their first two years. While they aren't as dominant as the HMS/SHR Chevys, they are up there every week as opposed to Roush's Trash hardly doing anything apart from falling behind.

Honda is already against Chevy in Indycar so I could definitely see Honda trying to take down Chevy in their most important series.

I think Audi wouldn't exactly be against doing it in a way that isn't a openly funded effort. They already do so via their customer racing program.

or sure, Nissan would. They do so already in some of the Short Off-Road racing series so it wouldn't be a surprise, they'd likely start with the Truck Series since they have their name already associated with truck racing competition.

If they actually make competitive cars that can compete with everyone else, then yeah.

1. True. Though Roush does make all the engines. And apparently that's all they're good for.

2. Exactly. But Honda's inexperience with NASCAR-style V8's will make it an uphill battle. But if they survive the teething troubles, it would be one heck of a battle.

3. Audi will never do it because NASCAR is not their market. VW on the other hand would be the perfect fit. But I read one of the reasons they'll never do NASCAR is because NASCAR does not allow factory owned and sponsored teams. However, if VW find a willing partner (such as Andretti Autosport or they "buy out" a preexisting team. ) then they should do it, and will likely do very well.

4. Nissan, yeah. They'd clean up in the truck series with the titan since it already has a nose that would give it an advantage. And, if their V8 Supercars effort is an indicator, the Altima would do very well against the Fusion, Camry, and SS(Commodore:sly:). plus, Altima NASCAR edition, homologation special:D. However, what would they run in NXS?

PS. I'm sure Dodge could do well in NASCAR if they actually try.

@AMPMROCKETFANN , @RACECAR

I was being most realistic with Honda & Nissan, but siding more on Nissan because their Altima is pretty good. Nissan could share the engine and make the field more even (in terms of different cars manufactures).

The second line was just a "and them, and them, and them, and these people, and these people too..." sorta thing, not actually serious with it at all.

But Jag could bring in a super heavyweight XJ with a V8 in it, and Audi with an S6 (maybe even the RS7 but I could only wish).

And the main reason for the last line was just because I've never liked Kyle winning in the Toyota, or really Kyle at all... Not sure who else other than Hamlin who I like in the Toyota so I just want to see something different in the sport ever since Dodge/SRT left.

@AMPMROCKETFANN , @RACECAR

I was being most realistic with Honda & Nissan, but siding more on Nissan because their Altima is pretty good. Nissan could share the engine and make the field more even (in terms of different cars manufactures).

The second line was just a "and them, and them, and them, and these people, and these people too..." sorta thing, not actually serious with it at all.

But Jag could bring in a super heavyweight XJ with a V8 in it, and Audi with an S6 (maybe even the RS7 but I could only wish).

And the main reason for the last line was just because I've never liked Kyle winning in the Toyota, or really Kyle at all... Not sure who else other than Hamlin who I like in the Toyota so I just want to see something different in the sport ever since Dodge/SRT left.
either way, thanks for starting this discussion. I quite like fantasizing on more manufacturers in NASCAR. Aaaaannnnnnndddd now I want Honda and Nissan to go NASCAR racing. Thanks.

I doubt any manufacturer would have a problem building a NASCAR legal V8. Pushrods and overhead valves are simple compared to the DOHC engines they are used to. There is enough information out there and smart engineers to make it happen. Chevy, Ford and Dodge would get smoked if they let them use overhead cams and real fuel injection. That will never happen though so just pipe dreams. TRD made a strong NASCAR legal overhead valve pushrod V8 when they came into NASCAR. People complained they were too fast and NASCAR made all the Toyota teams in the Nationwide Series use a tapered spacer to bump down the hp. Meanwhile all other teams didn't have to run one. Anyone who says NASCAR is not political and doesn't side with anyone is wrong. Pushrods and OHV motors are not rocket science.

lol.... does it not get boring for anyone else when you think, "wow, this is a really boring sport. Almost everyone have the same looking car, same engine, it doesn't matter about what car really wins because the drivers just wanna be 'Merican and have a huge following so they get more money so they can fix their cars that are all the same...."

