2016 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship - Results and TalkTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 4,422 comments
Also really don't get all these people complaining about another Holden. They all whinged when brands other than Holden and Ford came in, and now they are whinging again because Mercedes has left and been replaced with another two Holdens. Make your mind up! There's obviously a reason why there are more Holdens. Is it because they are cheaper to run, is it because you get better support from Holden for running it then you would if you went with another brand like Ford, or is it because they are the easiest to set up? Who knows, but teams don't just run a Holden for the sake of it.
Don't generalise, man. I'm all for multiple manufacturers, hell, I support Volvo GRM more than any other team and I was one of the fans hoping rumours of Mitsubishi and Toyota joining way back when would come to fruition. You do make a good point about the support Holden gives the teams though, but it's fair that people want to see a bit more variety and not have the field so heavily weighted towards one manufacturer. It might be a bit unreasonable in realistic terms but there's nothing wrong with being annoyed about it. I'll still watch and enjoy the racing and I'm not blaming anybody. It's just the way things are, unfortunately.

Makes me wonder...
gYORJN4sqJT63YxwzCxy2UVD5HXLo7BGs2gp28Fdoii6mZN_up6ukfGr9bA4REudhhJMhbVjMxlZJgv3xuFweXyzOyhS9Bru17DIz2SszZQzMrQfo6X5rP_sHHPlg6J7NV-PIpDUz5u1MKYBO5WbWABG9lzeHk-gBOMTY37Fh_o6W8wo0sm2i8xb9g7W2q-BJ34x_E3nkzHbyTZSK1g-tHI4H7k1RW9nYjt8W6ZVvqB-Ej_1RjSDdz2XrBVWDQjXRCTRsPlEJ55rpJrPnO4H1aBS=w470-h313-nc

Maybe they knew something we didn't.

Don't generalise, man
I didn't name names, I could have, but I didn't. But it is unfortunately a majority, I know you aren't apart of that majority though.

It might be a bit unreasonable in realistic terms but there's nothing wrong with being annoyed about it.
There's nothing wrong with being annoyed, but when you have people who whinge about it nonstop, it becomes irritable.

That's just Simon McNamara's style for you - he's always treated the championship as if it were a part of Holden's marketing division.
The more there are, the higher the likelihood a viewer wants to buy a Holden. There's nothing wrong with it.

Makes me wonder...
gYORJN4sqJT63YxwzCxy2UVD5HXLo7BGs2gp28Fdoii6mZN_up6ukfGr9bA4REudhhJMhbVjMxlZJgv3xuFweXyzOyhS9Bru17DIz2SszZQzMrQfo6X5rP_sHHPlg6J7NV-PIpDUz5u1MKYBO5WbWABG9lzeHk-gBOMTY37Fh_o6W8wo0sm2i8xb9g7W2q-BJ34x_E3nkzHbyTZSK1g-tHI4H7k1RW9nYjt8W6ZVvqB-Ej_1RjSDdz2XrBVWDQjXRCTRsPlEJ55rpJrPnO4H1aBS=w470-h313-nc

Maybe they knew something we didn't.
Doubt it. Doing that is probably what lead to him being considered (and his backing from Plus fitness and Dragon Motorsport).

I think that was just more them realising their dream before they closed Novacastrian Motorsport.

The more there are, the higher the likelihood a viewer wants to buy a Holden. There's nothing wrong with it.
At this point, McNamara is pretty much paying teams to not go elsewhere. He was a vehement critic of the Car of the Future regulations, and did everything that he could to block the entry of new manufacturers. It's not about marketing - he has always behaved as if he owns the championship.

At this point, McNamara is pretty much paying teams to not go elsewhere. He was a vehement critic of the Car of the Future regulations, and did everything that he could to block the entry of new manufacturers. It's not about marketing - he has always behaved as if he owns the championship.
Tell me this, if you're winning quite a bit in a series, the last thing you will want is more brands to compete against you as that will increase competition which in turn limit your stranglehold on the championship. So of course McNamara would do whatever he could to let that not happen. It's obviously not what the viewer at home wants to see, but it's exactly what the people in suits and ties want to see.

It's obviously not what the viewer at home wants to see, but it's exactly what the people in suits and ties want to see.
The sport shouldn't be run by the suits and ties that only understand the benefits to their company. The championship isn't Holden's property, however much they want it to be.

The sport shouldn't be run by the suits and ties that only understand the benefits to their company. The championship isn't Holden's property, however much they want it to be.
And the only way to stop Holden from "running the championship" is for V8SC to step in, along with the other manufacturers, and find a middle ground that will suit all teams and cut costs and ensure support for any team switching to a different manufacturer or any team entering the championship with a new or current manufacturer. Until then, Holden will always have a few more entries than the rest.

Holden also has the deeper pockets, and most forms of racing these days is essentially about that. Sad, but true.

And the only way to stop Holden from "running the championship" is for V8SC to step in, along with the other manufacturers, and find a middle ground that will suit all teams and cut costs and ensure support for any team switching to a different manufacturer or any team entering the championship with a new or current manufacturer.
Holden will force the issue to go to a vote among the teams, and then tell all of their teams how to vote on pain of losing works support. Smaller teams like LDM will be too afraid to break ranks, and nothimg changes.

Doubt it. Doing that is probably what lead to him being considered (and his backing from Plus fitness and Dragon Motorsport).

I think that was just more them realising their dream before they closed Novacastrian Motorsport.

