2017 MotoGP/WSBK/Road Racing ThreadMotorbikes 

• Thread starter adamp93
  • 174 comments
The leg is painful, but in general I feel good.
motogp-italian-gp-2017-valentino-rossi-is-interviewed-by-guido-meda.jpg

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/rossi-losing-title-chance-hurts-more-than-injury-950446/

I never get tired of Marquez and his signature last-laps moves! Really wasn't a high action race until it got closer to the time it counts, and I definitely liked it that way.

I also can't recall the last time I saw a rider walk his bike across the line! It probably has happened it recent times, but not in my memory. I now also am reminded that the last points-paying-position is 15th, and not 10th like in F1. That is a plus too.

I never get tired of Marquez and his signature last-laps moves! Really wasn't a high action race until it got closer to the time it counts, and I definitely liked it that way.

You could tell for the last few laps that a move was coming: just sit back, find out the weaknesses of your opponent, make a pass when you know it will stick, then pull the pin and attack the track so they can't counter. No coincidence really that Marquez's last lap ended up being the fastest of the race.

I also can't recall the last time I saw a rider walk his bike across the line! It probably has happened it recent times, but not in my memory.

Yeah, that was unfortunate for Zarco. Looked like it either ran out of fuel, or there was a software glitch that meant the bike went into "safe mode" to save the engine.

I think the last time someone walked their bike home was Dovizioso last year in Argentina, as a result of the penultimate corner, last lap crash caused by then team-mate Iannone.

Speaking of which, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like he just gave up and parked it...

Last edited:
Speaking of which, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like he just gave up and parked it...
Dovi or Zarco? They were both classified in those races either way; Dovi 13th in Argentina and Zarco 15th today, both last place.
It seems really odd to run out of fuel in a wet race, the BT sport commentators claimed he crashed which would make more sense but it didn't look like there was any damage to him or the bike.

The race itself was pretty boring for this year's outrageous standards, I enjoyed seeing Lorenzo at the front for a while, in fact I think I was more disappointed when he crashed than he was! Shame Petrux couldn't hang on but it took a great display from Marquez to beat him. The championship is anyone's guess still and Moto 2 is getting close as well, I'm still baffled more people don't watch :lol:

I was referring to Iannone. Sorry if that wasn't clear. :indiff:
Oh right. He did give up, while claiming his suit was too tight causing arm pump. Pathetic if you ask me.
He has another year on his contract and it doesn't look like he even cares anymore, there's no shortage of riders who could do a decent job on that bike.

Doesn't matter what level it's at: a win's a win. Well done Ana. 👍

------------------------------

In other news, Rossi looks poised to make a call about whether he'll race this weekend in Aragon.

He rode a Yamaha R1M around Misano on Monday, but didn't get much mileage due to showers. Today he rode 20 laps during a 2-hour session in better conditions, and is set for a medical examination tomorrow to, and I quote:
"verify the positive rehabilitation progress experienced in today's session"
A decision will be made afterwards, with Michael van der Mark still set to stand in should Rossi decide to miss Aragon.

It would be amazing if Rossi can race this weekend but I'd feel for Van Der Mark. He got his first WSB podium on Yamaha last week so was in decent form. I personally think Rossi is already too far behind to win the championship and doesn't need to risk making the injury worse but who am I to question him?

Following up on what I said about Iannone, rumours abound that Dorna want Johnny Rea in Moto GP and the Suzuki may be the only factory bike available to him. Both parties have denied it but you'd think he'd jump at the chance and they would be quick to kick Iannone out given his form and attitude.

Valentino passed fit to ride this weekend, I imagine he'll give FP1 a go then decide, VdM will be there just in case.

The line up for 2018 is now complete with Simeon going to Avintia alongside Rabat. The same Xavier Simeon who is 21st in the Moto 2 championship with just 16 points.

Are they sure he broke his leg three weeks ago? :odd:

If he can finish inside the top 6, I'd call that a good weekend all round heading into the 3 week break prior to Japan and beyond.

Don't discount Marquez despite overcooking it in Q2: the guy's dynamite around Aragon... mind you, he's pretty much dynamite wherever he goes on a bike.

The guy just never ceases to amaze me. If it was Viñales or Marquez returning so quickly after that injury we'd be saying they're naive or immature. I can't wait for this race.

If it was Viñales or Marquez returning so quickly after that injury we'd be saying they're naive or immature.

We could very easily say the same for Rossi.

He's been lucky that the recovery speed of his leg injury has allowed him to get back on a bike so soon after the motocross crash. Heck, according to motomatters.com, he drove into the paddock and got out without any assistance.

Jump back to 2010, he missed 4 races and wasn't able to put weight on the leg for at least a week after surgery following the crash at Mugello. The processes and medications for such injuries have moved on a lot in 7 years.

So...when can we expect Rossi to admit to having an adamantium skeleton? :lol:

18 laps to go and Rossi has been very impressive so far. To stay in third at the start and move up to second shortly afterwards, 23 days after breaking his leg. :bowdown:

Let's see if he / the leg can last the distance.

