2016 Russian Grand Prix

DC said on the C4 replay that Kvyat locked a wheel in turn one. He's a Redbull man so he's looking for an excuse for Kvyat.

If anything I think you're doing the reverse - looking for a reason for DC to say it. I watched that highlights package too and I thought DC was simply explaining what happened. Kvyat braked hard and locked up, it was still a mistake, I didn't feel DC tried to justify it?

Expecially when you have already damaged his car by a contact of YOUR fault, keep the distance to avoid another and be prepare for any possibilities. But no, he didn't.

Because he's paid to make places and it was his home GP, amongst the many reasons that spur an F1 driver forward.

He made mistakes in a concertina pack, that's for sure. He wouldn't be the first driver to punt another in Turn 1 and he certainly won't be the last.

Because he's paid to make places and it was his home GP, amongst the many reasons that spur an F1 driver forward.
Home GP + your seat at risk = also 2 of the main reason to not destroy your own and other drivers race. Because I don't know if you noticed, but he finished 15th, behind a Sauber... And also placing his own teammate, which was involved in the Vettel ramming, out of the points position (11th).

Home GP + your seat at risk = also 2 of the main reason to not destroy your own and other drivers race.

Obviously.

Because I don't know if you noticed, but he finished 15th, behind a Sauber... And also placing his own teammate, which was involved in the Vettel ramming, out of the points position (11th).

Snarkiness aside... that is how mistakes can work out.

Kvyat didn't have much time to react, but he didn't react at all, just kept going and hit him square in the back. From Vettel's T-Cam shot nothing looks wrong with what he did, the hit is a shock because there's no indication he's slowing down. To be fair to Daniil, hitting him where he did was meant only one car retired, as a sharp jink to the right probably would have taken Kvyat's wheel off, and maybe brought a Toro Rosso into the accident too, but I doubt that was a conscious decision, just a lack of concentration really.

The Spirit of Maldonado lives on. Smell the burnt rubber and the taste those carbon Fibre shards! - How about Kevin's pass?

So, I'm new to Formula 1, my only experience of it being the Bahrain Grand Prix of 2014, the Monaco Grand Prix of 2015, the 4 races this season so far, and F1 2011 of the Nintendo 3DS (Terrible game, don't buy). So I have a couple of questions.
  • How come only the top 10 finishers get points, and everyone from 11th on back gets nothing.
  • Why is Nico Rosberg winning every single race?

• How come only the top 10 finishers get points, and everyone from 11th on back gets nothing.
There is the open and overt points system that you see, and there is also the slightly more hidden and secretive money flow to the entrants based on finishing position from first to last.

Rosberg is winning every race because the Mercedes is the best car, and his teammate is having a very bad run of luck with respect to mechanical reliability and accidents on track.

There is the open and overt points system that you see, and there're is also the slightly more hidden and secretive money flow to the entrants based on finishing position from first to last.

Rosberg is winning every race because the Mercedes is the best car, and his teammate is having a very bad run of luck with respect to mechanical reliability and accidents on track.
Thanks. Oh! I forgot to ask this as well: During Sochi, the commentators kept talking about some sort of radio rule, where the teams can't give certain types of information to the drivers. What's that all about?

Thanks. Oh! I forgot to ask this as well: During Sochi, the commentators kept talking about some sort of radio rule, where the teams can't give certain types of information to the drivers. What's that all about?
In the past, teams could freely communicate all manner of information to the driver in order to aid and coach him into a better performance. Now that is restricted.

So, I'm new to Formula 1, my only experience of it being the Bahrain Grand Prix of 2014, the Monaco Grand Prix of 2015, the 4 races this season so far, and F1 2011 of the Nintendo 3DS (Terrible game, don't buy). So I have a couple of questions.
In regards to the first question, I think its mostly a tradition thing. It's the way F1 started, with the lower positions scoring no points. This was because attrition rates were extremely high, so often times there was only a handful of cars finishing. Scoring just a single World Chanpionshio point was a big deal. It makes the points significant, and keeps the points tally low, which is easier to keep track of and follow. The new system is the old system modernized to accommodate the lower attrition rate, which gives the low teams an actual chance to score some points.

For the second question, it's a combo of things. The Merc is by far the best package on the grid, mostly due to its power unit, which is the best on the grid. Since 2014, Merc has dominated F1, almost to a degree unheard of before. The previous two years were fights between Rosberg and his teamate Hamilton. Hamilton won the championship both times. This year, if you've been watching, Hamilton has had a horrible run of bad luck - on track incidents, and uncharacteristic reliability problems for his Mercedes.

