2015 NASCAR Thread - And then there was 1

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 10,978 comments
Maybe NASCAR should consider doing an All Star style event in Sprint Cup at Eldora.

It would certainly be more entertaining than what we have now, which is pretty much used as a test session for the 600.

I would also say add another million to the prize as 1 million isn't much for the drivers that are in the All-Star race.

It would certainly be more entertaining than what we have now, which is pretty much used as a test session for the 600.

I would also say add another million to the prize as 1 million isn't much for the drivers that are in the All-Star race.
How about a 1 million dollar prize at Eldora for the teams not in the All-Star race?

Cup and Nationwide should hold at least one exhibition race on a dirt track. If it becomes a popular event, keep it on the schedule.

Since NASCAR made it clear that they would consider tinkering with everything, I'll throw this outlandish (but possible with this NASCAR) All-Star Race held at a dirt track:

1. All Teams can enter the All-Star Race regardless of if the did or didn't win during the season.
2. Qualifying will take place in the form of heat races.
3. If there are more than 43 cars entered, the winner of the final heat will start 43rd.
4. Race will take place in a format akin to the Mudsummer Classic with heats throughout.
5. Winner gets the million, and if the winner doesn't win a race that season and also isn't in the top 16 in points after race 26, a 17th spot in points will be added for the winner of the All-Star Race. In this scenario, the first round of the chase would eliminate 5 drivers instead of 4. Then things would go back to normal. However, if the driver who wins the All-Star race is already going to the chase, the All-Star race will grant the winner an automatic berth into the second round of the Chase.

If NASCAR really wants the All-Star race to truly mean something, it has to really be more than just what it is. Every year drivers that don't have a shot just log laps until the last 10 laps, and after that, they hope that someone wrecks in front of them. In this proposed example, the winner (if needed) could contend for the Chase. In other sports with elimination formats (such as baseball), the winner of the All-Star game usually gets home-field advantage in the playoffs. Eldora was far and away the best race of 2014, and maybe the All-Star race would be more meaningful if winners got more out of it. Maybe not by using my proposed method, but surely, NASCAR could think of some way to make it meaningful.

Damn, I absolutely hate it for him. Unfortunately as he himself said Last month, it is really difficult to get sponsorship. I hope he doesn't go to RFR, they are just going downhill and the last thing he needs is to go to a team that is outright pitiful.

1. NOOOOOOO WHYYYYYYY
2. Well, at least I don't have to root for Gibbs/KBM crap anymore
3. WHY RFR?!?! The worst factory affiliated team in NASCAR (Front Row not counting here). He will go Nowhere. This sucks. I can only hope RCR, JRM, or maybe the burning hulk that was TSM can step up and offer him a good ride. This is a major kick in the nuts for both his career and IMO NASCAR as a whole.

It's no different than any other talented driver who can't get sponsorship. Not meant to be racist or taken that way, but this stuff happens all the time.

That's awful. He's got the talent to be successful.

Now it's gonna be squandered at Roush-Fenway if he does end up there.

Such hatred for RFR in here.

Yes, they have been lagging behind the past couple years, but what makes you guys think they can't turn things around?

I'm late to the arguement, but complete factory teams in NASCAR have happened before- in the 1960's, where manufactures left every other season due to a disagreement of some kind. Most famously, Richard Petty left NASCAR for a year in 1965 along with Chrysler due to NASCAR outlawing the Hemi, leaving Ford to win 32 straight Cup races. On the flip side, Petty won 27 in 1967 when Ford backed out over the Hemi.
Bobby Labonte will be in the 32 next season for all four plate races. So much for one driver only in that car all year.

Such hatred for RFR in here.

Yes, they have been lagging behind the past couple years, but what makes you guys think they can't turn things around?
RFR just let Edwards, a guy who should be the franchise player of your team, walk. Now the team has Stenhouse, who has done nothing in Cup, Bayne, a so far fluke Daytona 500 champion who would be out of the sport if it wasn't for Advocare (and not only that but will probably end his career relatively early due to MLS at some point) and Biffle, who can't stop choking away the Daytona 500. I have no confidence in them to do anything.

