2015 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

For those that watched FP2, was there any explanation for Jo Bauer being in the McLaren garage during FP1?

I didn't hear one but I'd like to know myself as well.

This is all I found...

McLaren had Technical Delegate Jo Bauer from the FIA in the garage, presumably to check permissions over changes that they need to make to return to the track for FP2.

That's all I found online at F1spy and other smaller f1 websites.

How long it has been since they changed the graphics, the last time? I don't think it has been very long.
They do like to tweak them each year. The most recent overhaul was in 2010, when the black-glass look was introduced. 2014 saw the addition of new engine graphics and updates for the number system, including colour-coded tags for teams.

Lightbulb moment there reading your response @LMSCorvetteGT2. Of course all changes at testing are fine so problems can be resolved as they find them. In season though, a lot of the changes will need to be overseen. They may as well give Bauer a team shirt because I think he will spend a lot of time in their garage this season!!!

I can not picture F1 cars going across the Harbour Bridge. I can see them going across the Brooklyn Bridge and making a U-turn at the Supreme Court building before it ever leaves Melbourne.

While you guys down south are arguing over which bridge makes the prettiest postcard, Brisbane proposes mountain course with historical significance....

Sir Samuel Griffith Dr, Mt Cootha, Brisbane.

data=U4aSnIyhBFNIJ3A8fCzUmaVIwyWq6RtIfB4QKiGq_w,8C3S-VymWPVUEfGnsa63jbV6sU76ZcSj5NUXzueYMBNh6WBw9SLqGamLbLZxq222GKkde3njjbnsEO9DzeexMv_M_deOa3jwhakeP7pHRzAS-Qbj8mbVz3ajULt_PQOoku0n36J8YlOpp45to6wvBtkWmd1LEJDLMCLYOvqx15BQf7uQAjbudEJysS6utZk5QMxFQnaPG3vpSU15NzGk8Tb30MR3d3e5Qw

s3580426.png

They are reviving the Cootha Classic hill climb here in September

I can not picture F1 cars going across the Harbour Bridge. I can see them going across the Brooklyn Bridge and making a U-turn at the Supreme Court building before it ever leaves Melbourne.
It's a publicity stunt. The Grand Prix is in Melbourne because the state Liberal government under Jeff Kennett poached the race away from Adelaide. The Liberals have been wiped out in recent state elections, losing both Queensland and Victoria, and they're going into the New South Wales state election later this month on a policy platform that proved extremely unpopular in the states that they lost, an extremely unpopular federal government are weighing around their necks, and a tumultuous political landscape that has seen the state go through five premiers in seven years and only one of them lost an election. Given the massive public attention that Daniel Ricciardo attracts, I suspect Mike Baird is playing for the popular vote.

I don't think there is any team I'm really going to support this year. I'll just go for whoever is winning lol. It's going to be a great season. Being an Australian I will watch out for Riciardo though.

This while thing with Sauber and Manor. That 107% rule should be deleted. Ppint struucture should allow for last place finishers to get one point for their effort. One point could decide final placings at years end. Even if Manor can start the race, it gives them time to gather data. Same with Sauber, they should just have wunderbar race at the next meeting. There are valuable points and data to be collected at this race meeting.

This while thing with Sauber and Manor. That 107% rule should be deleted. Ppint struucture should allow for last place finishers to get one point for their effort. One point could decide final placings at years end. Even if Manor can start the race, it gives them time to gather data. Same with Sauber, they should just have wunderbar race at the next meeting. There are valuable points and data to be collected at this race meeting.
I'm quite sure the 107% rule is there for safety and closer competition. Points for last place would defeat the purpose of the current system of getting more money for finishing well.

There are valuable points and data to be collected at this race meeting.

Sauber and Manor would, I'm sure, welcome the idea of points but I think they'd also accept that they'd only achieve them through sheer luck right now.

I'm quite sure the 107% rule is there for safety and closer competition. Points for last place would defeat the purpose of the current system of getting more money for finishing well.

I understand for sure. Safety and closer competition? We saw how that played out last year with Mercedes having the road all their own.

