2016 Toyota Tacoma

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 129 comments
Tacoma TRD Pro

2017-Toyota-Tacoma-TRD-28.jpg

2017-Toyota-Tacoma-TRD-10.jpg

So much want when it comes to that truck. Toyota really stepped it up and gave the PRO a proper off-road suspension and it should be really good in both desert running and along the trail. I'm a little disappointed in the tire selection, but OEM tires are almost always poor.

I'm fairly certain a Tacoma will be my next vehicle.

I've spent ten years driving my Celica and it's time to move on.

Surprisingly the Frontier is still selling quite well despite it's age. Don't expect a new one anytime soon though.

Not to bump this old post, but considering the huge price advantage the Frontier has over the GM twins and now the Toyota, I can't blame it for selling well. You get a lot of truck for the money with the Frontier, at the sacrifice of some modern amenities it seems. But most truck buyers in that niche would likely pass on those anyways.

Last edited:
Gotta wonder what this will do to the resale values on the old TRD Pro. I'd imagine a lot of dudes are looking to trade in ASAP.

Gotta wonder what this will do to the resale values on the old TRD Pro. I'd imagine a lot of dudes are looking to trade in ASAP.

Probably not a whole lot. Tacoma's, for whatever reason, have outstanding resale value even if they're old, out of date, and have a million miles on them.

Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread previously. Anyhow, I like the new Tacoma. It's a great looking mid-size pickup truck. I sort of think it looks better than the latest Tundra. I even seen a few of the new Tacomas on the road a few times. Cool truck.

I don't know how anyone could honestly look at themselves in the mirror every morning after buying a Tacoma. I would wash my face, go out to my garage with a gas can, douse the truck with fuel and light it up before hopping in the bed for a viking funeral.

What a total piece of crap. It's a TuRD alright. Can't see why you'd want one of these when you can buy a Colorado. The Chevy is just so much more comfortable.

I don't know how anyone could honestly look at themselves in the mirror every morning after buying a Tacoma. I would wash my face, go out to my garage with a gas can, douse the truck with fuel and light it up before hopping in the bed for a viking funeral.

What a total piece of crap. It's a TuRD alright. Can't see why you'd want one of these when you can buy a Colorado. The Chevy is just so much more comfortable.
The Colorado is indeed a very nice and good looking midsize truck!

Unfortunately, the Tacoma is a better product with better reputation and desire ability...

You cannot go wrong with either choices, but I would give the Tacoma an edge thanks to its proven reliability....

Not a fan of the Tacoma either, but having driven a new one I can say that they drive very nicely. Damn quiet inside too. They have to be doing something right when the truck becomes the #1 benchmark target for competitors...

If you actually want to go offroad at all, the Tacoma is really your only option when it comes to mid-sized trucks. The Colorado, while it has a good 4WD system, isn't designed to tackle any form of rough terrain with it's approach angles and low hanging bumpers.

And while the design is a bit hit or miss, it really is a quality truck.

Yes, it did seem well-suited for off-road. But why? It must be that people spend 50 grand on a truck just to drive it into mud. It's some weird uncivilized sado-masochism. I would never buy a Tacoma brand new like that.

Yes, it did seem well-suited for off-road. But why? It must be that people spend 50 grand on a truck just to drive it into mud. It's some weird uncivilized sado-masochism. I would never buy a Tacoma brand new like that.

The reason people buy new vs. used is because the Tacoma holds it value so well that many people don't see the point of buying a used truck when a new one is only a few thousand more. I mean here's an example: It's 2 model years older than my truck with 42,000 miles on it and isn't even the long bed, but it's only $4,000 less than my truck was brand new.

Also, while I'm sure you can get to $50,000 on building a Tacoma, I think the average is probably low $30's with a decent amount of kit on them. The TRD Pro will probably be closer to $50k but the only people that will buy that are those that don't understand you can build a more capable truck from a TRD Offroad Tacoma for less than half the price difference.

Like I said, the design is a bit hit or miss and I can understand why people think it's rather ugly, but past that I don't think the new Taco is a bad truck at all even if it is overpriced.

I must have gotten a bad impression from the loaded example they had on the show floor. It was pushing 50 grand, but it felt cheap like something pushing 20k on the inside. Maybe it's just the awful Toyota design, but the Chevy felt better in every respect. That's my judgment, short of actually driving them.

I'm guessing that snorkel will be like a $1000+ option. What's funny is the amount of people that will think they can ford a river that's 6 feet deep to because they have a snorkel and have zero idea what it's actually used for.