I'm late to the arguement, but complete factory teams in NASCAR have happened before- in the 1960's, where manufactures left every other season due to a disagreement of some kind. Most famously, Richard Petty left NASCAR for a year in 1965 along with Chrysler due to NASCAR outlawing the Hemi, leaving Ford to win 32 straight Cup races. On the flip side, Petty won 27 in 1967 when Ford backed out over the Hemi.
Bobby Labonte will be in the 32 next season for all four plate races. So much for one driver only in that car all year.
How so? the Petty/Chrysler thing sounds more like a coincidence. And a funny one at that since he experimented in drag racing. (unsuccessfully btw)

RFR just let Edwards, a guy who should be the franchise player of your team, walk. Now the team has Stenhouse, who has done nothing in Cup, Bayne, a so far fluke Daytona 500 champion who would be out of the sport if it wasn't for Advocare (and not only that but will probably end his career relatively early due to MLS at some point) and Biffle, who can't stop choking away the Daytona 500. I have no confidence in them to do anything.
Not to mention their Nationwide/Xfinity team has been virtually useless since stenhouse raced in there. And with the addition of Sadler, who basically flunked out of cup, and Gibbs. It sure seems like improvement is not guaranteed.

Not to mention their Nationwide/Xfinity team has been virtually useless since stenhouse raced in there. And with the addition of Sadler, who basically flunked out of cup, and Gibbs. It sure seems like improvement is not guaranteed.

Its sad really, lots of young talent are just being wasted at Roush and this is while they are losing another one of their big time drivers who were the single biggest reason they had any chance. Lets also not forget that Sadler drove for Childress as well, where he got most of his wins as of late.

Maybe its about time Sadler just hung up his helmet and Jack just left NASCAR and went to Road Racing. Penske's amazing progress in their switch has made his team obsolete with Ford and clearly him being a ford Loyalist means that there is no chance that he'll be able to go with another make. As for Sadler, he just isn't championship material and never will be at this rate.

I'm willing to bet by the end of the 2015 Season, Trevor Bayne will have done the most for Roush in Cup because Stenhouse has proven useless in Cup and Biffle is far as I can tell is just not good anymore.

By the numbers, Sadler isn't bad at all. 2nd in points 2011, 2nd in 2012, 4th in 2013, 3rd in 2014. Why hang it up?

Because he's gotten worse. First 2 seasons he had his best shot and he missed the second time because of a dumb move he made in the 2nd to last race. He only was second because he was one of the few Nationwide regulars that could keep up with Stenhouse (the other being his teammate, Austin Dillon). Overall, he just doesn't come off to me with good enough results to get a championship and he doesn't run well enough throughout the season. This move to Roush will be his worst move yet as he now has the worst equipment of the cup teams to go along with his lackluster running. I thought he had a chance with RCR, I thought maybe things would get better with JGR and their equipment but I've lost faith in him getting it done.

I agree that Roush is a sinking ship but we're basically calling the season before it even starts. I don't expect Roush to do well but you never know.

How so? the Petty/Chrysler thing sounds more like a coincidence. And a funny one at that since he experimented in drag racing. (unsuccessfully btw).
Chrysler made it well known what was going on. Petty wouldn't of left NASCAR otherwise, because even then there was more money in it than drag racing.

Its sad really, lots of young talent are just being wasted at Roush and this is while they are losing another one of their big time drivers who were the single biggest reason they had any chance. Lets also not forget that Sadler drove for Childress as well, where he got most of his wins as of late.

Maybe its about time Sadler just hung up his helmet and Jack just left NASCAR and went to Road Racing. Penske's amazing progress in their switch has made his team obsolete with Ford and clearly him being a ford Loyalist means that there is no chance that he'll be able to go with another make. As for Sadler, he just isn't championship material and never will be at this rate.

I'm willing to bet by the end of the 2015 Season, Trevor Bayne will have done the most for Roush in Cup because Stenhouse has proven useless in Cup and Biffle is far as I can tell is just not good anymore.
Well, Roush does build good motors. In fact they already supply engines to a large monster truck team out here in Maryland in conjunction with Ford Racing, so they still got that. otherwise, I see road Racing as a fulltime factory team as well as building rally engines as something they should seriously consider.