Last edited:
I have to say, as an avid Hamilton supporter, his run of bad luck is disappointing but hopefully these second places will all add up nearer to the end of the season, (would love to see him win another WDC with Mercedes). I take my hat off to Nico. Mercedes has provided him with the machinery to win and he's doing exactly that. Sterling job. 👍

To be perfectly fair, almost all racing games has this on a public, unregulated lobbies.
Unfortunately for Kvyat, he can't blame it on online lag. I think he will struggle to be their next season.
I have to say, as an avid Hamilton supporter, his run of bad luck is disappointing but hopefully these second places will all add up nearer to the end of the season, (would love to see him win another WDC with Mercedes). I take my hat off to Nico. Mercedes has provided him with the machinery to win and he's doing exactly that. Sterling job. 👍
Good that he keeps on scoring points, could have been much worse position already. Incredible how much he travels. He has gone from Russia to London to New York back to London then to Greece and now on his way back again to London already. :crazy:

Roo
I love how there's so many people angry about Kvyat locking his brakes and colliding with Vettel, yet none of them seem bothered about Gutierrez locking his brakes and colliding with Haryanto and Hulkenberg...

That would be because he only ran into another driver once as far as I'm aware, if Kvyat had only hit Vettel once no one would really care.

My view of this is that I can forgive Kyvat for both collisions. Turn 1 can be attributed to a brake lockup. Turn 2 can be a sudden slowdown and not trying to swerve amlnd risk running into someone he hadn't noticed trying to pass on the outside. I could be wrong but I don't believe that he just hit Vettel twice because he is either out for him or not good enough to react.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motors...7/news-story/c5661502a6f79c720e8cca4e06e052ec

Not sure how legit this is, But it says Kvyat will talk to the team this week about his future at Red Bull.

On balance it seems credible that RB would want Verstroppen* in one of their seats for 2017, it also seems to make sense that it would be Kvyat making way for him. The only way for Kvyat to beat those odds this season would be to pull something stellar out of the bag... but as it is he hasn't, quite the opposite.

*Although I still see Sainz as a better all-rounder

How come only the top 10 finishers get points, and everyone from 11th on back gets nothing.
It's generally felt that awarding points to every single driver who finishes cheapens the value of the points. As has been alluded to, prize money at the end of the year is awarded based on the teams' finishing positions in the World Constructors' Championship, so points are incredibly valuable - even for smaller teams, who may only score every few races.

During Sochi, the commentators kept talking about some sort of radio rule, where the teams can't give certain types of information to the drivers. What's that all about?
Modern Formula One cars are incredibly complex. In addition to the team, there is an entire unit of engineers at the team factory monitoting and managing the car's performance. This resulted in teams constantly passing information on to their drivers to make sure that the car was always operating at the optimal level. However, it was felt that there was too much "driver coaching" - engineers driving the car by proxy - and that this took the emphasis off the driver. The radio communication ban was introduced to try and countermand this and essentially put the driver's performance and final result back into their hands.

Or it is Lewis who is the idiot.
It's true he's not the same, personality wise, as many other drivers, and he's not even the same as he was last year. That doesn't mean he's an idiot - that's taking it too far. But he is different. The rules are different. Like no coaching over the radio. I was amused earlier this season when Lewis asked, "How do I turn off the alarm!?"

Dear idiot Lewis Hamilton fans,

Congratulations on sinking to a new low. Because of your downright stupidity, you have successfully ruined it for everyone.

Lots of love,

The fans of Formula One with common sense.

Silly conspiracy theories happen all the time in F1, from lots of different people/fans.

But please tell us again how much you dislike Hamilton, his fans and any media personnel that mention him. I look forward to next week's race thread, where you have a fresh opportunity to play your broken record.

But please tell us again how much you dislike Hamilton, his fans and any media personnel that mention him.
First, show me where I directed my post towards towards everyone remotely connected to Hamilton, and not just the sub-set of fans sprouting crackpot conspiracy theories because they can't stand the way he isn't winning everything as they feel that he rightfully should.

You wonder why I don't care for Hamilton or his fans, and then you post nonsense like thism

TBH @prisonermonkeys there's rarely a race weekend that goes by, without you trotting out something negative relating to Hamilton or something to do with his fans. It really does start to sound like a broken record. We get that you don't like some of his fans, or the way he (Hamilton) conducts himself, but is there really a need to keep taking a pop?

When was the last time a team needed to respond in writing to unfounded accusations that they were deliberately sabotaging (or at least failing to support) one of their drivers for the sake of the other based on little more than that driver's failure to perform as expected? As far as I know, this is completely unprecedented and it is embarrassing for the sport. The closest situation that I can think of was accusations of sabotage directed at Mercedes after the 2014 German and Hungarian Grands Prix following mechanical failures that affected Lewis Hamilton and am I the only one noticing a pattern here?

There's nothing embarrassing about it really. Mercedes could have chose not to address the accusation if they wanted, but they're a nice team and wanted to nip all the nonsense in the bud. So well done to them. I think people (like yourself) want to make a mountain out of a molehill, not unlike some of the Hamilton fans that started the conspiracy in the first place...

Back