2017 MotoGP/WSBK/Road Racing ThreadMotorbikes 

• Thread starter adamp93
  • 174 comments
News! Crutchlow is staying with LCR for 2 years but now has a full factory contract so in theory should get upgrades at the same time as the Repsol boys.
Also, to avoid the F1 this weekend the big race is between the moto 3 and 2 this Sunday.

Why? He'll just whinge about them.
I think that's part of the reason. He's never been the pr robot that factory riders are expected to be (especially if you watch the UK coverage) so he can stick to his normal life, speak his mind and get a better bike. While the team don't have to pay him they can get a second bike on the grid, it seems like everyone's a winner.

He's never been the pr robot that factory riders are expected to be (especially if you watch the UK coverage) so he can stick to his normal life, speak his mind and get a better bike.
I don't think he's the guy who says what other riders are thinking but cannot say it themselves. He's got more in common with Kris Meeke than anything else - "if at first you don't succeed, have a whinge about it".

Good weekend all around. Not that I'd expect anything less from Assen.

Bendsneyder's non-classification was a load of bull:censored: though. I believe it was Kent who did get a result despite crossing the line while falling in Argentina a few years back - who cares anyway if someone crashes their way across the line, considering they still made it?

Good weekend all around. Not that I'd expect anything less from Assen.

Bendsneyder's non-classification was a load of bull:censored: though. I believe it was Kent who did get a result despite crossing the line while falling in Argentina a few years back - who cares anyway if someone crashes their way across the line, considering they still made it?
Rules are rules unfortunately, but I think the rider should still be classified if they can get back to the pits and race direction can adjust the results if necessary. I think you're talking about Nicky Ajo who did it a few years back, that was also Assen.

Rules are rules unfortunately, but I think the rider should still be classified if they can get back to the pits and race direction can adjust the results if necessary. I think you're talking about Nicky Ajo who did it a few years back, that was also Assen.

And dumb rules like that one are meant to be questioned. No NASCAR driver ever got non-classified for wrecking their way over the line, nor did Christian Fittipaldi when he backflipped off his teammate's rear and brought the car home anyway.

Also, while I remember that one fairly well (saw it live, I think) it's not the same as what I referred to.

And dumb rules like that one are meant to be questioned. No NASCAR driver ever got non-classified for wrecking their way over the line, nor did Christian Fittipaldi when he backflipped off his teammate's rear and brought the car home anyway.
They're pretty different, you can argue that you're still in control of a car while you're inside it but fall off a bike and obviously it's doing it's own thing.
Allowing people to be classified creates massive grey areas. If somebody crashes before the line and totals their bike they haven't finished, yet if it's after 99% of the race and the bike crosses the line it's ok? Sounds unfair to me before you think about what constitutes a bike, could only be a bit of debris.

Great race again yesterday...would have loved Folger to take the win...

Championship is unreal,still wide open after half the season!!

:)👍

Spy.

Championship is unreal,still wide open after half the season!!

:)👍

Spy.
It's been brilliant, even Pedrosa is still in it despite being 5th although he needs to be up the sharp end more often.
The other 2 classes look a little more decided with Mir being a class above at most places and Morbidelli having all his Christmas's come yesterday.

It's been a while since any world championship racing but the Suzuka 8 hours is on tomorrow. It starts at 03:30 UK time and is all on Eurosport here. I believe there's a stream on the circuit website as well, not sure if it's free.
The Yamaha factory team of Nakasuga, Alex Lowes and Van Der Mark are on pole. 👍

The merry go round is up and running for 2018.
Nakagami to LCR Honda (24th grid spot).
Luthi will join Morbidelli at Marc VDS Honda.
Miller is going to Pramac Ducati.
Redding to Aprillia.
It currently leaves Rabat and Sam Lowes without a ride and the 2 Avintia Ducatis to be confirmed.

We're a man down in the title fight. Valentino has broken his tibia and fibula in a motocross accident so will most likely miss the next 2 races and me back for the 3 fly away rounds. Here's to a speedy recovery! 👍

Valentino has broken his tibia and fibula in a motocross accident so will most likely miss the next 2 races
source.gif

Used only for a trial run at this weekend's San Marino GP, this could be something we see more of come 2018: augmented reality helmets.

001.jpg

Despite looking a little bit like something you'd wear at the velodrome, the DAQRI Smart Helmet uses a series of cameras, alongside a software application created by Realmore, to create AR content so the mechanics can visualise certain parts of the bike via a rendered 3D model.

002.jpg

Not only can they see in real time the telemetric data of the temperature of water, oil and tyres, but they can make a checklist of the wear on certain parts and evaluate when they need to be replaced. The chief engineer can also communicate remotely with the mechanics (by displaying overlay on the helmet screen) about strategic information, such as the type of tyres to be fitted, how much fuel should be in the tank etc.

Perhaps the most innovative feature is a thermal imaging camera linked to the heads up display, allowing the crew to see hotspots on the bike in real time to help with identifying issues like leaks or blockages.

Last edited:
Back