2016 Formula 1 Großer Preis von Deutschland

Also heard from Will about how there's a rumor of Mercedes pulling out of Formula 1 (as a constructor I'd assume) after 2018 and that's the reason why Lewis and Nico are only signed up to the end of 2018. Probably just rumor mill garbage but, its Will so I don't know.

As unlikely as it is as palm trees sprouting out of Death Valley, I'd like to see them return to Le Mans.

This is terrible. It may be in poor taste to say this but if Button can't race it'd be great to see Vamdoorne back.
Still alive
Turns out it was a piece of braking material that must have gotten through one of the vents in his helmet. When the story broke, Ant Davidson speculated that it might be something of the like; he said that he once had a piece of carbon fibre do just that. It's more painful and irritating than it is dangerous enough to pose a threat to a driver's health and well-being, but I suppose that if left unchecked, it could scratch the cornea, and that's never fun.

Still, Button has been given a clean bill of health to race.

I'm still struggling to take on board that track limits are no longer going to be penalised. That's one of the stupidest decisions they've made for a long while.

But at least it means Vettel will be happy.

This is the FIA we're talking about, where they do something good and something quite stupid all at the same time. I'm not surprised.

This is the FIA we're talking about, where they do something good and something quite stupid all at the same time. I'm not surprised.
I still reckon (and maybe hope) that they're trialling systems with a view to introducing one uniform system at all circuits from 2017. But they have to test it first, and since the baguette kerbs proved unpopular in Austria, they've move on to electronic monitoring. In Hungary, there was a tolerance of twenty centimetres; here, there's apparently no tolerance.

Why don't they just have a strip of grass or astroturf around the circuit just outside the kerbs? If the driver does mess up there's still run off, but if you try to cheat you'll spin out or get dirty tyres.
Or the FIA could just enforce track limits like they used to.

Stewards are investigating Hamilton over an unsafe pit release - Grosjean was forced to stop in the lane to avoid contact; it looked like Hamilton let the car go into anti-stall by mistake. If he gets a reprimand, it means a ten-place grid penalty.

Why don't they just have a strip of grass or astroturf around the circuit just outside the kerbs? If the driver does mess up there's still run off, but if you try to cheat you'll spin out or get dirty tyres.

Apparently easy and simple solutions aren't welcome in F1.

Why don't they just have a strip of grass or astroturf around the circuit just outside the kerbs?
Because cars going over it rips it up. We've seen the downforce dislodge manhole covers before; astroturf doesn't stand a chance. And once it's loose, it's a fiddly repair job, which means a lengthy safety car period or red flag.

Because cars going over it rips it up. We've seen the downforce dislodge manhole covers before; astroturf doesn't stand a chance. And once it's loose, it's a fiddly repair job, which means a lengthy safety car period or red flag.
Reminds me of COTA in 2014.

The FIA should just do what the FIA do best and be utterly draconian for no real reason - give the drivers one warning, then instant disqualification.

The FIA should just do what the FIA do best and be utterly draconian for no real reason - give the drivers one warning, then instant disqualification.
Only after the race ends.

Or the FIA could just enforce track limits like they used to.
Astroturf has grip so drivers use it. Then it gets torn up. Grass won't grow next to concrete kerbs. It dies back to dirt, then when it rains you get mud on the track.

One warning then a driver through, stop go, 10 second stop go and 30 second stop go then disqualification for using a Kerb on Entry or Apex. Instant disqualification for using a kerb on exit.

Fair penalty in my opinion.A driver shouldn't be punished when he is told to go by his team as he cant see out of a garage
Drivers get penalties for it all the time. An unsafe release in the race gets a drive-through, and the driver can't see out of his pit box.

What bothered me was that as soon as Sky started discussing the possibility of a penalty, Tweets started rolling in. There was one in particular about fans losing interest in the sport if Hamilton got a penalty which I think was just plain wrong. I sincerely hope that the stewards aren't responding to incidents based on the possible reactions of fans, even if they only represent a minority. I think that we can all agree that this would be a very, very bad thing for the sport.

Drivers get penalties for it all the time. An unsafe release in the race gets a drive-through, and the driver can't see out of his pit box.

It should be the team getting penalties like they did in this instance. Especially during pit stops with the amount of bodies and equipment around a car during a pit stop it would be nigh on impossible for a driver to see another car coming once released. I think the 1st one should be a fine then maybe a loss of constructers points.

I read it, but I don't understand, what's exactly the connection between allowing radio transmissions and leaving track limits?

And does this mean the drivers can use any and all shortcuts as they see fit??

And we'll get "use this gear, break now and use 10% more throttle through that corner" again?

That (and the missing engine sounds) was what made me stop watching F1 a few years ago... I seriously hope that's not the case again (driver "coaching").

Very confusing decisions...

What bothered me was that as soon as Sky started discussing the possibility of a penalty, Tweets started rolling in. There was one in particular about fans losing interest in the sport if Hamilton got a penalty which I think was just plain wrong. I sincerely hope that the stewards aren't responding to incidents based on the possible reactions of fans, even if they only represent a minority. I think that we can all agree that this would be a very, very bad thing for the sport.
In a race the driver getting the penalty hurts the TEAM as a whole. In practice fining the team is the only way to hurt the TEAM. In neither case has the DRIVER done anything wrong. They are told to go - they go.

From what I just heard on Sky it sounds like that some or all of the teams are dictating the rule changes regarding track limits which is totally wrong. It's about time someone bashed all the teams and FIA's heads together until they agreed on a set of uniform rules which don't have loopholes in them.

Latest Posts

Back