2016 SuperGT ThreadTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Godarm
  • 343 comments
Here's a closeup of that magazine pic of the Lexus LC race car

CpFyBh5VMAEAVyM.jpg

There's some debate on if this is a gt3 or it's the gt500 mule. I can't read the Japanese text, but the tweet says the magazine calls it the gt500.

The idea that these fools send random road cars onto the track during the race and the flagging system is nothing more than a suggestion is so amateurish and dangerous it is embarrassing to watch.
Two questions:
  • Have you ever heard of intervention vehicles?
  • Are you aware of the extent of training the drivers undergo to deal with intervention vehicles being on track?
The system isn't exclusive to Super GT, and it's just about the most efficient way of dealing with stranded cars without throwing unnecessary SC periods. The VLN has has it implemented for years, and anyone who does cause an accident involving an intervention vehicle through negligence (driving like a plonker and losing control/veering into one) gets their license stripped off them. If it's a truly freak accident like suspension failure, then it can still happen under SC with marshals and stranded cars around, race completely neutralised or not.

Lexus really are going to make that car from Minority Report. Other than Honda making the first NSX, when Lexus brought forth the first SC400/SC300, I knew the future was now.

The aero rules are changing next year. Smaller splitter and diffuser and the rear free area bodywork is lower. So less dtm-look at the back.

Now that looks hot.

I heard the Fuji wing is the only wing allowed from now on? Honestly I think DTMs would look much better with wider rear wings. Forget all about that DRS malarky.

This has been a fantastic race. Forum Engineering car driving back into the gravel trap after being pulled out, 2 wide through 130R, the RLM commentators constantly mispronouncing Hatsune Miku and Wakos, and Juichi Wakisaka and the tractor driver dabbing.

I fell asleep last night so just now finished it. Really surprised there was no penalty on the ZENT car for that pass under yellow, but I assume shortly after when the AU car passed them going into the final chicane that was the ZENT car giving them back the position to avoid a penalty.

I fell asleep last night so just now finished it. Really surprised there was no penalty on the ZENT car for that pass under yellow, but I assume shortly after when the AU car passed them going into the final chicane that was the ZENT car giving them back the position to avoid a penalty.
No, the Cerumo car avoided penalty because the yellow flag didn't come out until after Tachikawa entered that zone, there was only a white flag waving at the time. (why there was no yellow there at the time is another issue altogether, that's poor marshaling)

As overtaking under yellow is a safety issue and not a sporting fairplay issue, you shouldn't be able to obviate a pending penalty by giving the place back.

No, the Cerumo car avoided penalty because the yellow flag didn't come out until after Tachikawa entered that zone, there was only a white flag waving at the time. (why there was no yellow there at the time is another issue altogether, that's poor marshaling)

As overtaking under yellow is a safety issue and not a sporting fairplay issue, you shouldn't be able to obviate a pending penalty by giving the place back.
Top left of the shot showing the pass I saw white and yellow flags waving. The NSX had been beached long before they got there, I would hope they didn't wait that long to grab a yellow flag.

Top left of the shot showing the pass I saw white and yellow flags waving. The NSX had been beached long before they got there, I would hope they didn't wait that long to grab a yellow flag.
I thought it was unclear whether the yellow flag was being waved at the time both cars passed that marshal's post, so I have no reason to question the stewards' decision. The yellow flag was clearly being waved during the overtake itself, but I don't think we can definitively say it was already being waved earlier from the camera shots provided.

I understand Toyota have money but, is the LC body going to take over from the RCF GT3 and 86 GT3 programs(not to mention the Prius as well)? Admittedly, not a bad way to get all your sports coupes(and a hybrid) into one series.

Back