I'd really want to see factory teams too, and maybe different classes, but that would sorta spoil the whole Nationwide-Sprint series, plus, there wouldn't be enough room for some of the smaller tracks..

Anyone who says NASCAR is not political and doesn't side with anyone is wrong. Pushrods and OHV motors are not rocket science.
Communism within America's second (??) most favorite sport...

lol.... does it not get boring for anyone else when you think, "wow, this is a really boring sport. Almost everyone have the same looking car, same engine, it doesn't matter about what car really wins because the drivers just wanna be 'Merican and have a huge following so they get more money so they can fix their cars that are all the same...."

I'd really want to see factory teams too, and maybe different classes, but that would sorta spoil the whole Nationwide-Sprint series, plus, there wouldn't be enough room for some of the smaller tracks..
The spec car makes it an actual race. It's simple, easy to follow, and the drivers are the ones marketed rather than the cars. It relates to the American motorsports market much better than anything else so far. Going away from what it is would ruin it.

NASCAR kinda has factory teams. In the form of heavily funded privately owned teams that receive direct funding but are responsible for building the chassis and I think the engines themselves(Hendrick, RCR, JGR, Penske, Roush, and MWR for example). Outright Manufacturer owned and sponsored teams would be great but it would drive 60% of the smaller teams out and NASCAR wouldn't want that

NASCAR kinda has factory teams. In the form of heavily funded privately owned teams that receive direct funding but are responsible for building the chassis and I think the engines themselves(Hendrick, RCR, JGR, Penske, Roush, and MWR for example). Outright Manufacturer owned and sponsored teams would be great but it would drive 60% of the smaller teams out and NASCAR wouldn't want that

NASCAR wouldn't want that but it's ludicrous to think the small guys even have a chance against the fast guys. There are too many cars on the track. Top 20 are fast and the others really have no business out there.

I doubt any manufacturer would have a problem building a NASCAR legal V8. Pushrods and overhead valves are simple compared to the DOHC engines they are used to. There is enough information out there and smart engineers to make it happen. Chevy, Ford and Dodge would get smoked if they let them use overhead cams and real fuel injection. That will never happen though so just pipe dreams. TRD made a strong NASCAR legal overhead valve pushrod V8 when they came into NASCAR. People complained they were too fast and NASCAR made all the Toyota teams in the Nationwide Series use a tapered spacer to bump down the hp. Meanwhile all other teams didn't have to run one. Anyone who says NASCAR is not political and doesn't side with anyone is wrong. Pushrods and OHV motors are not rocket science.

Showbiz, sustainable economics and institutionalizing racing as a weekly American entertainment industry is what NASCAR is all about. I've followed F1 since 1961 for its artistry and technology. I follow NASCAR because it delivers excellent entertainment.

The spec car makes it an actual race. It's simple, easy to follow, and the drivers are the ones marketed rather than the cars.
Not really an actual race between cars (as that is what you are implying) but between drivers with most skill and best setup for the car. Yes it may be simple, and easy to follow, but it is quite boring. If someone wants to have lunch in a recliner and take a nap while the event is on, then why bother watching it?
It's also quite obvious that drivers are marketed over the cars too, because Americans (at least my entire family is) are generally annoyed at commercials. However, in the case such as Jimmie Johnson on SC with the mattock, or Jr. with the "Dale Call", it's quite obvious to tell the drivers are marketed... Why would Chevy, Ford, or Toyota even want to promote V8's when everyone is all about efficiency anyways? There is no drive in the sport to induce change unlike how there is in Formula 1, which although is not how people want it, but it is needed. Sure they could loosen up the regulations a bit to make them louder, which should happen imo, but F1 is a modern day series, as with the WEC, and many others. NASCAR is far from it... It's cute they had their little eco-green commercial, but the prevalence is not talked about actively every day by the commentators, so in part, it has little to no effect at all on the viewer's knowledge.

It relates to the American motorsports market much better than anything else so far. Going away from what it is would ruin it.
Mostly because no one wants change. A lot of people like the old Camaros of the 60's, and many other things, but change is most of the time the best decision to take. When someone thinks something is perfect, they are far from realizing there is much more in potential. If the France family still want to keep it like it is, that is fine, but as more and more markets and businesses expand elsewhere in the racing world, they will slowly loose sponsorship to run full grid races.

