2015 Subaru WRX & STi - WRX Wagon on the way?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 551 comments
I sure hope they release a hatch. I wouldn't be surprised to see sales for the new sedan being lower than they expected due to the lack of a hatch offering.
Let's face it, there isn't a ton of competition in the hatch market segment. On the other hand, as a sedan the WRX and STI have a ton of competition, competition that is often a better deal. :indiff:

Don't drivetrain mules entail brand new drivetrains in old bodies?
Not necessarily. They probably either didn't have the new wider body available in time to start testing, or they used the regular car on purpose to try and fool people. (yeah....right)

Impreza Sports Hybrid for JP market.

11taalk.jpg

v5izq8.jpg

bf592u.jpg

After seeing this car in TV commercials and raced by Bucky Lasek in the Global Rallycross Championship, I really dig the latest WRX. Sad thing is that since its rival Mitsubishi Lancer will be phased out in the near future, the WRX will be the only real remaining rally beast you can get in the States. This Japanese-spec Impreza Sport Hybrid does kind of look like the previous model Chevrolet Cruze up front. It does look sharp and stylish, though.

Hate to say it but I was really hoping they wouldn't do this just so my car would keep a bit more value for those who are interested in a Hatch STI. Oh well, at least we will all have another AWD hatch to complain about (assuming we actually get one here in the US).

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/3A981EFD54FFBBF8CA257E8800078564

SUBARU Australia has added a motorsport-only version of the WRX STI to its local catalogue, becoming the only mainstream car-maker in Australia to officially offer a racing car direct to the public.

Known as the WRX STI NR4, the four-door sedan is essentially a stripped-out version of the road-going STI, fitted with Subaru’s EJ20 2.0-litre turbocharged flat four as opposed to the road-going car’s 2.5-litre version.

“These cars represent fantastic value for motorsport enthusiasts that want the amazing All-Wheel Drive advantage that has made WRX such a legend over the past 20 plus years,” said Subaru Australia managing director Nick Senior, who masterminded the company’s domination of the Australian rallying scene in the mid-1990s.

Eighteen-inch Enkei rims, Brembo brakes and a stock interior that’s designed to be replaced with racing equipment are supplied with the car, which will be priced from $38,000, including GST, and shipped to Australia via Port Kembla in New South Wales.

It is not a turn-key racing car as such; the NR4 allows potential competitors to buy a ‘donor’ car from the factory for conversion into a rally or circuit car, without having to pay unnecessary registration and taxes.

Subaru Australia is planning to assist potential customers prepare the car for motorsport by offering an approved roll cage that can be fitted at the factory prior to delivery.

It is also working with its New Zealand-based motorsport partner, Possum Bourne Motorsport, to prepare a range of upgrades and modifications to meet the category requirements of both gravel and tarmac motorsport.

The NR4 regulations have replaced Group N4 and R4 rules in international rallying. The WRX can also be prepped for use in WRC2 events, as well as production-based circuit racing events such as the Bathurst 12 Hour and the Australian Production Car Championship.

Subaru Australia has imported ten vehicles for sale, with several reportedly purchased for use in the Australian Rally Championship. The company walked away from the ARC in 2005, after claiming ten consecutive championships as a works team in partnership with Possum Bourne Motorsport

wrx_nr4_large.jpg

wrx_nr4_main.jpg

SVX
The Impreza has always been a hatch, though. The Legacy is the wagon Subaru.

The first two gens had the separate rear window, giving the wagon appearance in a halfway size over a conventional hatch. The last one and this one are just straight hatchbacks.

VXR
The first two gens had the separate rear window, giving the wagon appearance in a halfway size over a conventional hatch. The last one and this one are just straight hatchbacks.

I disagree. The short rear overhang always gave it the hatch appearance.

The first and second gen do not look like your typical Euro hatch, whereas the later 2 do. The first two were not strictly wagons in the literal sense, but they didn't have the generic euro hatch profile, either. Living in Europe, I'm well stocked for generic hatchbacks.

VXR
The first and second gen do not look like your typical Euro hatch, whereas the later 2 do. The first two were not strictly wagons in the literal sense, but they didn't have the generic euro hatch profile, either. Living in Europe, I'm well stocked for generic hatchbacks.

Since when did the Europeans dictate what a hatchback looks like?

I've always considered a hatchback a smaller wagon/estate, thus meaning the Impreza being the hatch and the Legacy/Levorg being the wagon/estate.

The first two generations have a window as their D-pillar. The doors are frameless, therefore the C-pillar is separate from D-pillar.

As for Europe and their position in the hatchback market, hatchbacks sell in the region of 300k a year in the UK market alone. That's our biggest selling body style.

VXR
The first two generations have a window as their D-pillar. The doors are frameless, therefore the C-pillar is separate from D-pillar.

As for Europe and their position in the hatchback market, hatchbacks sell in the region of 300k a year in the UK market alone. That's our biggest selling body style.

Seems like I was wrong all along then. It's a common debate from research, with some people stating it's a wagon and others stating it as a hatch, with Wikipedia even stating it was a hatch. But, from that I also found Subaru themselves stating it was a 'sports wagon', which is really all that needs to be said. I guess I've always put it as a hatch due to the more curved top arc and shorter rear cargo space, compared to something such as a Legacy which has a sharper arc and longer overhang.

Apologies. 👍

Eh, I was way too uptight about it anyway. Sorry if my posts came across as confrontational. 👍

I've always personally liked the Impreza/WRX as a non-hatchback or non-wagon (or non-estate car) model. So wouldn't be bummed not seeing a hatchback WRX. This is still a great-looking car. Best looking Impreza/WRX since 2003.

So why the EJ20 instead of the EJ25? Weight savings?

Forged engine components, can take a lot more power than the EJ25 can without having to beef up the internals.

It's also kind of like why Subaru stuck with the EJ25 instead of the FA20DIT: more aftermarket. Every Subie tuner under the sun knows the EJ20's potential. Though that being said, apparently the FA20DIT also has forged components now and since it's now getting traction for aftermarket parts it's only a matter of time before they refresh the STi to include that engine.

Also they would be able to use the EJ20 since this is a model that cannot be registered on Australian roads, a lot like the original Type-RA STis. So the JDM EJ20 is a more powerful and considerably stronger motor but because it doesn't pass emissions laws it can't be registered here which is why it's in this "motorsports" trim.

First time that I'm aware of that the 2.0L was sold outside of Japan.

We got a detuned (because we don't have wide access to 100 octane) version of the EJ205/7 from the Liberty RS right up until 2006 WRX/STi (Hawkeye/Pignose).

Last edited:
I saw a blue WRX earlier today. What a sick car! This is really the only rally beast you can get in the States with the Lancer soon to be phased out. Subaru did a great job styling this car. But still to me, the loveliest Impreza/WRX is the 2003 model. The latest Impreza/WRX is a solid second among the various models.

This WRX S207 looks pretty mean! Or for some people, "boy racer." The car is anything but soft. I don't fancy this car in yellow, though. I prefer almost all Subaru models in WR Blue Mica, some other blue, or sometimes silver.

This WRX S207 looks pretty mean!
The JDM grille certainly helps make it look a lot nicer. See for example:

North American grille:

STI-01.jpg

Everywhere else grille:

467ba5fb34621849d4e772afd4f5a9c2.jpg

The body kit on the S207 also helps. It'd be cool if they could sell it here with the S207 kit.

Back