There's a part of me that is wondering if Toyota is going to even bother unveiling new vehicles or if they're just going to show off new TRD accessories.

Toyota sells snorkels for international models so I'm sure they have a good legal sense for what they have to do to avoid owners being idiots. It also helps that most Tacoma (especially, or at least hopefully) TRD Pro owners are enthusiasts.

(A snorkel does exactly what it's pictured doing).

On another note, I've decided that a Tacoma SR 4x4 Access cab is going to be my next vehicle and likely my first new vehicle. After reading about the 2.7 and the other vehicles it's installed in (vs the vehicles that share the V6), I have every faith in Toyota to give me a 350,000 mile vehicle. It's a shame they canned the 5spd MT though.

I originally wanted an Off-Road or Sport 4x4 MT, but the prices for those are excessive amd I may end up with more vehicle than I need. Real world mpg is better with the I4, hauling is legally better, 3500lb towing is satisfactory considering I tow nothing.

I would rather buy after market parts as I deem a need for them instead of paying for them up front and never using them.

(pardon typos, I hate touch screen phones)

This was their big debut? They switched the brand of shocks from Bilstein to Fox and added some accessories for the lineup? I wonder if they're still using Eibach springs with a TRD logo on them too (and a huge price bump)?

Also Rigid fog lights? Glad to see Toyota bought into that overpriced garbage. I guess they need to keep the bros happy some how.

The few Tacoma communities I'm apart of hate the thing so at least that didn't change.

This was their big debut? They switched the brand of shocks from Bilstein to Fox and added some accessories for the lineup? I wonder if they're still using Eibach springs with a TRD logo on them too (and a huge price bump)?

It might be easier to justify the price difference over the Off Road models by putting them on Fox's since Bilstein is fitted to those models and most car buyers may not know the difference.

It's also a good way to get cheap ink and advertising.

Also Rigid fog lights? Glad to see Toyota bought into that overpriced garbage. I guess they need to keep the bros happy some how.

The 3rd Gen Pro has had Rigid fogs since debut. Rigid and Baja Designs are popular brands in the lighting industry right now and a lot of Taco's feature Rigid's so why not?

The few Tacoma communities I'm apart of hate the thing so at least that didn't change.

As much as they hate 3rd Gens on the whole? Or as much as they hate the ZR2? I haven't seen too much vitriol on TacomaWorld, and a lot of members are excited about the snorkel as an alternative to ARB's unsightly aftermarket appendage.

On another note, I've decided that a Tacoma SR 4x4 Access cab is going to be my next vehicle and likely my first new vehicle. After reading about the 2.7 and the other vehicles it's installed in (vs the vehicles that share the V6), I have every faith in Toyota to give me a 350,000 mile vehicle. It's a shame they canned the 5spd MT though.

I originally wanted an Off-Road or Sport 4x4 MT, but the prices for those are excessive amd I may end up with more vehicle than I need. Real world mpg is better with the I4, hauling is legally better, 3500lb towing is satisfactory considering I tow nothing.

I would rather buy after market parts as I deem a need for them instead of paying for them up front and never using them.

(pardon typos, I hate touch screen phones)

I had an 2005 Prerunner with a 2.7 and 5 speed manual and currently have an 2008 Prerunner with a 4.0 V6 automatic and my dad has a 2017 Prerunner Limited with the 3.5 V6. The 2.7 got basically the same mileage as the 4.0 and the 3.5 gets better mileage than both. Real world mileage on the 2.7 will be around 18 mpg maaaaaybe 20 but probably not. The V6 is more of a pleasure to drive. The 3.5 real world is 23 mpg.

I had an 2005 Prerunner with a 2.7 and 5 speed manual and currently have an 2008 Prerunner with a 4.0 V6 automatic and my dad has a 2017 Prerunner Limited with the 3.5 V6. The 2.7 got basically the same mileage as the 4.0 and the 3.5 gets better mileage than both. Real world mileage on the 2.7 will be around 18 mpg maaaaaybe 20 but probably not. The V6 is more of a pleasure to drive. The 3.5 real world is 23 mpg.
Mileage will always vary depending on location and driving style. I have seen enough owners getting 23mpg out of their 2.7's to know that its at least possible with the right driving style.

Which makes the additional cost to upgrade to the V6 seem moot. Besides, I want the simpler, more rugged motor.

I always loved the N300, it's aggressive but not too aggressive. Quite an attractive truck would buy one tbh, however, a 4Runner would come first. :lol:

Back