Because he's gotten worse. First 2 seasons he had his best shot and he missed the second time because of a dumb move he made in the 2nd to last race. He only was second because he was one of the few Nationwide regulars that could keep up with Stenhouse (the other being his teammate, Austin Dillon). Overall, he just doesn't come off to me with good enough results to get a championship and he doesn't run well enough throughout the season. This move to Roush will be his worst move yet as he now has the worst equipment of the cup teams to go along with his lackluster running. I thought he had a chance with RCR, I thought maybe things would get better with JGR and their equipment but I've lost faith in him getting it done.
JGR stuff is actually decent looking as far as I can tell. I mean, something has to hang with the JRM/Hendrick Chevys :P

Chrysler made it well known what was going on. Petty wouldn't of left NASCAR otherwise, because even then there was more money in it than drag racing.
Interesting. That explains the homologation rules of the time, although now since I brought that up, they are likely the reason we don't have outright named/funded factory teams anymore:grumpy::banghead:

Interesting. That explains the homologation rules of the time, although now since I brought that up, they are likely the reason we don't have outright named/funded factory teams anymore:grumpy::banghead:
Actually, what happened was that Ford stopped funding all racing in the early 1970's, while Chrysler basically cut funding to only Petty. Junior Johnson shut down his team in 1971 because of no funds, and NASCAR would be much smaller if he hadn't, because he got the famous call from RJ Reynolds asking to sponsor his car for millions upon millions of dollars. Winston came in, showed all of these other outside companies like Perdue Chicken, for example, that racing was a great form of advertising that catered to the customer they had in mind. By the mid 70's the top teams had abandoned straight up manufacture support and had replaced the fickle car companies with somewhat more reliable consumer companies.

Actually, what happened was that Ford stopped funding all racing in the early 1970's, while Chrysler basically cut funding to only Petty. Junior Johnson shut down his team in 1971 because of no funds, and NASCAR would be much smaller if he hadn't, because he got the famous call from RJ Reynolds asking to sponsor his car for millions upon millions of dollars. Winston came in, showed all of these other outside companies like Perdue Chicken, for example, that racing was a great form of advertising that catered to the customer they had in mind. By the mid 70's the top teams had abandoned straight up manufacture support and had replaced the fickle car companies with somewhat more reliable consumer companies.
I sure wish that would happen for other forms of motorsports here in America

So basically, manufacturers got fickle in the 1970's (likely due to the crapification of cars in general post 1974 it seems) so teams went for independent companies to fund their teams instead of competing to be a lead/affiliated "Factory" team thus leading to the rise of heavily funded independent "factory" teams like what we have now but then manufacturers started pouring money back into the series by funding the larger teams and supplying similar equipment to smaller teams?

So whilst I hated the new chase format for this year, I did like how the final race was a "Winner takes all" event. So how about this for an idea:

No "chase" but win any of the first 35 races and you are within a shot at Homestead. Homestead becomes a winner takes all between all of the race winners from the season.

Thoughts?

Thoughts are every damn Motorsports championship that is a serious series should revert back to standard points seasons like they use to be in the past. That means, no chase -super money sweepstakes France family is the real winners- and just a regular season or pre-chase. That means no double points or any other silly points F1 -Bernie wants to sell a deal to the biggest bidder track owner- or IRL for that matter as well.

And other series that do stupid stuff, like WSBK and Moto and so on and so forth. Even the division Endurance and Regular season V8 Supercars championships are annoying.

Thoughts are every damn Motorsports championship that is a serious series should revert back to standard points seasons like they use to be in the past. That means, no chase -super money sweepstakes France family is the real winners- and just a regular season or pre-chase. That means no double points or any other silly points F1 -Bernie wants to sell a deal to the biggest bidder track owner- or IRL for that matter as well.

And other series that do stupid stuff, like WSBK and Moto and so on and so forth. Even the division Endurance and Regular season V8 Supercars championships are annoying.
I agree for sure, but Nascar and ratings dictate that'll never happen.

So basically, manufacturers got fickle in the 1970's (likely due to the crapification of cars in general post 1974 it seems) so teams went for independent companies to fund their teams instead of competing to be a lead/affiliated "Factory" team thus leading to the rise of heavily funded independent "factory" teams like what we have now but then manufacturers started pouring money back into the series by funding the larger teams and supplying similar equipment to smaller teams?
Basically, although the manufactures pulling out happened 68-70 where they cut back more and more, culminating with Petty signing with Ford in '69 and the death of Holman Moody. Part of the problem also was the rise of safety advocates, Ralph Nader being the best example, forcing the companies to put more emphasis on safety and less on speed.

48lowes-teamlowesfb.jpg

48lowes-diecast.jpg

👍

Back