2016 Audi R8

• Thread starter GTboyz
  • 272 comments
"transmitted to the road through a seven-speed dual clutch transmission"

Does this mean that the gated shifter is now extinct? :guilty:

2011-audi-r8-42-spyder-shifter-photo-416617-s-1280x782.jpg

It's pretty much gone since the Gen 2 R8 and the Huracan will be sharing more technology than the first gen R8 and Gallardo.

Overstyled is what i'm thinking, a bit a general problem with many modern cars as they are afraid of radically changing a previous design which was already optimum, so they add an extra line and corner here and there which destroys it's elegance.
bingo... my earlier point in the thread.

but stated a lot better.

Not digging it. I never was really a big R8 fan to begin with but the sleeker previous model is much better looking in my opinion.

I think Audi has encountered the same problem they did with the TT. How do you produce a successor? The first gen TT and Audi R8 were both very striking, innovative and design-first cars. Both of them were mostly unchanged versions of show stopping concept cars, as below. How do you keep that momentum with each subsequent generation? Do you risk killing it by changing the look completely, or do you evolve it slowly to keep it fresh but still true to its roots. Audi has obviously done the latter with both the TT and the R8. What they should do (from an idealistic designer position) is not continue them. Make something else. Forge a new direction. But that's no good for the balance sheet....so we get this. It looks fine, I guess. I was never a huge fan of the first one, but I can't really say it looks worse or better...sort of the same.

1995 Audi TT Concept
1995_Audi_TT_Concept_01.jpg

2003 Audi Le Mans quattro Concept
Audi-LeMans-Quattro-03.jpg

I feel in both cases, the origin of the design and the rather direct translation is what made the original TT and R8 special. Each generation seems to further dilute the original concept. Audi, let's have a couple of new concepts. The TT is TWENTY years old!

Though not as elegant as the previous R8, I actually like this newer R8. I am not one to suggest edginess, but I do adore the meaner lines and accents of the new R8. It looks sharper. Me gusta.

I don't love the road car's face and I think the race car's is hideous. The original road car had a pretty yet aggressive, non-traditional face. I loved how the front end was basically separated into 3 large sections, two of which happened to have headlights inside them. The new car doesn't pull of that look at all. It's lost the prettiness. I think this is a big deal because the original R8's face was exceptionally unique. I also don't like that they got rid of the large contrasting body section which was another defining characteristic.

No V8 for the new R8
Hollerweger had one other bit of news surrounding the Audi R8, that a V-8 will not be available for the car. It came as a bit of a surprise that the new R8 launched with the V-10 and now we know why. "We have no interest in a V-8," Hollerweger said. He also indicated that the take rate for the eight-cylinder was low and that interest in the "iconic" V-10 far outstripped expectations in the first-gen car.
Automobile mag.

Never really like the V8..... Not sure why anyone would want one when you could have this...

Well, people who drove them (now there's a thought) argued the V8 was a sweeter drive because of the reduced weight. This praise was especially evident when testers drove the cabrio versions.

Well, people who drove them (now there's a thought) argued the V8 was a sweeter drive because of the reduced weight. This praise was especially evident when testers drove the cabrio versions.
I can't compare them... I've only driven the V8 (Audi Experience) but I have heard the V10 IRL and prefer that one solely on the sound.
Not much of a fan either on their convertibles/cabrio models..

lol... I was driving to class and had my window down, saw the V10 to my left turning right (I was about to turn left onto another road [all this is backwards for you most likely]) and heard him go through the gears...

I wanted to skip class and talk to the guy soooooo bad.
Should have, all Audi R8 drivers are trust worthy and nice people. They have to be, they bought an R8 :lol:

Looking back at those latest pictures, I think Audi went way too far with the race car's design. The current R8 LMS GT3 has a smooth shape all around. I can still see that design in the new car, notably in the roofline, but overall, the shape is too angular. With all of these angles, it's difficult to tell where our attention is supposed to be drawn towards. The human eye is not used to sharp lines. It prefers rounded shapes. When Lamborghini unveils their latest supercar, it normally works because it's also in their design language (I personally dislike the Veneno due to it's obscene amount of jagged edges). Most cars by Audi do not have those sharp lines.

Back