• 1,457 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Rotch

Aluminium Overcast
Staff Emeritus
Australia
Down under
For all motorcycle racing related discussion for the 2014 season....

Gresini have released pics of their new MotoGP bikes today:

AU1138335.jpg

And Yamaha had their a few weeks ago too:

PA1295202.jpg

I've been watching the interviews from the past 3 days of testing in Malaysia and I must say I'm very eager to see how everyone will enter the first race in March.

Marquez is blowing everyone away again by setting the best times on all three days of testing.
Rossi looks like he's ready for a competitive comeback.
Even the satelite and open class bikes from Honda and Yamaha look like they will be running with less of a disadvantage than last year.
Only Ducati seem like they have A LOT to work on still, although the riders, Dovi and Cal, seem very positive...

I do hate to burst your bubble @Mike Rotch, but this is the 2014 Yamaha. The livery you posted was 2013's.

46-rossi_preview_big.jpg

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to various Motorcycle championships this year, none moreso than World Superbikes, with a confirmed 27 entries and 9 different motorcycle manufacturers, it really is looking like the season to watch.

Sadly, I probably won't be watching as much MotoGP as I would like due to the TV deal that has taken free-to-air coverage away completely in the UK. Which means that the aforementioned WSBK championship as well as BSB will be taking up most of my time, rightly so as it normally produces the best on-track racing bar Moto2 in my honest opinion.

Tom
Sadly, I probably won't be watching as much MotoGP as I would like due to the TV deal that has taken free-to-air coverage away completely in the UK. Which means that the aforementioned WSBK championship as well as BSB will be taking up most of my time, rightly so as it normally produces the best on-track racing bar Moto2 in my honest opinion.
Normally I watched the MotoGP on BBC as well. This year we had to come up with something.
And we did it like this, split a videopass on a shared account on MotoGP.com with friends. ;)

Normally I watched the MotoGP on BBC as well. This year we had to come up with something.
And we did it like this, split a videopass on a shared account on MotoGP.com with friends. ;)

I did seriously consider doing something similar, but the fact that I want to learn to drive seems to be putting pay to that.

Tom
I did seriously consider doing something similar, but the fact that I want to learn to drive seems to be putting pay to that.
A full season, multi screen video pass only costs me around 20€.
+ I'm enjoying some past classics now as I can watch all races from 1992 again. As well as all current post testing interviews. It's really worth the money but I do recommend doing this with people you really trust.

Reactions: Tom
I really loved that time table with just MM and VR on 1m59s at Jerez.

Can't wait for the kick off! Clash of titans... (MM, JL & VR)

most definitely looking forwards to the start of the 2014 wsbk and motogp season. If anything it should be interesting to see how Team EBR does in their debut season and also I'm keeping on eye on Josh Herrin and Karel Hanika in the lower classes.

It would be a shame if Honda left but I do agree with them.
Dorna is trying to make WSBK from MotoGP.
Like we discussed in the 2013 thread, MotoGP stands for prototype racing. Control ECU's stops research to improve on them.

That is true, but it's a bit of a catch-22. Lots of research means high cost which means less manufacturers....

It would be a shame if Honda left but I do agree with them.
Dorna is trying to make WSBK from MotoGP.
Like we discussed in the 2013 thread, MotoGP stands for prototype racing. Control ECU's stops research to improve on them.
So what about formula 1. Levelling the playing field in a cost controlled era of motorsport is crucial for the top series survival.

The rules for WSB should be more akin to superstock plus. Modified bikes with off the shelf parts.

Motogp should be here is an engine build yourself a chassis and go racing. Entice chassis builders like Harris back to the sport and motogp has a viable future, having honda spending huge sums of money is stupid.

Book-Mark Post'

It's almost that time again, hello fellas this is my 3rd session with you guys now! 👍

In
For all motorcycle racing related discussion for the 2014 season....

Gresini have released pics of their new MotoGP bikes today:

AU1138335.jpg

And Yamaha had their a few weeks ago too:

PA1295202.jpg
i believe that is last yrs bikes for Yamaha...the 2014s have more white on them

Like Tom already stated in the third post. ;)

Yeah saw that after I posted...
Looking fwd to the next test to see if VR will keep running at the sharp end
And hope The Honda open class riders get some engine upgrades to make up the pwr deficiency

Rumour has it Ducati are considering running the open class as well, since they get an extra few litres of fuel per race and engines throughout the year. Any thoughts on this guys? I mean it does seem like they would hopefully improve but it feels to me like a last resort and more to the point they're giving up on winning the championship already. Again, just a rumour.

Rumour has it Ducati are considering running the open class as well, since they get an extra few litres of fuel per race and engines throughout the year. Any thoughts on this guys? I mean it does seem like they would hopefully improve but it feels to me like a last resort and more to the point they're giving up on winning the championship already. Again, just a rumour.

It would certainly make sense, given the development freeze on Factory bikes that's coming into place. There's nothing stopping them reverting back in 2015.

It's not just a rumour.
If you have a videopass on motogp.com you can watch following vid (http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/latest+videos#The+OffSeason+Show+Episode+8) and the reporter there is saying just the same.

Considering the new ducati corse boss is the ex aprilia boss. He will look at every avenue to make the bike better. Ducati being open class it will justify dornas decision to create the class. by the end of the year i expect the bikes to be closer to the front but not abke.to win this year. Next year well anything could happen

Maverick Viñales is the next big thing after Marquez: You heard it here first :D Already setting top times in Moto2 class practices after winning the Moto3 class championship last season. This kid is winning races since his very first days.

Maverick Viñales is the next big thing after Marquez: You heard it here first :D Already setting top times in Moto2 class practices after winning the Moto3 class championship last season. This kid is winning races since his very first days.

The problem about these 'unofficial' pre-season tests, is that everbody until the first official one at Jerez is running a different specification engine. So whilst most teams are running ex-race CBR600RR engines, some may be running it World Supersport specification to try and get an idea of how much top end they will have by the time all of the official engines for the season are allocated in the pre-season Jerez test.

The problem with this of course means that it is very difficult to gauge a true meaning of each riders' pace. So, I wouldn't read too much into the times just yet.

Tom
The problem about these 'unofficial' pre-season tests, is that everbody until the first official one at Jerez is running a different specification engine. So whilst most teams are running ex-race CBR600RR engines, some may be running it World Supersport specification to try and get an idea of how much top end they will have by the time all of the official engines for the season are allocated in the pre-season Jerez test.

The problem with this of course means that it is very difficult to gauge a true meaning of each riders' pace. So, I wouldn't read too much into the times just yet.
Maverick's still a beast tho. Wait and see

No doubt, he's adapted rather well unsurprisingly, I just hope that he is able to play it cool and not let his teenage angst get the better of him.

He is a promising talent, but was pretty much out ridden in any 3 way battle with Salom and Rins last year. That he lucked into the title is being by virtue of being consistent, but his race craft was lacking last year.

Moto2 this year will be a very interesting test for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back