With this
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/davisons-decision/
shedding a little light on the matter.
Everyone had to wait for Coulthard. Volvo and Nissan not ready/not consistent enough to offer customer cars. Uncertainty if Ford are returning. My vision was cloudy. I didn't forsee Holden as a possibility for Erebus once Ryan Walkinshaw cut down to two cars.

The car that Novocastrian Motorsport acquired was a BJR or GRM Commodore. If Betty saw the potential to get the Russells & sponsors around Bathurst time, that'd be about right. Betty would have approached them at the time. And quickly.

Holden will force the issue to go to a vote among the teams, and then tell all of their teams how to vote on pain of losing works support. Smaller teams like LDM will be too afraid to break ranks, and nothimg changes.
Then it rests solely on the smaller teams not going against Holden. Of Holden was to do that, yes it would be bully tactics. But, if the smaller teams went against Holden despite the threats, and Holden followed through with thlse threats, the smaller teams could reveal Holden Motorsport's inner politics and string pulling, which would potentially tarnish McNamara and co.'s reputation.

Then it rests solely on the smaller teams not going against Holden. Of Holden was to do that, yes it would be bully tactics. But, if the smaller teams went against Holden despite the threats, and Holden followed through with thlse threats, the smaller teams could reveal Holden Motorsport's inner politics and string pulling, which would potentially tarnish McNamara and co.'s reputation.
It's a bit Naive to think a team would risk it's existence on such a thing.

Maybe I can pick up one of the old cars cheap...

Actually, I wonder if there's a chance that we might see both Mercs in the Dunlop series either this year or next? If they not going to be doing anything with them, why not loan them both out to one of the DVS teams?

Actually, I wonder if there's a chance that we might see both Mercs in the Dunlop series either this year or next? If they not going to be doing anything with them, why not loan them both out to one of the DVS teams?

I'd love to see that. And with the development series running COTF spec as of this season, we could even see them back at Bathurst as a wildcard entry!

The rules allow for any engine to fit in any chassis. Depends how much work would need to be done to fit a Ford or Holden 5L. Hey, If a team want top run the cars as is, I don't have a problem with it. It is a "development" series. :sly:

I think it would be a bit expensive for a DVS team to run the Merc's.
I know it shouldn't be any more expensive then any of the other COTF's but with Erebus downsizing/shifting to VIC, I'd be suprized if they'd be willing to manufacturer spare parts for the Merc's.

Maybe some time in the coming but it would be cheaper to get and run a Holden...or Ford and I doubt Erebus would be able to. Especially with the amount of GT's they will be 'prepping' as well as their V8 and Utes teams.

I want to know if there are any updates on the Ford teams trying to get funding from Ford USA.
Nothing as yet (though to be honest, I wasn't aware they were trying). If both Prodrive and DJR Team Penske can keep up their form, then maybe Ford USA will look into it. But I imagine that they would want an American round to make it a little more worth their while, and going by the Austin event, the long-term sustainability of such an arrangement would be a sticking point.

I'm still convinced that the best way forward would be to ally with a NASCAR or IndyCar event. I don't really know what the following of V8 Supercars is like stateside, but at least this way there would be bums on seats for the other event.

Sad to see the Mercs go, but even sadder that they will run Holdens. Would be nice to see another team running Fords if not Nissans or Volvos.

The Merc has to be the coolest modern day V8 Supercar ever, or at least the best sounding one. Still pumped for this year though, keen to see how Shane goes and if 888 and PRA can go head to head.

That works with the AGP. It's just a bit tough will all the practice and qualifying NASCAR do. If it's raining, wouldn't be a problem to put a show on with V8SC. I just think there isn't enough time to clean the track after V8 sessions and then run NASCAR's events.

On the funding front, Penske is doing his best. I'll try to locate the article.

Remember, Nissan would like to make customer cars. They just want the package to be competitive before they do.

image.jpg
L

I reckon it's safe to assume that the DJR Team Penske sponsor rotation will mainly feature these sponsors, seems as though XBOX have stepped back from their sponsorship role.

View attachment 501316 L

I reckon it's safe to assume that the DJR Team Penske sponsor rotation will mainly feature these sponsors, seems as though XBOX have stepped back from their sponsorship role.

Ambrose is gone. Xbox could be on any car now. Maybe back to a Commodore or Wildcard ride come October. Would have to a popular car or noticeable driver. Maybe Slade/BJR.

New rules for school
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/teams-receive-2016-rules/

Last edited:
I love V8s but, now, I'm thinking "MARC V8." If I could afford to, I'd make a series out of it. Just like Aussie Racing Cars. The racing in that series is intense. The different shaped cars are secondary.

V8s(Gen2 and so on) will survive without Ford support, as Australian Touring Cars always has. The racing must come first. Give us that edge on the seat last 10laps and close finish. I just hope other manufacturers see this as an opportunity.

I love V8s but, now, I'm thinking "MARC V8." If I could afford to, I'd make a series out of it. Just like Aussie Racing Cars. The racing in that series is intense. The different shaped cars are secondary.

V8s(Gen2 and so on) will survive without Ford support, as Australian Touring Cars always has. The racing must come first. Give us that edge on the seat last 10laps and close finish. I just hope other manufacturers see this as an opportunity.
The MARC V8's were made for a South African series which has decided to use the cars but with 4cyl engines instead, from what I've read.

I don't know how good a series of them would be. I think they would be alright but they aren't built for sprint races.

Back