There have been times front runners get a flat or lose a front wing at the start. They go one or two laps down. Finishing with a point helps their cause. They've tried hard to finish from the back. It's still a hard road for an under funded team to come 10th. There are still fights at the back. A driver makes it to F1 for whatever reason. A team is allowed to race in the series. If they manage to avoid the carnage and cross the line at the end, that deserves a point.

Sauber and Manor would, I'm sure, welcome the idea of points but I think they'd also accept that they'd only achieve them through sheer luck right now.

And that's the point. They paid their entry fee. Did the testing(some what). Showed up to race. If they finish. They get something for it. It all adds up in the end. Hey, some drivers DNF. That one point makes a difference. Oh well.

Just use Famine's system of awarding constructor points to the second car from each team. If, for example, the finishing order is ROS-RIC-KVY-HAM, Red Bull would get 25 points and Mercedes 18 because both Red Bull drivers finished the race ahead of Mercedes.

Hamilton just showed up at Albert Park ... in the back seat of a Mercedes coupe, with a gold chain as thick as your wrist dangling down to his navel around his neck, at which point he refused to give an interview.

Hamilton just showed up at Albert Park ... in the back seat of a Mercedes coupe, with a gold chain as thick as your wrist dangling down to his navel around his neck, at which point he refused to give an interview.
I think it is a bit rude though, to approach a driver while he's trying to engage with the fans. Channel 10 do the same thing every year and it's just cringe worthy to watch.

I think it is a bit rude though, to approach a driver while he's trying to engage with the fans.
Honestly, I think he was more worried about keeping his balance with that chain around his neck. Every time he moved even slightly, he looked like he was in serious danger of toppling over.

I think it is a bit rude though, to approach a driver while he's trying to engage with the fans. Channel 10 do the same thing every year and it's just cringe worthy to watch.
Not really, everyone else was able to do it.

Just started watching the interview with Perez. At a quick glance, I thought it was Jorge Lorenzo. I was thinking," when did this happen?!!"

Not really, everyone else was able to do it.
That's not the point. They're there for the fans who, for some, have been waiting for hours to see their favourite drivers. It kinda takes away from the experience when the driver's acknowledging the interviewer, rather than them.

Sure, others manage to do both (Hamilton actually managed to answer those same rehashed questions in that same spot yesterday) at the same time, but rarely do I see them engaging with the fans more than the interviewer in that situation.

Webber is a better commentator then Brundle imo, his knowledge is on another planet.

Also I doubt Kyvat will be out soon, judging by the brake lock up its probably a ERS Failure.

Last edited:
Webber is a better commentator then Brundle imo, his knowledge is on another planet.
Maybe, but Alan Jones is a cranky old bugger who complains about how he doesn't understand the technology and assumes that because he doesn't, the audience doesn't either. And Matt White is the network personality numpty who commentates because it looks good on his CV, nit because he has an interest in the sport.

Maybe, but Alan Jones is a cranky old bugger who complains about how he doesn't understand the technology and assumes that because he doesn't, the audience doesn't either. And Matt White is the network personality numpty who commentates because it looks good on his CV, nit because he has an interest in the sport.
Yeah but who cares about anything those guys say, Webber is the only person worth listening too.

Yeah but who cares about anything those guys say
You can't just have one commentator. Commentary is a dialogue, not a monologue. Typically, you have an expert like Brundle and an everyman, like David Croft. And while we have an expert in Webber, White is the network personality - he's not there because of an interest, he's there for his ego; given all of the attention surrounding Ricciardo, it's more important for White to be the person commentating than it is for him to do a decent job. He was like that at Seven as well, waxing lyrical when he's ignorant.

And like I said, Jones just whinges.

The problem is apart from Webber the others have near zero knowledge of the sport as well.

I have yet to see the Fox Sports coverage though as all the sessions I have seen is at work when only ten is available.

But my guess is they just go with the world feed.

Webber should look into getting into Skys coverage imo, and he still lives in UK too so it would work well.

The problem is apart from Webber the others have near zero knowledge of the sport as well.

I have yet to see the Fox Sports coverage though as all the sessions I have seen is at work when only ten is available.

But my guess is they just go with the world feed.

Webber should look into getting into Skys coverage imo, and he still lives in UK too so it would work well.

The others on Sky have plenty of knowledge. The only other group that compares is NBC's group and BBC to some extent

Back