2016 Audi R8

• Thread starter GTboyz
  • 272 comments
No, what sucks is that China let something like this get way too far out of hand, and they are now scrapping whatever idea it is they manage to create to help the smog problem.

It's no different than the varying and significant taxes on vehicles with engines over a certain displacement in many parts of Europe, Japan, and elsewhere.

Spy pics of the new R8 Spyder undisguised

New-Audi-R8-Spyder-II-3.jpg

New-Audi-R8-Spyder-II-4.jpg
New-Audi-R8-Spyder-II-6.jpg
New-Audi-R8-Spyder-II-10.jpg

Today's Audi R8 road car is more aggressive than the previous model. If there was another re-design of the R8, I would somewhat like to see a combination of this R8's aggression with the previous R8's elegance. I surely love the racing variants of this car. This is a fabulous car no matter how you look at it.

Aside from the refreshed corporate front and rear end detailing and the Exige-like intake scoop, it looks exactly the same as the outgoing model. As a completely new car, Audi have a great job of making the 2nd gen R8 look like a mild refresh of the original model.

I actually think the R8 road car and the NSX would make for great competition. It seems too easy to easily discredit the NSX up against the R8, but the two do make decent competition.

There are also rumours of a R8 with the 2.5L 5cyl engine from the TTRS/RS3

Crossing my fingers for that one!

It's not really VWG's thing to re-engineer a transverse/gearbox engine to fit in longitudinally, not when they do so much to simplify the production processes in the first place So i'd be surprised if this was to happen.

Last edited:
NEIN! :( What would that mean for the Huracan?! :scared:
At best, the R8 will just be discontinued. The R8's platform was originally built for the Huracan first, but refined a bit for Audi's market. If the R8 is dropped, Audi will still likely continue producing the body at the Quattro GmbH facility & the engine in Hungary just as they were before the R8 was released. Lamborghini is currently, in its most successful state ever & VAG is likely in no position to affect the brand it has single handedly turn around.

Lamborghini is currently, in its most successful state ever & VAG is likely in no position to affect the brand it has single handedly turn around.

I can't see Lamborghini staying profitable - or relevant as a brand, in the long run with just the headlining Aventador (or it's replacement) and the upcoming Urus.

Dunno, people didn't expect the Cayenne to do so well. Now the Macan is holding its own. Lqmbo come out with CUV. That and the Urus could become the bread and butter models.

I can't see Lamborghini staying profitable - or relevant as a brand, in the long run with just the headlining Aventador (or it's replacement) and the upcoming Urus.
The Huracan isn't going anywhere just because R8 production could suddenly stop.

Edit* If Lamborghini could remain relevant through the 90's with a company like Chrysler/Mycom at the helm with under 4,000 Diablos made in an 11-year time span, Lamborghini will have nothing to fear with 5,000+ Aventadors in a 4-year span. They're hanging around 1,100 units per year.

Last edited:
The Huracan isn't going anywhere just because R8 production could suddenly stop.

Edit* If Lamborghini could remain relevant through the 90's with a company like Chrysler/Mycom at the helm with under 4,000 Diablos made in an 11-year time span, Lamborghini will have nothing to fear with 5,000+ Aventadors in a 4-year span. They're hanging around 1,100 units per year.

What i'm saying is that Lamborghini won't go without a Gallardo/Huracan sized car in their line-up. I think if Audi do drop the R8, which i can't see as it's been a great halo car for them, then i'd think Lamborghini would either carry on developing that platform by themselves, or perhaps go down the McLaren route of one-platform-fits-all for their future V12 and V8 sized cars. They've invested heavily in CF production, so if Audi cease producing that platform back in the motherland, perhaps an in-house CF chassis can be utilised by both the Aventador and Huracan replacements?

What i'm saying is that Lamborghini won't go without a Gallardo/Huracan sized car in their line-up. I think if Audi do drop the R8, which i can't see as it's been a great halo car for them, then i'd think Lamborghini would either carry on developing that platform by themselves, or perhaps go down the McLaren route of one-platform-fits-all for their future V12 and V8 sized cars. They've invested heavily in CF production, so if Audi cease producing that platform back in the motherland, perhaps an in-house CF chassis can be utilised by both the Aventador and Huracan replacements?
I think they will continue to separate them. By this point, the V12 has become more of a "GT" esque model that has plenty of track capability, but really finds itself more comfortable on a highway where as the V10 has been the best of both worlds. I think trying to go the McLaren route that allows either engine configuration will also hamper the design language the big V12s like to flaunt.

I think Lamborghini prefers to let each model represent itself uniquely, imo.

Back