That's not true entirely how it would drive them out. Look at F1, WEC, or any other major competitive motorsport and you will see that there are more private teams than factory teams. It's quite the opposite really, as in manufactures would rather have a privateer team race their cars and handle the liability, and then the manufacture boasts their claims..

NASCAR wouldn't want that but it's ludicrous to think the small guys even have a chance against the fast guys. There are too many cars on the track. Top 20 are fast and the others really have no business out there.
Essentially F1, except it's spilt just about every 6-8 drivers, rather than the top 20. If F1 were to have 40+ cars on the track, it would be an entertaining sport to most all Americans I imagine, but the circuits can not handle that many cars, or hot-headed talent.

edit: nor is there enough companies out there that can pay for the kind of madness they have to all endure with. Mercedes is the only German manufacture because they race (manufacture wise) in limited series. DTM, F1, and a few GT3 races (I'm not sure the names of the GT3/2/1 organizations but I know there are factory teams from Mercedes) are about all that come to mind, which the majority of their spending is F1. Audi would never consider it, because they seem to have found better returns in WEC, and BMW nor Porsche, or any other posh/luxury/super car manufactures will join simply because of the costs.

Showbiz, sustainable economics and institutionalizing racing as a weekly American entertainment industry is what NASCAR is all about. I've followed F1 since 1961 for its artistry and technology. I follow NASCAR because it delivers excellent entertainment.
Essentially that. The same for NFL because they both deliver a large televised market, which the sport hasn't changed unless it's for safety reasons, and appeals to everyone in their area.. It's marketing genius if you have a sport team, but only if they are televised and somewhat good.

Last edited:
Not really an actual race between cars (as that is what you are implying) but between drivers with most skill and best setup for the car. Yes it may be simple, and easy to follow, but it is quite boring. If someone wants to have lunch in a recliner and take a nap while the event is on, then why bother watching it?
If you think it's boring now, just do everything you want to NASCAR and then it will be 16 cars all seconds apart for 500 miles instead of 43 cars spread out in various amounts for 500 miles. NASCAR doesn't have technology because it's too damn expensive to have a good grid for a 36 week season with high tech cars. We can all oooo and aaaahhhh over these really high tech cars, but who wants to watch high tech cars make circles for 500 miles and not even pass anyone. I wouldn't go to races if they weren't exciting, and honestly, how many people in the stands care that V8s are bad for the environment when wearing a shirt to the race usually puts you in the top 20-40% well dressed people there?

If you think it's boring now, just do everything you want to NASCAR and then it will be 16 cars all seconds apart for 500 miles instead of 43 cars spread out in various amounts for 500 miles. NASCAR doesn't have technology because it's too damn expensive to have a good grid for a 36 week season with high tech cars. We can all oooo and aaaahhhh over these really high tech cars, but who wants to watch high tech cars make circles for 500 miles and not even pass anyone. I wouldn't go to races if they weren't exciting, and honestly, how many people in the stands care that V8s are bad for the environment when wearing a shirt to the race usually puts you in the top 20-40% well dressed people there?

:lol:

I'm sorry, but wasn't that exactly the problem four seasons ago in the cup series? Last I checked, those cars weren't even close to "High Tech" and yet people found the races boring to watch for the exact same reason bolded.

If you think it's boring now, just do everything you want to NASCAR and then it will be 16 cars all seconds apart for 500 miles instead of 43 cars spread out in various amounts for 500 miles.
That's not the point. NASCAR is regulated from the wheel nuts to transmission linkage, and that is ridiculous. Let the teams experiment within a reasonable amount of boundary, where the best designed/engineered car wins it, rather than a standard car for everyone to debate what to use and then pick the best because everyone else is using it... It's such a copycat sport, with nothing different from years past. They could've gotten somewhere with the COT cars, but didn't because a wing and a diffuser were too much for the crew to adapt to... I mean Jesus, have NASCAR not have the basic functions of a brain to see what works and what doesn't?
How hard is it for them to string some PVC up and over the boxes, with the sign they use to flag them down?
FreshPaint-14-2014.12.04-09.59.37_edited.jpg

I wouldn't go to races if they weren't exciting, and honestly, how many people in the stands care that V8s are bad for the environment when wearing a shirt to the race usually puts you in the top 20-40% well dressed people there?
I'm pretty sure with as packed as the F1 crowds are and how many of them go on the grass hills (for tracks that have them) they aren't boring to them.

