2016 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 4,422 comments
There's just not enough demand for a race right now. At least, not enough demand to overcome the expense of shipping everything across the Pacific. Right now, the only practical way of setting up a race seems to be to pair up with an established event or series and run it as a support event. Indycar would probably be best, but the series is probably a little bit unstable at the moment.

There's just not enough demand for a race right now. At least, not enough demand to overcome the expense of shipping everything across the Pacific. Right now, the only practical way of setting up a race seems to be to pair up with an established event or series and run it as a support event. Indycar would probably be best, but the series is probably a little bit unstable at the moment.

Nascar at the Glen or Sonoma would be good options too,b

Indy's road course is 3.9km long though. If I remember correctly, doesn't V8SC have a 3.5km maximum rule outside of Bathurst?

I've not been to Laguna Seca but, that would be epic. Especially for television. The event would have to be alongside another event. Just like GTs at KLCity. Though, I'd prefer V8s trek to England or Germany first before Africa.

Last edited:
On another note, what does everyone think of HRT next year?

More of the same. However, JC qualifies and races hard. If he wasn't tripping over himself, he would have been dicing with Mostert for the title.

Laguna be a no due to residents who hate noise.

Laguna would also be epic, not sure if it meets the current FIA certification for safety though. Anyone know?

http://formulaspy.com/formula-1/formula-1-news/fia-release-updated-list-of-circuit-grading-14553

This update is as of June '15
Says the licence expired June this year. It's probably renewed if they have the WSBK and GT3 races there.

On another note, what does everyone think of HRT next year?

Hopefully more consistency from them. Walkinshaw will be much better off next year running just the two cars. The four car thing hasn't really worked for them since the HSV dealer team days.

More of the same. However, JC qualifies and races hard. If he wasn't tripping over himself, he would have been dicing with Mostert for the title.

http://formulaspy.com/formula-1/formula-1-news/fia-release-updated-list-of-circuit-grading-14553

This update is as of June '15
Says the licence expired June this year. It's probably renewed if they have the WSBK and GT3 races there.

Courtney also would've had more of a chance if he wasn't taken by a rogue navy helicopter haha :lol:

Courtney and Mostert both had good consistent results, before they were in those unlucky incidents. Scott Pye and Nick Percat im pretty sure missed rounds of the championship too, which didnt help their points

Courtney and Mostert both had good consistent results, before they were in those unlucky incidents. Scott Pye and Nick Percat im pretty sure missed rounds of the championship too, which didnt help their points

Scott missed one and Nick missed two, but with Scott driving a pretty undeveloped car for the first half of the year and Nick driving a pretty uncompetitive car for the whole year, they were never really going to get great results

If it was me I would want the V8s at Knock Hill with the BTCC Weekend.

Chances of that ever happening in real though are less then zero.

If it was me I would want the V8s at Knock Hill with the BTCC Weekend.

Chances of that ever happening in real though are less then zero.

Any British track including the highly overrated Silverstone would be grand, but highly unlikely, in fact any greater western European circuit would great,

Any British track including the highly overrated Silverstone would be grand, but highly unlikely, in fact any greater western European circuit would great,
It's a condition of the "international series" status that the championship does not hold any races in Europe. Istanbul Park is about as close as they will get.

It's a condition of the "international series" status that the championship does not hold any races in Europe. Istanbul Park is about as close as they will get.

I thought they could be anywhere in the world providing there isn't more then 4 international races in a calendar year

Tighter schedule next year. Might be tough to hold another "demonstration" race. Plus, I wonder if this B12H/V8SC deal could help V8s get into Europe.

Courtney and Mostert both had good consistent results, before they were in those unlucky incidents.

Even if he wasn't injured and didn't miss any events. I think Courtney would have finished 5th or 6th in the championship, at best. The HRT cars were far too inconsistent from race to race to be a serious threat.

Even if he wasn't injured and didn't miss any events. I think Courtney would have finished 5th or 6th in the championship, at best. The HRT cars were far too inconsistent from race to race to be a serious threat.

A little bit true but, Sandown and SMP. Jack proved the HRT was good enough. Courtney was up there at Darwin. Tander just wasn't dialed in.

Put it this way, Whincup was way off pace and blitzed everyone at year's end. The #22 wasn't as bad as the #1.

I thought they could be anywhere in the world providing there isn't more then 4 international races in a calendar year

No, both restrictions apply - no more than four international races, and no races in Europe.

Just did a quick search and found the relevant info. In a deal done at the beginning of 2011, the FIA allowed V8SC to upgrade from a National class to an International class.

Tony Cochrane, then Executive Chairman quoted in Speedcafe.com, “Under the FIA ruling, we’ve agreed not to go anywhere west of longitude 30, which basically is Turkey,”

According to CAMS, "So much has V8 Supercars’ international recognition grown in recent times the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) has sanctioned it as an international series, paving the way for up to six offshore events in a calendar year."

Back