Great race from the top 3, I think Lorenzo will probably win one of the last 4 races, they all suit either him or the bike. A heroic ride from Rossi but we expect that from him now.
As for moto 2, there were points for 5 rookies yesterday, Binder, Navarro, Bagnaia, Quartararo and Manzi. I suspect Binder will be a serious title contender next year.

Absolutely horrendous camera work in the Moto3 race.

The only people on screen during the last laps were Fenati (alone in the lead) and Mir (racing for irrelevant positions outside the points). Even the finish for 2nd place didn't get shown, as they were too busy showing the usual expressions in Fenati's garage.

Incredible racing in seriously tricky conditions! :eek::bowdown:

I found it really hard not to shout out in excitement in the early hours, but such was the calibre of what I was seeing I'm surprised I kept my composure.

This fight is far from over...

I've had a couple of thoughts since Sunday. Firstly, I think the Ducati is currently the best all round package; it's the only bike that consistently has more than one rider at the sharp end and none of them ever look like they're over riding the thing to get there. Secondly, while not his most visually spectacular, Marquez' save on the final lap was the best of his career.
Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot :lol:

Broc Parkes is in to replace Folger this weekend, expect Van Der Mark in Sepang after WSB in Jerez.

I've had a couple of thoughts since Sunday. Firstly, I think the Ducati is currently the best all round package; it's the only bike that consistently has more than one rider at the sharp end and none of them ever look like they're over riding the thing to get there.

It's probably not a bad assumption to make. Since the start of the season, the Ducati has looked like it can take better care of its tyres than the others, and, in the case of Catalunya, it can retain more performance towards the end better, especially in Dovizioso's hands. It's still the most powerful bike on the grid, but it's no longer munching through tyres like they're going out of fashion.

The rise of Ducati/Dovizioso can perhaps be equal in proportion to the fall from grace currently being experienced at Yamaha. Mercedes in F1 has been known to call the W08 a "diva" because of its fluctuating performance race-by-race - you could apply the same sort logic to the M1. What was once considered the most rider-friendly bike on the grid looks to have now become one of the most temperamental: its window of operation is so narrow that if the balance in setup is off by even a fraction, the riders (in the Movistar camp especially) might as well not bother thinking about a podium finish, let alone the win. And it seems to be getting worse...

The Honda seems to be somewhere in the middle: most of the riders can find the sweet spot fairly easy, but maintaining it during a race doesn't seem to be an easy affair. The only rider in the stable that can get the bike into a position to fight for the win consistently is Marquez: dancing on the edge of disaster at every corner, but totally in control of every aspect. If anyone else tries to do what he can, the bike will end up in the grandstand, metaphorically speaking.

Secondly, while not his most visually spectacular, Marquez' save on the final lap was the best of his career.
Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot :lol:

The fact he lost no time to Dovizioso at first was remarkable, but perhaps more indicative of the conditions: Dovi didn't suddenly jump the gap as a result. But then it is Marquez, so what do you expect?

Still think Marquez's save at Brno last year was the best.

Last edited:
Still think Marquez's save at Brno last year was the best.
That's better to watch but championships generally aren't decided in free practice.

You're definitely right about the bikes, the Ducati seems to be keeping it's tyres in check now, especially with the aero keeping the front down (which makes little sense when you think about it). Any problems with the Honda aren't noticeable in Marc's hands because he rides through them but Viñales doesn't look to have the confidence to push over the limit to try and bridge the gap.
I'd say the biggest factor in the rise of the Ducati is having 3 full factory bikes out there. They are essentially using Petrucci as a test rider at every race bringing so much data, then Pirro comes along to the Italian rounds as well, both of whom are much quicker than Nakasuga from Yamaha. For comparison, Crutchlow is on an older version of the RC213v and Zarco & Folger are on the 2016 factory Yamaha.

Quick shout out for Jack Miller, returning from a broken leg after 21 days (1 less than Rossi) to put it p3 in the dry yesterday. Incredible.

That's better to watch but championships generally aren't decided in free practice.

True.

I'd say the biggest factor in the rise of the Ducati is having 3 full factory bikes out there. They are essentially using Petrucci as a test rider at every race bringing so much data, then Pirro comes along to the Italian rounds as well, both of whom are much quicker than Nakasuga from Yamaha. For comparison, Crutchlow is on an older version of the RC213v and Zarco & Folger are on the 2016 factory Yamaha.

I think Ducati is a unique case. With testing being as limited as it is nowadays, the factory clearly needed as many hands to the pump, metaphorically speaking, to get to the bottom of the issues that have hindered them since... probably 2009 onwards towards the end of Stoner's tenure, and more publicly during Rossi's time there. There's perhaps still that little bit extra to find, but it's in far better shape than it's ever been.

And considering the rules that cover testing are being changed for 2018 onwards (3 days testing only at any track before a race weekend at said track, a ban on testing during the summer break, and only 2 pre-season tests instead of 3), you could argue Ducati picked a good time to maximise its track time during race weekends through numbers.

Back