NASCAR seems to be loosing more track viewers (not sure what to call them, those whom go to the tracks for the weekend) than they are gaining. Maybe Daytona and Talladega but if you watched any of the Charlottesville race, did you notice how empty the stands were? It was probably the worst I've ever seen. I also read somewhere places are taking down some seating because attendance is too low to keep up with maintenance.

I don't really care if you're dressed or not... Anyone who can understand what those from Talladega can say will fit in just fine..

Last edited:
From Jayski;
NASCAR considering changes to Xfinity, Trucks championship format: NASCAR is discussing how to determine the XFINITY and Camping World Truck champions this coming season. Steve O'Donnell, executive vice president and chief racing development officer for NASCAR, declined to say Wednesday to Motor Racing Network what the format will be for those two series this coming season. "We look at every championship every year,'' O'Donnell said after speaking at Sports Business Journal's Motorsports Marketing Forum at Aria Resort. "I can't tell you if it's going to change. We're still looking at it.'' Although NASCAR is examining the issue, it does not mean that a change is coming. Still, NASCAR is pleased with the results of the new Chase format, which created a buzz with its eliminations and one-race championship battle at Homestead-Miami Speedway. "We think we hit a home run,'' O'Donnell said about the Chase during his presentation. "We are really excited with how it came out. I think one of the biggest assets of the Chase is the dialogue around the number of teams, which means more sponsors are being talked about, more drivers. If you take that same mentality, why wouldn't we want 10 or 12 drivers being talked about in the XFINITY Series, 10 or 12 drivers being talked about Camping World? I'm not saying we're there yet, but there is some dialogue going on about what we could do in the future.'' O'Donnell also addressed other topics during his speech, including shortening races and if another series other than the Camping World Trucks could run at Eldora Speedway.(MRN)(12-5-2014)
If this comes through, it will bring more interest to the Nationwide and Truck series. Although like always the Cup drivers are most likely to win a race, I like the idea of having championships come down to the wire.

From Jayski;

If this comes through, it will bring more interest to the Nationwide and Truck series. Although like always the Cup drivers are most likely to win a race, I like the idea of having championships come down to the wire.
No... Why can't we just have a good title fight occur naturally?

No... Why can't we just have a good title fight occur naturally?
When you watch the races throughout the season, you want everyone to drive like they need to win. It will encourage winning and may solve the Buschwhacker problem (to a degree).

When you watch the races throughout the season, you want everyone to drive like they need to win. It will encourage winning and may solve the Buschwhacker problem (to a degree).
And the Cup drivers will still win since they have the most talent and are in the best equipment.

Problem not solved.

And the Cup drivers will still win since they have the most talent and are in the best equipment.

Problem not solved.
Which is why I said "to a degree".

Nationwide and Truck regulars will race harder than ever if the two series had their own Chase format.

The success on Kenseth and Newman in the new chase format will give hope to those who can manage consistent high placings even if they seldom win.

Translation: "Seeing a driver clinch the championship at Phoenix reduced the excitement level of the Nationwide race at Homestead. We're putting out vague statements to assess the feelings of our fans. No matter their feelings, we'll probably change the format anyways."

Years ago: The Trucks and Nationwide Series don't have enough races to have a chase.
Now: How about we think about implementing a chase.

Not for me. It's true (if simplistic) to say that if you like it you like it, if you don't you don't.

How about more dirt racin for trucks? That was quite the fun race to watch
I'm onboard, but I say keep it three or less per season, and maybe even add the Whelen Modified Tour to it. If we stay at three or less dirt races, then they'll still feel like a special event to me. If we get the Modified Tour involved, then same. Truth be told, I've been wanting to see the Modifieds come to my local dirt oval, which is also a World of Outlaws track, since the first Mudsummer Classic.

Back